Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Self Nominating Candidate for AMA President , Good idea or bad idea ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Should folks on the EC Nominating Committee be able to self nominate
Yes they should be allowed to Self Nominate
47.37%
No they should not be allowed to Self Nominate
52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

The Self Nominating Candidate for AMA President , Good idea or bad idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:58 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[h=3]Text Changes[/h]
  1. -
    It has been brought to my attention by a member who knows the process better than I do that my original poll question was so badly worded it asked a question of a situation that really couldn't exist . This member , TimJ , has been kind enough to properly rewrite the question to accurately represent the situation I was polling about . The new wording of the question is ;

"Should folks on the AMA nominating committee be able to nominate other committee members for elected office , YES or NO"

Last edited by RCKen; 08-16-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Lets clarify whats going on.

A candidate must be independently nominated for a position, and accept that nomination. They cannot nominate themselves for an elected position. If more than 3 candidates are put forth that qualify for a given position, then a nominations committee comprising the District VP's and the EVP (total of 12 people) narrow that to three in accordance with the bylaws and standing rules. Also, there's nothing in the rules as they exist right now that prevent EC members that are nominated from being in that meeting.

Also, as we know, there's nothing preventing someone from running a write-in campaign.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:10 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

A candidate must be independently nominated for a position, and accept that nomination. They cannot nominate themselves for an elected position. If more than 3 candidates are put forth that qualify for a given position, then a nominations committee comprising the District VP's and the EVP (total of 12 people) narrow that to three in accordance with the bylaws and standing rules. Also, there's nothing in the rules as they exist right now that prevent EC members that are nominated from being in that meeting.

Also, as we know, there's nothing preventing someone from running a write-in campaign.
Gosh, as I was banging my head against the monitor, then my mouse scrolled the page to see this wonderful post. Thank you BarracudaHockey for clearing that up. OH My.

Last edited by TimJ; 08-05-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:26 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
With a situation where you have 4 more than qualified candidates for the same position and the By Laws say you can only have 3 on the ballot and those making the decision on who are it are voting for themselves maybe a bit of outside input would be a good idea. In this case involving the AMA Leader Members.
Just thinking outside the box here.
Mike
Yep. LM's can submit changes to the By-Laws to be voted on but I'm not sure they can vote on said change. While EC members can vote for themselves to be put on the ballot it does look rather "fishy" ( for lack of a better word) when a qualified "outsider" is left off, does it not?
Why put themselves in this position and because they can isn't a explanation.

Mike
Originally Posted by TimJ
Not at all "Fishy",Roberts Rules of Order were followed during the process.
Yes I understand that but since a qualified applicant was denied a slot on the ballot by board members voting for themselves it taints the process. By-laws should be reviewed and updated from time to time after yhis I think they should be looked at.

Mike.
No headbanging required here Tim , unless your listening to Metallica or Twisted Sister as you type ?

I believe these posts I quoted will give you all the idea of the basis of this thread . Now , If what I'm reading here is wrong , GREAT ! Explain how it is that I'm mistaken in taking these posts to mean that a candidate can self nominate ?

And hold off on the headbanging a bit there Tim , both computer screens & Doctors are kinda pricey these days ....

Last edited by RCKen; 08-16-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Gosh, as I was banging my head against the monitor, then my mouse scrolled the page to see this wonderful post. Thank you BarracudaHockey for clearing that up. OH My.
I'm not sure if thats a complement or a pot shot
Old 08-05-2016, 12:15 PM
cj_rumley

That the rules allow something doesn't compel anyone to do it.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:55 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
That the rules allow something doesn't compel anyone to do it.
Right, a better idea is to let everyone operate according to their own internal "code", ie what they believe is right. It wouldn't cause chaos at all. A fantastic way to run an organization, as long as everyone in that group agreed with the leader. Perfect!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	2175887  
Old 08-05-2016, 01:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

Why bother trying to clarify, the hounds are on the scent, the mob is just around the corner with the torches and pitchforks. Yet another manufactured controversy. Who wants facts and details and reality. Money, greed, power, graft, authority and of course the gravitas of the position of President is what these 3 GOBs are after, and they will try every trick in the book to keep it for themselves!

You are a voice of calm and reason and facts in a sea of misunderstanding.

And no Init, this isn't a go at you in any way, just a general statement.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:16 PM
TimJ

I'm not sure if thats a complement or a pot shot
Complement
Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by init4fun
No headbanging required here Tim , unless your listening to Metallica or Twisted Sister as you type ?

I believe these posts I quoted will give you all the idea of the basis of this thread . Now , If what I'm reading here is wrong , GREAT ! Explain how it is that I'm mistaken in taking these posts to mean that a candidate can self nominate ?

