Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Frank Tiano for AMA President

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
There is a hidden discussion in here , just waiting to bust out like the alien in that dude's chest in the movie "Alien" ;

The two gents who have come out with anti drone statements , have they defined what exactly they mean by drone ?

To the public , drones are multicopters with cameras . To the FAA , drones are all non manned aircraft . My personal definition has always been a craft flown for a specific mission , usually out of it's operator's physical line of sight , VS a hobby model aircraft which is flown for the fun of seeing it fly only and always in it's operator's direct line of sight .

So , what exactly IS it they are against ;

1 All Multicopters , even if flown LOS with no AMA #550 approved FPV flight conditions ?

2 All FPV flight , including AMA condoned #550 FPV with it's required LOS spotter , whether rotary OR fixed wing (Easystar , for EX) ?

3 All BLOS flight whether multirotor or fixed wing , which our code presently does not allow anyway ?

I ask this in all seriousness , cause to me since both #1 and #2 above are already AMA approved flight conditions , and since in my personal opinion I only consider #3 to be drone operations , what exactly IS it that they are against and want to change ? I do think this a fair question since there is a difference in the way different folks use the word drone .....
That's just indigestion from the Buffalo Wings....no monsters.

I think it's a safe bet that they are using the terms "drones" in the sense that most would understand...multi-rotor aircraft, either flown LOS or BLOS, I don't think it makes a difference. If it ain't fixed wing, it ain't "traditional". Both have mentioned the complete absence of flying skills needed to fly them (a big red flag for me...absolutes are usually questionable)Neither have mentioned helis. I think both have expressed the thought that the AMA has somehow rewritten their vision and "catered" to the MR crowd, for a whole host of reasons. I don't think they are hairsplitting or being vague...when they say drones it's a drone.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a hidden discussion in here , just waiting to bust out like the alien in that dude's chest in the movie "Alien" ;

The two gents who have come out with anti drone statements , have they defined what exactly they mean by drone ?

To the public , drones are multicopters with cameras . To the FAA , drones are all non manned aircraft . My personal definition has always been a craft flown for a specific mission , usually out of it's operator's physical line of sight , VS a hobby model aircraft which is flown for the fun of seeing it fly only and always in it's operator's direct line of sight .

So , what exactly IS it they are against ;

1 All Multicopters , even if flown LOS with no AMA #550 approved FPV flight conditions ?

2 All FPV flight , including AMA condoned #550 FPV with it's required LOS spotter , whether rotary OR fixed wing (Easystar , for EX) ?

3 All BLOS flight whether multirotor or fixed wing , which our code presently does not allow anyway ?

I ask this in all seriousness , cause to me since both #1 and #2 above are already AMA approved flight conditions , and since in my personal opinion I only consider #3 to be drone operations , what exactly IS it that they are against and want to change ? I do think this a fair question since there is a difference in the way different folks use the word drone .....
Your line of questioning is exactly why I feel that Rich Hanson may be the best man for the job. Especially when you follow the mission statement of the AMA. I know all the people on this year's ballet and friends with them, including the one that isn't on the ballet. It is obvious the folks that are on the ballet that are claiming to be anti "drone" (Multi-Rotor) are not up to speed on current conditions of separation or are playing political games to get elected.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:37 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yes, do that. If it is "not the case this year," the EC has got a lot of 'splainin to do.
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Really?

Yes, write in's are allowed, there will be a spot on the ballot for it.
Well there it is. I can't top that as a reliable and credible source. A write in there shall be!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Dokesflyer

Originally Posted by TimJ
Guys, write-ins are allowed. I've voted every election, and remember a section for a write-in. On another note, Rich Hanson would make a good president. He was a District X VP and has worked extremely hard to fight for model aviation.
And the other candidates have not worked hard to fight for model aviation, especially as the other candidates are volunteers?

