Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Cub Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 07:16 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Cub Nuts

I attended another event yesterday. The Molalla R/C association Cub Nuts. This is a Fly In event for Piper Cub and Cub “ Type “ airplanes. The event itself offers lots of open flying with a few fun competitive events such as spot landing, limbo and timed “ How many touch and goes “. After 4:00 on Saturday it’s open flying for all types of aircraft and 5:00 dinner from Stinky Pete’s BBQ. Pete Trailered in his smoker the day before and started smoking ribs at 8:00 am. Today the event continues with a huge raffle ( most from donations of club members ) at 2:00.

Reason I am putting this here and not in the Events forum is that I think these events somewhat illustrate the health of the hobby a a whole. I have said many times that I agree that the hobby as a whole has been on a steady decline but I’m rethinking that mindset. At least in my region, these events have been very well attended, even during a time when the economy is poor. An indication that the hobby is not on as steep of a decline as some of us think? The technology over the past decade does support smaller models that don’t need an actual flying field ( although that has its issues ). So something we need to consider, is the decline in AMA revenue/membership an accurate indication of the overall health of the hobby? I’m not saying that the hobby is not on a decline overall but simply suggesting the decline is not as steep as we may think. So on to some pictures of yesterday from Cub Nuts.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 09-17-2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:18 AM
speedracerntrixie

A few of the aircraft

Old 09-17-2023, 07:27 AM
speedracerntrixie

A few more.

Joe Topper’s ducted fan Cub.

My buddy Bryan getting my best side as I get ready to fly.

Joe Topper is the owner of Proctor Enterprises, here I am with Joe delivering a batch of Fokker DVII cowlings.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:30 AM
speedracerntrixie

The loot.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:34 AM
speedracerntrixie

Next event I’m considering. There are actually 4 events to choose from next weekend. Another indication of the hobbies health? I’m interested in this as it’s a local Flite Test event.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:31 AM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of ironic that Flight Test is sponsoring an event only AMA members can participate in.

What's the connection to Van's Aircraft? The event looks to be several miles away. Will there be Van's RVs there? (I don't see the airstrip on a sectional)

If so I would consider going. I met Richard VanGrunsvan at the farm where he started out when it was just a shop and racks of aluminum in a field out front. I had a Cherokee 180 and flew up from California. I was also building a Rutan VariEze at the time and my boss was building an RV3, the first single-seater that launched the RV line of planes.

I got current a couple of years ago with an instructor who had an RV8. It went in the divorce.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-17-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:46 AM
ECHO24

Nice photos. Not to take anything away from the event, it looks like a blast, but the health of the hobby is tied to the health of those RCers and most look to be over 60, which seems to be about average now.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:02 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by ECHO24
Nice photos. Not to take anything away from the event, it looks like a blast, but the health of the hobby is tied to the health of those RCers and most look to be over 60, which seems to be about average now.
I could have taken more pictures but I did count 8 under 18 flying. At all 4 of my clubs the two biggest demographics of new members are those under 18 and those recently retired.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

That's awesome. I've seen quite a few kids flying at D5 events, to include Nall, Florida Jets, and Top Gun (competing)
Old 09-17-2023, 10:23 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I could have taken more pictures but I did count 8 under 18 flying. At all 4 of my clubs the two biggest demographics of new members are those under 18 and those recently retired.
And that is where the problem lies. As you said, new participants are either kids, depending on their parents since they are normally unable to pay their own way yet, or retirees that are normally on limited incomes. Either way, it's not a sustainable source of new blood since the kids are going to probably be short term participants (we all know how life gets in the way of hobbies) while the retirees will have to drop out due to health issues (old age sucks) or lack of funds.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-17-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:57 AM
ECHO24

What about the Flight Test/ Van's event. What's the connection with Van's Aircraft?

"Paid Partnership" It might be just and affiliate deal.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-17-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:27 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank You Speed for posting that get together, looks like a great time !

As to the age ranges in the hobby, many many (many) moons ago I was a young aviation minded kid who was very into model airplanes, and then as stated "life got in the way". Not so much so that I was totally out of the hobby (I kept my AMA membership and flew on rare occasions) but I wasn't nearly as into it as I became once I retired. The "RC circle of life" for many I'm sure. Anyway, I don't think the age difference is as important as the numbers of youth involvement is. As us old farts die off, others behind us become us, (retire then fly till ya die) and the circle repeats. Seeing ANY youngsters at those events is a glimmer of hope for the hobby's future.

Here ya go Speed, A pic for you.....

Old 09-17-2023, 11:42 AM
speedracerntrixie

What about the Flight Test/ Van's event. What's the connection with Van's Aircraft?

