Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA staff

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 05:28 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default FAA staff

Looks like the FAA may be suffering some staffing issues.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yea, they are stretched thin
Old 08-20-2022, 09:07 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

you would think that, someone would realize that 87,000 new hires for the IRS is not as wise an expenditure as could be made. possibly divert 20,000 or so of those hiring slots to the FAA, where they are really needed.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:03 AM
speedracerntrixie

Provided those 20,000 are working to solve issues with manned aircraft I would agree. If it were to become known to the general public that flights are being delayed or new aircraft were being put into service with known flaws while the FAA were chasing model airplane pilots it could make them look even worse.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:20 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Provided those 20,000 are working to solve issues with manned aircraft I would agree. If it were to become known to the general public that flights are being delayed or new aircraft were being put into service with known flaws while the FAA were chasing model airplane pilots it could make them look even worse.
Drones interfering with manned aircraft is an issue. They've interrupted firefighting operations among other things. And to top it off, the drone flyers have done all the R&D necessary to turn one into a weapon quite easily. Things like small turbines, GPS aided flight controllers, auto stabilization systems, programmable nav systems, long range remote control, and long range FPV equipment.

So I'm perfectly happy if FAA has some of those 20,000 watching "model airplanes," as that's where the R&D is taking place. And it's not a stretch to think some could be training at RC clubs in the same way the bag guys trained at flight schools. FAA watching "model airplanes" might just provide advance indicators they can feed to DHS and/or DOD.
Old 08-20-2022, 11:35 AM
speedracerntrixie

Provide examples of AMA club members weaponizing model airplanes not where FAA certified flight instructors failed to recognize terrorists.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:31 PM
franklin_m

Provide examples of AMA club members weaponizing model airplanes not where FAA certified flight instructors failed to recognize terrorists.
Never said club members were weaponizing. What I said was I can't imagine that somewhere out there folks who are learning from other modelers essential skills. Perhaps even at clubs. They learn to fly, they learn to integrate systems like flight controllers and GPS. And I'm sure some are learning from others how to do BVLOS. Not at all unlike how some went to flight schools to learn skills they'd later employ.

A model plane that with demonstrated capability to self navigate 10km away shows the capability already exists. The hard part is done. At this point it's just a matter of payload capability. And it was the "model airplane" and drone community that showed it can be done. Any number of videos like this on the web.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:45 PM
speedracerntrixie

OK, so you IMAGINE that SOMEWHERE out there SOMEONE COULD be unknowingly teaching SOMEONE to fly who MAY have harmful intentions with an R/C airplane. Of course that is your reasoning to implement more regulations/laws on individuals who are already breaking the law but adding another layer of laws that can’t be enforced is going to make our skies much safer.

Old 08-20-2022, 05:11 PM
franklin_m

OK, so you IMAGINE that SOMEWHERE out there SOMEONE COULD be unknowingly teaching SOMEONE to fly who MAY have harmful intentions with an R/C airplane.
Someone should have been asking those same questions prior to 9/11, but they weren't.

Of course that is your reasoning to implement more regulations/laws on individuals who are already breaking the law but adding another layer of laws that can’t be enforced is going to make our skies much safer.
Remote ID helps simplify threat / non-threat sorting problem which makes skies safer. It also helps identify when things are not where they should be which makes skies safer. And it also establishes whether the toy plane community will follow rules or not. Which makes skies safer.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

The bad guys are not going to use RFID. As of now none of the radio manufacturers ( JR, Spektrum, VBar, Jeti, Futaba, Hobby King, Radiomaster, FLsky etc ) are not supporting RFID.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:53 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

double negative, sorta cancels out your point, dude.

"As of now none of the radio manufacturers ( JR, Spektrum, VBar, Jeti, Futaba, Hobby King, Radiomaster, FLsky etc ) are not supporting RFID."
Old 08-21-2022, 03:08 AM
franklin_m

The bad guys are not going to use RFID. As of now none of the radio manufacturers ( JR, Spektrum, VBar, Jeti, Futaba, Hobby King, Radiomaster, FLsky etc ) are not supporting RFID.
You're making my point - RFID / following the rules simplifies the sorting problem. RFID? No. At a FRIA? No. Then easy to throw into the bad guy category - at least until confirmed not.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:42 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Here ya go, a full ten YEARS ago this Ahole was sentenced for doing what's being discussed here.......

"BOSTON — A Massachusetts man who admitted to planning to blow up the Pentagon and the United States Capitol using remote-controlled planes laden with explosives was sentenced on Thursday to 17 years in prison.

The man, Rezwan Ferdaus, pleaded guilty in July to one charge of attempting to damage and destroy a federal building with explosives, and another of attempting to provide material support to terrorists.

