Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Mike Chilson Owner RCSCALEBUILDER.COM Endorsing Farnk Tiano

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Mike Chilson Owner RCSCALEBUILDER.COM Endorsing Farnk Tiano

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:23 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike Chilson Owner RCSCALEBUILDER.COM Frank T. endorsement

I received this from Mike C today.

Greetings Fellow Modeler,

I am writing this email to you as a fellow AMA member to humbly consider that you "write in" Frank Tiano for AMA president in the upcoming election. Frank has announced his desire to run for this office but was not able to get on the ballot this time so it is important to get the word out to "write him in" when your election ballot card arrives in the mail.
Frank has been a friend and mentor to so many people in the R/C scale community and an innovator. His generosity and willingness to share so much modeling information is unmatched in this hobby. Frank has also consistently helped our hobby to move forward with his venues (such as Top Gun and Florida Jets) that continue to attract new modelers and experienced ones and these events help push technology forward in our hobby like few others have. Frank is also a great ambassador for our hobby. I have seen him give many interviews and appear on television to raise interest and help promote our wonderful hobby. Here is Frank’s statement he sent in to the nominating committee at the AMA who ultimately rejected his being put on the ballot.

Frank Tiano’s Nomination Statement
I’m just a regular guy who’s been blessed with making a living from the Hobby / Sport that I love so dearly! If you’re interested, my story is probably not far different than most of yours. I learned to fly RC in ‘72 and by 1974 was a frequent contestant in the many pattern and scale contests held up and down the East Coast.
Sometime around 1973 I started writing for Flying Models magazine, and by 1976 was doing contributing articles for many other magazines as well. I’ve been fortunate to have been published in Radio Control Modeler (RCM), Model Airplane News (MAN), Flying Models, Model Aviation, RC Report, Scale RC Modeler and Fly RC Magazine.
In 1979, I formed an alliance with House of Balsa and Robart Mfg. and we called ourselves “Sticky Group International”. Together we introduced a product called ZAP, a form of super glue, for the modeling industry. That product line still thrives today.
In the late 80’s I found myself wishing for just a little “more” from scale competitions. In 1989 I started a scale competition event, hoping to bring worldwide attention to aero modeling. My vision to this end would be called Top Gun; an invitational event supported by the industry, featuring some of the most talented builders and skilled RC pilots in the world. I’m very fortunate. Top Gun has been a phenomenal success, much to make the public aware of how exciting and fun modeling can be. Based on the success and popularity of Top Gun, I used the same formula to start other events: Florida Jets, 12 O’Clock High and Red Flag. One of these events, Florida Jets, has become one of the largest, noncompetitive, jet-togethers in the world.
In addition, my company, FTE, has donated cash and prizes to many AMA sanctioned events throughout the U.S.A. I have been instrumental in developing the AMA prize program at their annual trade show and have featured their presence at both Top Gun and Florida Jets.
Because of the experience gained in both the Hobby Business and Directing 4 huge modeling events, for almost 40 years, I believe I am more than qualified to be your new AMA President. I have been an AMA Contest Director for 28 years, an Associate VP in District 5, I am a Leader Member, an Experimental Aircraft Inspector aa well as a member of the AMA Hall of Fame. I know I have the “Right Stuff” to get the job done, meaning; to facilitate what the membership really wants. I feel I can be instrumental in helping to streamline some AMA procedures, cut some waste, without sacrificing service and make the organization one that people will be proud to say they are a member of. I have plans to attract more youngsters, to streamline some programs to make them palatable for more experienced members and to offer a respected voice when our “Rights” are challenged. I’m good at fixing things, and tend to surround myself with real experts in the fields I am dealing with. I do NOT claim to “Know Everything” but I sure as heck “Know” how to get those who DO Know, to work alongside me for the same goals. And for the AMA to grow in the way it should, we need that kind of leadership.
I mentioned youngsters. I strongly believe enough is not being done to show them how challenging, and rewarding, model aviation can be. I’d like to develop an event, or events, that offer young people a chance to do something with their hands, and minds, and experience the excitement of watching something they’ve created soar! I eat, breathe and sleep model airplanes and run a successful hobby related business. Let me work for You and Yours. Our organization is “The Academy of Model AERONAUTICS”.
Bottom line, if you’re tired of samo-samo. I’m your guy!
Most Sincerely,
Frank Tiano

Let’s take the AMA back! I cannot think of a more qualified person to lead our organization. Frank's straight forward no nonsense attitude, experience, and knowledge is the perfect match for what we need at the AMA headquarters to lead our organization. Remember to write in Frank Tiano for AMA President when your AMA ballot arrives.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Regards,
Mike Chilson
Owner
RCSCALEBUILDER.COM

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-20-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:46 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got that message also...
Old 08-20-2016, 05:55 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I received this from Mike C today.

