Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should the AMA consider building two regional flying sites , one on each coast ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: Should the AMA build a regional flying site on each coast ?
Yes , the AMA should build the regional flying sites
62.79%
NO , the AMA should not build them and keep all property aquisitions to Illinois only
37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Should the AMA consider building two regional flying sites , one on each coast ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:38 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
But I guess my point is...you don't need 6-8 national sites to show the non-modeling public what we're about. The best place to do that is at your own field. I'm speaking in general terms here, not to your field....but what do we do to invite the public in to our events? I won't go into what I do, because that will be thrown back at me as a negative, show off etc etc..but I think you get the point. There are ways to get the public to our fields, either during events, or not. Do we go to non RC events and promote our clubs and hobby? Do we go into schools and partner with them in any way? Do we invite civic groups to our events like the Cub Scouts, or Boy Scouts, or residents from local veterans homes?
So you bring people out, show them flying. Say this potential new recruit is a huge warbird fan, modern jet type. Doesn't have a big pot of money, I'm not talking poverty level here, just someone who only has so much to spend. But it's a rough grass field. Turbines are out due to cost. EDFs are a possibility, but the runway will rip out landing gear, or at best, make retracts a pain.

So he's there looking at planes that he can fly, overpowered taildragger aerobats. Does he think to himself "I don't care what my interest is, I'm going to get one of those and fly." Or does he say "That's interesting, but not what I want to fly" and then walks away?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:43 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't presume to say what the MR racers need for space, or should be confined to. I don't see their operation as much different than RW, they fly very similar to helis, at least from what I see at my field.
And if you look on the sites that cater to RW, what you find is most aren't AMA members, let alone AMA + club members.

Pretty soon that group will figure out that if they just get a part 107 license, they can even fly turbine powered RW w/o even talking to AMA!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:08 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Above in blue
Just good business.

It's not a business. It's a non-profit organization established BY modelers, FOR modelers and "run" by those we vote to speak for us. Somehow, this concept is lost on you.

I think the AMA already does bring value, tremendous value.
Great! I think you've mentioned that once or twice. There are also those here who disagree, you don't seem to want to acknowledge their opinions as you want yours acknowledged. Did someone mention intolerance?

As for "cost" to belong to this hobby, I've got to disagree with you there
I said,
Originally Posted by astrohog
If they realized that for a mere $100.00 or less they can belong to an organization that provides regional facilities, insurance and advocation for their continued enjoyment of the hobby, they may be more likely to join (good for the hobby, no?)

Now, you can disagree all you want, but it doesn't change the FACT that AMA dues are, indeed less than $100.00. It's okay, I'm used to you ignoring the facts in order to spew your "opinions". I'll just keep correcting you, okay?

But I guess my point is...you don't need 6-8 national sites to show the non-modeling public what we're about. The best place to do that is at your own field. I'm speaking in general terms here, not to your field....but what do we do to invite the public in to our events? I won't go into what I do, because that will be thrown back at me as a negative, show off etc etc..but I think you get the point. There are ways to get the public to our fields, either during events, or not. Do we go to non RC events and promote our clubs and hobby? Do we go into schools and partner with them in any way? Do we invite civic groups to our events like the Cub Scouts, or Boy Scouts, or residents from local veterans homes?
You're preaching to the choir here, sister. Talk about Pavlovian, you apparently forgot my post where I espoused just those same sentiments. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer members that feel the need to take the responsibility to do these things. Here's a thought for ya, I know you will not like it and I know you will certainly take it out of context and dismiss it as a "drone hater" remark (even though it is just my actual, REAL, experience), but it has (generally, not in all cases, of course) been my experience that the vast majority of droners will NOT be the ones to engage in a club, volunteer or promote our clubs. I know, more doom and gloom! That's just how I roll!!! LOL

Again, I look at this as something clubs and us as members are required to do (if we so chose). Don't get me wrong, if a club just wants to have their membership and just fly and not look to engage in any outreach programs, that's all fine and well, they don't have to. But they shouldn't look to the AMA to drum up more members for them, or help support them in some way when they aren't able or willing to do that themselves. Clubs and members are sometimes their own worst enemies. I went to a local one years ago on a Saturday morning with my son, looking for information about the hobby and how to join their club. They couldn't have been more stand-offish if they tried. Stay over there, don't come any closer (planes weren't running), what do you want...etc etc. No brochures on the club, no AMA information...no nothing. I did end up going back again and spoke with others and let them know what had happened, and they confirmed it was an ongoing issue. Oh, the club was on town property on a well traveled street and they were losing members. Go figure.
LOL. EXACTLY! That is one example of the "elitist" attitude I was talking about. Glad you had a chance to experience it yourself, otherwise you might tell me that it doesn't exist! The other scenario you presented is another example of the, "elitism" that I have witnessed and is every bit as off-putting as the first example. My original point was, that by having regional sites, hosted by AMA-chartered clubs that are subsidized by $$ from the collective membership, these negative behaviors would be easier to monitor and discourage by AMA HQ.

Astro