Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Rule #9

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Rotcivv17
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rule #9

Hey you guys I got news!! The AMA has edited rule #9 and it says that no plane can rudder touch:@ I'm really mad at this, it doesnt make sense, don't the helicopters touch the ground when hovering?
Victor
Old 01-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Rule #9

dave brown[:@] i never play be the rules gusse that why i get busted in there dreams.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:41 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

I can see where if the tail hits too hard, the rudder, elevator, servos or pushrods to the tail can be damaged causing the aircraft to become uncontrollable, resulting in a crash. This, to me, makes it an unsafe manuever.

Helicopers have skids that touch the ground when landing. Maybe if you attached some skids to the tail of your airplane...
Old 01-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Dewey2

its not any fun being safe fly unsafe or go fly circles

gives dave[:@]brown daily one finger wave

i really don't see why people call that unsafe. at anytime anything can happen to your or anybodys plane . there is worse places for it to happen than on the ground with the rudder.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:26 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Guys for real...everyone that can hover has totla control over the airplane. Give me one story in which someone lost their plane due to a rudder touch. Seriously!!! Think about it.

What did us 3D guys do to deserve this?!?!?!?!?

[:'(][:@][&:][][&o][X(][>:]
Old 01-10-2004, 08:29 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Guys this didnt even bend a pushrod...hehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84676.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	89370  
Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

"everyone that can hover has totla control over the airplane"

I have been flying for over 28 years and cannot state that I always have complete control of my airplanes. There are receivers that fail. switch failures, flying through dust devils, midairs battery failures, engines that die, getting shot down, stinging bees...face it, there are many things that can happen to make you loose control.

If you think that there is no danger touching the tail (which might become bouncing the tail or smacking the tail due to circumstances that may or may not be beyond your control), then there is nothing that I can say to convince anyone any different. All I know is that I do not think that it is a safe thing to do.

'nuf said...
Old 01-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjake-RCU

"everyone that can hover has totla control over the airplane"

I have been flying for over 28 years and cannot state that I always have complete control of my airplanes. There are receivers that fail. switch failures, flying through dust devils, midairs battery failures, engines that die, getting shot down, stinging bees...face it, there are many things that can happen to make you loose control.

If you think that there is no danger touching the tail (which might become bouncing the tail or smacking the tail due to circumstances that may or may not be beyond your control), then there is nothing that I can say to convince anyone any different. All I know is that I do not think that it is a safe thing to do.

'nuf said...
Jake,
DO NOT say that on any 3D forum!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:26 AM
Ed Smith

Everything is "Safe" if people can do it properly. It is during the learning process that the problems occur

Ed S
Old 01-11-2004, 09:44 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

I nmeant that if someone did brreak there rudder 2 inches off the ground the possibilities of the plane hurting someone are slim. Secondly I have never heard of that happening.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:26 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I've had my rudder cables break several times and there was no loss of control. I don't think this is a problem.

Do you also notice that "hand catching" a powered park flyer is also against the rules?

Tom
Old 01-11-2004, 11:17 AM
lucas-RCU

This one has been hashed over an over. There are the skyGods that say they are under control at all times because they are the best of the best. Then there are the RC pilots that have proven they are the best by what they have done.
The later of the two don,t seem to have a problem with rule #9.
There are a number of factors that have been left out. The size of the aircraft, I don,t have any problem with the electric or smaller planes touching. There is another factor distance from pilot, The cool factor of the 40% down on the deck inclose is cool to watch, is it safe?????????
Can you control radio hits, gusts of wind, striping servos, engine stoping.
Myself I think rule number 9 is OK for the big planes, unfair for the smaller ones.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: greenboot

//SNIP//

Do you also notice that "hand catching" a powered park flyer is also against the rules?

Tom
No experience with "park fliers" but the electric models that I have flown for others at the field have an on-off switch controlled by the transmitter.

If a Pk. Flier has same, then shut the motor off, and the model is NO LONGER "powered". So catch it if you can. Same for RC glider.

Same for a gliding/DTing FF, yet there might be some contention with a free-wheeling prop on a rubber-powered model, yet that is actually a brake and not power, while a "folder" is definitely not powered.

