Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The AMA worries about us?!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The AMA worries about us?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 04:50 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The AMA worries about us?!!!

Ooooohhhh!
Old 10-21-2002, 02:57 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70%

I looked at this plane at TOC and as for the robart hinges I counted the hinges on one half of the elevator there were 18. That is a lot they were spaced equally on the alerons so there had to be at least 40+ per aleron but I didn't count them.

As for any questions about this plane ask the owner he is here on RCU he goes by MISS_CONDUCT. He will answer all of your questions.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:45 PM
BernieG

Default Re: 70%

Originally posted by JIMESTES
I looked at this plane at TOC and as for the robart hinges I counted the hinges on one half of the elevator there were 18. That is a lot they were spaced equally on the alerons so there had to be at least 40+ per aleron but I didn't count them.
Still, I don't see the point ! Does the real plane use Robart hinges ? I doubt it ! At this size, why be 40 times stupid per aileron, when 2 or 4 REAL hinges would certainly be enough !

I read this guys posts here on RCU. I was in San Antonio before, and quite active, I don't remember having ever meet him. He can live his fantasy, that's his problem but this kind of realisation, in my point of view, has nothing to do with our hobby, does not bring anything new, is by no means a technological achievment, while the big Galaxy is. At least, at 75%, he could have made it scale !

Bernard
Old 10-21-2002, 04:54 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Yep, it's ridiculous.

So, is the large one that flew at joe nall about 6 years ago. (They supposedly notified the local air traffic control when it went up)

Anything that draws the attention of federal regulation to our little hobby is not good, whether it is 300lb aircraft or turbines which explode on impact.

The last thing we need is the FAA being ENCOURAGED to scrutenize our hobby.

:boxing::spinnyeye
Old 10-22-2002, 11:24 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen (unfortunately) quite a few turbines bite the big one, but I have never seen an "explosion". I have seen the turbine go one way and the fuel cells the other, but no "explosion". Not that a mini mushroom / fireball wouldn't look cool, but it just doesn't happen like in the movies. Now I have seen a few burn to a crisp, but still not "explode". A pinto has more chance to explode than a turbine. And I really don't think (from talking with my FAA buddies) that they want anything to do with our hobby, they have enough problems on their hands. Ususlly the only time an agency decides it wants jurisdiction over a certain area, is because there is a substancial increase in budget for them. I don't think that tax payers would appreciate them (FAA) policing our models at their/our (taxpayer) expence. Just a couple of pennies to rub together.

Mike
Old 10-23-2002, 01:57 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

They DO explode. Go look up the Big Apple Jet Rally thread and download the video. The black scar was still there on the runway when I was out there today. Anyway...I'm not comparing the danger between a half size staudacher and a jet, they are both dangerous.
Say...who flew the Buran for the Rooskies? Was it Bob Parks, or Tony Frackowiak? Will it do a Lomcevak?
Old 10-23-2002, 02:12 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A very backwards (I am sure) computer chip flew the Buran using so so software. After all, it was all Soviet! No incentive to be a very high achiever. Plenty of incentive to not be a real low achiever!
Old 10-23-2002, 02:16 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Now I know what happened to that Sony Walkman that was stolen from me when I visited Moscow in '84.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:35 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Like I said, a Pinto has more of a chance of exploding. If exploding jets were a common happening, we would already be shut down. Mike
Old 10-23-2002, 11:11 AM
P-51B

If the odds are so much lower (few pintos actually burned compared to the number made), why is a fire extinguisher part of the required field gear?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:14 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Originally posted by Secret Agent
Like I said, a Pinto has more of a chance of exploding. If exploding jets were a common happening, we would already be shut down. Mike
Are you trolling? Or being serious?
Anyway...I think there are a lot more fires and explosions than we hear about. Less than last year, I guess, but still a lot. Not really a laughing matter!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:33 AM
P-51B

Easytiger,

There is a rumor going around that part of the reason for the AMA dues increase is due to increased insurance claims, one involving a jet that got away at the big FL event and ended up in some guys basement, and burning part of the structure.

