Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why we fly RC airplanes

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why we fly RC airplanes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 09:57 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why we fly RC airplanes

Deleted Scenes: Tyler Perry's Hobby Visionaries: Inside the Creative Mind Oprah Winfrey Network - YouTube

Unfortunately, flying RC airplane wasn't thought to be important enough to air on TV. I guess this is why we don't see our hobby on TV.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:57 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not trying to be a killjoy , I'm really not , but , in my opinion that wasn't a place I'd be flying anything . I know it was only a foam parkflyer but it was kinda on the big size , parkflyer size wise , and those buildings were too close .

Maybe that's why it wasn't used ? Maybe if it was shot in a more open place it wouldn't have come across as being perhaps a bit dangerous ?
Old 09-14-2019, 12:27 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Definitely NOT a good place to be flying that!
Old 09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by init4fun
I'm not trying to be a killjoy , I'm really not , but , in my opinion that wasn't a place I'd be flying anything . I know it was only a foam parkflyer but it was kinda on the big size , parkflyer size wise , and those buildings were too close .

Maybe that's why it wasn't used ? Maybe if it was shot in a more open place it wouldn't have come across as being perhaps a bit dangerous ?
Tyler Perry is a multi-millionaire celebrity. He probably owns the building and property where he's flying. Oprah didn't think flying "toy" airplanes was important enough to put on her show. He did fly an small electric plane on a night tv show once.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That`s pretty cool. He`s definitely right about the concentration part. I wonder what Oprah would have said about it if asked. Too bad, but I think there is a stigma attached to adults "flying toy airplanes". Think what a shot in the arm the hobby would get if a show was aired on network tv about celebrities doing this.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm kind of wondering why, with gas scale hydroplanes having been raced in Madison Indiana in conjunction with the full sized boats, why they weren't shown in any of the videos taken over the weekend? It would have been the same thing, advertising an R/C activity that gets relatively no coverage
Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 AM
fliers1

It has been said that AMA doesn't place TV ads because it's too expensive. How much money has AMA wasted on consulting fees? The E.D. gets paid $150,000 (?) a year. The magazine has been losing millions over the years. Now millions are being spent for government lobbyist.
On the other hand, hypothetically, if RC airplane ads were placed on TV and it did excite thousands of the public enough to want to get into the hobby, clubs all over the US would be quickly inundated with newbies wanting to learn how to fly. Full page color ads cost around $4000 per month, yet didn't help the industry. I'm guessing here about the monthly rate. Could be more or less.

NashBro 2019! - RC Groups
Mike Wolfe, American Pickers. I did see some RC airplanes hanging in an episode of American Pickers, but they were not even mentioned. I can't be sure, but I think they did buy a RC airplane once. I imagine"Toy" RC airplanes wouldn't be exciting enough for the public.

In one episode of Storage Wars, they found an electric powered RC airplane in one of the storage compartments. They valued it at $2000. It was a 40 size electric, but not nearly worth that much. They took it out to a flying field and someone was flying it for the guy that bought it, so the new owner asked if he could fly it but never flew an RC airplane before. The pilot handed the tx to him. Yep, he crashed it right away. lol

Last edited by fliers1; 09-16-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:20 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Not really an R/C airplane however I have a history of flying R/C blimps. During the summer of 2000 I was offered a job touring around the country with the Dixie Chicks flying a blimp shaped like a house fly. At one location Rosie O'Donnell showed up to do some recording with the Chicks and saw the blimp. She interviewed me and after giving her some instruction ( when I hand you the controller don't move anything) I set up the blimp so it would fly across the arena hands off. On camera it appeared as she was doing some flying. It was about a 4 minute peice that was aired on her show. I have a VHS of it that I need to get converted to digital one of these days.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 09-16-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:30 AM
fliers1

Come to think of it, even if AMA did go all out to promote the hobby via TV ads, and it did catch on to the public, like I said, thousands, perhaps millions might be curious enough to at least explore getting into the hobby. All of those newly interested folks would show up in clubs and maybe quite a few would even join. In some clubs, instructors are already overburdened training the newbies they already have. That would mean each club might have to schedule more than the one day that is already set aside for training. Some members are uncomfortable flying with more than one or two planes in the air at the same time. In other words, many clubs would not appreciate so many potential newcomers inundating club flying fields. Whose going to get the blame? The AMA.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda looks like a "damned if you do, damned if you don`t" situation. I am of the mind that the AMA could only be applauded for doing whatever it could to promote the hobby. I hate to think that there are many clubs that would not appreciate the effort and do what they could to accommodate a new surge in potential membership. No doubt there are clubs that can barely handle what they have now, but to make anyone feel unwelcome would be doing damage to the hobby. We`ve all felt the pinch of fewer choices as more stores close and even online.
I belong to a small rural club with few members. I don`t do a lot of flying, but if I were to get a call from an officer to help out with training new members than I`d be more than happy to.
I`ve seen enough of your posts, fliers, to know that you are one of the foremost promoters of this hobby. I hope that most of us hobbyists can maintain an upbeat attitude and make any potential newcomers feel welcome.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:08 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Why we fly RC airplanes ........

Simple Answer ;

We fly RC airplanes because when we let them fly themselves , they never come back !!!!!

Course , then there are some who believe if we let them fly themselves they will eventually morph into flying robots and come back to spell doom for all humanity , but so far I'm good , any of mine that went the self piloted route have not come back .... Yet ...