Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The R/C X prize

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The R/C X prize

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:14 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The R/C X prize

Hi Gang,

I VALUE THE OPINIONS OF THE RCU MEMBERS. I had an idea to start an X prize for my club as a winter challenge. MY FRUSTRATION is what would be a good challenge> i WAS THINKINGsomething like a completely solar powered craft, or longest sustained flight, or most radical design.....
Could you please give me some ideas? The X prize will be worth $500.00, to the winner. I am hust trying to stimulate some excitement in my club.

Thanks in advance

SSRCCPREZ
Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The R/C X prize

How about an affordable, lightweight alternator that keeps your flight packs charged all the time.

Or getting a new AMA president elected.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Live Wire

What ever happened to Solar cells for power, field and airborn chargers. Use the imagination projects that may change the hobby and people in it.

[8D]
Old 12-01-2004, 12:17 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That’s an easy one. If I had an extra $500 I’d use it to get more club members out flying and having fun. The challenge money would go to the builder that did the best job of building an aircraft that meets the SPA requirements http://www.seniorpattern.com/planes.asp Great winter projects too.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:19 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Actually the challenge itself should bring i new members , because each member is allowed teammates to work on the given challenge. Not everyone who builds flies and not everyone who flies builds.
What I am looking for is the challenge itself. The challenge of new members has never been an issue in our club because of us doing things like this.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:18 PM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

Our club used to sponsor an event called the California Marithon. Longest sustained flight on 64 oz of fuel. You could do it with any type of aircraft and any size engine on say 8oz fuel.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:25 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

How bout the model airplane version of Junkyard Wars...everyone can bring some old junk and have contests to see how fast and what tasks could be performed with the junk aircraft built from the junk.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Live Wire

This could get interesting and stimulate club involvement. The version of junk yard wars was on TV I think it was on the wings channel. No one knows what can happen.

[8D]
Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 PM
SSRCCPREZ

WOW!!! I like both idead, wonder if I could merge the two.....

Box of junk with 8 oz. of fuel longest sustained flight......Junkyard flier?

Oh guys this is great!!!!!!!!! My head is spinning with the possibilities.....I could even include manufacturer's in this.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 AM
smokingcrater

8 ounces could be a long time! rig up a big glider with a small glow engine capable of air start... get it up high, thermal for awhile until you drop out, then airstart the engine and climb up again.

but, with some good rules to prevent efficient gliders and instead concentrate on powered planes, it would be interesting!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:14 AM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: smokingcrater

8 ounces could be a long time! rig up a big glider with a small glow engine capable of air start... get it up high, thermal for awhile until you drop out, then airstart the engine and climb up again.

but, with some good rules to prevent efficient gliders and instead concentrate on powered planes, it would be interesting!
When we ran the California Marathon, we had a no gliders rule. To determine if the aircraft was a glider or not the wing could not have a greater than 9 to 1 aspect ratio (span : cord) and the fuselage length had to be at least 3 times cord. Launch had to be from the ground only and no assist (such as tow). Our record is 376 miles and about 7.5 hours.

Longest flight with 8oz of fuel and building from junk would make a nice event, I like it too.....
Old 12-03-2004, 08:10 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Onboard generator

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/GenesysMainFrame.htm
Old 12-04-2004, 07:27 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

How about the best scratch built plane ? Scale plane or sport. The coolest project conjured in the mind of its creator. Hmm That would stir some imaginations and it wouldn't be cost prohibitive to the parcipitants. The club could vote for the winner since this would be rather subjective. Would performance win over appearance or inovation ? You wouldn't know for cetain until the crown had a chance to see the entries.