"Paid Partnership" It might be just and affiliate deal.
I think it’s pretty well known that a good percentage of kids that get into model aviation will progress into aviation as a career. I’ve known many who have as well as myself. It appears to me that the aviation industry at least in the northern Oregon area is hurting for qualified workers if the way Boeing has been pursuing me is any indication. Flite Test does have a following with the younger crowd so it may be a good pairing.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:50 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And that is where the problem lies. As you said, new participants are either kids, depending on their parents since they are normally unable to pay their own way yet, or retirees that are normally on limited incomes. Either way, it's not a sustainable source of new blood since the kids are going to probably be short term participants (we all know how life gets in the way of hobbies) while the retirees will have to drop out due to health issues (old age sucks) or lack of funds.
I agree and you make good points. However look at the other CBO. Flite Test mainly appeals to the kids due to the “ cool “ content they post. As you said and I agree a democratic with limited funds. Outside of their own FRIA if sponsoring an event, it appears it needs to be at an AMA FRIA which requires AMA membership.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:51 AM
ECHO24

It was an edit in the post above so you maybe didn't see it. I have some history with Richard VanGrunsven and would have considered going if Van's was involved.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:32 PM
speedracerntrixie

It was an edit in the post above so you maybe didn't see it. I have some history with Richard VanGrunsven and would have considered going if Van's was involved.
At this time I don’t have much info as to Van’s involvement. I will try to get more info next week.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:09 PM
ECHO24

At this time I don’t have much info as to Van’s involvement. I will try to get more info next week.
On the announcement on Facebook, below the header it says "Paid Partnership" which links to "About brands, advertisers, marketer or sponsors". I think it's only an affiliate deal with Van's Aircraft.

Back then Dick VansGrunsven was selling a few dozen kits a year. Van's Aircraft is a big company now. I would be interested to meet him again but wouldn't show up at corporate and ask if he remembers me flying in at the farm.

Van's Aircraft home page has a counter of how many planes have been completed, 11,259. That's 14 times the number Rutan Vari EZ / Long EZs completed, a pretty successful homebuilt.

Last edited by ECHO24; 09-17-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree and you make good points. However look at the other CBO. Flite Test mainly appeals to the kids due to the “ cool “ content they post. As you said and I agree a democratic with limited funds. Outside of their own FRIA if sponsoring an event, it appears it needs to be at an AMA FRIA which requires AMA membership.
Trust me, I get how the "cool factor" can affect how youngsters view an activity. That said, I see, and I'm not just talking about R/Cs but many activities, that life can and does affect how people view what they can and can't do. Kids that I've watched grow up in various activities are going to college, getting married, having kids and starting their careers. Many of the seniors I've known have, for various reasons, left the activities I knew them through or, in many cases, have passed on. Hobbies are just something that are "expendable" when time, health or funds are short. Personally, I only made it to 4 or 5 races out of 13 this year due to work and other commitments. I obviously would have liked to have gone to more but, reality says work and other commitments had to come first.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:05 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Trust me, I get how the "cool factor" can affect how youngsters view an activity. That said, I see, and I'm not just talking about R/Cs but many activities, that life can and does affect how people view what they can and can't do. Kids that I've watched grow up in various activities are going to college, getting married, having kids and starting their careers. Many of the seniors I've known have, for various reasons, left the activities I knew them through or, in many cases, have passed on. Hobbies are just something that are "expendable" when time, health or funds are short. Personally, I only made it to 4 or 5 races out of 13 this year due to work and other commitments. I obviously would have liked to have gone to more but, reality says work and other commitments had to come first.
Totally get it. Although it looks like I’ve been really active this summer, the reality is that I haven’t been. I flew in only one contest this year. I still get fatigued easily and I’m more involved with my grand daughter now that she is 4. I’m just not as enthusiastic about spending the hours practicing as I once was. I’m also enjoying flying less complicated stuff in the company of fellow club mates.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:35 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It would appear that the definition of "Cub-like" is rather broad.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:16 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
It would appear that the definition of "Cub-like" is rather broad.
Many guys including myself brought aircraft that we flew after the Cub fun events had concluded. By. 4:00 on Saturday we had a 40% Edge, CG Skytiger, Aeroscout, my 5 meter sailplane and even a 700 size Heli.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:44 AM
speedracerntrixie

On the announcement on Facebook, below the header it says "Paid Partnership" which links to "About brands, advertisers, marketer or sponsors". I think it's only an affiliate deal with Van's Aircraft.

Back then Dick VansGrunsven was selling a few dozen kits a year. Van's Aircraft is a big company now. I would be interested to meet him again but wouldn't show up at corporate and ask if he remembers me flying in at the farm.

Van's Aircraft home page has a counter of how many planes have been completed, 11,259. That's 14 times the number Rutan Vari EZ / Long EZs completed, a pretty successful homebuilt.
I’ve decided not to attend the Flite Test/Van’s event. I reached out to the club through their web page asking about qualifying aircraft and got a response that the “ media “ person was on travel and had no details. No info given to contact anyone else. Given that one of my clubs is having an end of year BBQ on the same day, I’m opting for that.