Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Bashing is Pointless

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 07:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
As has been discussed at length, the common narrative is that, somehow, the AMA "owns" the clubs and the real estate they operate on. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The AMA exists BECAUSE of the clubs and members, not the other way around.

Astro
Now don't say that to some of the AMA minions around here. As far as some are concerned, any club that is sanctioned by the AMA is owned by the AMA. The bad part is that they are right, at least according to the ardent AMA members in many of the clubs. You want to fly, show your card or get a card or you're not welcome
Old 03-02-2021, 07:45 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you didn't take it personally. The reason I pointed it out and wanted to clarify is because there always seems to be confusion regarding this and I think it is very important that we all have the same understanding of the basic facts and realities surrounding the AMA and it's relationship to clubs.

As has been discussed at length, the common narrative is that, somehow, the AMA "owns" the clubs and the real estate they operate on. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The AMA exists BECAUSE of the clubs and members, not the other way around.

Astro
Anyway, for most part, for flying fields there is no alternative to the AMA. Even if some other RC organization magically appeared and offered
insurance, a safety program, training material, etc., no new group could offer anything AMA doesn't already.

So this new entity anymodeler imagines would be for RC outside of AMA. Policy wise, that fantasy ended with the new rules and Remote ID.

Fantasy -
the power or process of creating especially unrealistic or improbable mental images in response to psychological need;

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-02-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Anyway, for most part, for flying fields there is no alternative to the AMA. Even if some other RC organization magically appeared and offered
insurance, a safety program, training material, etc., no new group could offer anything AMA doesn't already.

So this new entity anymodeler imagines would be for RC outside of AMA. Policy wise, that fantasy ended with the new rules and Remote ID.

Fantasy -
the power or process of creating especially unrealistic or improbable mental images in response to psychological need;
Okay, I'm confused. Aren't Disney parks and many of the movies they made based on fantasy? I thought fantasy could be a good thing. Am I missing something here?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:07 PM
ECHO24

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, I'm confused. Aren't Disney parks and many of the movies they made based on fantasy? I thought fantasy could be a good thing. Am I missing something here?
2: a creation of the imaginative faculty whether expressed or merely conceived: such as ...
b: imaginative fiction featuring especially strange setting

Definition of confused

1a: being perplexed or disconcerted
b: disoriented with regard to one's sense of time, place, or identity
2. a zigzag, crisscross, confused trail

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-02-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

I know the meaning of fantasy and confused, that's not a problem.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:31 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I know:

Historically, the AMA has really only provided three things, Insurance, organization/regulation/standardization (where safety and competition are concerned) and advocacy. Over the last decade or so they have proven beyond a reasonable doubt (to me) to be unable to advocate in order that its' members not see new regulations, so advocacy is off my list. Insurance can be had outside of the AMA, so that one is off the list. The only other "value" item on the list of things that make AMA relevant is the organization/standardization/regulation, and that is only important to those who compete, which likely accounts for less than 10% of the membership.

What I am trying to say is, it really wouldn't be that difficult for a group of non-competition, recreational flyers that has a flying field to adopt the AMA safety code, obtain insurance, petition to be recognized as a CBO and walk away from the AMA. The AMA DOES NOT OWN US, and they really can't keep us down with their thumb, despite what they want the unwashed masses to believe. Of course, the more clubs that want to unite, the more legitimacy they would have, and the better insurance rates they would get.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 PM
ECHO24

Here is what I know:

Historically, the AMA has really only provided three things, Insurance, organization/regulation/standardization (where safety and competition are concerned) and advocacy. Over the last decade or so they have proven beyond a reasonable doubt (to me) to be unable to advocate in order that its' members not see new regulations, so advocacy is off my list. Insurance can be had outside of the AMA, so that one is off the list. The only other "value" item on the list of things that make AMA relevant is the organization/standardization/regulation, and that is only important to those who compete, which likely accounts for less than 10% of the membership.

What I am trying to say is, it really wouldn't be that difficult for a group of non-competition, recreational flyers that has a flying field to adopt the AMA safety code, obtain insurance, petition to be recognized as a CBO and walk away from the AMA. The AMA DOES NOT OWN US, and they really can't keep us down with their thumb, despite what they want the unwashed masses to believe. Of course, the more clubs that want to unite, the more legitimacy they would have, and the better insurance rates they would get.
The key is "a group of non-competition, recreational flyers that has a flying field". How many clubs own the property? You might be able to get
insurance personally, but insurance for the field is a different story if it is leased. Even if you find insurance AMA is a known quantity you don't have
to convince a landlord about. You're also on your own with citizen complaints.