And hold off on the headbanging a bit there Tim , both computer screens & Doctors are kinda pricey these days ....
LOL!!!

In my opinion the text as written is insinuating that a member of the committee can nominate him/her self. That is not the case. A member of the committee can nominate another member of the committee, but can not self nominate.

Last edited by TimJ; 08-05-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

LOL!!!

In my opinion the text as written is insinuating that a member of the committee can nominate him/her self. That is not the case. A member of the committee can nominate another member of the committee, but can not self nominate.
+1. The premise of the question is flawed in that that action questioned...doesn't happen. As noted now, it's factually incorrect. It should be revised to something that reflects what has or is going on, imo.

Man polls are tought around there parts!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 PM
cj_rumley

LOL!!!

Tim, it isn't readily apparent to me what the impact of your statement is.

DVPx says to DVPy, "if you nominate me, I'll nominate you."

What material distinction between that scenario and "self nominate" am I missing?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 PM
rcmiket

Anyone know when the last time we had more than 3 qualified candidates ( number permitted by the By-Laws) wanting to be put on the ballot? I don't. Since this has happened this election maybe the By-Laws need to be looked at to add that extra person if they meet the qualifications. Nothing wrong with giving the membership a larger selection.

Just a thought.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-05-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM
cj_rumley

Anyone know when the last time we had more than 3 qualified candidates ( number permitted by the By-Laws) wanting to be put on the ballot? I don't. Since this has happened this election maybe the By-Laws need to be looked at to add that extra person if they meet the qualifications. Nothing wrong with giving the membership a larger selection.

Just a thought.

Mike
I don't have the answer to your question, Mike, but I agree with your conclusion.
There is no rule (I may be corrected on that, stay tuned....) to preclude the entire nomination committee from nominating each other, and then all twelve decide among themselves who is selected as to fill the ballot quota. That would of course completely nullify the rule pertaining to self nomination with no need to amend the by-laws.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:53 PM
rcmiket

LOL!!!

Sorry but I don't see the humor in this at all.

"Section 2. An AMA Nomination Review Committee composed of all District Vice Presidents "

We had 4 qualified candidates and only 3 could be put on the ballot.

The EC members decided on who was placed on the ballot correct?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-05-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

"Section 2. An AMA Nomination Review Committee composed of all District Vice Presidents "

Mike
Since you aren't a VP, nor are you part of the EC, you don't really have a say in the matter, and obviously can't state that "we" had 4 qualified candidates, even if that was the case. Speak for "you", not "we".

Once again, you are assuming Tiano wasn't found to be qualified, please show me where that's been documented. The fact is that 3 more qualified or more better suited candidates for the position were selected. The sour grapes that have come from this is getting embarrassing.

Being a Leader Member now you should have a direct connection to Harville, what's he say about the whole matter?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Any word back from Harville yet? Does he share your outrage that he and his fellow VPs vetted and voted on the three best candidates? If so did he abstain? If not...do you have a problem now with him!

Didn't he run on a platform of change? So far....no change!!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:41 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Andy, I don't want to put words in your mouth but your statement would imply that anyone who is nominated is placed on the ballot, as long as the number of people nominated is equal to or less than 3.

I don't think that is the case. Am I wrong? The committee still approves anyone before they go on the ballot.

And in that balloting (nominating) process you could vote on yourself, or vote out someone that might run against you. Is that right?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Sounds much like our US Presidential elections, seems like folks are becoming upset with the "Status Quo" where ever it exists?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Absolutely right. There is already going to be change...and isn't that what people want? No...not really... they only want change that they can have exclusive control over...then it's good. But oh if the other side did that... horrible!
Old 08-09-2016, 01:05 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Sounds much like our US Presidential elections, seems like folks are becoming upset with the "Status Quo" where ever it exists?
That actually may be a accurate assessment of the situation.

Mike
Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

That actually may be a accurate assessment of the situation.

Mike
Yup, everybody wants change, until it doesn't benefit them.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:04 PM
TimJ

Mike
Yeah, so what. What's your point?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, you guys are making it sound like the only reason the AMA EC got involved was there were 4 nominations, instead of 3.

This nominating committee has to approve anyone going on that ballot. And yes, someone running for AMA president can vote to disqualify another nominated person from getting on the ballot.

I could be wrong but I don't see where I am.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:26 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by mr_matt

This nominating committee has to approve anyone going on that ballot. And yes, someone running for AMA president can vote to disqualify another nominated person from getting on the ballot.
In this scenario, that is only one vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.