Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Well, it comes down to this. I see value in shaking the tree from time to time. This appears to be one such opportunity.
So allow me to parse that carefully worded statement. You aren't necessarily saying it's good that he is the one shaking the tree, it's just a general statement that it's good to shake the tree from time to time, and this might be the time. But the honest question is, do you want to see this tree rocked to the point this kind of guy is elected, if for no other reason that to watch the ensuing chaos? This is a guy who has had repeated issues with safety at his events. He had to actually move one in FL as the noise and crashes annoyed the neighbors and they were literally shutting down his operation. DIdn't you try to have a discussion with him about the crash where the pilot and the spotter were burned, and he completely ignored you? I mean, even the AMA responded to you, and that still wasn't enough. What kind of response do you think you'll get if he's running the show?

Agents of change and "disrupters" have their place for sure, but usually come from within. Although Frank "was" within years ago, he left the AMA as an AVP after 5 years, to date we don't know why. Other than writing a letter that went nowhere, what has he done to become familiar with what is going on in Muncie. Yes, he donates money and product to the AMA Expo, great. Yes, he puts on self serving giant scale events. Great. What has prepared him to lead a team of folks, but more importantly deal with the feds.

As you mull it over, check your e-mail.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:30 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001264602989

From his FB page Frank's interested in running and considering the low voter turn out he may just get a shot at this. The Scale Community is a pretty vocal bunch and Franks name is well known among them. Social media is a tool and his supporters will use it.

From Frank on his page as some don't FB.

"Okay, New AMA information.I did some research and found out the following "facts". Only Adult full paying AMA members get a Ballot to vote for Officers.
ONLY the legitimate ballot received in your mailbox is considered. No Copies. If you lose your ballot and ask for a replacement, you may NOT have one! In past elections, an average of 4000 votes were tabulated. They are tabulated by unconcerned individuals, no hanky-panky. The last AMA pres. to win the office with a Write-in program was Jim McNeil. So, with that in mind, I'd like to run for AMA president and will accept as many write-in votes as I can get. Remember, they may only come on a legitimate AMA ballot from an AMA member. So any friends who are not AMA members will not be able to lend their support. I will see what it will take to run a small advert in one of the magazines to inform the membership at large that I am asking for their vote. If you agree I'll do a good job, I welcome your support and your vote."

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-30-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:41 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket

From his FB page Frank's interested in running and considering the low voter turn out he may just get a shot at this. The Scale Community is a pretty vocal bunch and Franks name is well known among them. Social media is a tool and his supporters will use it.

"Okay, New AMA information.I did some research and found out the following "facts". Only Adult full paying AMA members get a Ballot to vote for Officers.
ONLY the legitimate ballot received in your mailbox is considered. No Copies.
I would hope that was intuitively obvious.

If you lose your ballot and ask for a replacement, you may NOT have one! In past elections, an average of 4000 votes were tabulated. They are tabulated by unconcerned individuals, no hanky-panky. The last AMA pres. to win the office with a Write-in program was Jim McNeil. So, with that in mind, I'd like to run for AMA president and will accept as many write-in votes as I can get.

Remember, they may only come on a legitimate AMA ballot from an AMA member. So any friends who are not AMA members will not be able to lend their support.
Wow, only AMA members get to vote? What a surprise.

I will see what it will take to run a small advert in one of the magazines to inform the membership at large that I am asking for their vote. If you agree I'll do a good job, I welcome your support and your vote."

Mike
Old 07-30-2016, 07:58 AM
franklin_m

ONLY the legitimate ballot received in your mailbox is considered. No Copies. If you lose your ballot and ask for a replacement, you may NOT have one! In past elections, an average of 4000 votes were tabulated. They are tabulated by unconcerned individuals, no hanky-panky. The last AMA pres. to win the office with a Write-in program was Jim McNeil. So, with that in mind, I'd like to run for AMA president and will accept as many write-in votes as I can get. Remember, they may only come on a legitimate AMA ballot from an AMA member. So any friends who are not AMA members will not be able to lend their support. I will see what it will take to run a small advert in one of the magazines to inform the membership at large that I am asking for their vote. If you agree I'll do a good job, I welcome your support and your vote."