AMA claiming an 80-year safety history may be taking credit for the work of all the actual hobbyists responsible, but there is no denying
how big and entrenched AMA has become in all those years. AMA covers every conceivable aspect of RC flying, jets, control line, over
55 lbs, etc., with an army of unpaid volunteers keeping it all going. Are that many clubs really ready to ditch all that? I just don't see it.

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-02-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

If they raise the dues again, with no discernible additional benefit, you could see members, and clubs, not willing to pay. You can only ask so much from members before they balk. There are, however, the competition pilots that won't care as long as they can compete in their type of flying
Old 03-02-2021, 10:00 PM
ECHO24

Here is what I know:

You've got the outlines of what you want to do, do you have a club willing to pursue it?
Old 03-03-2021, 01:20 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The key is "a group of non-competition, recreational flyers that has a flying field". How many clubs own the property? You might be able to get
insurance personally, but insurance for the field is a different story if it is leased. Even if you find insurance AMA is a known quantity you don't have
to convince a landlord about. You're also on your own with citizen complaints.

AMA claiming an 80-year safety history may be taking credit for the work of all the actual hobbyists responsible, but there is no denying
how big and entrenched AMA has become in all those years. AMA covers every conceivable aspect of RC flying, jets, control line, over
55 lbs, etc., with an army of unpaid volunteers keeping it all going. Are that many clubs really ready to ditch all that? I just don't see it.
I've had a few chats with our City Council members. Contribute enough to their campaigns and they listen to anything you care to say. But aside from that, this particular council never heard of the RC modeling AMA before the local club approached then about a field. Medical and motorcycle they knew about. But Models? And BTW, I have permission to fly at the city funded and provided RC Air Park without being AMA or having their insurance. They know my word is good and if I say I'm covered, I'm covered. But I'm staying home. I have a better runway, far nicer bathrooms and I don't have to put up with jerks.

That said, thanks to the proliferation of both recreational and commercial MR Drones, sources of insurance abound. One can get personal liability, site liability and hull coverage that will even cover a crash. And it is ALL primary coverage unlike the AMA products. You can get this by the day, month and year. Pay for only the time you're actually flying. Less than 5 minutes on your smart phone, tablet or PC will activate or deactivate your coverage for the dates, times and locations you so designate.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:29 AM
astrohog

The key is "a group of non-competition, recreational flyers that has a flying field". How many clubs own the property?
The same amount of clubs that own their property right now.

You might be able to get insurance personally, but insurance for the field is a different story if it is leased.
No it isn't. It is ignorant statements like those that will turn this discussion into a train wreck.

Even if you find insurance AMA is a known quantity you don't have to convince a landlord about.
A known quantity? To whom? What does that have to do with insurance coverage? Please STOP with the fantasy statement stuff, it does not help this discussion at all.

You're also on your own with citizen complaints.
WHAT? How is that one iota different than the reality right this moment?

how big and entrenched AMA has become in all those years.
Entrenched in what? apathetic members' minds? Please explain

AMA covers every conceivable aspect of RC flying, jets, control line, over
AMA "covers" what? Please explain the specifics of, "all that", you have failed to name one thing that might fall under, "all that".

Astro
Old 03-03-2021, 06:35 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Retiredat38
I've had a few chats with our City Council members. Contribute enough to their campaigns and they listen to anything you care to say. But aside from that, this particular council never heard of the RC modeling AMA before the local club approached then about a field. Medical and motorcycle they knew about. But Models? And BTW, I have permission to fly at the city funded and provided RC Air Park without being AMA or having their insurance. They know my word is good and if I say I'm covered, I'm covered. But I'm staying home. I have a better runway, far nicer bathrooms and I don't have to put up with jerks.

That said, thanks to the proliferation of both recreational and commercial MR Drones, sources of insurance abound. One can get personal liability, site liability and hull coverage that will even cover a crash. And it is ALL primary coverage unlike the AMA products. You can get this by the day, month and year. Pay for only the time you're actually flying. Less than 5 minutes on your smart phone, tablet or PC will activate or deactivate your coverage for the dates, times and locations you so designate.
Yep, I have found all of these things to be true as well. It is the AMA Kool-Aid and old information circulated for decades from one apathetic AMA member to another, over generations, that lead us to the typical AMA member full of the planted AMA mythology that keeps them blindly funding the AMA coffers with little or no expectations of receiving anything in return.

Astro
Old 03-03-2021, 06:55 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is yet another fallacy propagated by the AMA shills and execs. "We MUST grow the hobby!"

