Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is the largest SIG in the AMA devoted to MR/Drone racing? Yup, looks that way!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Ok , so , let me get this straight , the MGP requires an AMA membership , but doesn't verify that the applicant is an AMA member ? Seems kinda odd for an AMA sig to not require the applicant's AMA number as part of the signup process , if a membership is required doesn't it ? And of the foreign members , unless they were gonna vacation here and actually fly here what use would they have for an AMA membership when they are already likely a member of the national model aircraft org of the country they live in (MAAC for Canada and such) ? I thought there was some kind of agreement that for instance MAAC members are covered here in the US at AMA fields like AMA members are covered in Canada at MAAC fields , so a Canadian MGP member has to be required to be either a MAAC member or AMA member , right ?

Again , it just seems odd to be able to sign up to an AMA subgroup without already belonging to the main group that the subgroup is a spinoff of .
It really only seems to be odd for one person and no, it's not you, or even Astro. At least you appear to be trying to get your arms around it. I don't see anything odd or contradictory at all. This SIG can be the the largest AMA SIG out there (it is), it can have members from foreign countries (it does), you can join and NOT be a member of AMA (I'm sure some do), and you can join and NOT race (just ask Mike). I would think folks would actually be happy to see the flexibility this org has. The fact that I want to join this SIG, and live in say Italy, but will never race in the US doesn't mean that I'm not part of the largest SIG in the AMA. I think any reasonable person genuinely trying to understand this can read the information and ask themselves the logical questions, rather than what I think I continue to see, which is almost like trying to argue that that sun won't come up tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The "fastest growing" AMA SIG doesn't require proof of AMA membership to join. I joined today and did not have to provide a AMA number.
What's wrong with that picture but I'm criticized for questioning spending money to court them. Only a idiot would not see the issue there.

Mike
Congrats on joining and maybe becoming their newest member. Of everyone here in these threads I would have thought you would have been the last one to join that group, but good on you for being open to the experience. As you now know, you can join, you can be an AMA member, and you don't have to race.

You seem to be going back to a couple of older issues now and wrapping them into this newest issue you have, perhaps to detract from the thread topic, I'm not sure 100% though. Are you back to complaining about the AMA and their membership drive efforts, or just the whole MR/Drone in the AMA thing?

Let's try to reach some middle ground here just for the purposes of discussion. Lets say all 11000 members are US based. Lets say only 5000 are actual AMA members and race. Do you think it would be easier (and more probable) that the other 6,000 members MIGHT be flipped to full member status rather than not? And would you agree that these 6000 represent a much easier (and therefore cheaper) avenue from which to solicit new membership? Easier than say paying 7.00 for a Google lead? Or easier than your suggestion about how to attract and retain new members.

Actually, you've never presented a plan to do that, never put a suggestion out there on how the AMA should go about getting new members differently than they do now. In a more meaningful, cost effective, and successful way. Unless I missed it, you just continue to complain about what they already do, without suggesting anything else.

How does the AMA attract, sign up, and retain new members?
Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike I guess now the follow on question would be ; Do any of the other sigs require proof of AMA membership to join ? I am kinda surprised to learn that any sig of the AMA can be joined without AMA membership since without the membership you can't fly whichever sub genre of the hobby the AMA sig is catering to .

Like I said , it just seems odd ....
Because it involves the "droners" it's OK with some and we should believe every word as Gospel truth. As far as the other AMA SIG's and AMA membership requirements who cares because NO ONE here has ever made such a ridiculous claim like the head drone cheerleader who started this thread.
Personally I could care less what MGP does but please don't expect me to believe all this crap about the "fastest growing AMA SIG" crap when being a AMA member isn't required to join. That's ridiculous. Do they have 11,000 members sure why not. Do they have 11,000 members that are AMA members I don't think so based on my personal experience joining MGP.

Mike
Old 10-28-2016, 04:49 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I think it's rather clear that joining mgp is no different then joining rcu or any other rc-based group on the internet. No credentials need to be shown at the door to get in.

If mgp wants to wear the ama sig badge they need to do a better job.
What do you think the ama's position on this is ............if they even have one?
Old 10-28-2016, 05:09 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
I think it's rather clear that joining mgp is no different then joining rcu or any other rc-based group on the internet. No credentials need to be shown at the door to get in.