Government prosecutors said Mr. Ferdaus had worked with undercover agents to obtain materials to equip F-86 drone aircraft with C-4 explosives and conducted surveillance in Washington, developing plans to detonate them there."
Old 08-21-2022, 04:49 AM
init4fun

And gee wiz, , , , counting "good time" (acceptable, contrite behavior while locked up) he could be eligible for early release any day now..........
Old 08-21-2022, 06:37 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by franklin_m
You're making my point - RFID / following the rules simplifies the sorting problem. RFID? No. At a FRIA? No. Then easy to throw into the bad guy category - at least until confirmed not.
I get your point provided the aircraft is detected. I was at a wedding yesterday and I had no idea that the photographer had a quad hovering overhead during the entire ceremony until I saw him packing it up.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:39 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by init4fun
Here ya go, a full ten YEARS ago this Ahole was sentenced for doing what's being discussed here.......

"BOSTON — A Massachusetts man who admitted to planning to blow up the Pentagon and the United States Capitol using remote-controlled planes laden with explosives was sentenced on Thursday to 17 years in prison.

The man, Rezwan Ferdaus, pleaded guilty in July to one charge of attempting to damage and destroy a federal building with explosives, and another of attempting to provide material support to terrorists.

Government prosecutors said Mr. Ferdaus had worked with undercover agents to obtain materials to equip F-86 drone aircraft with C-4 explosives and conducted surveillance in Washington, developing plans to detonate them there."

I find this a bit funny actually. Many issues with using an F-86 for that task to the point of being very little risk of success.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

My impression when that came out when it happened that the only thing that guy was likely to blow up was his garage.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:18 AM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun

without life and no possibility of parole, the guy will blow something up eventually
Old 08-21-2022, 02:05 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by bisco
without life and no possibility of parole, the guy will blow something up eventually
Agreed 100%.....

Had this guy fell in with the "right" (for him) people, VS undercover FBI agents, the story coulda had a far different ending.

The one point of optimism in the story is the fact that it was his own Mosque that turned him in to the FBI for talking seriously about blowing stuff up
Old 08-21-2022, 03:08 PM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

that is good to hear!
Old 08-22-2022, 08:19 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see Air Traffic Controller on lists of high priority in high school guidance offices. Its another field that is seeing a large amount of talent retiring and requires a number of years of training to become efficient.

Maybe if a few billion more could go to automating and updating the ATC system, we wouldn't need so many controllers?
Old 08-22-2022, 09:35 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Someone should have been asking those same questions prior to 9/11, but they weren't.
What did rc airplanes have to do with 9/11?????????

Remote ID helps simplify threat / non-threat sorting problem which makes skies safer. It also helps identify when things are not where they should be which makes skies safer. And it also establishes whether the toy plane community will follow rules or not. Which makes skies safer.
Using hobby rc for terrorists plots is sort of counterproductive since the purpose is to cause significant damage and the payload of the average model is rather insignificant.
It would take a pilot with advanced skills to fly an overweight model via FPV some distance to a target and place the package on target. I can't see some terrorist putting in the time to become a competent rc pilot to deliver 10 to 20 lb payload when they could deliver a much bigger payload in a vehicle or after soloing in say a 172. After all the biggest bang for the buck is the intent.

Most models would fly terribly if a 10 to 20 lb payload were attached to them. That leaves designing an airframe to lift the weight which most beginners would lack the expertise to design and build such a subject.

They would need a significant piece of property to take off from unobserved and unquestioned as to what they are doing.

The payload and effect would be much more with a vehicle or private full size plane in the hundreds of lbs I would think. All one has to do is solo in a private plane both far less complicated than trying with any of our models.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:38 AM
speedracerntrixie

The Feds stop a guy and throw the book at him for a terrorist act that had no chance of success then publicize the arrest so that those without the knowledge to understand how ill planned the attempt was would buy the propaganda. Some buying into it to the point of thinking it a good example.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:47 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The US is facing a ATC staff shortage and technology lag that will cause disruption in commerce and personal air travel, yet the main focus and money spent will be on preventing terrorists from using a DJI as a weapon.
Look, a Squirrel!
Old 08-22-2022, 02:42 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
What did rc airplanes have to do with 9/11?????????

Using hobby rc for terrorists plots is sort of counterproductive since the purpose is to cause significant damage and the payload of the average model is rather insignificant.
It would take a pilot with advanced skills to fly an overweight model via FPV some distance to a target and place the package on target. I can't see some terrorist putting in the time to become a competent rc pilot to deliver 10 to 20 lb payload when they could deliver a much bigger payload in a vehicle or after soloing in say a 172. After all the biggest bang for the buck is the intent.

Most models would fly terribly if a 10 to 20 lb payload were attached to them. That leaves designing an airframe to lift the weight which most beginners would lack the expertise to design and build such a subject.

They would need a significant piece of property to take off from unobserved and unquestioned as to what they are doing.

The payload and effect would be much more with a vehicle or private full size plane in the hundreds of lbs I would think. All one has to do is solo in a private plane both far less complicated than trying with any of our models.
WHOOSH!!!!!
Miss the entire point much? LOL

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.