Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:55 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess our standards for who we want running the AMA are different, not unexpected. I'm all for context, in the right context, here it's not really relevant, appears to be to try to justify what was said, explain the behavior away. The comments themselves are horrid, and why he said what he did shouldn't matter. If he said it he said it. Hard to consider what a reasonable excuse would be to justify this behavior, but it's clear some folks would look past anything, ends justifies the means and all..( a general statement,not one directed at you).
Old 08-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Dokesflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Never read them. I'm more concerned with what is rational and ethical than what is legal.
Would that mean the AMA and the EC should pick and choose which bylaws it follows?
Old 08-04-2016, 03:49 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Would that mean the AMA and the EC should pick and choose which bylaws it follows?
With a situation where you have 4 more than qualified candidates for the same position and the By Laws say you can only have 3 on the ballot and those making the decision on who are it are voting for themselves maybe a bit of outside input would be a good idea. In this case involving the AMA Leader Members.
Just thinking outside the box here.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-04-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:20 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Lol..exactly! Even better..each person picks according to their individual likes/dislikes. Makes for great consistently right? #mayhem
Old 08-04-2016, 05:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
With a situation where you have 4 more than qualified candidates for the same position and the By Laws say you can only have 3 on the ballot and those making the decision on who are it are voting for themselves maybe a bit of outside input would be a good idea. In this case involving the AMA Leader Members.
Just thinking outside the box here.
Mike
Ah but leader members have already been consulted about this...they are involved in voting on the very bylaws we're discussing here.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:08 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ah but leader members have already been consulted about this...they are involved in voting on the very bylaws we're discussing here.
When? See mongo's last post above. The EC operates under standing rules purely of their own creation and untainted by vote of leader members.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:14 AM
rcmiket

When? See mongo's last post above. The EC operates under standing rules purely of their own creation and untainted by vote of leader members.
Yep. LM's can submit changes to the By-Laws to be voted on but I'm not sure they can vote on said change. While EC members can vote for themselves to be put on the ballot it does look rather "fishy" ( for lack of a better word) when a qualified "outsider" is left off, does it not?
Why put themselves in this position and because they can isn't a explanation.

Mike
Old 08-04-2016, 06:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yep. LM's can submit changes to the By-Laws to be voted on but I'm not sure they can vote on said change. While EC members can vote for themselves to be put on the ballot it does look rather "fishy" ( for lack of a better word) when a qualified "outsider" is left off, does it not?

Mike
Are either of you leader members?
Old 08-04-2016, 06:47 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by init4fun
It begs the question , if there were four qualified candidates under consideration , I wonder why the fourth name couldn't have been added to the Ballot ? Is there some bylaw or something limiting the field to three ?
Yes, the AMA Bylaws dictate that only 3 candidates can be on the ballet. An elections committee is then to determine which candidate get to be on the ballet.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-14-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 AM
TimJ

Just as a point or two of clarification. I've already noted I would think someone being involved in this hobby from a retail/business perspective would be fine, and in fact may prove helpful in dealing with some of the issues that might come up in the future. Perhaps they can leverage their actual real life experiences and find a way to have that benefit the AMA and it's members, come up with new marketing initiatives (like the one now where a shop gets a fee for signing new members up). I don't know what Larry or Eric do for a living, but I wouldn't automatically discount a vote for them if they were connected to the industry. And Rich was/is already on the AMA payroll. Real life experience is absolutely helpful. BUT...what little I've seen from Tiano so far would seem to indicate he's looking to make changes that benefit his businesses, and other ones similar to HIM. Specific rule changes for giant scale aircraft, additional benefits (more insurance and primary) by way of insurance to promoters and vendors, of which he is both. Sorry, I have a huge issue with that. Others may disagree and that's fine, but that's my read on it so far. If Tiano would provide some more inforamtion or context instead of letting proxies leak out little bits of information here and there, perhaps that would change. From a purely marketing/promotional effort, I'm not impressed so far. Second hand information, and/or a need to have access to his personal FB page (not the ones supporters have started up) doesn't seem like the way to get your platform out there.
I whole heartedly agree. Once you've decided to be in office for selfish reasons, that is end game for me. We already have a government ran that way. We don't need our model aircraft CBO doing the same.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:53 AM
TimJ

Mike
Not at all "Fishy",Roberts Rules of Order were followed during the process.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Mike
Leader Members vote on by-laws changes.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
Not at all "Fishy",Roberts Rules of Order were followed during the process.
Yes I understand that but since a qualified applicant was denied a slot on the ballot by board members voting for themselves it taints the process. By-laws should be reviewed and updated from time to time after yhis I think they should be looked at.

Mike.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-04-2016, 07:24 AM
TimJ

"Robert's Rules of Order". Below is from Chapter 12 of the book:

The Nominating Committee's Role

The duty of a nominating committee is to find the best candidate for each office. The bylaws should not tie the hands of the committee to find more than one person to fill each slot; the committee should find the best candidate for each office. Persons serving on the committee can be nominated for office.