What do you think the ama's position on this is ............if they even have one?
If you look over the AMA SIG application. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/158.pdf you'll see that they ask if AMA membership is required to fly. It also asks is the organization encourages AMA membership along with a breakdown on "the nature of non AMA members".
After reading this application AMA membership in a AMA SIG isn't required with the AMA.
Go figure.
Mike
Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 AM
flyinwalenda

CRITERIA FOR SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS

AMA recognized Special Interest Groups shall:

1. Require continuing membership in AMA for each of its US resident members who fly. It is
the policy of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. that membership be available without
regard to race, color, creed, national origin, gender, age or disability.

2. Maintain a working set of By-Laws approved and accepted by its members. (Send a current
copy to AMA initially, then annually along with your renewal forms.)

3. Elect officers at least bi-annually by a ballot of its members.

4. Require annual renewal of its members.

5. Maintain a current membership list. (Send a current list to AMA initially, then annually

Seems like # 1 requires ama membership ?

Like a lot of things ama................somewhat confusing.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:37 AM
rcmiket

1. Require continuing membership in AMA for each of its US resident members who fly. It is
the policy of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. that membership be available without

2. Maintain a working set of By-Laws approved and accepted by its members. (Send a current

5. Maintain a current membership list. (Send a current list to AMA initially, then annually

Who fly is the AMA membership requirement. Others it don't matter. You get more members if your not requiring the $75 bucks ( in AMA membership fees) to join your organization.

Mike
Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Because it involves the "droners" it's OK with some and we should believe every word as Gospel truth. As far as the other AMA SIG's and AMA membership requirements who cares because NO ONE here has ever made such a ridiculous claim like the head drone cheerleader who started this thread.
Personally I could care less what MGP does but please don't expect me to believe all this crap about the "fastest growing AMA SIG" crap when being a AMA member isn't required to join. That's ridiculous. Do they have 11,000 members sure why not. Do they have 11,000 members that are AMA members I don't think so based on my personal experience joining MGP.

Mike
Head drone cheerleader, idiots, losers,trolls, fanboys, trash...etc etc. The list keeps growing while the adults continue the conversation.

Also...as a member of the biggest SIG in the AMA you might want to familiarize yourself with the difference between a drone, and an FPV racer.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Ah yes, put this back on the AMA. As if they are responsible somehow for the SIG messaging and communication. Do you see them involved with the JPO like that?

I'm sure the AMA has the same position on this SIG as they do all the others, but if you're not sure what it is, you can always ask them.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

If you look over the AMA SIG application. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/158.pdf you'll see that they ask if AMA membership is required to fly. It also asks is the organization encourages AMA membership along with a breakdown on "the nature of non AMA members".
After reading this application AMA membership in a AMA SIG isn't required with the AMA.
Go figure.
Mike
Go figure indeed, an organization that is flexible and allows options and choices and doesn't force somebody into paying for something they don't want. Only in this place can that be seen as a negative.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

It's only confusing to those who try to make it so. You and Mike pass right on by the language...WHO FLY. Do you not see the distinction there?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 AM
rcmiket

Guess we cleared up the mystery here on the "fastest growing AMA SIG ( that you don't have to be a AMA member to belong to)" Now we can move along to the next topic.Maybe we need a poll on if membership in a AMA SIG should require membership in the AMA.
I vote Yes
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-28-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:32 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
It really only seems to be odd for one person and no, it's not you, or even Astro. At least you appear to be trying to get your arms around it. I don't see anything odd or contradictory at all.
I am happy to see that you realize my interest in this is purely for the fact that I had always thought to be a sig member you had to be an AMA member , and with me this interest includes all AMA sigs and not just the MR one . If the MR sig is the biggest , great ! , that's no cause for concern on my part , it's nice to see folks participating no matter what they happen to fly and like I've said folk's interest in MRs doesn't in the least diminish my interest in what I fly .

Who fly is the AMA membership requirement. Others it don't matter. You get more members if your not requiring the $75 bucks ( in AMA membership fees) to join your organization.

