Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Canada and RC Log Books

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Canada and RC Log Books

Old 03-29-2023, 06:12 PM
  #1  
ECHO24
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1,083
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Canada and RC Log Books

"Dead Hobby Walking" as one person put it. Canadian RCers are now required to keep 4 sets of log books for each "aerial vehicle" and flight for 24 months according to this on RCGroups.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...is-true/page10
Old 03-29-2023, 08:58 PM
  #2  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

I think Canadians and Brits in general are more "NEW WORLD ORDER OBEDIENT" than those of us who have lived as FREE MEN for the past 200 years or so.
The Royal Subjects will cope with whatever their overlords put on their plate ...much better than Americans who place a higher value on their God given rights.
In Canada...it is totally illegal for a man to defend himself, his loved ones and his property with a firearm..
In England it is illegal for a man to be openly critical of the NEW WORLD ORDER FORCED IMMIGRATION AGENDA.
They will arrest you for doing that.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:17 AM
  #3  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

I find it somewhat amusing that some people have proclaimed that they couldn’t care less about the conversations on RCG and that a certain Canadian resident has been discriminated in this forum because Canada has nothing to do with AMA. That is of course until the happenings in Canada fit certain individuals narratives.

Not to disparage CP but having posted that video that was taken from a random field one mile from an airport and while a Cessna was in the vicinity, would certainly have received negative comments had it been posted by other members. Remember, I was criticized for not commenting on a RCG thread that I wasn’t aware existed. Just goes to show the level of hypocrisy in these threads.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:44 AM
  #4  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,422
Received 126 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

Just read through the last two pages of the thread at RCG. The guys up in Canada are, to keep in clean, TORQUED OFF!!!!!
I do think MAAC and the Canadian version of the FAA took it too far however. I can see a flight and aircraft maintenance logs since that's what is required for a full sized plane and pilot but what I can't see is a maintenance log for a transmitter. Transmitters rarely have issues that require more than a battery pack replacement so what's the point? Heck, my first radio set still works fine, even though it's a wide band 27MHz twin stick from 41 years ago. I can't get battery packs or servos that will work with it any more so it just sits on a shelf. Same with my 37 year old wide band 72MHz four channel. I'm seriously thinking about sending it to Radio South and have it gutted and have a 2.4 board installed, just for the fun of it

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-30-2023 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:19 AM
  #5  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

I’ve been staying away from the topic over at RCG. Like anything else, more opinion based than fact based. I’m friends with a member of the Canadian F3A world championship team for 2023 ( being held in Australia ) and he just says it’s going to be a little more work. He’s not overly concerned. In fact I’ve seen him invest a good 20K+ getting ready for the WC with two new builds.

Now, the big question is whether or not the FAA is going to follow suit? I see no evidence of this. I see evidence the other direction with event waivers, FRIAs and higher altitude agreements that are already in place with more in the works. It seems to me that the FAA is going to be content with two groups of traditional model pilots. One group that does not desire to join a club that will fly with a RID module ( I anticipate the date will be moved out again due to lack of availability ) that are flying smaller models that don’t fly above 400’. The second group that will be flying on FRIAs with larger models that will eventually be granted either 800’ or 1,200’ limits depending on manned traffic in the area.

The FAA is well aware that there are those that will continue to fly over 400’. They have no resources to enforce so it makes good sense that they provide an avenue for us to do so legally in a location they can keep us contained. This is where CP and I agree, it’s an established precedent that here in the US that citizens can shape law. Gun control, cannabis, gay marriage are all examples of this.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:35 PM
  #6  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I find it somewhat amusing that some people have proclaimed that they couldn’t care less about the conversations on RCG and that a certain Canadian resident has been discriminated in this forum because Canada has nothing to do with AMA. That is of course until the happenings in Canada fit certain individuals narratives.