Greetings Fellow Modeler,

I am writing this email to you as a fellow AMA member to humbly consider that you "write in" Frank Tiano for AMA president in the upcoming election. Frank has announced his desire to run for this office but was not able to get on the ballot this time so it is important to get the word out to "write him in" when your election ballot card arrives in the mail.
Frank has been a friend and mentor to so many people in the R/C scale community and an innovator. His generosity and willingness to share so much modeling information is unmatched in this hobby. Frank has also consistently helped our hobby to move forward with his venues (such as Top Gun and Florida Jets) that continue to attract new modelers and experienced ones and these events help push technology forward in our hobby like few others have. That seems like a contradiction as giant scale and turbine jet techology is not pushing the hobby forward, it's actual decreasing in sales and popolarity, and only appeals to a small segment of this hobby. There is a new technology that's pushing the hobby forward, but Frank wants nothing to do with it. Returning to "traditional modeling" is hardly moving the the hobby forward. Frank is also a great ambassador for our hobby. I have seen him give many interviews and appear on television to raise interest and help promote our wonderful hobby. Here is Frank’s statement he sent in to the nominating committee at the AMA who ultimately rejected his being put on the ballot.

Frank Tiano’s Nomination Statement
I’m just a regular guy who’s been blessed with making a living from the Hobby / Sport that I love so dearly! If you’re interested, my story is probably not far different than most of yours. I learned to fly RC in ‘72 and by 1974 was a frequent contestant in the many pattern and scale contests held up and down the East Coast.
Sometime around 1973 I started writing for Flying Models magazine, and by 1976 was doing contributing articles for many other magazines as well. I’ve been fortunate to have been published in Radio Control Modeler (RCM), Model Airplane News (MAN), Flying Models, Model Aviation, RC Report, Scale RC Modeler and Fly RC Magazine.
In 1979, I formed an alliance with House of Balsa and Robart Mfg. and we called ourselves “Sticky Group International”. Together we introduced a product called ZAP, a form of super glue, for the modeling industry. That product line still thrives today.
In the late 80’s I found myself wishing for just a little “more” from scale competitions. In 1989 I started a scale competition event, hoping to bring worldwide attention to aero modeling. My vision to this end would be called Top Gun; an invitational event supported by the industry, featuring some of the most talented builders and skilled RC pilots in the world. I’m very fortunate. Top Gun has been a phenomenal success, much to make the public aware of how exciting and fun modeling can be. Based on the success and popularity of Top Gun, I used the same formula to start other events: Florida Jets, 12 O’Clock High and Red Flag. One of these events, Florida Jets, has become one of the largest, noncompetitive, jet-togethers in the world.
In addition, my company, FTE, has donated cash and prizes to many AMA sanctioned events throughout the U.S.A. I have been instrumental in developing the AMA prize program at their annual trade show and have featured their presence at both Top Gun and Florida Jets.
Because of the experience gained in both the Hobby Business and Directing 4 huge modeling events, for almost 40 years, I believe I am more than qualified to be your new AMA President. I have been an AMA Contest Director for 28 years, an Associate VP in District 5, I am a Leader Member, an Experimental Aircraft Inspector aa well as a member of the AMA Hall of Fame. I know I have the “Right Stuff” to get the job done, meaning; to facilitate what the membership really wants. I feel I can be instrumental in helping to streamline some AMA procedures, cut some waste, without sacrificing service and make the organization one that people will be proud to say they are a member of. I have plans to attract more youngsters, to streamline some programs to make them palatable for more experienced members and to offer a respected voice when our “Rights” are challenged. I’m good at fixing things, and tend to surround myself with real experts in the fields I am dealing with. I do NOT claim to “Know Everything” but I sure as heck “Know” how to get those who DO Know, to work alongside me for the same goals. And for the AMA to grow in the way it should, we need that kind of leadership.
I mentioned youngsters. I strongly believe enough is not being done to show them how challenging, and rewarding, model aviation can be. I’d like to develop an event, or events, that offer young people a chance to do something with their hands, and minds, and experience the excitement of watching something they’ve created soar! In previous campaign statements he has noted that the AMA has ZERO youth programs and castigated the president for having the AMA website and magazine and not using it to appeal to youths. Of course, that was wrong. Between the free youth program, Day camps, Camp AMA, and the STEM partnership (which he wasn't aware of), there are numerous programs. None the less, he has had how many years in the hobby, including that as Associate VP (not District), to put youth programs together. Telling them to fly at Top Gun isn't a plan either. Running for president now, he mention developing an event to show them the challenges and rewards of the hobby, but not specifics on those plans or how they would be better than the multiple programs in already in place. For years. I eat, breathe and sleep model airplanes and run a successful hobby related business. Let me work for You and Yours. Our organization is “The Academy of Model AERONAUTICS”.
Bottom line, if you’re tired of samo-samo. I’m your guy!
Most Sincerely,
Frank Tiano