Last edited by Dokesflyer; 08-02-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
Well there it is. I can't top that as a reliable and credible source. A write in there shall be!!
See?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:25 AM
TimJ

Hi Tim , I envy your position of knowing them all as friends since I don't know a single one of them . I do give Rich Hanson major credit for politely answering a question or two of mine over the years and quite honestly with all the Presidential election's deliberate dividing of folks I don't see where that kind of separation would be in our (the AMA's) best interest , to be excluding MR pilots . Since Rich does sound like a steady sort I would most likely vote for him , unless of course we're all dead from the zika virus by then ....
OOPS. One correction. I do not know Eric, I did not realize he was on the ballet.

bahahahahaah!.......zika virus. LOL? meh.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:49 AM
TimJ

The hairsplitting begins at the fact that a fixed wing can be fitted with cameras and flown on "drone like" missions if it's operator so chooses , and so to single out one type of airframe from the many that can be employed for a drone mission is absurd . Lets pretend that with a wave of a magic wand all multirotors go "poof !" , back into history and were never invented , does anyone think cameras wouldn't have continued to have been fitted to fixed wing , single rotor "traditional" helicopters and even lighter than air craft like blimps if no multirotors existed ? .
And cameras were fitted to fixed wing and helis. I messed around with Ham TV on aircraft a number of times.

At the end of the day, It isn't the airframes fault for the problems that we have endured. It is in fact how quickly Multi-Rotors exploded and became main stream without any kind of education behind the products.

This is a type of product the hobby industry wanted for so many years. Hints why Futaba released a few decades ago an "auto pilot" in an attempt to appeal to the masses. And there were other companies to follow suit. But none of those products appeal to the masses.

Why you may ask that is the case? My answer is "low hanging fruit". What I mean by that is with RTF Multi-Rotors the assimilation process into the model aviation world did not happen. The availability and ability to fly these aircraft without anyone educating and helping, the masses just went out and did what ever they felt like. Which BTW, this could have easily happened to the helicopter platform, but focus in technology and the appeal of something with such a strange appearance flying around was much more interesting than a traditional helicopter.

Lessons learned from Multi-Rotor aircraft. Our hobby of model aviation really is not suited for the masses. It clearly only appeals to people whom love aviation or have a mind for engineering and want to assimilate to the hobby . There will always be model aviation. The amount of people whom belong to the AMA and join clubs will fluctuate up and down, but it will really never go away.

50 years from now, there will be a new group of people like us arguing that Model Aircraft with anti-gravity technology and capable of flying in earths orbit via FPV should be out casted .....Or something like that. LOL

Last edited by TimJ; 08-02-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:08 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
And the other candidates have not worked hard to fight for model aviation, especially as the other candidates are volunteers?
Hmmm.....If Rich wins he will be a volunteer also, and no longer a paid consultant.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Dokesflyer

Hmmm.....If Rich wins he will be a volunteer also, and no longer a paid consultant.
Hopefully. But it's important to recognize the commitment, time, effort, dedication, and accomplishments of those candidates who've volunteered much to serve the members!

Last edited by Dokesflyer; 08-02-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:32 PM
TimJ

Hopefully. But it's important to recognize the commitment, time, effort, dedication, and accomplishments of those candidates who've volunteered much to serve the members!
I don't think anyone is forgetting about anything of the such?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Dokesflyer

I don't think anyone is forgetting about anything of the such?
I hope your right TimJ. A person who volunteers all of their time for model aviation, as opposed to making a living from it, possess an important quality.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

See?
Yes, I do see. Remember how I said I might be wrong, and that I would check, and then get back, and then that's pretty much exactly what I did.

Gotta love the "I told ya so".......street cred !
Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM
rcmiket

I hope your right TimJ. A person who volunteers all of their time for model aviation, as opposed to making a living from it, possess an important quality.
There's also something to be said for those whom are "making a living at it". They know the nuts and bolts of running successful events along with the business end. I'd say they promote the hobby also. They also know modelers as their livelihood depends on it. This isn't the first time a business man in the hobby has run for AMA office heck I can think of one District VP's doing just that now. .
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-02-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

And cameras were fitted to fixed wing and helis. I messed around with Ham TV on aircraft a number of times.

At the end of the day, It isn't the airframes fault for the problems that we have endured. It is in fact how quickly Multi-Rotors exploded and became main stream without any kind of education behind the products.

This is a type of product the hobby industry wanted for so many years. Hints why Futaba released a few decades ago an "auto pilot" in an attempt to appeal to the masses. And there were other companies to follow suit. But none of those products appeal to the masses.

Why you may ask that is the case? My answer is "low hanging fruit". What I mean by that is with RTF Multi-Rotors the assimilation process into the model aviation world did not happen. The availability and ability to fly these aircraft without anyone educating and helping, the masses just went out and did what ever they felt like. Which BTW, this could have easily happened to the helicopter platform, but focus in technology and the appeal of something with such a strange appearance flying around was much more interesting than a traditional helicopter.

