Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

About the man

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

About the man

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Ione2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the man

This is an e-mail I sent to many of my friends after visiting Casey Rowe in the hospital and discussing his injuries and feelings. He is truly extraordinary! I thought I would convey it to the R/C Universe. This e-mail went out on September 2nd, 2004 @ 3:14pm EST;

Dear friends,

I've had a chance to reflect on and now would like to tell you about the man..... as I walked through the door to his room he recognized me and smiled right away and it momentarily brought me back to when we first met, always a smile or occasionally joking around, talking about good times flying model planes. You know how you can just tell when someone is happy that your just there, that feeling swept right through me. I smiled and came farther into the room, a little hesitant at what might be. "How ya feeling" I spit out, then thought to myself, thats a dumb question. As I got closer I could feel his suffering, although he tried not to show it, I could see it in his eyes. He asked for a hug, I gladly indulged him. I felt a certain comfort in the fact that he said he was feeling better and was progressing in his therapy quite well. We spoke about modeling and how much we enjoy the camaraderie amongst ourselves, what a privilege to be a part of such a great hobby. But now was a time for us to talk of other possibilities, things that may go wrong, things that did go wrong. A gaping wound in his right lower back lacerated his kidney and came within an 1/8 of an inch of severing his spinal cord, a second large slice in his right buttox, then a third, striking his right leg and severing his leg below the knee and then still a fourth blow just below that, now my friends let me tell you that this man put a splint on his own leg, stuffed towels in his own wounds and was significant in saving his own life after being struck by a 42% Oracle Biplane. He told me that he lost over 7 units of blood (thats more than 50%) and that they nearly lost him on the helicopter ride to Cleveland. Casey Rowe and I have known each other for about three years and while in the hospital visiting him it welled a large rolling tear in my eye as I listened to the story of what happened to him that would change him forever. And after was a time to talk about safety and what we all could do to make this a better and safer hobby without affecting the model flying populous to adversely. If you have time, give Casey a call and let him know your thinking of him. Sometimes people just need other people to take a minute to listen and i'm glad that I could be there. Casey would like you to convey your ideas on safety if you have any. He would like to represent us all as a spokesperson on safety and making our hobby the safest that it can possibly be. I personally am behind him 100% and Casey needs us all more than ever. They call him the Blender King and I have had the pleasure of watching him fly on numerous occasions along with many fine model aviators from around the world. I have a greater respect for this hobby from someone elses suffering, a little more safety is not a good idea, its a great idea, and I firmly believe we can all be assiduous in this matter!! Casey asked that I send you an email to tell you of this worthy plight. Safety, safety, safety. Can there be to much? I think not, think about it. About the man..... this ones for you Casey, Lets Go Fly, I love you bro, god bless and a speedy recovery.

P.S. It is expected that IMAA members will avail themselves of technological advances as such becomes available, to promote the safety of all aircraft and participants.

Larry Schwable
Safety Officer
Thistledown Flyers

Please remember this;

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

R.F.A.

Casey @ Thistledowns Mini Fest, September, 2004
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60984.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	236651  
Old 03-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Donovan Dow

Default RE: About the man

Hmmmmmmm Cell phone on the flightline?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Ione2fly

ORIGINAL: Donovan Dow

You know I never noticed that in the picture, guess I wasn't spending enough time paying attention to detail. Good call, Donovan!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:40 PM
J_R

Hi Larry

Keep in mind that the following are just my opinions.

First, as with everyone else, I regret that Casey was hurt. No one wants to see anyone hurt in this hobby.

I fail to understand what you are trying to accomplish in this forum. If it is to point out that Casey is a good guy, you have made it successfully.

You have also made allegations that he was forced from a voluntary office, in a voluntary organization. Assuming that your description of the course of events that led to his resignation is accurate, you have also successfully pointed a finger at someone. Still, the question remains as to why Casey submitted a resignation that did not reflect the actual facts. If he did that, he did that of his own volition. No where have you made an assertion that anyone threatened the use of force to make him submit it as it was written.

What is it that he wants? Does he want to be re-instated as the safety officer of an organization whose leadership no longer wants him to serve in that capacity? Does he want to see his former friend resign as an officer of the organization? What is the point?

At the end of the day, it is still the ballot that is left as the final solution. In that regard, you are unlikely to make much headway by continually restating the same information. This forum is made up of about 75 to 100 core members. Of course, there are some transient ones as well. It is unlikely to generate enough votes to make a difference in an election, particularly when you take into account that only some percentage are IMAA members.

By now, your poll on the subject should be giving you some idea of the level of interest. Each poll placed here would get more results if it contained a final choice: "I am apathetic and ain't gonna vote in your stupid poll". I know... I have placed more polls in this forum than anyone. Look at the number of "hits" in your poll, and compare it to the total number of votes; You will be forced to the same conclusion.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ione2fly

You know I never noticed that in the picture, guess I wasn't spending enough time paying attention to detail. Good call, Donovan!!!
Maybe I'm wrong.. but I just don't buy into the idea that cell phones cause problems with our rf link. I've had my cell phone ring, had people on cell phones while I'm flying, and I've yet to experience any sort of issue. Doesn't categorically make it false.. but I sure haven't seen it.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Live Wire

Doug
Lets not start that again since cell phone are the least controled meadia in the world other than RC.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Ione2fly

Oh, I wasn't saying particularly that there was an rf problem, but that I have seen that picture quite a few times and didn't notice it hangin there. Usually I have a closer eye for detail. :-)
Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Live Wire

Just who are you looking out for ????????????
Edit
What office do you want or power do you need at another persons mishap[]
Old 03-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Live Wire

A true freind is some one that is there when you need them.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Ione2fly

I want NO office nor do I have NEED for power. As for the "at another persons mishap" well what about my freaking mishap, what about others who have suffered at the hands of another. Remember, sometimes in life you reap what you sow. I'm simply here to get comment on the situation, then i'll go back to my cave. Another persons mishap, gimme a break!![>:]
Old 03-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Live Wire

WHY, no one here is giving me a break, what are you talking about, what is equil for one is the same for all or am I wrong. If we do not support each other who do we support???????
Conflicts should be settled piecefullly not at war.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Ione2fly

Its to late for playing Mr. Niceguy, this thread is about how bad I felt when I saw Casey in the hospital, if you're not gonna post to the thread, then why bother posting?????????
Old 03-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Live Wire

You seen some one in the hospital .I COULD HAVE PUT SOME ONE IN THE HOSPITAL. man there is a difference. Would you like to trade places. You do not know what it is like to be on the giving end . Yes you seen the recieving end but it does not stop there.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:04 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Uh, yeah, sooooo?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Ione2fly

I'm not sure if there is a frequency problem P-51B, I've been trying to figure all of the conflicting stories that I have heard. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing on record about cell phones causing any problems, but I would need to research it further. Sure was nice of the guy to mention it maybe he oughta start his own thread. Especially since this one is currently occupied by another subject!!![X(]