The secretary should give the committee a copy of the membership list, the bylaws, a description of the duties of each office, and the eligibility requirements. The committee must carefully review the eligibility requirements for each office and see that the nominees meet these requirements. If anyone is elected, and it is discovered after the election that the person is not eligible, the election of that officer is null and void. The committee then has to find a new nominee, and the members have to vote again.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 AM
rcmiket

"Robert's Rules of Order". Below is from Chapter 12 of the book:
OK that's the way it is now. With that said I suggest that they look at the 3 on the ballot rule and put it out for a vote. maybe it's time for a update there. Seems like we don't have a problem finding qualified individuals to run for office do we?

Mike
Old 08-04-2016, 07:34 AM
TimJ

OK that's the way it is now. With that said I suggest that they look at the 3 on the ballot rule and put it out for a vote. maybe it's time for a update there. Seems like we don't have a problem finding qualified individuals to run for office do we?

Mike
Exactly.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Hypothetically, yes when the EC has presented proposed by-laws changes to them for voting. I know there are leader members following this discussion. How many times have you done so?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 AM
TimJ

How many times have you done so?
Not too long ago we had to vote on 3 different by-law changes.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:40 AM
cj_rumley

Not too long ago we had to vote on 3 different by-law changes.
Thanks, Tim. We all know it's the rulers that make the rules, and now I feel better informed about how they go about doing it.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
CJ is correct here that context would help . To post such a response as a "first strike" would be a far different (and more character damaging) thing than posting it after several terse communications had been sent back & forth . For all I know he could have been being badgered for weeks , or he could have just "gone off" without provocation but without the all important context it is impossible to judge . Now , let's pretend and say he had been being badgered for some time and finally had had enough , well let me ask , no matter how saintly folks try to act here to stay within the RCU rules , can anyone here show me one person who has not responded with an angry post of their own when they felt they had been sufficiently provoked ? And before you say it , call this a preemptive strike , yes sir Porcia , you too most certainly have posted in anger here yourself . We ALL have . Does that automatically make YOU (and every one of us) unfit for AMA office ?

Another good point of checks & balances and the need to occasionally review "Da Rulz" for possible areas that could use updating or a bit of fine tuning as the years pass . Today's situation is far different than when the rules were first written and there have been many successful modifications to the rules along the way , like for instance the change in the rules just recently where the #550 FPV guys got a gift in the form of not having to be the secondary pilot on a buddy box with the LOS (non goggle wearing) pilot as primary . My personal belief is that the "original #550" was fine in itself and provided the required level of safety but enough at the AMA felt change was needed and lo and behold the change was made . I think if we can , in my opinion , relax a safety related rule such as we did with #550 , it really shouldn't be much of a stretch to modify the "and the number of the counting shall be three" edict if enough fellow members want it to be so .

Thank You CJ , you brought up two very interesting points here ......
Interesting way to respond and make it personal about me and/or my posts here. I knew someone would go there...lol. but ya, no. Irrelevant as I'm not the one running for office.

People are certainly prone to making mistakes nobody is perfect I don't care how he was taunted or provoked his response is completely unacceptable as is any attempts to make apologies on his behalf or explain that type of behavior. He is running for an office that represents every modeller and to call somebody names make veiled threats and then use the horribly insensitive words that he did to describe somebody are completely and unilaterally unacceptable it's equally as shameful for anyone to try to make an excuse for it.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

But to answer your other question yes if I had written those things out of anger or pure stupidity that would absolutely and should absolutely take me out of running for any office
Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 AM
rcmiket

Thanks, Tim. We all know it's the rulers that make the rules, and now I feel better informed about how they go about doing it.
Being probably one of the newest LM's in the AMA I look forward to being part of the decision making process.

Mike
Old 08-04-2016, 11:37 AM
cj_rumley

Interesting way to respond and make it personal about me and/or my posts here. I knew someone would go there...lol. but ya, no. Irrelevant as I'm not the one running for office.

People are certainly prone to making mistakes nobody is perfect I don't care how he was taunted or provoked his response is completely unacceptable as is any attempts to make apologies on his behalf or explain that type of behavior. He is running for an office that represents every modeller and to call somebody names make veiled threats and then use the horribly insensitive words that he did to describe somebody are completely and unilaterally unacceptable it's equally as shameful for anyone to try to make an excuse for it.
You're really stretching this attack on FT with all you can muster, aren't you? Who did he 'describe' his antagonist to, other than somebody that dredged up a personal retort that was made public for exactly the same reason that you harbor. "Unilaterally," nice word choice. Post the Email(s) FT was reacting to, and that issue goes away. "Excuse," I don't apologize for Frank. I will that say his colorful language isn't far from what I use in responding to callers "from the IRS" informing me I am being sued by them blah,blah, and others that inform me "there's something wrong with your computer and you need to blah, blah ."
The crackpot sent Emails to Frank calling him a fat drunken (insert word of your choice for a feminine hygiene apparatus) and I suppose Frank should have invited him over for high tea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.