Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Registration to return 2018

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Registration to return 2018

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

There's been some over reach by FAA folks, contact Chad at HQ and see if him and Tyler can't help.

I've talked to the people in DC and in general they aren't happy with some of the tactics being used by people in the field and correct them where appropriate. There's a lot of model flying safely going on at and around airports as long as an agreement is in place.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:56 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I sent Chad and email.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:09 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
I am FAA registered. The FAA came to the local small airport where we have been allowed to fly our jets for years and told the person that runs it that if he allows us to fly there any more they would either shut him down or fine him. Now we don't have any good place for turbine planes. This is a small airport that you might see one full size take off or land on any day. If We have to be registered like full size planes then why can't we fly there with permission of the owner? I sure wish that we could get the AMA to help us with this issue. I contacted the AMA president back in the spring and he said he would look into it and get back with me. Have not heard a thing since then.
Anyone bother to ask why? That makes no sense at all.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-25-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
I am FAA registered. The FAA came to the local small airport where we have been allowed to fly our jets for years and told the person that runs it that if he allows us to fly there any more they would either shut him down or fine him. Now we don't have any good place for turbine planes. This is a small airport that you might see one full size take off or land on any day. If We have to be registered like full size planes then why can't we fly there with permission of the owner? I sure wish that we could get the AMA to help us with this issue. I contacted the AMA president back in the spring and he said he would look into it and get back with me. Have not heard a thing since then.
I would check things out like the others have said. In the past I have flown at the DeLand Golden Hawks field and its right at the end of one of the old runways on a pretty busy airfield. I just looked them up and they are still there so if they are allowed I wonder why your not.

Dennis
Old 11-25-2017, 04:39 PM
rcmiket

OK that AMA Foundation just held a Jet Rally benefiting THEM at Ottumwas Regional Airport which is a active airport back in August. Where was the FAA then? I have to think the idoit who threatened to shut down the airport you guys were using is full of crap.

Mike

Old 11-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Tommy_Gun

Each FAA FSDO has jurisdiction of a specific region. The individuals responsible for enforcing the regs in each region can have quite different interpretations of just what the regs mean in any given situation from one region to the next.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:33 PM
HunkaJunk

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
There's been some over reach by FAA folks, contact Chad at HQ and see if him and Tyler can't help.

I've talked to the people in DC and in general they aren't happy with some of the tactics being used by people in the field and correct them where appropriate. There's a lot of model flying safely going on at and around airports as long as an agreement is in place.
I am of the opinion that all government bureaucrats have the same mentality, although I haven't had the opportunity to deal with an FAA agent yet, I have had the distinct displeasure of dealing with overreach and government agents making stuff up from numerous other agencies, I am convinced they are all trained to do whatever they can get away with until someone has the fortitude to demand they stay within their legal authority, these people will walk all over you if you let them.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:32 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Tommy_Gun
Each FAA FSDO has jurisdiction of a specific region. The individuals responsible for enforcing the regs in each region can have quite different interpretations of just what the regs mean in any given situation from one region to the next.
This kinds of operation at small local airports happens daily all over the country. If I were in his shoes I'd escalate this to the next level.

Mike
Old 11-26-2017, 05:02 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Propworn
I would check things out like the others have said. In the past I have flown at the DeLand Golden Hawks field and its right at the end of one of the old runways on a pretty busy airfield. I just looked them up and they are still there so if they are allowed I wonder why your not.

Dennis
Thats the first one that came to mind.

The FAA was fully aware of the AMA Jet Rally
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by HunkaJunk
I'm operating under that assumption, mine doesn't expire until next year, my models are marked on the inside with a very tiny sticker along with plainly visible anti-government profanity. I figure if I DECIDE to allow anyone to inspect any of my models for a registration number, they will know exactly what I think of them at that point, if not before.
I’ve actually witnessed behaviour such as this. A couple rc flying sites, one car site , a site where RV’s boon docked and everyone rode their off road toys. These sites were not registered but had been used for years. One big mouth talking head yammering about rights ended up getting these places closed for everyone.

This is just one general example, I have dozens of examples in recent memory from agencies at various levels of government, you can either know your rights and stand up for them, or suffer under the jack boot of an un-elected government bureaucrat, because if you let them; they will walk all over you every single time.
There is no “jack boot” mentality. My experience is no one bothers you unless there is a complaint. Most times reasonable discussion will resolve the issue to both sides satisfaction.

I don't need your advice, so save your breath.
Sounds like you wouldn’t accept any advice or constructive criticism gracefully. When there is need one can be adamant about rights but one does not have to be ignorant and disrespectful. When you start out that way chances are things will go downhill from there.

As to rights I don’t think RC flying etc was around when the bill of rights were drawn up. Like driving your vehicle I don’t believe it’s a right but a privilege. Unlike rights privileges can be removed. It only takes one chowder head to ruin it for everyone.

