Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Skyknights end of year BBQ and Fun Fly.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Skyknights end of year BBQ and Fun Fly.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 06:15 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Skyknights end of year BBQ and Fun Fly.

I opted for this Fun Fly event yesterday as opposed to the Flite Test event at a neighboring club due mainly for a couple reasons. One I received only one response to my inquiries about the Flite Test event with no information and two, I don’t have any aircraft that fit in the Flite Test category. I hope to get more info soon.

We had a great turnout at the Skyknights BBQ, I counted 40 guys, most likely hissed a couple. The aircraft ranged from the new Eflight SR-71 to my 1/3 scale Pitts. Obviously the members age range was mostly in the 50-80 year range but we do have some members in the 30-40 range as well as a few 12-20. The weather was overcast but very light wind and the sky had 1 to 5 airplanes at any given time. As usual the club had a raffle for a complete airplane. One thing that I have noticed with the clubs in the PNW is that as people leave the hobby they often donate their inventory of hobby goods to their club. As a result the clubs will hold auctions or have the occasional sale of what they have collected over the year. I happily picked up another kit from my youth, an Airtronics New Era III. now for the pictures.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 09-24-2023 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:20 AM
speedracerntrixie

More pics.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:22 AM
speedracerntrixie

Last ones.

Picture from the Barnstormer’s/Flite Test event. I love seeing the kids involvement.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:59 AM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More great photos and a great looking event. And again a lot of grey-hairs. Where I lived in a small town in N. California people would drive to the big cities of Medford and Grants Pass to shop. Oregonians drove SO SLOW (not now). The joke was, What's the hurry, they're just waiting to die (after moving up from California).
Old 09-24-2023, 07:17 AM
speedracerntrixie

Don’t get me started on Oregonian drivers LOL. Unfortunately the event I was to go to today, the Clark County R/C “ Need For Speed “ has been canceled. The field is located in the runoff parking of the fairgrounds which hosts concerts. There is a car still parked within our flying area so field is closed until the car is moved. SOP for the club during the concert season.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:40 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ECHO24
More great photos and a great looking event. And again a lot of grey-hairs.
Yep, great pics indeed !

I know a lot has been mentioned about the greying of our hobby now VS in days gone by. Just as a random side thought here, have ya noticed the age of a lot of the motorcyclists these days? I absolutely see WAY more greybeards VS young faces zippin by on them, and especially on big Harleys (most of the youngsters I see on motorcycles are on crotch rockets, not full dressers). Back in the stone age when I was a young motorcycle rider, motorcycles were almost exclusively ridden by young people & cops, and come to think of it, young cops at that

Last edited by init4fun; 09-24-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:34 AM
ElectriMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great to see the variety of aircraft at these events.
The clubs where I fly are like that too; from Park Flyers to turbines, EDF to slow-fliers.
And everyone is enjoying the camaraderie.
Old 09-24-2023, 03:27 PM
speedracerntrixie

A few pictures from the FT event pulled off FB. Looks like a successful event. Still reaching out for some first hand info.