Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The essence of Dave Brown and his vision for the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The essence of Dave Brown and his vision for the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The essence of Dave Brown and his vision for the AMA

Doc, I am not sure of your definition of flock.

I would offer a wager. If the AMA were to offer an under $30 membership to park flyers (preferably less, and if it were $10 I would bet dollars to dounuts), after one full year of offering such a membership, the number of park flyers would exceed the number of turbine waiver holders.

In order for the AMA to service it's membership, and by that I mean provide continuing frequency support, support with requlation by other governmental agencies, flying site assistance, i.e. all the non-insurance services the hobby needs, the AMA needs more members.

The more members, the more clout. It is that simple.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:14 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BUT, if that number growth is at the expense of those which the AMA would like to alienate, I can see the logic in it at that point. But if this is about money, which my guess is that is all it is about, then 100 members at $50 brings in more money than 300 members at $10.
I would take your bet however, because I have talked to many, non-turbine fliers, who think you are wrong. They will not flock to the AMA becasue they do not think they need the AMA nor the rules and restrictions that would be placed against them with their membership. You cannot tell me that DB comments in the latest MA are not directed at the turbine fliers. He does make mention that it is catching on, and I will bet you, dollars to donuts, that the turbine numbers will double in the next 5 years. I am probably wrong, I have been before, but in my opinion, the AMA I have supported for the past 18 years is going to hell in a handbasket while the hobby continues to grow.
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
maverickflyer

I have to agree. I would think that one of the advantages of park flying is that you go to your local park and go fly! You don't have to deal with all the rules and regulations and power trips of some clubs. (Show me a club that really does not have at least two factions.)

Think about it. You spend $100 and take your kid to the park for a fun afternoon. You don't have someone looking over (inspecting) your plane, no waiting for your freq to open and best of all it is relaxing. So where is the advantage of joing AMA?

Dave can say what he wants but he is the one who needs to get with it. Look, listen and learn. The world has changed and AMA needs to get with it in order to survive. I wonder how many would really reup with AMA if it were not insurance driven. Interesting question isn't.

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Has the park fliers ASKED to be included or are we assuming that they wish to be? In my opinion these guys who are spending $100 for a park flier (I know there are some that are much more) are not very likely to join the AMA when they see their activity as a low liability, go anywhere I want to fly, no restrictions activity. I thought that was the beauty of the park flier. Of course some of them have no regard for the fact that their radios may interfere with the $1000 model flying down the street. Until this guys want to come into the fold, no amount of tiered membership drive is going to bring them in. But I assure you it will drive others away.
TOmmy
Old 03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Bringing in the park flyers will cause more claims because they are the ones more likely NOT to fly at an AMA club. With them not having an AMA membership liability falls directly on them and does not involve any AMA member. Once they join, imagine the amount of claims that will be filed with the AMA insurance and yet they will be paying the lowest membership rate.

JR Gautreaux
Old 03-02-2005, 11:30 AM
J_R

Hi Doc

Wow, now that is something out of left field. Where did you get the impression that the AMA would like to alienate anyone? I have read a lot of your posts and have to believe you misspoke. If not, it needs some explanation.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: J_R
The fact that some do not see value in Model Aviation Magazine is an irrelevant one, since some do.
The exact same line of 'logic' would then lead to: the fact that some do see value in it is irrelevant, since some don't. In other words, that form of 'reason' is self defeating.

Not making an effort to embrace park flyers makes about as much sense as banning turbines. It’s shortsighted and foolish.
IMO there's nothing wrong with trying to embrace park fliers - what is wrong once again is DB's rationale.

He goes on about the liability issues, and he uses the example of someone with a $100 park flier not being willing to spend $58 per year, etc ... well, even if you cut insurance out completely, the remaining portion of the dues is still what - almost $30 ? Seems to me that that's still much more per year than is likely to be acceptable to someone whose total investment in the hobby is $100. To get these people involved, it seems to me that we'd have to drop their rates WAAAY lower than that.

Seems to me that he wants people at the "higher end" to carry the costs associated with bringing the lower end in - well, if (big "if") you can show that I have a genuine higher liability cost than others, then I absolutely don't mind paying higher insurance dues ... but why on earth should I bear more than my fair share of the white elephant in Muncie, or any of those other areas ?