Lessons learned from Multi-Rotor aircraft. Our hobby of model aviation really is not suited for the masses. It clearly only appeals to people whom love aviation or have a mind for engineering and want to assimilate to the hobby . There will always be model aviation. The amount of people whom belong to the AMA and join clubs will fluctuate up and down, but it will really never go away.

50 years from now, there will be a new group of people like us arguing that Model Aircraft with anti-gravity technology and capable of flying in earths orbit via FPV should be out casted .....Or something like that. LOL
Back when I was flying I had to actually charge my batteries AND walk to the flight line, barefoot, backwards, uphill! Now get off the grass you little punks!

I can only imagine the technology in 20 years...let alone 50. To think my phone has more capacity then my first real computer...amazing.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
There's also something to be said for those whom are "making a living at it". They know the nuts and bolts of running successful events along with the business end. I'd say they promote the hobby also. They also know modelers as their livelihood depends on it. This isn't the first time a business man in the hobby has run for AMA office heck I can think of one District VP's doing just that now. .
Mike
Nothing wrong with being involved in the hobby from a business perspective, that might even make someone far more effective when it comes to certain matters. If however they start looking for way to benefit their companies financially, or start making policy changes and/or suggestions that help their business associates in the hobby...that I would have a problem with. Nobody should be excluded from being in office because they may be involved in the hobby already, but they shouldn't be able to profit from the position either.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Even more impressive right? A good old boy willing to step down from a paid position, to take much bigger role as a non paid person. Nice!
Old 08-02-2016, 03:52 PM
TimJ

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply here. Choose your words wisely. I'm sure there are a few people in this thread that both make a living in the hobby and volunteer their time.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:00 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by porcia83
Even more impressive right? A good old boy willing to step down from a paid position, to take much bigger role as a non paid person. Nice!
Sheesh! I never thought of that. Thanks for playing back what I said, again.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Sheesh! I never thought of that. Thanks for playing back what I said, again.
It was so good the first time, I thought it was good to mention it again. I'll cite you as the original author the next few times I mention it. LoL, you're a funny dude!
Old 08-02-2016, 04:52 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Does anybody know if and when the three candidates on the Ballot will be issuing statements on their campaign's behalf ? Have they been issued and I'm not looking in the right place ? (went poking around the AMA website but didn't see any statements) I will agree 100% with the thought that it's very generous indeed for Rich to "give up his day job" to take on this unpaid position . I think another fair assessment would be that since he has been right in the midst of the recent FAA interactions he's well versed in dealings with them and will interact well with them in the future as AMA President . Now this is no slam at the other two , like I've said I don't know them , and that's why I'd like to read a statement from all 3 to get an idea of what they plan to bring to the position .
Tougas has already sent his out, along with setting up a website. I suspect the other two are waiting for some reason, it might have to do with the AMA formally announcing it. I think the formal announcement will happen in a week or two.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Dokesflyer

Originally Posted by rcmiket
There's also something to be said for those whom are "making a living at it". They know the nuts and bolts of running successful events along with the business end. I'd say they promote the hobby also. They also know modelers as their livelihood depends on it. This isn't the first time a business man in the hobby has run for AMA office heck I can think of one District VP's doing just that now.
Mike
They may know how to run successful, invitation only commercial events, but how many clubs have they worked with directly to provide guidance and experience to build successful clubs and club events - in local communities where 99% of events are really located. Hobby businessmen don't really know modelers and clubs that well, they know what sells to modelers and how to sell it.

Could it be that other candidates have exceptional business experience, a track record of accomplishment, really know common modelers by being a common modeler, and the dedication to serve and do the work simply because they care?
Old 08-02-2016, 05:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

They may know how to run successful, invitation only commercial events, but how many clubs have they worked with directly to provide guidance and experience to build successful clubs and club events - in local communities where 99% of events are really located. Hobby businessmen don't really know modelers and clubs that well, they know what sells to modelers and how to sell it.

Could it be that other candidates have exceptional business experience, a track record of accomplishment, really know common modelers by being a common modeler, and the dedication to serve and do the work simply because they care?

+10!

Each of them my have specific and transferable skills when it comes to the hobby in general, the question is how will/can they leverage that into leading an organization of 188,000 people, and deal with the challenges of the times, namely the feds. They won't care a hill of beans about the ability to organize a for profit giant scale event, or the fact that a candidate is the only one who flies each week. Can the new guy go from shooting the breeze at a local club in say, Texas, to headlining the AMA Expo, to walking the hills of Congress and interacting with those people?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.