Let’s take the AMA back! I cannot think of a more qualified person to lead our organization. Frank's straight forward no nonsense attitude, experience, and knowledge is the perfect match for what we need at the AMA headquarters to lead our organization. Remember to write in Frank Tiano for AMA President when your AMA ballot arrives.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Regards,
Mike Chilson
Owner
RCSCALEBUILDER.COM
Mike
Great, but who are we taking it back from, where did it go? Did something drastic change that turned the hobby into something it wasn't before? Other than the registration, what needs to be taken back? Any specifics as to how that can be done, other than a slogan?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

We know he has experience. Maybe he won't be the same, but he says nothing about what he would do. Most of us don't do scale and I fear that what may be good for scale may be bad for the rest of us. He needs to say more than his experience to get my vote.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder when the other candidates will chime in here? Sure would be nice to have all candidates available so we could each make an informed decision. Although, with a grand total of three or four forum members responding to the one candidate that has come here, it would seem that these forums are not the most efficient place to reach a substantial number of potential voters.

Astro
Old 08-21-2016, 06:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
I wonder when the other candidates will chime in here? Sure would be nice to have all candidates available so we could each make an informed decision. Although, with a grand total of three or four forum members responding to the one candidate that has come here, it would seem that these forums are not the most efficient place to reach a substantial number of potential voters.

Astro
Once again, agree 100%. In fact that's why I made the suggestion to Ken to allow and set up threads for the candidates to allow them a chance to not only get their campaign statements out there, but also interact with those folks who will be voting. At first glance you would think they would all come to at least the two biggest sites that deal with RC, but it's also understandable why they might not. The opportunity is only as good as those who are willing to utilize it. That whole you can lead a horse to water thing comes to mind. If folks have the chance to ask questions and chose to sit back and do nothing...well, they miss out.

You didn't have anything you wanted to ask of Tiano?
Old 08-21-2016, 07:19 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
You didn't have anything you wanted to ask of Tiano?
No.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:39 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro
Agreed but with "endorsement" emails such as the one I received from .Mike ( RC Scalebuilder) endorsing Frank and the other Mike ( Flight deck) endorsing Eric seems like there's more interest in the election this time around than normal. Why the others won't come on here and answer "reasonable" questions is beyond me.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-22-2016 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Tiano, Williams, and Tougas all know about this site. I would have to presume they know about RCG as well, and would presume all of them would want to get their message out to the broadest spectrum of voters and members possible. If they all didn't know about this site before, they were given invites by Ken. I don't know that I've ever seen Hanson online.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 AM
cj_rumley

Tiano, Williams, and Tougas all know about this site. I would have to presume they know about RCG as well, and would presume all of them would want to get their message out to the broadest spectrum of voters and members possible. If they all didn't know about this site before, they were given invites by Ken. I don't know that I've ever seen Hanson online.
After seeing how you used the opportunity to bash Tiano, I'll be surprised if any of them show up here.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
After seeing how you used the opportunity to bash Tiano, I'll be surprised if any of them show up here.
I think the questions were tough, but fair. Well supported with foundation, and were based on Frank's own comments and actions. Is the alternative to ask no questions, or soft ball questions? I didn't think so. If any of these folks are afraid or concerned about being asked questions be members online, I would seriously doubt their ability to run the AMA. They are going to have to deal with much tougher issues with their own EC, to say nothing of dealing with federal regulators. As you know Tougas was able to field a series of questions when he ran, as well as Fitch. Both handled it as well as Frank did, absent any drama.

