Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Event FRIA's

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Event FRIA's

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 01:10 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Event FRIA's

Another win for AMA Gov!
In January 2021, the FAA commented in the Final Rule on Remote ID, that “Though FAA-recognized identification areas would not be authorized for temporary use, the FAA expects that instances such as air shows or temporary drone racing events would be handled, where warranted, through authorization from the Administrator to deviate from the remote identification operating rules.” AMA has asserted that our Sanctioned Events across the country taking place at locations that do not have FRIA status fall under this category to deviate from the Remote ID rules. Since the Final Rule was published, AMA has advocated for a streamlined FAA process to exempt operations at AMA Sanctioned Events from broadcasting remote identification information.

AMA is happy to share that on February 24, 2024, the FAA granted AMA members the ability to operate without broadcasting remote ID information at AMA Sanctioned Events.
Contest Directors/Event Managers of these Sanctioned Events are required to issue a NOTAM (Notice to Air Missions) for their event at least 24 hours in advance.
To learn how to file a NOTAM, visit here. Once issued a NOTAM number, the Contest Director/Event Manager must then provide that number to [email protected],informing AMA Headquarters that pilots at the event will be operating under the Remote ID authorization.

To remain current with the most recent government-related news, regularly visit the AMA Government Affairs blog. If you have any further questions or concerns, contact the Government Affairs department at [email protected].
Old 02-28-2024, 08:05 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Yet another example of the FAA working with us to keep Aeromodling alive. Not exactly the picture some were trying to paint here and on RCG for several years.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:49 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol
Old 02-29-2024, 09:14 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

How nice that we have the ability to ask for the freedoms that were taken away
Old 02-29-2024, 10:45 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Yep, I feel the same way when I renew my drivers license, fishing license, and get tags for my dog.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:37 AM
speedracerntrixie

Does this mean that sometime in the future you will CD an event that requires an altitude waiver?
Old 02-29-2024, 04:30 PM
flyboy2610

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yep, I feel the same way when I renew my drivers license, fishing license, and get tags for my dog.
I will never buy another fishing license (or lysonse, as Inspector Clouseau pronounced it) again!
Don't have to. I have a lifetime fishing license.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:54 PM
astrohog

You've been driving since before a license was required?????

Astro
Old 03-01-2024, 07:00 AM
scale only 4 me

Best fishing around here is for red hearings

I remember not so long go when people had legitimate fears about the Gov intruding in our hobby and the counter argument was,, "What's the big deal it's only $5"... They've only got their foot in the door now boys,, give it time,, that $5 will jump to $50 some day, I mean you don't expect the FAA to manage us unnecessarily for practically free for ever do you?, and don't forget some states will want their cut too.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:47 AM
speedracerntrixie

I remember not so long go when people had legitimate fears about the Gov intruding in our hobby and the counter argument was,, "What's the big deal it's only $5"... They've only got their foot in the door now boys,, give it time,, that $5 will jump to $50 some day, I mean you don't expect the FAA to manage us unnecessarily for practically free for ever do you?, and don't forget some states will want their cut too.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling, yet every few months the FAA in cooperation with the AMA breaks free with another avenue for us to legally continue flying as we always have. It appears Franklin is smart enough to see his losing battle and moved on.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:14 AM
scale only 4 me

Yeap,, give it a few more years and I'm sure the Gov agencies will be happy to sell you an umbrella

Old 03-01-2024, 11:12 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yeap,, give it a few more years and I'm sure the Gov agencies will be happy to sell you an umbrella
Gee, where have we heard that before? Do you prefer Franklin Jr. or Franklin II?
Old 03-01-2024, 02:19 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
the AMA breaks free with another avenue for us to legally continue flying as we always have.
Do you listen to your own double-speak? I'm pretty sure this is EXACTLY what Scale was referring to!

So, the AMA "advocates" for a new way to continue to do what we always have and you consider that a win? I guess we have vastly differing opinions on what a win is.

Astro
Old 03-01-2024, 04:00 PM
BarracudaHockey

Full scale registration has been $5 for I don't know how many years, the FAA's budget is a billion dollars, they dont care about making money from UAS registrations.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:03 PM
scale only 4 me

Full scale registration has been $5 for I don't know how many years, the FAA's budget is a billion dollars, they dont care about making money from UAS registrations.
So that's the only fee the FAA collects in all of aviation?
Old 03-02-2024, 03:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

I have no idea, but registration isn't a money grab by the faa and they aren't jacking up the price to 50 dollars
Old 03-02-2024, 06:26 AM
scale only 4 me

LOL C'mon Andy,, the answer is No,, All Gov agencies can and do impose cost recovery fees,, I'm just say if anyone thinks it only going to be $5 every three years forever,, they are being naive as to how our Gov works
Old 03-02-2024, 08:12 AM
speedracerntrixie

LOL C'mon Andy,, the answer is No,, All Gov agencies can and do impose cost recovery fees,, I'm just say if anyone thinks it only going to be $5 every three years forever,, they are being naive as to how our Gov works
Yet GA registration fee of $5 has remained the same for quite some time, not only that but the registration renewal has been extended from 3 years to 7 years. So what makes anyone think that the FAA is going to go the opposite direction with UAS?

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...t-registration