Our hobby is how some choose to use excess money and time. Does anyone ever stop and ask, "Why? Why MUST we grow the hobby?" Who does growing the hobby serve? The AMA and the manufacturers, PERIOD.

I was drawn into this hobby for my love of all things aviation and the urge and ability to create something with my own two hands. Once I had built my first plane and took it to the club field, I also found the joy of camaraderie with others who share the same passion and that, also, became a "part" of the hobby for me. As my skills and knowledge progressed, I also found a passion for helping others to be successful and enjoy the hobby and that became a part of the hobby to me as well.

I don't think that my experience is a whole lot different than the majority of members, therefore, it is my conclusion and belief that it is the members' and the clubs' responsibility to be the avenue for "growth", or at least provide a positive environment for the beginner to engage and be positive ambassadors for our hobby where the general public is involved and it is the responsibility of the AMA to support that membership and those clubs in those endeavors, working on our behalf to advocate our great hobby to the powers that be in order to assure that we can thrive and continue to enjoy our flying privilege's as we have for generations. In that model, growth will happen organically, by attracting folks who are genuinely interested in and passionate about the hobby, not because, "I need insurance to fly", or because they want access to telemedicine, etc, etc. It insures that we have an active, interested and engaged membership, whether it be 100,000 or 1,000,000 strong.

just my humble $.02

Astro
With regard to growth, our hobby is highly dependent on specialty products obtained from hobby manufactures. This includes electronics (like radios, receivers, motor controllers, servos), power systems (gas, nitro, brushless motors), consumables (like nitro fuel, LiPo batteries), specialty tools (like battery chargers and covering irons) unique and hard to fabricate items (like props, EDF units, retracts, wheels, other unique hardware), specialty construction materials (like covering film, balsa) and of course the ubiquitous ARFs that make up the bulk of what is flown today.

If there are not enough people consuming these goods, the hobby industry dries up and these items become harder and harder to acquire. True enough that some of these items have other applications and may still be available through other sources, but the availability may be limited (you may have to buy from a primary source in large quantities) and the costs would jump. Specialty items (like props and retracts) are likely to be almost impossible to come by at an affordable price.

Even just to maintain the industry at its current level, we need to keep new entrants coming into the hobby every day, because every day some number of people age out, loses interest, or just becomes too busy. More to the point, the industry itself needs to actually grow to survive (a plain fact of business life is that companies that are not growing are dying). So growth is necessary to have a vibrant hobby industry that enables us to have a vibrant hobby.

A slow decline and slow death may be OK for many of us old farts who will age out over the next decade or so, but for the future, the hobby needs new blood and growth (regardless of what happens to the AMA).

Last edited by aymodeler; 03-03-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:58 AM
ECHO24

The same amount of clubs that own their property right now.

No it isn't. It is ignorant statements like those that will turn this discussion into a train wreck.

A known quantity? To whom? What does that have to do with insurance coverage? Please STOP with the fantasy statement stuff, it does not help this discussion at all.

WHAT? How is that one iota different than the reality right this moment?

Entrenched in what? apathetic members' minds? Please explain

AMA "covers" what? Please explain the specifics of, "all that", you have failed to name one thing that might fall under, "all that".

Astro
You've got the outlines of what you want to do, do you have a club that will go along with the plan to go solo?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:01 AM
aymodeler

I have been enjoying this conversation and its (mostly) civil and productive tone. I have learned a few things and I hope I have added to the conversation in a constructive way.

I will be off-line for a bit here for personal reasons (and not by choice ) but I am looking forward to rejoining the discussion in a week or two.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Retiredat38
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Echo24 said, "there is no denying how big and entrenched AMA has become".

Any guess as to how many other Non-Profits are bigger? Let's start with the NRA.
Or how about the number of corporations employing more than the 200,000 the AMA claims for membership?

And yet, even at 200,000 the AMA has only 20% of the total sUAS pilots registered with the FAA. And if you think the FAA and other govie types haven't noticed this, would you care to purchase a Bridge? I have a fine one for sale in Brooklyn!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:14 AM
aymodeler

Any guess as to how many other Non-Profits are bigger? Let's start with the NRA.
Or how about the number of corporations employing more than the 200,000 the AMA claims for membership?

