Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

400 foot? NOPE

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

400 foot? NOPE

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:15 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
We have clubs that fly ON airport property, 2 miles is no big deal with an operational agreeement
As was the one where I used to be a member.

IVO the the heavy traffic in the area of Chino (I've actually flown in/out of there more than a few times), it seems like ample incentive to make sure there isn't a second incident.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Well it doesn't happen often but we can agree on that
Old 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It is a rule in the AMA safety code. I believe it is also a rule in the FAR. And a rule per law. When within 5 miles of an airport there is a 400 foot ceiling that model airplanes and other sUAS must not cross.
I need a GIF of a dog chasing it's tail here.....

First, it was NEVER and AMA Rule. The AMA Safety Code has always said not to fly over 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport without notifying said airport. So clearly, AMA does not prohibit flying over 400 feet, it only requires you notify an airport within 3 miles of you if you intend to do so.

There is no such rule in the FARs. Part 101.41, which come next month will govern hobby operations, also doe not have anything to say about altitude. So how long do we have to live with this myth?? Where you got the 400 feet 5 miles thing is a mystery.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

First, it was NEVER and AMA Rule. The AMA Safety Code has always said not to fly over 400 feet within 3 miles of an airport without notifying said airport. So clearly, AMA does not prohibit flying over 400 feet, it only requires you notify an airport within 3 miles of you if you intend to do so.

There is no such rule in the FARs. Part 101.41, which come next month will govern hobby operations, also doe not have anything to say about altitude. So how long do we have to live with this myth?? Where you got the 400 feet 5 miles thing is a mystery.
https://youtu.be/XoS-MCnTPtQ sorry...best I could do, after 5 tries I give up!

Last edited by porcia83; 07-27-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM
porcia83
Banned

We have clubs that fly ON airport property, 2 miles is no big deal with an operational agreeement
Same. One club I've flown at is at fully operational municipal airport, and it's virtually off the side of the end of the runway. Been there for years, and they get along fantastic with the airport.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ok my bad, confused the safety code and 336, not sure about part 101, when I tried to pull it up I got the existing one.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Lake Land R/C inc. fly at 0WI8 (Google it) we often fly over 400'. the pattern is 1885 msl and the airport Elev is 885' msl or 1000' AGL. Our real problem exist when we have a wind is calm or that it is from 80 to 280 degrees which makes RW18 the active. Because of the Surrounding Corn we post a look out by the tetheadren on the N-S Runway to watch for Aircraft using RW18 right from the hanger area on the north end of the field.
Note:
The West end of the E-W Runway has ounce again , after 20 years, been turned back into a corn field.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1374...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1394...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Last edited by HoundDog; 07-27-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Silent-AV8R

Ok my bad, confused the safety code and 336, not sure about part 101, when I tried to pull it up I got the existing one.
Part 101.41 codifies Section 336 into the Federal Aviation Regulations. It goes into effect August 28, 2016. It was part of the NPRM issued in January 2015. Part 107 also goes into effect in August and will govern predominantly non-hobby operations. However, for those hobbyists who prefer to completely eschew anything to do with the AMA you can operate under 107. I would think that the Commander will take this route since it is one with greater enforcement and compliance guarantees, which is something he has been pushing for.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Like my signature at the bottom says
"Just fly Like U always did, Keep out of the way, and all will be OK."
Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hounddog
like my signature at the bottom says
"just fly like u always did, keep out of the way, and all will be ok."
bingo.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:29 PM
franklin_m

Part 101.41 codifies Section 336 into the Federal Aviation Regulations. It goes into effect August 28, 2016. It was part of the NPRM issued in January 2015. Part 107 also goes into effect in August and will govern predominantly non-hobby operations. However, for those hobbyists who prefer to completely eschew anything to do with the AMA you can operate under 107. I would think that the Commander will take this route since it is one with greater enforcement and compliance guarantees, which is something he has been pushing for.
The beauty of the email from the FAA is that if I don't have to be a member of a CBO to legally fly under 101. I might just join the ranks of the "freeloaders."
Old 07-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The beauty of the email from the FAA is that if I don't have to be a member of a CBO to legally fly under 101. I might just join the ranks of the "freeloaders."
Economic analysis, economic analysis.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:37 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Economic analysis, economic analysis.
Not being required to lay $75 at the alter of the AMA each year means I could buy more HK batteries...things I can actually use!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:23 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not being required to lay $75 at the alter of the AMA each year means I could buy more HK batteries...things I can actually use!
Christmas in July, again!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

And yet you keep sauntering up to the alter and pulling out the wallet. The solution is simple of course, just stop. Nobody forces you to pay, certainly not required at the school yard you fly at. And since you pestered the AMA with complaints about pretty much everything they did, they eventually offered you the option of a full refund. You turned them down.

The whining about the dues and the cold hard economic analysis as to why an AMA membership isn't for you is well past it's expiration date. Do you stay with the AMA just to be able to continue to complain? I doubt that the complaints would stop if you weren't a member.