Not to disparage CP but having posted that video that was taken from a random field one mile from an airport and while a Cessna was in the vicinity, would certainly have received negative comments had it been posted by other members. Remember, I was criticized for not commenting on a RCG thread that I wasn’t aware existed. Just goes to show the level of hypocrisy in these threads.
I was 1 mile from "Arlington Airport Property"..which is mostly commercial / industrial buildings that they rent...I wasn't 1 mile from the runway....more like 2 miles plus.
The city / airport is in the property development business They have a vast amount of land that reaches a highly populated commercial zone.
That plane in the video was less than 1/4 mile from a very busy freeway and about the same distance from a very busy retail business center and less than 200 feet up. That's what the issue is here.

The plane had no business flying that low so close to the freeway and to 1000s of people at the shopping centers. There's nothing hypocritical about taking issue with a pilot who would end up killing who knows how many people if his engine quit..just because he wants to fly low with no hope of reaching the runway.

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-30-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:08 PM
  #7  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I was 1 mile from "Arlington Airport Property"..which is mostly commercial / industrial buildings that they rent...I wasn't 1 mile from the runway....more like 2 miles plus.
The city / airport is in the property development business They have a vast amount of land that reaches a highly populated commercial zone.
That plane in the video was less than 1/4 mile from a very busy freeway and about the same distance from a very busy retail business center and less than 200 feet up. That's what the issue is here.

The plane had no business flying that low so close to the freeway and to 1000s of people at the shopping centers. There's nothing hypocritical about taking issue with a pilot who would end up killing who knows how many people if his engine quit..just because he wants to fly low with no hope of reaching the runway.
I have no argument with any of that. Except that the commander on a couple occasions tried to make an example of me not making comments on a RCG thread about a club that stated they occasionally fly over people. He seems to ignore these types of things when itís someone within his click. I was merely using your story as an example. While I have no issue with what you did, the reality is that a manned aircraft has right of way regardless of the situation. I would also comment that if you plugged that location into LAANC it would read zero altitude, of course this may have been prior to LAANC. Point is, the hypocrisy is that some can and some canít in the eyes of the commander.

On a side note the Eastridge shopping mall in San Jose has GA traffic flying over it daily. The airplanes need to overfly the mall at about 150í altitude on final. There have been several crashes on the main building and parking lots. I donít think there have been any injuries of people on the ground.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:49 PM
  #8  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

I'll bet your example of pilots flying low over a shopping center at San Jose is due to the fact that they have no other choice if they want to land.
The community planners / leaders are to blame for that.
With my example the pilot has a minimum altitude

ß 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:20 PM
  #9  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

Again, no arguments. The airport was once a training facility owned by the US Army. The community developed around it and it was sold to the county.

Could your pilot claim he/her was in the process of landing? Regardless of him/her being in the wrong does not trump the fact that right of way always goes to the manned aircraft. Reason why I am familiar with the Eastridge ( Reid Hillview ) airport is because at one time my home was about 1.75 miles from the active runway. At times aircraft would pass by at around 300’ sometimes lower while on final.

I have taken quite a bit of heat in this forum for being honest about exceeding 400’ momentarily while flying at an AMA chartered club field. No more or no less dangerous then what is seen in the video you posted, yet my critics remain silent. That’s the hypocrisy of which I speak of.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:01 AM
  #10  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,422
Received 126 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

In a word, NO
The road CP was flying next to runs parallel to the approach/departure flight path so the pilot had no business being as low as he was. In fact, the pilot was roughly half a mile west of the flight path and would have had to be at his observed altitude less than a quarter mile south of the runway while on his final to Runway 34. The only way he could have been attempting a landing from where he was would have been if he was landing on Runway 4, one that has been closed for decades
Old 03-31-2023, 05:26 AM
  #11  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

Hydro, now we are getting into semantics. None of us know exactly what that pilot was thinking. You and CP could very well be correct or he could have called a short final coming from a different direction.

