Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA: CBO Membership NOT required to comply with 336

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:16 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Plus, flying over 400 feet "near an airport" is not prohibited by the Safety Code. All the AMA Safety Code requires is notification of doing so when within 3 miles of an airport. Given that Part 101.41 requires notification already when within 5 miles of an airport I suspect that we will see the Safety Code changed to reflect the requirements of the law.
And the 5 mile notification requirement has been out since 2012, and yet it's still not incorporated into the code?
Old 09-02-2016, 07:03 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And the 5 mile notification requirement has been out since 2012, and yet it's still not incorporated into the code?
Given that it is now actually codified into the FARs I suspect that the Code will be changed. Prior to that point Section 336 did not actually apply to individual modelers, instead it prescribed for the FAA the set of sUAS that are exempted from future regulation. Now that FAA has incorporated that section into the FARs it applies directly to hobby operators.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have never seen an instance where the insurance coverage was contingent upon compliance with the Safety Code. AMA strongly implies this is the case, but in practice it does not seem to happen that way. Much like your auto insurance still applies even if you are speeding and cause an accident.

Plus, flying over 400 feet "near an airport" is not prohibited by the Safety Code. All the AMA Safety Code requires is notification of doing so when within 3 miles of an airport. Given that Part 101.41 requires notification already when within 5 miles of an airport I suspect that we will see the Safety Code changed to reflect the requirements of the law.
From the safety code:

2. Model aircraft pilots will:

(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
FAA says to notify the airport but AMA code does not say you have to follow FAA. Optional per AMA.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 AM
franklin_m

Given that it is now actually codified into the FARs I suspect that the Code will be changed. Prior to that point Section 336 did not actually apply to individual modelers, instead it prescribed for the FAA the set of sUAS that are exempted from future regulation. Now that FAA has incorporated that section into the FARs it applies directly to hobby operators.
Knowing that 101 was coming for sure (it was part of the NPRM process for 107), I'd have hoped they'd have already decided what the rule changes would be and had the document ready to publish on the 29th of August.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:46 AM
rcmiket

Franklin, nice job on the article in the new issue of MAN ( Model Airplane News) on Airport notifications.

Mike
Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Franklin, nice job on the article in the new issue of MAN ( Model Airplane News) on Airport notifications.

Mike

It's out already? They told me it was targeted for the November issue.

They did a great job with the graphics. I also have to say the staff was great, very patient. I've written for other publications, a couple safety magazines, some academic stuff, but not like this. They didn't even require the kidney I offered when I opened their final draft and saw a big glaring typo (they fixed it). Photo of me is from my last Navy flight. Awesome day doing a low level and acro out in the 2508 complex in a F/A-18F (VFA-122).
Old 09-03-2016, 06:04 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It's out already? They told me it was targeted for the November issue.

They did a great job with the graphics. I also have to say the staff was great, very patient. I've written for other publications, a couple safety magazines, some academic stuff, but not like this. They didn't even require the kidney I offered when I opened their final draft and saw a big glaring typo (they fixed it). Photo of me is from my last Navy flight. Awesome day doing a low level and acro out in the 2508 complex in a F/A-18F (VFA-122).

Got mine yesterday and was flipping thought it this AM and ran across your article.The cover is dated November 2016 ,you know how magazines are with dates. .

Mike
Old 09-03-2016, 06:10 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Got mine yesterday and was flipping thought it this AM and ran across your article.The cover is dated November 2016 ,you know how magazines are with dates. .

Mike

Cool!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Any chance there's an online link?
Old 09-04-2016, 07:17 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Any chance there's an online link?
http://www.modelairplanenews-digital..._2016?pg=1#pg1
Old 09-04-2016, 06:12 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks, I wasn't able to read it there (gotta pay for it), but I think I had an advanced copy of it a while back Congrats on getting it published, I'll have to pick up a copy at the RC store.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:24 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
Thanks, I wasn't able to read it there (gotta pay for it), but I think I had an advanced copy of it a while back Congrats on getting it published, I'll have to pick up a copy at the RC store.
From the draft you saw, I changed things around a bit, reordering mostly. There's also a bit added here or there.