Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done the sign 3 fly for free program?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Has anyone done the sign 3 fly for free program?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheEdge
Gents, why does the AMA Expo take place in CA and not Muncie?
Close to lots of members? Plus other things to see and do for family that don't want to attend Expo but can turn it into family vacation w/ Disney, Sea World, etc.?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:07 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Close to lots of members? Plus other things to see and do for family that don't want to attend Expo but can turn it into family vacation w/ Disney, Sea World, etc.?
I wonder about its strategic nature and then ask the same question about Muncie and what factors would determine that to be the location of choice.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:22 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder about its strategic nature and then ask the same question about Muncie and what factors would determine that to be the location of choice.
The Expo is like a "trade show" like the Toledo show. Muncie doesn't have a convention center to hold it in and please don't give them any ideas about building one. Another reason is can you imagine how much fun Indiana is in January?

Mike.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:24 PM
TheEdge
Banned

How about looking at things the other way round relative to Muncie, why not CA or anywhere else for that matter? Why Muncie?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:27 PM
rcmiket

How about looking at things the other way round relative to Muncie, why not CA or anywhere else for that matter? Why Muncie?
If your referring to a location for a national headquarters and flying site I agree. Here in Texas would be a good location also. Weather should be a major factor IMO. Oh well too late now.

Mike
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM
TheEdge
Banned

Not too late to understand the factors that led to the decision and who was involved in making it, no?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:39 PM
rcmiket

Not too late to understand the factors that led to the decision and who was involved in making it, no?
There was no solicited input for the "membership" if I recall correctly, just a here ya go like it or lump it. They did ask the membership for donations to fund the headquarters and received a little over 150,000.
The flying site came later in 1988.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-28-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:04 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

it is said to be real near the actual center of the country, as in drive time from the extreme edges.
and, raw property was really cheep.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:27 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mongo
it is said to be real near the actual center of the country, as in drive time from the extreme edges.
and, raw property was really cheep.
My biggest beef is that there's nothing else there! My family has zero interest in model aviation, and it would be torture to take them there where there's nothing else to do. If I'm going to take a week's vacation and do something, I'm not going to drag my family somewhere that it's all about me. No. When I go somewhere to dive, at least there's beaches and other fun for the rest of the family that doesn't dive.

I'm a big fan of standing up regional sites. Preferably ones located somewhat close to other tourist venues.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
I wouldn't be opposed to something similar to this.
Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm a big fan of standing up regional sites. Preferably ones located somewhat close to other tourist venues.

Ok Guys , So far we have two that think a couple of Regional flying sites would be a good idea . And Me makes three .

I was gonna crack a joke about starting yet another of my infamous Polls , but here I won't joke , because here I do think this would be a great idea !

Now of course I do realize something like this would take time and money to implement , just as the under consideration indoor facility in Illinois would and it's not like I'll be flying at "AMA East" or "AMA West" anytime soon I know , but as a long range plan to "spread the love" around the country a bit I really do think my idea makes sense .

And , of course , Kudos to Franklin for the added thought of "Preferably ones located somewhat close to other tourist venues" !
Old 09-29-2016, 06:57 AM
TimJ

Gents, why does the AMA Expo take place in CA and not Muncie?
Because all of the other major trade show are on the east coast. So the West coast doesn't get any love.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:05 AM
TimJ

I think property values may have had something to do with it? I could be super wrong about that though.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:33 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
I think property values may have had something to do with it? I could be super wrong about that though.
The weirdest thing I can see is being 5 miles of a airport. While not a busy one it is a airport and anything can happen as far as that goes.

Mike
Old 09-29-2016, 07:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Near the geographical center of the country and property costs were the main factors as I remember. I can still remember sending my renewals to Reston, VA
Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The weirdest thing I can see is being 5 miles of a airport. While not a busy one it is a airport and anything can happen as far as that goes.

Mike
The way that very little, non-tower airfield, (not airport) is set up and the way the AMA property is set up, they do not interfere with each other.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:38 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Ya, more of a runway than an "airport" and like Tim said, there's no conflict, in fact, they often use it to give rides when they do stuff for kids at the NAMC