Mike
Mike my question of whether all the sigs operate this way was my way of looking at this objectively , and since all of the sigs appear to be allowed to host non AMA "organizational members" who don't fly , I don't see this MR sig as doing anything untoward with non flying members to "pad the ranks" as it were , since it appears the non flying (non AMA) membership option is allowed of all the sigs . I do notice in reading the application for sig recognition that the AMA wants it listed how many are AMA members VS how many who aren't so the AMA does know the percentages of flying VS non flying members . I do not see the benefit to the AMA to allow non member sig memberships , especially if the sig membership is free . I do know from reading a couple of the sig's pages that the ones I looked into did have an annual dues requirement , is it free to sign up for the MR sig ? And if so , whose "keeping the lights on" as it were , if no membership dues are being collected ?
Old 10-28-2016, 06:42 AM
rcmiket

I am happy to see that you realize my interest in this is purely for the fact that I had always thought to be a sig member you had to be an AMA member , and with me this interest includes all AMA sigs and not just the MR one . If the MR sig is the biggest , great ! , that's no cause for concern on my part , it's nice to see folks participating no matter what they happen to fly and like I've said folk's interest in MRs doesn't in the least diminish my interest in what I fly .

Mike my question of whether all the sigs operate this way was my way of looking at this objectively , and since all of the sigs appear to be allowed to host non AMA "organizational members" who don't fly , I don't see this MR sig as doing anything untoward with non flying members to "pad the ranks" as it were , since it appears the non flying (non AMA) membership option is allowed of all the sigs . I do notice in reading the application for sig recognition that the AMA wants it listed how many are AMA members VS how many who aren't so the AMA does know the percentages of flying VS non flying members . I do not see the benefit to the AMA to allow non member sig memberships , especially if the sig membership is free . I do know from reading a couple of the sig's pages that the ones I looked into did have an annual dues requirement , is it free to sign up for the MR sig ? And if so , whose "keeping the lights on" as it were , if no membership dues are being collected ?
Got it and I don't care how they operate the application is clear on membership. My problem is the "fastest growing blah blah blah" BS that's being shoveled my way.. One individual with a agenda nothing more. .

Mike
Old 10-28-2016, 07:45 AM
flyinwalenda

Ah yes, put this back on the AMA. As if they are responsible somehow for the SIG messaging and communication. Do you see them involved with the JPO like that?

I'm sure the AMA has the same position on this SIG as they do all the others, but if you're not sure what it is, you can always ask them.

Then who is responsible to make sure the ama sig's are following the ama rules? As a "leader member" are you willing to do it?

I'm not asking them. If they don't care how their sig's operate then so be it. As a "leader member" why don't you find out since this is your thread?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Got it and I don't care how they operate the application is clear on membership. My problem is the "fastest growing blah blah blah" BS that's being shoveled my way.. One individual with a agenda nothing more. .

Mike
Mike I look at it this way , if someone says something like "The MR sig is the biggest sig in all of the AMA !" and I want to see if this is for real or if it's somehow based on bogus information , I'll try to look at as many surrounding details as possible as to how this stellar performer compares to all the other sigs to establish if there is an outside reason , beyond popularity , why this would be so . Say for instance every other AMA sig had strictly required AMA membership and this one didn't , well that would be a mitigating factor in the increased numbers , right ? But no , all AMA sigs appear to be open to non AMA members so that can't be a reason for the unusually high participation in this AMA sig VS all the others . So now we look further into things , like for instance we look at the cost to join . I am assuming that you paid nothing to join the MR sig ? Just to see if cost may be a factor I randomly looked at a couple of the other sigs and found that there is indeed a cost to join most all of the other sigs , in fact the LSF being the only one I looked at that had no annual membership dues . Some of the others were ;

IMAC = $40

IRCHA = $25

JPO = $25

MACA = $30

MECA = $20 for "internet membership" and $40 for "print membership"

So it could easily be asserted that maybe something more than just the rising popularity of MRs could be behind the astronomical numbers , a free membership VS a paid one being one really good reason for the numbers to be so high . I will well imagine that folks who belong to IMAC for $40 a year most certainly do have one IMAC membership and one only . But a free "no strings attached" membership could possibly have a single person signing up multiple times because that's what some folks will do , in the same way that the "sock puppet" account exists on free chat boards . Once there is even a tiny amount of "skin in the game" in the form of a membership fee , that's where you'll see the the separation of the actual hobbyists of that flying type (MR , fixed wing , whatever) VS those who sign up "just because it's free" . The buried question of course being of those 11K members , how many paying members would that translate to if this sig had a membership fee on par with an average of all the other sig's membership fees ?

