Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How many park flyers have YOU seen?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
54.61%
8.51%
7.09%
5.67%
3.55%
2.13%
6-10
4.26%
11 or more
14.18%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

How many park flyers have YOU seen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 09:49 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many park flyers have YOU seen?

How many park flyers have you actually seen flying in the last 90 days, NOT including yourself and NOT in a club setting? If you are aware of the identity of an individual, do not count them more than once, even is seen several times.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Mike in DC

Default RE: How many park flyers have YOU seen?

Great poll! It's a question that's been running through my head ever since the park flyer threads started. The truth is I've NEVER seen a park flyer outside the club setting. If they were so hot that the hobby shops can't keep them in stock, then you'd think I'd have seen one or two.

To be fair, I don't hang around school fields all that much, although I do get by the local parks pretty frequently.

I'm curious about the folks who report frequent sightings. Is it a specific field where park flyers congregate? Or are they just everywhere you look? What part of the country?
Old 04-16-2005, 07:07 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

well, since i do not do the club thing anymore, the only places i fly at, other than at a fly in or fun fly, is at local parks. i get to see the unafiliated types real regular. most of them, up untill about 3 years ago, were former club members from the local area, who had given up on the club thing, as i did. now days, most are rank, raw newbies. spread out around the 5 -6 parks i sometimes frequent, are about 25 or so of true never been a clubie or amaer park flyer types. they have all been told about the ama, and the local clubs, and none have made any effort to contact same.
the area i live in is approx 100,000 people, and is part of a metro area of just over 200,000 folks. 2 active r/c clubs. this is a transient area, as far as job postings go, so we have a lot of people turnover.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Bob101

Define "park flyer". By that do you mean people who go to the ball field and fly a small electric airplane that weighs a few ounces or people who fly glow powered/gasoline powered airplanes at a park?

I've seen zero electric park flyers who fly small electrics in the last 90 days.

I've seen a LOT (well 2-3 out there every afternoon - and 5-6 on weekends and I see them every day I pass...) of people who fly .40 size profiles/glow helicopters/ and other "3-D" type aerobatic planes such as .40/.60 size funtanas etc...
Old 04-16-2005, 07:29 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

my own definition, would be:
any modeler that operates whatever model he has in a park, store parking lot, schoolyard, or other non club sponsored public venue.
that said, of the folks i see at 'parks' , i am the only one with a glow powered aircraft. i also fly '90" sized electric helis as well as the smaller electric planks at these venues.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:37 PM
John Mo

I fly my 3D foamy at my college and have gotten quite a following of people who now do it too. Even when I'm at the park I get people that come up to me and start asking questions. Up here in the Great NW weather changes so fast it's nice to have something to whip out and fly during a break in the weather. Since you usually don't have time to make a day of it. I see them more often now at parks during my commutes too.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:41 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen anyone other than myself fly anywhere but our club feild. I fly my small electrics both at home in my neigborhood and in large parks close to my home.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC

Great poll! It's a question that's been running through my head ever since the park flyer threads started. The truth is I've NEVER seen a park flyer outside the club setting. If they were so hot that the hobby shops can't keep them in stock, then you'd think I'd have seen one or two.

To be fair, I don't hang around school fields all that much, although I do get by the local parks pretty frequently.

I'm curious about the folks who report frequent sightings. Is it a specific field where park flyers congregate? Or are they just everywhere you look? What part of the country?

Actually, in the past 90 days I have not seen a park flier or any RC model outside of a club facility. Nor the 90 days prior to that or the 90 days prior or the 90 days prior to that.

Now on the other hand, let's take a look at something:

Tower Hobbies has four (4) pages of ad. in the April issue of "Model Aviation", a magazine that (1) provides ads at nearly 50% cheaper than "Model Airplane News" (MAN) plus (2) has a 165,000 +/- forced conscription subscribers. The latest MAN to arrive at my house has eleven (11) pages of Tower Hobbies in the much more expensive, free market 75,000 circulation, MAN. In addition there are two Great Planes (Tower holding company) ads supporting Elictrifly park-flier types.