Regardless of whether the pilot was in the wrong or not, he still has right of way. CP continued to fly ( I do realize he had no way to shut the engine off ) but did not appear to be flying in an evasive manner. If we were to look up that location on one of the apps what do you think the legal altitude for drone flight would be?

Like I said before, I have no problem with the video and as I have said before I see it no more or no less of a danger then me breaking 400’ momentarily 6 times as I fly my pattern sequence which I have been highly criticized for on this forum. If Andy, Propworn or I had posed a video taken 2 miles from an active runway with a GA in view of the camera what conversations would follow? That’s the hypocrisy and the question you and CP seem to be avoiding. Please forget all the bias and reply with an honest answer.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:28 AM
  #12  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,422
Received 126 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Hydro, now we are getting into semantics. None of us know exactly what that pilot was thinking. You and CP could very well be correct or he could have called a short final coming from a different direction.
The fact he was below 500ft says the pilot was in the wrong, regardless of what CP was doing

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Regardless of whether the pilot was in the wrong or not, he still has right of way. CP continued to fly ( I do realize he had no way to shut the engine off ) but did not appear to be flying in an evasive manner. If we were to look up that location on one of the apps what do you think the legal altitude for drone flight would be?
IIRC, this was before the FAA started clamping down on R/C altitudes so it really didn't matter. I will agree, CP did need to "give way" to stay in compliance with FAA regs but it's extremely difficult to fault CP for flying legally until his area was infringed upon by a GA pilot not not flying at a legal altitude. What must also be considered is that the Arlington Airport is an UNCONTROLLED FACILITY!!!! Gliders, parasails and several other kinds of aircraft fly in and out of the facility so being diligent on meeting regulations and verifying the area around your plane is clear is highly important

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Like I said before, I have no problem with the video and as I have said before I see it no more or no less of a danger then me breaking 400’ momentarily 6 times as I fly my pattern sequence which I have been highly criticized for on this forum. If Andy, Propworn or I had posed a video taken 2 miles from an active runway with a GA in view of the camera what conversations would follow? That’s the hypocrisy and the question you and CP seem to be avoiding. Please forget all the bias and reply with an honest answer.
I would be looking at his altitude, for starters. If he was flying at a legal altitude, then I would look at what you're doing. If he was flying below 500ft, I might be calling the FAA. One thing you do have to remember is that CP's plane was smaller in span than just one of your plane's wings and that means you can fly higher than he can for visibility reasons. Then again, the video that gets me all fired up is the one where the guy flies a turbine over a busy freeway interchange, you know the one

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-31-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:58 AM
  #13  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The fact he was below 500ft says the pilot was in the wrong, regardless of what CP was doing

As Iíve stated, regardless of right or wrong, manned aircraft have the right of way.

IIRC, this was before the FAA started clamping down on R/C altitudes so it really didn't matter. I will agree, CP did need to "give way" to stay in compliance with FAA regs but it's extremely difficult to fault CP for flying legally until his area was infringed upon by a GA pilot not not flying at a legal altitude. What must also be considered is that the Arlington Airport is an UNCONTROLLED FACILITY!!!! Gliders, parasails and several other kinds of aircraft fly in and out of the facility so being diligent on meeting regulations and verifying the area around your plane is clear is highly important

The video was posted in 2020. The last FAA reauthorization act was in 2018. Clearly after the FAA took control of UAS. In 2020 LAANC was in effect.