Again , none of this is a shot at the MR sig in the least , merely a look at possible reasons for the high numbers VS the other sigs to see if other than the popularity of the MRs alone may play a role .
Old 10-28-2016, 02:01 PM
rcmiket

Mike I look at it this way , if someone says something like "The MR sig is the biggest sig in all of the AMA !" and I want to see if this is for real or if it's somehow based on bogus information , I'll try to look at as many surrounding details as possible as to how this stellar performer compares to all the other sigs to establish if there is an outside reason , beyond popularity , why this would be so . Say for instance every other AMA sig had strictly required AMA membership and this one didn't , well that would be a mitigating factor in the increased numbers , right ? But no , all AMA sigs appear to be open to non AMA members so that can't be a reason for the unusually high participation in this AMA sig VS all the others . So now we look further into things , like for instance we look at the cost to join . I am assuming that you paid nothing to join the MR sig ? Just to see if cost may be a factor I randomly looked at a couple of the other sigs and found that there is indeed a cost to join most all of the other sigs , in fact the LSF being the only one I looked at that had no annual membership dues . Some of the others were ;

IMAC = $40

IRCHA = $25

JPO = $25

MACA = $30

MECA = $20 for "internet membership" and $40 for "print membership"

So it could easily be asserted that maybe something more than just the rising popularity of MRs could be behind the astronomical numbers , a free membership VS a paid one being one really good reason for the numbers to be so high . I will well imagine that folks who belong to IMAC for $40 a year most certainly do have one IMAC membership and one only . But a free "no strings attached" membership could possibly have a single person signing up multiple times because that's what some folks will do , in the same way that the "sock puppet" account exists on free chat boards . Once there is even a tiny amount of "skin in the game" in the form of a membership fee , that's where you'll see the the separation of the actual hobbyists of that flying type (MR , fixed wing , whatever) VS those who sign up "just because it's free" . The buried question of course being of those 11K members , how many paying members would that translate to if this sig had a membership fee on par with an average of all the other sig's membership fees ?

Again , none of this is a shot at the MR sig in the least , merely a look at possible reasons for the high numbers VS the other sigs to see if other than the popularity of the MRs alone may play a role .
There was no cost for me to join MGP nor proof of AMA required.. NASA another AMA SIG I belong to is $20 a year.

Mike
Old 10-28-2016, 07:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Irony squared. Just look away and you won't see anything shovelled your way. On the agenda front I don't think I've ever seen such spirited attempts to deny reality. I'm not even a member of this SIG, lol.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Then who is responsible to make sure the ama sig's are following the ama rules? As a "leader member" are you willing to do it?

I'm not asking them. If they don't care how their sig's operate then so be it. As a "leader member" why don't you find out since this is your thread?
Lol....back to the leader member thing, too funny. That's one of the more awkward attempts to shoehorn that issue into a comment that I've seen, even more so since there isn't really any issues about following AMA rules. I'm not concerned at all about them following the rules they seemed to be doing fine if anything you can check with your friend who's part of the operation and flies with them. Your earlier comments seem to be very positive in terms of the AMA's with them. Id actually like to hear more from your friends experience. Or perhaps we can check with the SIGS newest member.

Last edited by porcia83; 10-28-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Default As one rises....

Aeroworks closes it's doors effective immediately.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:20 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Multirotor racing is the fastest growing thing in my club. We have approx,80 members, 25-30 that fly occasionally and 8-10 that fly alot. The 8-10 guys that are our every weekend all now fly race quads as well as planes. The last 10-15 members to join are all quad guys.. I travel alot for work and visit rc fields wherever i go and the places i dont see quads at established fields over are where the club is full of a holes who can barely fly trainers and whine about everything. In these cases a bit of searching will find a park with a whole bunch of guys racing quads and having fun.. Planes aree on the decline in new flyers. Just like electric overrcame glow.. Fpv racing is coming on strong...
Old 10-29-2016, 03:41 AM
flyinwalenda