Dennis
Old 11-30-2017, 12:56 PM
jollyroger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not advice just observation seen more than a few blowhards yammering about their rights as they get arrested and carted off to the local hotel. wish i lived near by its always entertaining as they slide you guys in the back seat. Too mouthy and they just might forget to protect your head when your put inside. Seen more than one drip edge with a big dent in it. We used to call it an attitude adjustment LOL. Cuff one hand and leg then in the back of the van and a quick ride to the house with lots of sharp turns and bumps usually gets them in a co-operative mood. Pizz in the cornflakes you just might have to eat them.
Yes and that's why it is costing cities millions in lawsuits paid out to innocent people brutalized by out of control steroid laden cops with a god mentality. Literally hundreds of millions paid out is lawsuits.
At least we have the ACLU and the Rutherford Institute looking out after our rights as the government and its goon thugs with badges won't. I have no respect for cops, the government or any one who works in Washington.
The worship of authority is the most dangerous religion of all. It's too bad cities hire the most ignorant, dumb, stupid morons as cops. I guess they have to get their rocks off somewhere beating people, shooting children and raping kids.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by jollyroger
Yes and that's why it is costing cities millions in lawsuits paid out to innocent people brutalized by out of control steroid laden cops with a god mentality. Literally hundreds of millions paid out is lawsuits.
At least we have the ACLU and the Rutherford Institute looking out after our rights as the government and its goon thugs with badges won't. I have no respect for cops, the government or any one who works in Washington.
The worship of authority is the most dangerous religion of all. It's too bad cities hire the most ignorant, dumb, stupid morons as cops. I guess they have to get their rocks off somewhere beating people, shooting children and raping kids.
Not defending the ones who abuse their authority but I will tell you there are many more good cops than bad. If you bothered to look at statistics the abusers for all walks of life probably work out to be about the same ratio. We expect more from cops and those who enforce the law. As such when these expectations fail its splashed all over the news. Only lately do the other walks of life begin to generate the same sensationalism. Like the latest in the entertainment industry. Abusers are abusers and should not reflect on the good ones. Only a very small minded person would lump everyone together. Firemen, police, medical personal, military etc. often risk life and limb as part of their job what have you risked lately? Your beer glass LOL. Easy to criticize when you don’t walk in their shoes BO BO.

Yes I do have more than a few friends and acquaintances that belong to this group and some have been recognized for going above and beyond. Some of our firefighters have traveled to the US in times of need to help. Even our power and utilities workers have volunteered in the US when major storms have wiped out the power in regions of the US. Until you get off your butt and do something similar you don’t have any right to lump them all together with a few bad apples. And no you haven’t got off your butt because if you had you wouldn’t make such an immature statement.

Chances your trolling but I couldn't let your childish rant go unchallenged.

Dennis
Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 AM
geneh-RCU

I still have not had any reply at all from Chad at AMA. Maybe he is busy?
Old 12-04-2017, 07:25 AM
BarracudaHockey

Possibly, or looking into it. I'll see if i can ping him
Old 12-10-2017, 12:52 AM
hawkerone

FAA will 'shut him down or fine him' is curious. I remember that years ago the FAA maintained that any airport getting federal funds had to be used as an airport exclusively or be cut off from the trough. Likely some individual didn't like you flying there for some reason and complained to the Feds. Feds sent out to find out what's going on probably have no idea that you're operating FAA registered aircraft and made the threat based on his/her zero knowledge to satisfy the complainer. You might consider respectfully talking to the FAA supervisor and explaining the situation and be able to make the matter go away without involving the outside help. Understand that the FAA field people really don't have much info and certainly no training about handling sUAS, so a friendly informative approach will likely help a lot. Don't sent some free spirit 'I demand my rights' type or the door might be slammed forever.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:53 AM
jollyroger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not defending the ones who abuse their authority but I will tell you there are many more good cops than bad. If you bothered to look at statistics the abusers for all walks of life probably work out to be about the same ratio. We expect more from cops and those who enforce the law. As such when these expectations fail its splashed all over the news. Only lately do the other walks of life begin to generate the same sensationalism. Like the latest in the entertainment industry. Abusers are abusers and should not reflect on the good ones. Only a very small minded person would lump everyone together. Firemen, police, medical personal, military etc. often risk life and limb as part of their job what have you risked lately? Your beer glass LOL. Easy to criticize when you don’t walk in their shoes BO BO.

Yes I do have more than a few friends and acquaintances that belong to this group and some have been recognized for going above and beyond. Some of our firefighters have traveled to the US in times of need to help. Even our power and utilities workers have volunteered in the US when major storms have wiped out the power in regions of the US. Until you get off your butt and do something similar you don’t have any right to lump them all together with a few bad apples. And no you haven’t got off your butt because if you had you wouldn’t make such an immature statement.

Chances your trolling but I couldn't let your childish rant go unchallenged.

Dennis
Childish rant...of course. The same rant from the ACLU, The Rutherford Institute, Ron Paul Rand Paul,, Lew Rockwell, Tom Woods, Cop Watch, Cop Block.
The worship of authority is the most dangerous religion of all.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Propworn

Childish rant...of course. The same rant from the ACLU, The Rutherford Institute, Ron Paul Rand Paul,, Lew Rockwell, Tom Woods, Cop Watch, Cop Block.
Well of course that's their mandate the rant against all authority not just the bad ones. Lump them all together no better than you are doing. By all means go after the bad ones but recognize the majority that does their job well. Something you will never hear them do. How convenient for them to be silent when good things are done on a daily basis.

Never heard one word from these clowns when all the bastions of authority rushed in after the trade center disaster. By the way didn’t notice any of those so called organizations lining up to dig in the rubble looking for survivors. Never heard one word of praise for the ones who did. Never heard one word of regret for those who lost their lives rushing to aid. I don’t have to much respect for those who hide behind their suits and an organization looking down at the ones who get their hands dirty. All they do is hang on the edges where they wont get their suits and shoes soiled no better than a frikin ambulance chasing lawyer.

No worship of authority here you screw up you deserve the punishment and this goes for both sides.

Last edited by Propworn; 12-16-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes we are seeing that in the streets every time they are triggered by something and want government to take it away.