Now, another tact for some might be to avoid any additional comments or questions from any site, or any member, and just push information out via their website, or supporters. Tiano and Tougas might get involved in discussions and siphon off votes from each other, and thereby decrease the ability of either one of them being voted in. Williams and Hanson sit back and rely on name recognition and reputation alone to determine who gets more votes. Strategery!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

An additional thought, strategery wise. I think all of the candidates have an uphill battle over Hanson, just because of his name recognition and involvement with the AMA over the past 4 years. Tiano might have had a better shot at taking the VP spot for District 5, and throw his support to Tougas who appears to share similar campaign positions. Both get elected and now are on the inside and can help shape the agenda as they see fit. Worst case, Tougas looses and Tiano wins the DV 5 spot and both are on the EC. Just at thought, we can read the tea leaves and look at the results after the election. It would be nice to see a huge voter turnout.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 AM
cj_rumley

An additional thought, strategery wise. I think all of the candidates have an uphill battle over Hanson, just because of his name recognition and involvement with the AMA over the past 4 years. Tiano might have had a better shot at taking the VP spot for District 5, and throw his support to Tougas who appears to share similar campaign positions. Both get elected and now are on the inside and can help shape the agenda as they see fit. Worst case, Tougas looses and Tiano wins the DV 5 spot and both are on the EC. Just at thought, we can read the tea leaves and look at the results after the election. It would be nice to see a huge voter turnout.
For about half of Tiano's life Jim McNeil was Dist 5 VP. Why would anyone want to be Jim McNeil? How's the dumpster diving for trash talk material re the named candidates on the ballot going? Gotta be ready in case any of them step in it here.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

For about half of Tiano's life Jim McNeil was Dist 5 VP. Why would anyone want to be Jim McNeil? How's the dumpster diving for trash talk material re the named candidates on the ballot going? Gotta be ready in case any of them step in it here.
I guess i don't understand the logic there. Someone else was a DVP for many years so why would Frank want take over? Wouldn't that same logic hold over on the run for the presidency too? I'm not familiar with McNeil so I'm not sure if he was a good VP or not, but either way someone taking over that spot would have their own chance to leave their own legacy as well. Was he that good that someone would be insecure about running?

As for the dumpster diving, we'll agree to disagree. As I noted previously, all of that information was from the candidate himself, he admitted to all of it (he even confirmed the 7 year old e-mails, said they were revised, but didn't produce the originals). I don't know how that's considered dumpster diving, asking him about his own campaign statements and comments. I don't know how we make the important decision to vote for someone if we just take a campaign statement (multiple ones actually) at face value. That goes for all of them.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Patrick R.

If it is not GIANT SCALE it is nothing....
Old 01-24-2018, 12:40 PM
tailskid

??????
Old 01-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Have fair and reasonable discussions with the candidates? Really? More like waiting to ambush them.

An open forum is the last place to discuss corporate business.

May as well call it RC Twitter LOL!!!!!!!

Trump 010 LOL!!!!

Wonder how many posts before the call for the pitchforks and torches went out LOL!!!!!

All for what 15 maybe 30 people some who are not even AMA members? LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Propworn; 01-24-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 PM
tailskid

Isn't this an OLD thread???
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick R.
If it is not GIANT SCALE it is nothing....
Years ago in the IMAA heydays had a friend who was a giant scale addict. If it did not have the 80 inch mono/60 inch bipe span he would look down his nose at your model. I went to a giant scale fly in with a true 1/4 scale model of the Rutan Quickee powered by a .40 glow engine. He was the first person to tell me that I could not fly it as it was an IMAA big bird event. Since IMAA allowed true 1/4 scale aircraft I just smiled and handed him the IMAA guidelines..... Years and years later I saw him again and he asked (with a smile) why I still flew the small models. I was flying a Top Flite P-51 60 sized ARF that I had stripped, glassed, riveted, and generally scaled out. Tthe model did not have an 80 inch span but it it was a true 1/4 scale P-51. Seems there is a company that makes a 3/4 scale P-51 powered b a Chevy engine. My little .91FS glow powered model worked out to be 1/4 scale of the 3/4 scale P-51. For giant scale I still go by the IMAA guidelines but I get a kick out of reading some of the electric powered forums where giant scale could mean a wingspan of 40 to 50 inches.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Isn't this an OLD thread???
Yep, election was over months ago, maybe a year now