Mike
Good news indeed. Time to shake the tree a bit.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Good news indeed. Time to shake the tree a bit.
So is Frank your man? Do you think he is the best choice to run this organization, or do you really just want someone/anyone other than who is there now, someone who will shake things up?

Without knowing who is on the ticket legitimately...is this the guy you're going to get behind???
Old 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
So is Frank your man? Do you think he is the best choice to run this organization, or do you really just want someone/anyone other than who is there now, someone who will shake things up?

Without knowing who is on the ticket legitimately...is this the guy you're going to get behind???

I'll wait until they are officially announced, read their proposals. Merely having him in the race, even as a potential write-in, will have some effect on the two announced candidates. I look forward to seeing what that may be.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'll wait until they are officially announced, read their proposals. Merely having him in the race, even as a potential write-in, will have some effect on the two announced candidates. I look forward to seeing what that may be.
Really? Have you changed your position already within 24 hours? Weren't you just asking people yesterday how to properly fill out the ballot with his name? Wait, I just reread your response, you never really answered my question, in other words it looks like you're going to wait to see the other folks platform, then go with Frank as originally planned.

"...Please post sample ballot with an example of exactly how you want us to write in his name, that way all of us do it the exact same way and thus minimize any possibility the votes won't be counted.Thanks! I'm ready for someone to shake up the GOB club...."

Say, earlier in the thread you were "pissed" about those folks on the EC who leaked information as they violated the sanctity/privacy of the meeting, and their duties as members of the board. Wouldn't that outrage and indignation transfer down to those who used this information to their benefit, by say, starting a word of mouth grassroots campaign? I'm interested to hear the immorality of one, and not the other. Of it is justifiable in order to shake up the GOB network?
Old 07-30-2016, 12:40 PM
franklin_m

Really? Have you changed your position already within 24 hours? Weren't you just asking people yesterday how to properly fill out the ballot with his name? Wait, I just reread your response, you never really answered my question, in other words it looks like you're going to wait to see the other folks platform, then go with Frank as originally planned.

"...Please post sample ballot with an example of exactly how you want us to write in his name, that way all of us do it the exact same way and thus minimize any possibility the votes won't be counted.Thanks! I'm ready for someone to shake up the GOB club...."

No, not really. I don't want to see folks disenfranchised more than they already are. By posting the exact way to properly fill out the ballot, then if I or others decide to "pull the lever," it'll ensure that we have the greatest chance of our vote being counted. Additionally, until you, me, or anyone actually drops the ballot in the mail, we're free to say as we wish, and change our mind as we wish.

Say, earlier in the thread you were "pissed" about those folks on the EC who leaked information as they violated the sanctity/privacy of the meeting, and their duties as members of the board. Wouldn't that outrage and indignation transfer down to those who used this information to their benefit, by say, starting a word of mouth grassroots campaign? I'm interested to hear the immorality of one, and not the other. Of it is justifiable in order to shake up the GOB network?
Well, I could contend that the grassroots campaign to do a write in could be energized by the leak. Write in campaigns are a right available to all of us in our civil elections, and suspect they're a right in this private group's election process as well. If they're not, then AMA is within their rights to reject all the write ins. While they might legally be able to do that, it's not without peril, as it creates a real possibility for a lot of angry voters.

As for whether the write in effort is justified merely to shake up the GOB network? I'm inclined to say yes - generally I'm in favor of a good shake up from time to time, especially when there's been such a long documented history of declining revenue. For that reason alone I'd argue it's time for a radically different approach.