And yet, even at 200,000 the AMA has only 20% of the total sUAS pilots registered with the FAA. And if you think the FAA and other govie types haven't noticed this, would you care to purchase a Bridge? I have a fine one for sale in Brooklyn!
Here is another set of numbers for you: FliteTest has 1.9 million YouTube subscribers as opposed to 34 thousand for the AMA's channel. OK, a lot of the FT YouTube subscribers probably do not fly and/or are outside the US, but as an indicator, it shows that there are a lot more people interested in the hobby than there are AMA members.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:23 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by aymodeler
but for the future, the hobby needs new blood and growth (regardless of what happens to the AMA).
Really? That's funny, none of that stuff existed when guys used to carve their own props, yet the hobby has thrived! It is a backwards narrative that American's have blindly adopted as our lives became ridiculously easy, "Bigger is better". It is simply not always true.

Astro
Old 03-03-2021, 07:28 AM
ECHO24

RC flying fields.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:30 AM
ECHO24

Can anyone cite an AMA club who's ditched AMA and gone on their own?

Has anyone tried to find insurance for a non-affiliated RC club on leased land?

Last edited by ECHO24; 03-03-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:31 AM
aymodeler

Really? That's funny, none of that stuff existed when guys used to carve their own props, yet the hobby has thrived! It is a backwards narrative that American's have blindly adopted as our lives became ridiculously easy, "Bigger is better". It is simply not always true.
Fair point that a few diehards will continue on no matter what the circumstances. But most of us would probably find other interests. I am a builder and I much prefer building to flying, but would probably draw the line at machining my own retracts, carving my own props, and soldering together my own receiver (but would probably toss around a few foamboard creations for as long as my current stock of electronic holds out).

I agree that we tend to have things way too easy today, but then our grandparents probably said the same about our parents, and so on all the way back to the days of the cave man
Old 03-03-2021, 07:31 AM
astrohog

With regard to growth, our hobby is highly dependent on specialty products obtained from hobby manufactures. This includes electronics (like radios, receivers, motor controllers, servos), power systems (gas, nitro, brushless motors), consumables (like nitro fuel, LiPo batteries), specialty tools (like battery chargers and covering irons) unique and hard to fabricate items (like props, EDF units, retracts, wheels, other unique hardware), specialty construction materials (like covering film, balsa) and of course the ubiquitous ARFs that make up the bulk of what is flown today.

If there are not enough people consuming these goods, the hobby industry dries up and these items become harder and harder to acquire. True enough that some of these items have other applications and may still be available through other sources, but the availability may be limited (you may have to buy from a primary source in large quantities) and the costs would jump. Specialty items (like props and retracts) are likely to be almost impossible to come by at an affordable price.

Even just to maintain the industry at its current level, we need to keep new entrants coming into the hobby every day, because every day some number of people age out, loses interest, or just becomes too busy. More to the point, the industry itself needs to actually grow to survive (a plain fact of business life is that companies that are not growing are dying). So growth is necessary to have a vibrant hobby industry that enables us to have a vibrant hobby.

A slow decline and slow death may be OK for many of us old farts who will age out over the next decade or so, but for the future, the hobby needs new blood and growth (regardless of what happens to the AMA).
You state this whole narrative as if it is factual. It is not. It may be your opinion (would still be factually incorrect, but everyone is entitled to believe what they want, right or wrong!), but the way you have presented it, it is stated as facts and that is very important when discussing issues via forums that rely solely on the written word to grasp the intent of the author.

I have to admit, you are starting to sound like the AMA shill from another forum that you were accused of being. Please don't bring that crap here, it is just not conducive to productive conversations!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:33 AM
astrohog

I agree that we tend to have things way too easy today, but then our grandparents probably said the same about our parents, and so on all the way back to the days of the cave man
And it is true. And it will eventually destroy us as a race. Humans are selfish, and will continue to be selfish, in spite of our own demise.

Sad, but true.

Astro
Old 03-03-2021, 07:33 AM
aymodeler

Can anyone cite an AMA club who's ditched AMA and gone one their own?
As I posted earlier, I am aware of a group that started up their own private flying site outside of the AMA. I do not have the specifics (I lost touch with the guy who was involved years ago).
Old 03-03-2021, 07:38 AM
aymodeler

You state this whole narrative as if it is factual. It is not. It may be your opinion (would still be factually incorrect, but everyone is entitled to believe what they want, right or wrong!), but the way you have presented it, it is stated as facts and that is very important when discussing issues via forums that rely solely on the written word to grasp the intent of the author.

I have to admit, you are starting to sound like the AMA shill from another forum that you were accused of being. Please don't bring that crap here, it is just not conducive to productive conversations!
Hmm ... I don't think I have defended the AMA as "shill" n any way. In fact, quite the opposite.

With regard to presenting my opinions, I certainly would be happy to add a disclaimer. I am not aware of anything that I posted that is "factually incorrect", but am open to hearing what those might be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.