Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

400 foot? NOPE

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

400 foot? NOPE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 05:37 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I won't moderate my own thread but please settle down guys or someone will end up doing a clean up.
apologies...thought it was all in good fun.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
No matter how good the news for the AMA and its members there will always be a few that have to rain on someone's parade because they feel as though someone got something they didn't and they're entitled to it too.

Despite all the negativity towards the AMA they're the only voice we have and the only group lobbying on our behalf. I'm glad we got the letter from the FAA as this has been a bone of contention for many AMA members and clubs and I'm glad Andy was able to share it with us.

A huge thanks to everyone at the AMA who made this possible.
agree...at the end of the day we have something verified and documented now, an additional piece of mind for hobbyist.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Flying at 401 feet tomorrow!
I've been flying over 400 feet for decades. What is so special about tomorrow?? Al this letter does is provide clarification for people who seemed unwilling to understand that we were never under any requirement to stay below 400 feet.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I've been flying over 400 feet for decades. What is so special about tomorrow?? Al this letter does is provide clarification for people who seemed unwilling to understand that we were never under any requirement to stay below 400 feet.
yeesh....it was a joke, poorly executed apparently. I've never had any issues going above 400 feet......
Old 07-19-2016, 06:32 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yes, yes and no. AMA gets the advantaged tax-exempt status in trade for providing a service for the public good per 501(c)(3) intent. Running a private members-only club that seeks special privilege under federal law for it's dues-paying members doesn't much resemble a service for the public good to me. YMMV, and I'm certain it does.

If you want to discuss it further, start another thread. This one has already taken enough off-topic trajectories.
The comment above is amazingly laughable. Anyone else see the humor in his post?
Old 07-19-2016, 06:44 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by TimJ
The comment above is amazingly laughable. Anyone else see the humor in his post?
The humor quickly turns to sadness when you realize some actually believe this stuff.

A private members-only club? Seriously? Where do folks get these ideas? I've never voted on anyone becoming an AMA member nor have I ever heard of anyone having their application for membership in the AMA denied.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Indeed, just want to make sure it stays civil.

There's a lot of things the AMA does that the general membership doesn't realize, despite advertising it. Scholarships for youth members, Camp AMA, there's a ton of community outreach the education department does, the AMA sim trailer at events both RC and non-RC has gone over extremely well wherever I've seen it. Look up the program UAS for STEM to involve youth in STEM programs. That's just off the top of my head.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

It makes me shake my head with a frown. It does not make me laugh.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Some of the comments used to be funny, or just make me wonder if they were hyperbole or sarcasm, but eventually you come to realize there are tons of conspiracy theories and instransient positions people are going to take, despite any evidence to the contrary. The skepticism and negatively is disappointing, but what can you do?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
No , I don't see it as humorous , I see it as someone wanting to hear what public good comes out of the AMA for us to deserve our tax exempt status . At the most basic level , I'd put forth that our much touted Safety Code , which all must adhere to as a condition of membership , IS a "public service" in itself because of the inherent public safety aspects of following the code ! When you take a bunch of hobbyists and get them to all agree to a set of operating conditions that favor protecting the uninvolved public as much as the active participants , that sure sounds like your doing the public a pretty good service right there , by making sure 200K (ish) folk's models aren't flying directly over their heads , for example . Now see , I answered it and didn't even need to get into any of the tangible public services like the scholarship monies awarded each year , If that's not serving the public I don't know what is ....

It may well be all in good fun , but as Andy noted , things can get ugly or at least seemingly so , rather quickly when certain topics come out . I say seemingly so because it CAN be hard at times to determine intent from posts , in a way like ;

"Was he being friendly/sarcastic/funny or was he being nasty/sarcastic/insultive" ?

and in instances where the response involves the poster himself rather than his post , the nastiness comes through loud and clear . Do you see how I answered CJ's post above without taking any shots at him personally , I gave a factual non confrontational answer that did not make a joke of his question because I DO believe a safe set of operating standards are a public service , and no moderator will have to ask that post be toned down . Now , I will not speak for Andy here , but I think that because he posted what he did that he may have thought he saw a bit of that nastiness bubbling up and wanted to nip it in the bud right then and there .

And Good For Andy !!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is supposed to be a celebration that we've finally "got it in writing" . As Silent mentioned , LOTS of folks , folks running clubs even , thought the 400 foot thing was absolute . I know from the wording of the FAA UAS operator's conditions I was forced to agree to for the number I got it sure looked that way to me , and to have it in writing that we DO have permission to fly above 400 feet at our discretion is nothing short of a hobby savior as far as I'm concerned .