I would be looking at his altitude, for starters. If he was flying at a legal altitude, then I would look at what you're doing. If he was flying below 500ft, I might be calling the FAA. One thing you do have to remember is that CP's plane was smaller in span than just one of your plane's wings and that means you can fly higher than he can for visibility reasons. Then again, the video that gets me all fired up is the one where the guy flies a turbine over a busy freeway interchange, you know the one
In this case the size of my airplane(s) is irrelevant, I know CP was not breaking any altitude limits. He was also not giving right of way to the manned aircraft. Although unlikely the Cessna could have been experiencing technical issues and was looking for a place to set down. As a UAS operator on the ground we have no idea what the manned aircraft operator is doing. The comment about the turbine video is also irrelevant to this conversation and I have to assume an attempt at deflection. I also noticed you once again failed to answer my question regarding hypocrisy.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:11 PM
  #14  
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)
 
Propworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,407
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I think Canadians and Brits in general are more "NEW WORLD ORDER OBEDIENT" than those of us who have lived as FREE MEN for the past 200 years or so.
The Royal Subjects will cope with whatever their overlords put on their plate ...much better than Americans who place a higher value on their God given rights.
In Canada...it is totally illegal for a man to defend himself, his loved ones and his property with a firearm..
In England it is illegal for a man to be openly critical of the NEW WORLD ORDER FORCED IMMIGRATION AGENDA.
They will arrest you for doing that.
LOL when has playing with toy airplanes ever been considered a right. You need to be able to comprehend the difference between what is a right and what is a privilege. This common misconception by a good number of your citizens provide endless entertainment for the rest of us with the sovereign citizens and Karen's and Kevin's on YouTube.

Last edited by Propworn; 03-31-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:34 PM
  #15  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,268
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Propworn
LOL when has playing with toy airplanes ever been considered a right. You need to be able to comprehend the difference between what is a right and what is a privilege. This common misconception by a good number of your citizens provide endless entertainment for the rest of us with the sovereign citizens and Karen's and Kevin's on YouTube.

"Kevin" is the male equivalent of "Karen"???

I thought a male Karen was "Chad" .....

Chad (slang)


Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Chad_(slang)

In modern internet slang, the term can be similar to "bro" and generally refers to an "alpha male" or otherwise obnoxious hyper-masculine yuppie male.
Origins ∑ ‎Manosphere

Allrighty then, , , , carry on.....

Last edited by init4fun; 03-31-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:47 PM
  #16  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Propworn
LOL when has playing with toy airplanes ever been considered a right. You need to be able to comprehend the difference between what is a right and what is a privilege. This common misconception by a good number of your citizens provide endless entertainment for the rest of us with the sovereign citizens and Karen's and Kevin's on YouTube.

I agree about the difference between a right and a privilege. That said, sometimes we need to fight for our privileges, our government is supposed represent the people. Placing major restrictions on an activity that represents virtually zero danger to the general public is outside the criteria of lawmaking as defined by our constitution.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:21 PM
  #17  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Propworn
LOL when has playing with toy airplanes ever been considered a right. You need to be able to comprehend the difference between what is a right and what is a privilege. This common misconception by a good number of your citizens provide endless entertainment for the rest of us with the sovereign citizens and Karen's and Kevin's on YouTube.
This sounds like HATE SPEECH to me.
Better be careful or I'll let your Canadian Overlords know that you should surrender your internet privileges......plus they should have you SUBMIT to your 6th booster while they are at it.....

I think that Military Vets have earned a right to fly RC and that there are several "under used" military facilities where this right could be exercised.....https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/11-8-2...etime-pass.htm

Last edited by combatpigg; 03-31-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:16 PM
  #18  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Hate speech

Propworn has been a victim of hate speech in this forum more then anyone else. I wonder at times why certain individuals didnít get dinged for it.

While I appreciate anyone who has served in the armed forces, I do not believe that doing so should entitle anyone to special privileges. I think taxpayer funded healthcare is thanks enough. My dad was military for 26 years and never tried to leverage his veteran status for special privileges.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:48 PM
  #19  
franklin_m
 
franklin_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 4,423
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Propworn has been a victim of hate speech in this forum more then anyone else. I wonder at times why certain individuals didnít get dinged for it.