So why do you keep paying when you could have oodles and oodles of HK batteries? (off topic a bit I know, sorry...but...fwiw, go with the new Graphene batteries from their Turnigy line.). I thought I saw a review here or elsewhere with rave reviews. Graphene...new technology!

Last edited by porcia83; 07-27-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
And yet you keep sauntering up to the alter and pulling out the wallet. The solution is simple of course, just stop. Nobody forces you to pay, certainly not required at the school yard you fly at. And since you pestered the AMA with complaints about pretty much everything they did, they eventually offered you the option of a full refund. You turned them down.
You've asked that before, and I've answered, but I'll answer again.

I paid over $150 a year for several years, some to AMA, some to the club. I noted that over time, I seldom flew at the club anymore - choosing instead to fly closer to home where I spent more time flying and less time getting there and back. So I decided to stop the club membership, but maintain AMA to keep open the option to fly once or twice a year as a guest.

I also set for myself a deadline of my next renewal (December 2016), to decide on whether to keep the AMA at all. It's true that AMA offered me a chance to get a full refund, and I declined, because I intended to keep to my self-established timeline for a decision.

I'm now seven months into 2016, and still haven't once flown anything that requires a club field. In December 2016 I'll decide whether continued membership in the AMA is of value.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:06 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I paid over $150 a year for several years, some to AMA, some to the club. I noted that over time, I seldom flew at the club anymore - choosing instead to fly closer to home where I spent more time flying and less time getting there and back. So I decided to stop the club membership, but maintain AMA to keep open the option to fly once or twice a year as a guest.

I also set for myself a deadline of my next renewal (December 2016), to decide on whether to keep the AMA at all. It's true that AMA offered me a chance to get a full refund, and I declined, because I intended to keep to my self-established timeline for a decision.

I'm now seven months into 2016, and still haven't once flown anything that requires a club field. In December 2016 I'll decide whether continued membership in the AMA is of value.
Let the countdown clock begin!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

So you made a conscious decision to keep the AMA membership for the off chance that you would fly twice as a guest at a field. And then you turn around and show the economics value of the AMA to you, and complain about the dues. Unbelievable! . We'll revisit the issue in Dec but the chances of you not signing back up appear remarkably slim. I'd put a 6 pack on it.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So you made a conscious decision to keep the AMA membership for the off chance that you would fly twice as a guest at a field. And then you turn around and show the economics value of the AMA to you, and complain about the dues. Unbelievable! . We'll revisit the issue in Dec but the chances of you not signing back up appear remarkably slim. I'd put a 6 pack on it.
Only 157 days left for him to make his final decision.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

How much cost when the HK batteries blow and burn up in your face? Maybe burns up in flight and the flaming out of control model crash's into an expensive Limo or supercar, and it costs well above your home insurance maximum?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 AM
franklin_m

Not at all. It's an example of how I make big decisions. I usually set a deadline at a point in the not too distant future, far enough out to avoid making a rash decision in the moment, yet not so far as to undermine the goal of the decision.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 AM
franklin_m

How much cost when the HK batteries blow and burn up in your face? Maybe burns up in flight and the flaming out of control model crash's into an expensive Limo or supercar, and it costs well above your home insurance maximum?
Well, I have 20 or so of them already. Flown in everything from electric planks (moderate stress), electric helis (high stress), EDFs / racers (extreme stress), and not a single one of them has "blow[n] and burn[ed] up" in my face.

Perhaps they haven't been a problem even once because I apply the same risk management and technical approach to flying and maintaining my aircraft and equipment that I applied in full scale military aviation? Things like knowing the limits of your equipment, measuring actual demand and comparing against predicted, tracking performance over time, performing regular maintenance, plan - test - verify new applications / uses.

Last edited by franklin_m; 07-28-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would suggest careful matching of battery to motor so that the battery doesn't overheat, as well as good ventilation. Good charging practices. As you could imagine I am no electric motor expert.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Well, I have 20 or so of them already. Flown in everything from electric planks (moderate stress), electric helis (high stress), EDFs / racers (extreme stress), and not a single one of them has "blow[n] and burn[ed] up" in my face.

Perhaps they haven't been a problem even once because I apply the same risk management and technical approach to flying and maintaining my aircraft and equipment that I applied in full scale military aviation? Things like knowing the limits of your equipment, measuring actual demand and comparing against predicted, tracking performance over time, performing regular maintenance, plan - test - verify new applications / uses.
Good to know applying all the right techniques can completely compensate for all the shortcomings of poor quality products.

Say when you were "maintaining my aircraft and equipment that I applied in full scale military aviation" I'm surprised to see you used parts from non-certified unknown manufacturers.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:20 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not at all. It's an example of how I make big decisions. I usually set a deadline at a point in the not too distant future, far enough out to avoid making a rash decision in the moment, yet not so far as to undermine the goal of the decision.
$75 is a big decision?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.