Any truth to this???
Old 10-23-2002, 11:52 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

No, there were ZERO turbine related insurance claims when they did the dues increase. I have not heard of "some guys basement", it may be a corruption of the true story of a jet that hit a roof at Top Gun a few years ago?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:54 AM
P-51B

Thanks, I figured as much, and didn't want to help any fals rumors along.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:54 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

There is a rumor going around that part of the reason for the AMA dues increase is due to increased insurance claims, one involving a jet that got away at the big FL event and ended up in some guys basement, and burning part of the structure.
Wow now that's a good rumor. Plenty of excitement and it just sounds Soooooooo believable. Where do you guys come up with this stuff????
Old 10-23-2002, 11:58 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by P-51B
why is a fire extinguisher part of the required field gear?
Ever heard of safety? Big prop planes will burn too.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:09 PM
P-51B

So, is AMA planning on requiring fire extinguishers as part of field gear for giant scale planes now then?????
Old 10-23-2002, 12:11 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Originally posted by DavidR

Wow now that's a good rumor. Plenty of excitement and it just sounds Soooooooo believable. Where do you guys come up with this stuff????
Certainly not from the internet! Guys, just for the record, they can't print stuff on the internet unless it is really really true. It's the law! And anybody who prints false stuff on the internet has to go to jail!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Originally posted by P-51B
So, is AMA planning on requiring fire extinguishers as part of field gear for giant scale planes now then?????
I don't fly gassies, myself, but I always thought it was a mandatory part of your field gear already? If not, it ought to be.
I think, though, that the danger from turbines is quite DIFFERENT from that of gas burners. There are no wet starts with flames belching from the tail. There is no eight hundred degree tailpipe. And they do not burst into flame upon impact with the ground.
Anybody who says(and some people still are saying this) "giant scale planes are just as dangerous as turbines" is not only completely DELUDED, but they are doing a great disservice to us turbine modellers, too. When Joe Blow off the street sees both types fly, it's immediately obvious to HIM that turbines are much more dangerous...you BLINK and BANG! Anybody who cannot come to grips with this one simple salient fact either A) has some sort of other agenda, or B) REALLY does not have the judgement to be flying turbines.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:20 PM
P-51B

Originally posted by EASYTIGER

I don't fly gassies, myself, but I always thought it was a mandatory part of your field gear already? If not, it ought to be.
I think, though, that the danger from turbines is quite DIFFERENT from that of gas burners. There are no wet starts with flames belching from the tail. There is no eight hundred degree tailpipe. And they do not burst into flame upon impact with the ground.
Anybody who says(and some people still are saying this) "giant scale planes are just as dangerous as turbines" is not only completely DELUDED, but they are doing a great disservice to us turbine modellers, too. When Joe Blow off the street sees both types fly, it's immediately obvious to HIM that turbines are much more dangerous...you BLINK and BANG! Anybody who cannot come to grips with this one simple salient fact either A) has some sort of other agenda, or B) REALLY does not have the judgement to be flying turbines.

I don't fly them either, YET! I'll have to look in to the fire extinguisher thing, as I have never seen anyone flying gassers with one.

As for the second part regarding turbines vs gassers... WELL SAID!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:22 PM
P-51B

Originally posted by DavidR

Actually, I heard it several places...I think it may have even been somewhere on here....

That was why I ASKED if it was true!!!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:50 PM
JohnVH

I never said they werent dangerous, both are, and, both will burn.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:02 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Hey, this thread would be GREAT if it were moved to the brilliant new "AMA Issues" forum here on RCU. Rather then stinkin' up our nice JETS forum yet again.
I have NEVER seen a giant scale gas model burn. Never. Nor a glow plane. Well, ONCE I had a fire when I overprimed a 91 on a Yellow A4 and had a backfire. Good thing I had my turbine fire extinguisher there. I know there have been ISOLATED incidents of fires, usually shorted battery packs.
But NOTHING like turbines. Nothing. I can think of a dozen fire incidents already, and they have only been around for five or seven years. So PLEASE don't tell me the sky is green when it's blue. And don't try to tell AMA, and don't try to tell the general public. And don't try to tell our insurer. Because nobody is buying it.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:04 PM
JohnVH

Doesnt matter if youve seen it or not. It has happened.

Anyhow, you want it there, you got it.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:26 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Over here, the gloves can come off! En Garde!
Seriously...tell me about the giant scale fires. How many, where, when, how did they happen? Over the course of how many flights?
What is the REAL statistical probablilty of a fire happening with a giant scale plane? One in ten crashes? One in a hundred? One in a thousand?

Support your assertion with specific examples of fires that have started from gas burners crashing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.