While I appreciate anyone who has served in the armed forces, I do not believe that doing so should entitle anyone to special privileges. I think taxpayer funded healthcare is thanks enough. My dad was military for 26 years and never tried to leverage his veteran status for special privileges.
Taxpayer funded healthcare? You say that as if it's 100%, which it's far from it. Matter of fact, I just got an EOB from Tricare. Billed amount for procedure was $XXX. "Allowed amount" was about 25% of the billed amount. Which left me with the difference, on top of my annual enrollment fee.

As for special privileges, veterans do receive special privileges on military bases, which I think was the general idea of CP's post. We get discounted Disney tix, discounted Seaworld, discounted theater, camping, sport equipment rentals, discounts on name brand merchandise (have bought three new Hamilton watches at considerable discount), etc. So while you may not think more is warranted, thankfully the Congress does.

And why? Well perhaps because they understand that the vet may never know what else they'll face after their service because of their service. Just in the last two weeks that because of my service I'm at 87% greater risk of melanoma, 39% greater risk of thyroid cancer, 16% greater chance of prostate cancer, and 24% greater chance of cancer of all types.

Last edited by franklin_m; 04-05-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:45 PM
  #20  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Propworn has been a victim of hate speech in this forum more then anyone else. I wonder at times why certain individuals didnít get dinged for it.

While I appreciate anyone who has served in the armed forces, I do not believe that doing so should entitle anyone to special privileges. I think taxpayer funded healthcare is thanks enough. My dad was military for 26 years and never tried to leverage his veteran status for special privileges.
Howdy Speedracer...
At least in the Army there were certain amenities that were required for a duty station or else that duty stationed was classified as a "Hardship Duty".
Like it or not...that's the way they could use it as a recruiting tool.
So there is no such requirement for designated model plane areas..but it wouldn't cost too much to make the "BACK FORTY" of any state side Army Fort I ever visited a designated place to fly.
Way back in the day I worked for a CW2 who was one of the most enthusiastic RC modelers I've ever met. I actually feel ashamed now that I didn't show much interest about what he was telling me about his hobby. I was about 21 years old at the time and was only interested in my 68Camaro.
He would be in his 80s now...and now that I think about it I should make an effort to look him up.
CW2 Bowden was a great influence in my life.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:36 PM
  #21  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

CP, I have no issue with that. In fact I would have no issue with flying fields on military property even if only military personnel were granted access. I grew up on Travis AFB and Dyess AFB. Iíve flown R/C demonstrations at Travis and Moffett NAS. I have no issues with the privileges service members receive. I understand that my previous comments may have been taken to the contrary. What I donít agree with is guys using their military service to gain favoritism. Especially in an R/C forum where there is no relevance. Iím certain someone will end up spinning my comments but there is a good reason why my career has been with companies such as Lockheed Martin, L3 Harris, Aerojet Rocketdyne and currently Curtiss Wright Defense Solutions.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:51 PM
  #22  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
CP, I have no issue with that. In fact I would have no issue with flying fields on military property even if only military personnel were granted access. I grew up on Travis AFB and Dyess AFB. I’ve flown R/C demonstrations at Travis and Moffett NAS. I have no issues with the privileges service members receive. I understand that my previous comments may have been taken to the contrary. What I don’t agree with is guys using their military service to gain favoritism. Especially in an R/C forum where there is no relevance. I’m certain someone will end up spinning my comments but there is a good reason why my career has been with companies such as Lockheed Martin, L3 Harris, Aerojet Rocketdyne and currently Curtiss Wright Defense Solutions.
WOW..!
I wish I could trade career paths with you..seriously!
I think Franklin is a good guy who wants what is fair..nothing more nothing less.
May God bless THE WHISTLEBLOWERS and THE WATCH DOGS.
BTW..I just looked up CW2 Bowden and it only took a minute to locate and to connect with him. We had a great chat [after a 50 year time lapse] and he was pleased to learn that he was a big part of why I got involved with this hobby.
That really made my day.!