Never overlook the options.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:59 AM
Dewey2

flying 3 d is safe if you have the skill to do it you have the skill to know when your past your skill zone and bring it back in . touching the tail is as safe as taking off. as safe as any thing the plane dos. i have been flying for 14 years since i was 5. i have never seen anything hurt by touching the tail. but other people pride from not having the skill to follow him. there have been a few unsafe people at my field. their not there any more. flying 3 d is as safe as it gets . there have been a lot of cars and planes busted while sitting on the ground unwatched from circle flyers and new guys trying to fly. the only time i'm unsafe is when someone says ban 3 d in person. i fly 3d at a small field when i go to the big field i keep it calm..

gives dave[:@]brown daily one finger wave
Old 01-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Dewey2

ORIGINAL: lucas-RCU

Myself I think rule number 9 is OK for the big planes, unfair for the smaller ones.

you can only swing one way. that is unfair to every one that flys both planes sizes. some keep a few small one to keep up the skill so we don't kill every one in a 3 mile zone if we fall out of a hover when the engine quits or radio lock out. on a 55% if it ok on small its ok on big. thats why we have a flight box to keep it 25 away from bystanders. if the pilot wants to get closer its his life thats out there not yours. i hover close enough i have to wipe oil off my trans and arms. i under stand the risks that are there and i trust my self and every one i fly. with maybe thats why i hate dave[:@] brown so much i have never seen unsafe 3 d flown.i'm for the best ways to go for 3d flight and turbines i have no wavier don't plan to get one either. all will fly at about 150 to 180 but 1 and it should be around 250 or up i hope.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:47 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

I usually hover at one end of the field to get the old timers away...hehe

Im a kid and have been flying for 6 months with glow and have the confidence of if anyhting goes wrong what to do. I flew a plane a week ago that had a stripped rudder and brought it in. If you know what you are doing than everything is ok. Same with the big planes. Switch failures are not common in big planes. Well, only smart people never have problems becuase of failsafe switches. Gltich busters. The thing I do harte however is that people do argue that warbirds go 100mph by us. Well, the more we argue about this stuff the more the AMA is not going to like us. Just my Opinion. Lets all kcik back and chillax. Break rule r#9 for all I care just lets not argue about it. Its gotten worse as you can see!!![:@][:'(][]

Maybe the AMA is all over RCUniverse anyways maybe

Dan
Old 01-11-2004, 12:57 PM
lucas-RCU

Mr prophanger I can have what ever opinion I want. Thankyou any way for suggestion I can only swing one way.
But I have seen a good 3d pilot get hurt,hovering in close, cut by 32-10 prop. I THINK THE RULE HAMPERS THE SMALLER PLANES and there pilot, It not stoping you from flying 3D with small ones so you still can practice. But 25Ft away from a 40% down on the deck is a safe distance. 10 ft would be OK for the smaller ones. Untill rule number 9 changes I will comply with the rule change.
ORIGINAL: prophanger1

ORIGINAL: lucas-RCU

you can only swing one way. that is unfair to every one that flys both planes sizes. some keep a few small one to keep up the skill so we don't kill every one in a 3 mile zone if we fall out of a hover when the engine quits or radio lock out. on a 55% if it ok on small its ok on big. thats why we have a flight box to keep it 25 away from bystanders. if the pilot wants to get closer its his life thats out there not yours. i hover close enough i have to wipe oil off my trans and arms. i under stand the risks that are there and i trust my self and every one i fly. with maybe thats why i hate dave[:@] brown so much i have never seen unsafe 3 d flown.i'm for the best ways to go for 3d flight and turbines i have no wavier don't plan to get one either. all will fly at about 150 to 180 but 1 and it should be around 250 or up i hope.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Dewey2

ok i understand were your going did he hurt any body else or furry animals you didn't say he did he took his life in his hands and took his chance thats no different than going to work or driving on the road you take chances going to sleep i don't see how tail touching is any different than living i think dude is right if we just sit back and chill while jamming to m@m or your choise of tunes the ama will get board and change there rules when the figure we don't give HOCKY PUCK

and i'm not mr prophanger i'm not a scool teacher
Old 01-11-2004, 02:31 PM
greenboot

prophanger,
I think we all understand your point. You are a good pilot and you trust youself to not make a mistake. If something happens, you are willing to accept the consequences.

Unfortunately, the people that make rules are compelled to make policy which the majority can live with. That means lots of people like you are going to be pissed. That's just the way it is going to be.

Actually, I don't know why you are even worried about the rules. You are completely free to disobey every rule if you fly in your backyard. The AMA code is only a guide for those who would like to have insurance coverage when flying at a public field.