Now a radical approach might mean that things I like and enjoy fall by the wayside. That's a risk anyone takes if they vote for him. So long as it's an informed choice, then roll the dice, take your chances.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

Always interesting to see the ends justifying the means contortions as well the fluidity of honor, integrity, and a moral compass. God knows the politicians have certainly refined it. I will say the last thing posted by Mike from Frank was well written, didn't have anger and contrived conspiracy theories and cheap scare tactics, it was a good way to get going. Now let's see if that holds when he doesn't get a spot on the ballot at all, or gets challenged on his past issues or current positions. I've read some of the past EC's Q and A threads and have been impressed with the way some have answered their questions. Some, not so much.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:20 PM
franklin_m

Always interesting to see the ends justifying the means contortions as well the fluidity of honor, integrity, and a moral compass. God knows the politicians have certainly refined it. I will say the last thing posted by Mike from Frank was well written, didn't have anger and contrived conspiracy theories and cheap scare tactics, it was a good way to get going. Now let's see if that holds when he doesn't get a spot on the ballot at all, or gets challenged on his past issues or current positions. I've read some of the past EC's Q and A threads and have been impressed with the way some have answered their questions. Some, not so much.
I feel less compelled to support a process when those charged with executing that process don't follow it themselves. That's why I support the idea of a write in effort if for no other reason than as a way to register the electorate's displeasure with the leaking of information (those executing not following the process).

I honestly don't know for whom I'll vote.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Fair enough, I take you at your word.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:32 PM
franklin_m

Fair enough, I take you at your word.
I really am a pretty ethical guy. I'm shaking the he** out our HOA right now. Developer just installed new cluster mail boxes, and gave all the keys to the board president. Another member and I both recommended giving all the keys to homeowners, due to HIPA, privacy, etc. But our board president decided on his own to keep one key -- without telling the residents.

I hit the roof. Trying to give him a reasonable amount of time to do the right thing and admit that he made the unilateral decision to grant himself access to their mail w/o their permisson, but I have a define amount of time I'm willing to wait, but not long. Then "I go public" so to speak, complete with the email showing my recommendation and the other board member's to NOT do what he did, and him saying he did it anyway.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

HOA=BAD

Never heard a good story about them (I'm sure they are out there though).

Old 07-30-2016, 02:58 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Postal cops don't mess around.....once you find one and set them on the scent.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:49 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:57 PM
rcmiket

That's how I feel. I'll read all the proposals than decide. I do like the fact that someone else outside the "circle" is wanting to run.

Mike
Old 07-31-2016, 04:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

As if there is any chance that someone from the EC would be voted for, lol! Funny thing about politics and elections, they all tend to be the same. Anyone "new" is good, anyone who has been in the job and experienced is not so good. They are part of the GOB network, an "insider".
Old 07-31-2016, 10:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

That's how I feel. I'll read all the proposals than decide. I do like the fact that someone else outside the "circle" is wanting to run.

Mike
But wasn't Frank on the "inside" circle 13 years ago when you waned him to win in that election (that he list on a 4 to 1 count).
Old 07-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Mike 90

This cannot be serious! Anything Frank's involved in is for his benefit. I agree with porcia83. His safety record at his events is horrible, people getting burned multible crashes offsite, allowing pilots to fly at there own will and ''fit'' themselves on the flight line regardless of current flyers. The amount of people allowed forward of the safety fence puts the AMA in a position that's indefenceable!The club that I belong to has brought this up about safety and it falls on deaf ears. I am an AMA CD and cannot conceive of someone violating the safety code the way An FTE event does. As long as he continues to contribute monthly and keeps his name in the magazine the AMA looks the other way and gives him a plaque. I see one of the points made was to stop unsafe flying? Maybe Frank should look at his events. Even though the pilots that attend a FTE event know better every thing seems ok with Frank. People getting burned resulted with a statement ''It only took a band aid''. I cannot conceive Frank Tiano in charge of AMA without some sort of personal benefit. That's called M.O.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike 90
This cannot be serious! Anything Frank's involved in is for his benefit. I agree with porcia83. His safety record at his events is horrible, people getting burned multible crashes offsite, allowing pilots to fly at there own will and ''fit'' themselves on the flight line regardless of current flyers. The amount of people allowed forward of the safety fence puts the AMA in a position that's indefenceable!The club that I belong to has brought this up about safety and it falls on deaf ears. I am an AMA CD and cannot conceive of someone violating the safety code the way An FTE event does. As long as he continues to contribute monthly and keeps his name in the magazine the AMA looks the other way and gives him a plaque. I see one of the points made was to stop unsafe flying? Maybe Frank should look at his events. Even though the pilots that attend a FTE event know better every thing seems ok with Frank. People getting burned resulted with a statement ''It only took a band aid''. I cannot conceive Frank Tiano in charge of AMA without some sort of personal benefit. That's called M.O.
There is no doubt he could bring a lot to the table. Technical skills as a longtime builder, and organization abilities as well. Those events he puts together are no small feet. They are however his events, he runs the show. Of course a team is needed to pull it off, but ultimately it's him and his company(s). He's donated to the AMA, or at least events via his companies (all tax write offs), and frankly if he is at an AMA expo on behalf of his company, well that's promotion for him, not the AMA.