Last edited by combatpigg; 04-05-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:44 PM
  #23  
Hydro Junkie
 
Hydro Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 10,422
Received 126 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

Benefits from being a veteran? Not so much if you didn't stay in for at least 20 years. The one's I know of, if you had a GD or higher, are:
  • being eligible for VA home loans
  • medical care, on a space available basis, at some VA hospitals
  • discounts at some businesses, that is if you can prove you are a veteran. Usually that means carrying your discharge papers with you since you won't have a retired military ID
  • I can be a member of the American Legion and, if I was in specific designated combat zones, the VFW
  • no on base, commissary, exchange/PX or Welfare & Rec access
Still sound like veterans get a lot? Oh yeah, I forgot, I get to stand up and claim my Veteran's status at events on Veterans Day. Isn't that a big deal
On the other hand, I would have gotten many more benefits if I had received a medical discharge, like my younger brother. He has full access to most military bases in the country due to shattering his leg while on weekend liberty. He was listed as having a disability so he gets almost the same benefits as someone that retired with 20+ years of service.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-05-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:16 PM
  #24  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Happy Valley, Oregon
Posts: 9,242
Received 155 Likes on 133 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combatpigg
WOW..!
I wish I could trade career paths with you..seriously!
I think Franklin is a good guy who wants what is fair..nothing more nothing less.
May God bless THE WHISTLEBLOWERS and THE WATCH DOGS.
BTW..I just looked up CW2 Bowden and it only took a minute to locate and to connect with him. We had a great chat [after a 50 year time lapse] and he was pleased to learn that he was a big part of why I got involved with this hobby.
That really made my day.!
Thanks CP, I appreciate that and am glad that you re connected. Iím grateful that I keep in touch with guys that I flew with and worked at a hobby shop with over 30 years ago. Sadly lost a pylon racing mentor a couple months ago. As for Franklin, if you would drop the theatrics and talk with us as opposed to talking at us it would go a long way. He also has a bad habit of dismissing experience. If he would listen half as much as he talks that would go a long way as well.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:25 PM
  #25  
combatpigg
Senior Member
My Feedback: (3)
 
combatpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: arlington, WA
Posts: 20,393
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Benefits from being a veteran? Not so much if you didn't stay in for at least 20 years. The one's I know of, if you had a GD or higher, are:
  • being eligible for VA home loans
  • medical care, on a space available basis, at some VA hospitals
  • discounts at some businesses, that is if you can prove you are a veteran. Usually that means carrying your discharge papers with you since you won't have a retired military ID
  • I can be a member of the American Legion and, if I was in specific designated combat zones, the VFW
  • no on base, commissary, exchange/PX or Welfare & Rec access
Still sound like veterans get a lot? Oh yeah, I forgot, I get to stand up and claim my Veteran's status at events on Veterans Day. Isn't that a big deal
On the other hand, I would have gotten many more benefits if I had received a medical discharge, like my younger brother. He has full access to most military bases in the country due to shattering his leg while on weekend liberty. He was listed as having a disability so he gets almost the same benefits as someone that retired with 20+ years of service.
Howdy and good evening HJ
I only did 4 years but I only pay $30 / month for a couple of prescriptions, and have a free yearly blood test that is reviewed by a doctor. If I need more than just that I can go to anhy local hospital and the VA will at least help with the bill.
On the negative side...I filed a disability claim for hearing loss and tinnitus. Never heard a word back from the VA for several years until I found a letter from them in my mail box.
Boy oh boy was I EXCITED...was my claim finally accepted...?
NOPE
The letter stated that they had some how lost my claim and that I needed to resubmit the whole thing.
More years passed after I resubmitted my claim and they finally decided to reject my claim....even though none of the folks at the VA had any way of knowing first hand how much non-stop noise I was subjected to day after day for the 3 plus years I spent working my MOS.
A totally disgraced director named Shensicky was in charge of the VA back then

Last edited by combatpigg; 04-05-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.