+1. We should celebrate good news!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	2173610  
Old 07-19-2016, 08:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Indeed, just want to make sure it stays civil.

There's a lot of things the AMA does that the general membership doesn't realize, despite advertising it. Scholarships for youth members, Camp AMA, there's a ton of community outreach the education department does, the AMA sim trailer at events both RC and non-RC has gone over extremely well wherever I've seen it. Look up the program UAS for STEM to involve youth in STEM programs. That's just off the top of my head.
One of our members (Tyler McCormack) received $9500 in scholarships this year, he's well on his way to being an ambassador for the hobby. I loved the Sim trailer the first time I saw it, and volunteered to work in it during the Maine Jet Rally a few years back. Tony Stillman does a great job hauling that thing around the country. The AMA is certainly different things to different people and it some feel it's something they have to have to fly at a field, and that's it, well that's fine. They do however provide many more things to members and to clubs, and I'd venture a guess to say that most clubs and members don't avail themselves of the full scope of benefits afforded to them. This was good news though, and a copy of this letter is already at my club. Thanks again for sharing it.
One of c
Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 AM
BarracudaHockey

I went to a meeting last week for one of the local clubs to do a little Q&A with the new VP thing and talk a little about AMA programs. I opened by asking a few questions to the 30 or so members present by show of hands and there's a lot of misconceptions out there.

1. How many here believe its true that you have to fly at an AMA club field or event to be covered by AMA insurance?

2. How many believe there's a 400 foot altitude limit imposed by the FAA?

3. If your trailer gets broken into and your equipment stolen will the AMA help you recoup some of the cost?

An astonishing number of folks were 0 for 3
Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

I went to a meeting last week for one of the local clubs to do a little Q&A with the new VP thing and talk a little about AMA programs. I opened by asking a few questions to the 30 or so members present by show of hands and there's a lot of misconceptions out there.

1. How many here believe its true that you have to fly at an AMA club field or event to be covered by AMA insurance?

3. If your trailer gets broken into and your equipment stolen will the AMA help you recoup some of the cost?

Not sure about #3 myself. But never had a hobby trailer so never thought about it.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

not astonishing at all.
they join because they have to in order to fly at the club, and so, they associate the membership with the field.
all the rest is just the usual scuttlebutt that flows around any groups of people that really are not invested in the organization, and believe whatever the "hot guys" say.
it is rather universal.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I'm not surprised at all. If only the AMA membership manual was required reading....

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf
Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
not astonishing at all.
they join because they have to in order to fly at the club, and so, they associate the membership with the field.
all the rest is just the usual scuttlebutt that flows around any groups of people that really are not invested in the organization, and believe whatever the "hot guys" say.
it is rather universal.
I guess another way to say it would be disappointing then. But I agree with the rest of what you said. Many just have the membership to fly, and many are not invested in the organization and it's full benefits.

I'll add another one to the list of questions.....Do you think the AMA would pay for damages to your field caused by bugs? I know the answer to this one.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not sure about #3 myself. But never had a hobby trailer so never thought about it.
Trailer, car, whatever. Yes, up to 1000 dollars with proper documentation and a police report.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by porcia83

+1. We should celebrate good news!
+1
Old 07-19-2016, 12:04 PM
TimJ

Not shocking at all. I run across this all the time.
Even after explaining it to people, you can come back months later and ask the same question. Few will retain the information.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:08 AM
rcmiket

Trailer, car, whatever. Yes, up to 1000 dollars with proper documentation and a police report.
Is “excess” to any other applicable coverage such as homeowner’s.

Just to be clear on this. As was pointed out earlier a vast majority of the AMA membership associate it was club membership in order to fly you must belong.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-20-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket

That's different than how other insurance works because?

Just to be clear on this. As was pointed out earlier a vast majority of the AMA membership associate it was club membership in order to fly you must belong.

Mike
Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 AM
BarracudaHockey

That's is true and that's the same as your AMA Liability insurance. However, if you don't have homeowners then AMA becomes primary.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
Which usually has a deductible, and excludes aircraft. My deductible works out to be about $1,400.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

That's is true and that's the same as your AMA Liability insurance. However, if you don't have homeowners then AMA becomes primary.
Since the FAA called model airplanes aircraft, most homeowners insurance does not cover model airplanes. My policy specifically excludes aircraft, and so now they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.