Since some of the "low end models" (freeflight & C/L) have generated MUCH higher insurance costs than the models that DB likes to pick on, it seems pretty clear to me that his plan actually has nothing to do with each person paying in proportion to their cost to the AMA to insure, but is instead based on how much you can afford to spend on your models. I mean, if someone can afford to pay $10k on a model, then clearly they can afford to pay higher AMA dues, right ? In that case, let's not beat about the bush & lie about it - instead he should just reword the proposal for tiers such that anyone whose gross income is less than $50k per year pays $20 membership ; between $50k and $80k pays $50, between $80k and $100k pays $60, etc., etc.

So, what am I missing ?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:35 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: maverickflyer

I wonder how many would really reup with AMA if it were not insurance driven. Interesting question isn't.
Not really. The answer is: not very many. I don't think you will get many other opinions.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:35 AM
DocYates

I, perhaps, misused the term. But I do beleive there is an attempt by DB to alienate the turbine pilots. I think he sees them as a liability to the AMA and that they get much more than they give to the AMA. He, in the past, has led the efforts to add restrictions on the turbine pilots, and I think he has made it a point to let the membership know that he feels we are "an accident waiting to happen". I am echoing what has been said in the past, that most of the turbine pilots carry even more liability insurance than most, but yet they are the only ones who see continuing restrictions and rules placed upon us.
I may have misused the word, but I will stand by what I said. I do believe that this is an effort to put some groups in the limelight to make the general membership focus their frustrations at those groups rather than the real problem.
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
BillHarris

Original: JR

Actually, there might be a way to have tiered memberships...

<snip for brevity>

Sell it for $19.95, $24.95, or whatever can be done...
Wasn't this "AMA Lite" essentialy done in a general sense with the "Intro Memberships" and how much of a success has that been? I seem to have the impression that Intro hasn't worked.

The pep talk sounds glitzy, but I'm wondering if the "no frills" membership might be a prelude to raising the rates on types of modeling activities not in his favor? I don't think that AMA can support itself with CL and FF income...

--Bill

"they shoulda voted for The Other Dave..."
Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 AM
DocYates

IF everyone paid the same, say $40 per year, and then were allowed to purchase an affordable coverage ($50 for turbine, $50 for giant scale, etc) if they wanted it, then I can see this working, but to mandate a tired membership whereby those "that can afford it" subsidize the the low end does not go down to well with me. When the numbers reflect that the largest claims and payouts are due to those flying the "high end" aircraft, then I may concede the argument, but at this point that has not been proven, and if anything may be just the opposite. I have been to many fly-in, fun flys, giant scale meets, etc, and the "higher end" meets are much more supervised and professionally run. Stray over the flightline or break a rule at a jet meet, and I assure you there will be someone standing there to gently remind you that you need to tighten it up a notch. There is a much higher regard for safety, becasue they know they are being scrutinized "like tiny microbes swimming in a drop of water"....sorry I was recently reading H.G Wells and couldn't resist.
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 12:00 PM
J_R

Gordon

The logic is not the same. If someone sees value in the magazine, they may be more likely to purchase a membership than if they do not, relative to an inexpensive membership. I would agree that those that do not see value would be less likely to join. Whether you agree with it, or not, the MA survey showed that a much larger percentage of the current membership likes the magazine than those that do not.

Dave Brown’s rationale may be irrelevant. How we determine that having park flyers in the fold is much less important than getting them in the fold. The fact that DB says it is desirable, IMO, is correct. How he got to that conclusion is not important… as long as there are 13 other members on the EC.

Since some of the "low end models" (freeflight & C/L) have generated MUCH higher insurance costs than the models that DB likes to pick on
This is a totally inaccurate statement. The fact that they generated the largest claims (in the distant past, btw), pales in comparison to the total amounts of claims, where the bulk are related to either clubs or radio control (either in volume or dollar amounts of total claims).

why on earth should I bear more than my fair share of the white elephant in Muncie
Because part of the purpose of the AMA is to promote competition, and for the same reason all members subsidize the insurance for clubs, even though only half of all AMA members belong to clubs. If you want tierd memberships so you only pay your fair share of services you want, I think Dave Brown will be happy to oblige you.

You are missing the fact that the AMA was originated to promote areomodeling. Not just hi tech modeling, but all areomodeling. You are missing the fact that Dave Brown did not set those goals forth. You are missing the fact that decent ideas can come from any source… even those you perceive as an enemy.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
J_R

Doc

There is a very major problem with selling insurance, as you suggest. The AMA is, despite appearances, not an insurance company. If it were to sell insurance policies, which is what you are suggesting, it would have to become licensed in every state. As it stands now, one policy covers all, and is provided by an outside supplier.