Lol....back to the leader member thing, too funny. That's one of the more awkward attempts to shoehorn that issue into a comment that I've seen, even more so since there isn't really any issues about following AMA rules. I'm not concerned at all about them following the rules they seemed to be doing fine if anything you can check with your friend who's part of the operation and flies with them. Your earlier comments seem to be very positive in terms of the AMA's with them. Id actually like to hear more from your friends experience. Or perhaps we can check with the SIGS newest member.
Tom, You started this thread and you made the assertion that mgp is "the largest sig in the ama" all based on a tick counter on their front page. So far you have not provided any facts to back that up.
You can do your own fact finding .........or can you?
Don't tell others to do your digging for you. Or is that how you feel a leader member is supposed to act?

So now all of a sudden YOU are not concerned at all about following ama rules? Ha! That's rich!
You sing a different tune in all of your previous threads on the ama. Talk about a walking contradiction ! lol!

You are predictable . As long as anyone states anything positive about the ama everything is lollypops and rainbows . If anyone questions anything about them you are back to your old tricks.

Trix are for kids!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Tom, You started this thread and you made the assertion that mgp is "the largest sig in the ama" all based on a tick counter on their front page. So far you have not provided any facts to back that up.
You can do your own fact finding .........or can you?
Don't tell others to do your digging for you. Or is that how you feel a leader member is supposed to act?

So now all of a sudden YOU are not concerned at all about following ama rules? Ha! That's rich!
You sing a different tune in all of your previous threads on the ama. Talk about a walking contradiction ! lol!

You are predictable . As long as anyone states anything positive about the ama everything is lollypops and rainbows . If anyone questions anything about them you are back to your old tricks.

Trix are for kids!
Good morning Brian!

Do I sense envy with the whole Leader Member thing? I think I do. I'm happy that I spurred Mike forward to taking that next step, and Franklin too (not sure of his status yet, but fingers crossed!) Astro had no interest, it was of no value to him. If I can do the same for you, I'd suggest looking into it further. I find it rewarding.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/l...pplication.pdf

The only predictable thing is how folks will react to anything positive about the AMA, and of course it's involvement with MR. The hissing and flailing about is beyond amusing. Watch for my next thread and the usual responses. You can try to twist and spin and interpret my prior comments about AMA/MR and throw these weird challenges out about fact finding, it won't deter from reality, I've been consistent. We all believe what we believe. Heck, Mike (LM) has been saying the AMA is nothing but an insurance scam for 12 year now, 12 years, and I get a finger wagged at me, that's rich.

No, the reality is this SIG is by all readily available accounts, the largest and most active SIG. And it's growing, much to the dismay of those feeling left out and left behind, and no longer needed. I don't have to prove anything, if you want to try to disprove it (like Mike so earnestly does), have at it. I don't see any other SIG activity close to what they are doing. Feel free to check their websites, note the updates from activities in 2011 and so forth. Compelling stuff.

Why aren't any of them excited about what they are doing and promoting themselves? Why no membership numbers, are they all secret societies? If they can't take the time to keep current, it's no wonder they are dying a slow death.

Speaking of which, sad news on the Aeroworks front....the doors are closed. Guess sales aren't what they used to be.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 2walla
Multirotor racing is the fastest growing thing in my club. We have approx,80 members, 25-30 that fly occasionally and 8-10 that fly alot. The 8-10 guys that are our every weekend all now fly race quads as well as planes. The last 10-15 members to join are all quad guys.. I travel alot for work and visit rc fields wherever i go and the places i dont see quads at established fields over are where the club is full of a holes who can barely fly trainers and whine about everything. In these cases a bit of searching will find a park with a whole bunch of guys racing quads and having fun.. Planes aree on the decline in new flyers. Just like electric overrcame glow.. Fpv racing is coming on strong...
Agree on what you said there! At least you're able to get out and travel and actually see what's going on rather than forming an opinion on your club, and the immediate area. Kudos!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:43 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So what happens at my club doesn't matter and isn't reality, only what happens at other clubs? LOL

What if a member ONLY flies at their home field (lots of those, majority, actually) and doesn't travel to events, their opinion is "lesser" than one who does?

Following that logic, jet pilots should count more! LOL

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.