Tom
Old 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To prophanger and maverick: You guys are young and full of P & V. That's fine as I once was the same and remember the fun I had when I was not wise enough to be more cautious. I remember driving straight through from Vegas to Houston and doing 90 most of the time. Now I drive well within the speed limits today, well mostly[X(].

I remember when out on a night flight all alone and I could turn the lights off, push the Jet down, at idle, and go buzzin' by the oil-well derrick where drilling was being done with people on top of the derrick. Go to 100% and laugh all the way back up to 20,000FT. Fun then, but definitely less than smart. (No big radar control back in those days)

Personally I am totally against the use of the Safety Code Rules to enhance the AMA's position as an insurance provider. (That is the nice way of saying it, however I do have other ideas about the real reasons for these restrictions.)

No matter how proficient or how smart one is, one can always make that one mistake. 41 years of professional aviation, military and airline, taught me one thing for certain: Over-confidence and complacency WILL soon bite your shorts big time, and maybe worse than ignorance.
One friend, in a unit together, was one of the best *Natural pilots* ever. He knew it. One day he had an emergency at very low altitude. One of the few parts found was his hand gripped around the ejection-handle with the SAFETY PIN still engaged. He never pulled the pins prior to taxi out on the mission. All those *SMARTS* and natural ability gone with one small mistake.
I could relate to you a very thick book.

Take a look at the new Feb. issue of RC REPORT and you will find some examples of mistakes made by full scale pilots. They ALL KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING OR THEY WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN A POSITION TO BE DRIVING THOSE MACHINES, as they had to demonstrate their proficiency many times. Did you know that an airline Captain has to demonstrate his proficiency each SIX months? (some exceptions with some airline/FAA agreements) It can happen to YOU.

Have to be quite about that before the AMA gets ideas!!

What you don't know may be dangerous, but that which you know for certain, but ain't so, will really bust your bottom. [>:]
Old 01-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Dewey2

the reason i'm so po off is i fly at a lot of clubs that have ama rules and i know what can happen from a full size plane crash i tolted out my 91 vector 510 when i was 16 still have a limp from it i know flyng and hitting something or someone is no joke but the people that fly 3d know what the heck were doing if we know which way to move the sticks looks like we would know witch way to move to keep from hitting the ground and people

HOSSFLY what p and v mean never herd of that. know what p bj mean mmmmmmmm

i can't drive any were now they don't like a hirbusa comeing by at 150+ any more
Old 01-11-2004, 03:42 PM
taxman232ex

P V = piss & ninegar

In related news, I hear the AMA is going to mandate that all members place a rubberized mat in your bath tub as they are dangerous too.

[>:]
Old 01-11-2004, 03:44 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Everyone me and Prophanger1 rule...so back off LOLOLOL JK

I seriously am careful. I actually fin it more fun to try not to touch the tail, but go as low as possible. Just trying new things out...See ya

Dan

You guys are young and full of P & V. hehe thats funny Piss and Vinegar

By Golly that really makes no sense
Old 01-11-2004, 08:11 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Rotcivv17

Hey you guys I got news!! The AMA has edited rule #9 and it says that no plane can rudder touch:@ I'm really mad at this, it doesnt make sense, don't the helicopters touch the ground when hovering?
Victor
Your information is in error, it says nothing about a rudder, in particular. This is the actual wording of the rule, which was passed and published months ago:

“Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch a powered model in flight; nor should any part of the model other than the landing gear, intentionally touch the ground, except while landing.”

I specifically asked several EC members about this rule. Apparently, the activities are guided by a simple question. “If someone gets hurt badly, can you, in a court of law, make a rational explanation of your actions leading to the accident?” Dave Brown, in particular, was adamant that the tapping of a tail was extremely unlikely (to the point of impossible) to cause loss of control of a plane. He rejected arguments about damaging servos, breaking the tail, or bending/breaking pushrods. His concern is how the person, upon that type of damage, who then lost control for whatever reason, might be viewed in court. Could you explain in a court law that you were banging the tail of your plane, then lost control and it hurt someone to a mother/wife or widow? What do you think a jury would do if the opposing attorney made exactly that case?

Landing a heli, taking a plane off, or just losing control of a plane in normal flight makes a much better case. Blame the attorney, the courts, and the tort system.

JR
Old 01-12-2004, 02:46 AM
Joe Cunt
Banned

What do you guys say to this????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29443.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	89799  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.