That was why in my suggestion for a complete new class of membership, I stated the need for the purchase of a seperate policy for that new class.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: DocYates

I, perhaps, misused the term. But I do beleive there is an attempt by DB to alienate the turbine pilots. I think he sees them as a liability to the AMA and that they get much more than they give to the AMA. He, in the past, has led the efforts to add restrictions on the turbine pilots, and I think he has made it a point to let the membership know that he feels we are "an accident waiting to happen". I am echoing what has been said in the past, that most of the turbine pilots carry even more liability insurance than most, but yet they are the only ones who see continuing restrictions and rules placed upon us.
I may have misused the word, but I will stand by what I said. I do believe that this is an effort to put some groups in the limelight to make the general membership focus their frustrations at those groups rather than the real problem.
Tommy
I suspect you had the bristles standing up on the neck of several EC members. Dave Brown, is without doubt, the most high profile member of the EC. Having said that, he is but one voice in 14. As has been evidenced over about the last 18 months, Dave's voice has not been representive of the EC. He does not even vote on most motions, saving his vote to break or make a tie (by his choice, not by rule).
Old 03-02-2005, 12:16 PM
DocYates

I stand corrected then J_R, as Doctor MCCoy from Star Trek would say, "D@33it Jim, I'm a doctor not a beuracrat"...
I know this is not a simply task, but right now what DB wants to do does not seem right, maybe because I'm in the minority, but I refuse to go down without making some noise.
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 12:18 PM
DocYates

[/quote]
I suspect you had the bristles standing up on the neck of several EC members. Dave Brown, is without doubt, the most high profile member of the EC. Having said that, he is but one voice in 14. As has been evidenced over about the last 18 months, Dave's voice has not been representive of the EC. He does not even vote on most motions, saving his vote to break or make a tie (by his choice, not by rule).
[/quote]

My life is dedicated to making the bristles stand on end, most ot the time however I am wearing gloves....
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 12:18 PM
jetflyer

I hear ya Tommy!! Let's make some noise.

JR Gautreaux
Old 03-02-2005, 12:24 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: BillHarris

Original: JR

Actually, there might be a way to have tiered memberships...

<snip for brevity>

Sell it for $19.95, $24.95, or whatever can be done...
Wasn't this "AMA Lite" essentialy done in a general sense with the "Intro Memberships" and how much of a success has that been? I seem to have the impression that Intro hasn't worked.

The pep talk sounds glitzy, but I'm wondering if the "no frills" membership might be a prelude to raising the rates on types of modeling activities not in his favor? I don't think that AMA can support itself with CL and FF income...

--Bill

"they shoulda voted for The Other Dave..."
Hi Bill

The Intro Membership was a bad compromise created by the EC, IMO. On the other hand, I suppose you have to look at the number of new memberships generated. It approaches the number of turbine waiver holders, in considerably less than a full year of operation. How do you measure success?

What the AMA intends is dependent on the thoughts of each and every member of the EC. It's my opinion, from actually talking to people, is that there is virtually no support, at this point time, for a dues increase. As a matter of fact, several members of the EC are adamantly opposed to such thoughts
Old 03-02-2005, 12:39 PM
jetflyer

WAIT, WAIT!!!

I hope this tiered system gets implemented as I think it will be just the thing we need so the AMA falls. I have the option of flying at a city park where no AMA club membership can be forced upon me. I'd simply join the lowest tier and sit out flying AMA sanctioned jet events. Now imagine if the vast majority of the AMA membership joined the lowest priced tiered? Oops, money short fall for the AMA and soon it goes bye-bye! See ya Dave.....or is it Thank you Dave!

JR Gautreaux
Old 03-02-2005, 12:56 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the AMA fails, I do not think there will be an alternative and we will loose massive numbers of flying sites...not all, but a huge number. I do not think any new organization could get even a 10th of as many memebers as the AMA has pulled all together. I do not see enough special interests joining together to do that. And we need these (relatively) big memebership numbers in order to subsidize the site insurance.

If the AMA sees this slip in members as a real problem (as I do), then I think they had better start a massive cost cutting effort right now. I mean everthing that is not bolted to the floor gets thrown out to save money. Get that cost side straighted out first, cause if you wait too long the cost cutting will not do any good, it will be too late. You can always spend the money later if you get more members or discover some other source of revenue

I hope somebody can pull park fliers in, but the more I think about it, I think that might be very difficult. As many here are alluding too....what is the benefit to the park flyer? You can lower the cost to almost zero, but there will still have to be some benefit...for many park fyers I cannot see how you would market that benefit, except for the insurance side.