I don't know about every event he has hosted and if each resulted in crashes and injuries, but I know about enough of them to be concerned. One person here who is extremely focused on safety hasn't said a word about this, in part because he sees this person as a "disruptor", someone to shake up the good old boy network. My concern is, what cost?

More concerting to me is his temperament and his ability to work with, and lead a team. Although the hobby is in good shape overall, it's a challenging time and we need someone who is able to sit across the table with lobbyists, politicians, and most importantly, opponents. Do I want someone who will personally (verbally) attack others, or threaten those who don't share his view? I can't help but wonder how that would have worked for the AMA over the past 3 years. What happens if he is elected and finds himself at odds with the rest of the EC. It could be a disaster. Even folks who buy his stuff and go to his events have noted a temperament issue. Do we need a polarizing figure running the AMA, or someone who can get everyone together for a common cause?

He took the time to take private and confidential information leaked from the AMA closed meetings to start a word of mouth campaign for the presidency. He is yet to announce his candidacy and fully lay out his platform. With the little information that is out there, it's not clear how he would plan to deal with legislative issues that the "traditional" modeling folks, of which he is self identified, have been talking about. Just lots of suggestions about changes that will ultimately benefit him, and his companies.

I look forward to putting some questions to him when he finally announces his intentions, specifically about some e-mail that he reportedly sent to some folks asking about one of his events. If he confirms they are from him, I would say he should never represent any organization other than his own. Time will tell.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:36 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Mike 90
Links about all these " safety issues " would really help. Seems like if his events were such a issue with safety something would have surfaced before this. His events are well sponsored and I'll add why would any business want to be associated with such a "dangerous " individual if your allegations are factual?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-31-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Links about all these " safety issues " would really help. Seems like if his events were such a issue with safety something would have surfaced before this. His events are well sponsored and I'll add why would any business want to be associated with such a "dangerous " individual if your allegations are factual?

Mike
Hopefully someone will repost this so you can see it. Did you forget about the burn incident that Franklin tried to question Tiano on, but was completely ignored? It didn't happen all that long ago. The pilot and the spotter sustained 2nd degree burns (don't you remember the argument about the degree of burns?) after the plane crashed into the ground, impacted the flight station, and spewed out burning fuel like a blowtorch.

I'll get some links for you, no problem.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:15 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Just over a year ago! Note he immediately absolved himself as the promotor from any responsbility. This was my favorite part though....

"...It was a freaking accident! And everything could have been done to prevent it, is purely Hindsight. For example, the guy could have simply stayed home that day! But that is not the case. This was an ACCIDENT...."

If I'm not mistaken, he seems to be saying...wait for it...that only so much could have been done to avoid this accident. Imagine that? I guess he should have just "believed" that an accident wouldn't happen, and not accept it (harder), and then all would have been well.

Oh, they never figured out what happened.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-incident.html

Another thread, coming up!
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 PM
Mike 90

Thank You Porcia83. Temperment is the word. I was at a meeting were he stormed out like a kid that didn't get his way and he wasn't the point of the conversation. Be careful what you ask for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.