IMHO, park flying is no longer (necessarily) a stepping stone to something bigger...it is big all by itself. Someone can learn to fly and then build up to some fun 3d stuff all in the same little ballfield and never aspire to lugging down to a field to fly something bigger. Like I said I hope the AMA can bring the park flyers in, but lets be real the only reason I hope they do it is so the several thousand club fields in the country can get site insurance.

That is the number I am worrying about......enough memebrs to get enough money to keep site insurance.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:17 PM
jetflyer

Magazines like - Backyard Flyer - did a lot in my opinion to open up this new area of our hobby. With a magazine like that manufacturers were given an avenue to turn a profit.

Little Timmy (8 to 10yrs old) is shopping groceries with mommy and runs off to see the latest edition of Playstation or Xbox gamer and notices a small airplane on the latest Backyard Flyer magazine. And who's seen flying the model in the picture? A GIRL!!! Wow Timmy thinks, if a girl can fly that I surely can. Guess what now ends up in mommy's shopping cart? (Backyard Flyer magazine). Next weekend Dad and Timmy visit the local hobby shop or better yet shops online to buy a park flyer.

Now how in the hell is the AMA going to attract little Timmy? He has no job, no restrictions and Daddy / Mommy bank account for toys, NOT membership fees.

JR Gautreaux
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2005, 01:29 PM
DocYates

Please do not get me wrong, I in no way want the AMA to fold under nor fail. I agree with Matt that there needs to somelook at cutting down the costs, and if it means liquidating some assets or shutting down some things, we may have to bite the bullet and do it. It would be interesting to see how much of the latest membership fee increase casue a decline of membership. AS well, the number of "older" fliers is eclining, and the younger generation just does not have the interest in R/C that it held 30 years ago. There are so many teams sports, X-box games, scooters and things out there for them to do that they don't stick with things like R/C for too long. My son for example was hot for R/C, until he got his license and discovered girls and then he didn't want to hang out at the field anymore. My friend's son is different however, but he does not have his license yet, so I will reserve my opinion till that point. I guess what I am saying is that at this point we may have caputered as many as we are gonna get for a while. I don't think that we are going to pull in the parkfliers, unless it is increadibly cheap, and offers them something they don't currently have, and I don't see where we have that to offer.
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 01:37 PM
jetflyer

I'm pro AMA too until goes it behind the original reason it was founded. And picking on a small section of its members it not cool either. I've been an AMA member since 1989 because I chose to be a member, not because of what I wanted to fly.

JR Gautreaux
Old 03-02-2005, 01:40 PM
DocYates

JR,
We are right to be PO'ed and like you I plan on making that fact known to the members of the EC, as a matter of fact I am starting this Friday at a DV meeting with Tony Stillman in Perry Georgia, 9pm....[8D]
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
J_R

jetflyer

I won’t try to take anything away from the magazine itself, but I do think your analysis is flawed in each respect.

Timmy is still at the age were girls are viewed as the enemy, and if model airplanes are a girl thing, he is probably turned off to them. Matter of fact, he is more likely to look at that picture and view mom as trying to fly than the little 9 yr old girl next door he dislikes so much. You know, the one whose pigtails he pulled yesterday just to make her cry. Let’s make him a little older and I will go along.

Now we have dad. Dad works his butt off to make the house payments, and the payments on the two cars in the driveway. He is not oblivious to a society that has become obsessed with using a lawsuit to redistribute wealth. He has some experience with insurance, having had to deal with it on the cars, house and probably life insurance to protect his family. After he has purchased that plane for Timmy, and tried to fly it, it probably occurs to him that there is some potential for liability (they did just miss that kid with the ball). He can address that in several ways, but, if the AMA offers a $1 membership for Timmy, and a $25 dollar membership for himself, it just might be the best buy in town to supplement his homeowner’s coverage.

Plus they get a year of a model magazine instead of paying $4 a month in the supermarket for one.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:20 PM
DocYates

My guess is though, that Dad never realizes the liability, sees it as a benign activity and doesn't come face to face with the laibility issue until he puts an eye out of some innocent bystander. Because he never once visited a club nor sought out any useful advice from fellow modelers, other than the hobby shop owner who was only too happy to sell him his bill of goods and send him on his way without refering him and his dad to the local club and while they were there telling them about the AMA and how it could help them.

In regards to the magazine, which I do enjoy reading somewhat (sheepishly acknowledged), there might be an incentive to focus on the park flier a little more in an attempt to make the magazine useful to that group. That might be enough to stimulate their interest, and educate them a little more.
I might be grasping at straws there, but while we are brainstorming, I might as well throw that out.
Tommy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.