Tower/GP is willing to spend its money in the High-Rent District, buying much more of it and giving significant attention to the Park Flier. Have they possibly seen something that we haven't, like cash rolling in over the gunwales? [>:]

Personally, I suspect that the big-boy in the playing zone has a better insight through the balance sheet on what's happening in the market, than my eyes see in my driving trips around the country including the annual pilgrimage to the UP of MI each year.

When I had a Hobby Shop in IL, it would have shut down within a week if it depended on the kits I sold ever arriving on a flying field. I doubt that in any year I ever saw a number of my store's models equal to one day's sale of kits on either flying facility that I frequently visited.

It may well be advised that one not render all evidence only as what one has seen.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:04 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I have a few friends that fly Parkflyers at work. Which is pretty incredible since I work at a large international airport. But I doubt any Boeing will fly lower than the light poles ! An Embraer maybe. Actually, today another friend showed up at my door with a brand new E-foamie that I can't wait to fly. Some of these people fly corn also and belong to clubs, but about half of them don't. One did belong to a club before but doesn't anymore. I see these little foamie 3D planes taking a big bite out of the 3D market. Friends that flew huge 33% and 40% models have really embraced the E-foamies. If you screw up , it doesn't cost you a grand , maybe 35 bucks , and often not a dime. And if the 3D gang wants to stay home and hover in the back yard, well that is just fine with me. I live in the Houston area. For some reason almost all of the clubs are grass. They just aren't that attractive to flolks that like to fly smaller airplanes, even 25 size. The clubs are geared for the 40 or 60 size models and up. And the jet guys all use local airports. The clubs have really narrowed their focus to a specific aspect of RC. They really don't welcome anything else. The sport has grown in many directions, and the clubs just don't offer the facilities necessary for all forms of flying. The jet guys belong to the AMA, but they rarely get to use an AMA facility. We might loose them also someday.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Hossfly

But I doubt any Boeing will fly lower than the light poles
Hey Barney, they must have some LOOONG landing gear now on those Boeings! How do they get the jetway up to 'em? I always had to get 'em down real low below the poles to use the short gear on those Boeings and Douglas that I flew.

Kidding aside, since you also belong to Jetero, but never fly there, come on out to the Anniversary Fly-In on Sat. 4/30. It's all FREE, flying and lunch for registered pilots.
Take a look at the new Electric 3D area, off the main runway, where these guys can do their thing, stay away from the runway and do not count for the limit of 5 fliers at a time. Actually the main control of that area is left to the current users at any given time. They have a fence to their back and open spaces in front.

As for the jet pilots here 'bouts, I wish some of those money-bag types would come into Jetero and vote in establishing a hard-surface runway. The area is there. There is significant support for the idea, however it will cost money.
However, it appears most rather just go to Scobee, and use the facility already done for them.

Remember as a club member you can bring your AMA friends as guests (3 times in 12 mo.) to Jetero and they can 3D foamie all day. Hope to see you on the 30th.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
It may well be advised that one not render all evidence only as what one has seen.
That's good advice. This reminds me of myself before I got into R/C 7 or 8 years ago. I had no idea ANYBODY flew R/C model airplanes. When I got into it, I found a thriving sub-culture right under my nose. The same could easily be true for park flyers (which I define as light-weight electrics). The only evidence less reliable than what you've personally seen is what you "read on the Internet"!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Jim Thomerson

During the last 90 days I have seen a half dozen park fliers in a back yard and a churchyard. All were flying IC control line airplanes.

Incidentaly, the electric revolution in CL has begun, so you may see more of us in the forseeable future.

Jim
Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Horrace, I plan to be there the 30th.

And I will try to fly there more often also. Fighter is on its last leg. I do like flying with relatively small crowds, but fighter has only 30 members now. The company can't hardly afford to mow it and so they don't. I think it would be a great Jetero Annex ! I have even run the idea by some of the owners. They didn't sound opposed to the idea. I think they would rather see it become part of Jetero than close down. What ever bad blood once existed between the two clubs has past as far as I know. But I never knew the story to begin with.

I would love for Jetero to get a hard surface runway. The best flying is just after a rain ! Good cool air full of horsepower and zero wind !! But those grass clubs are closed down for days to dry. We miss out on a good 50% of the flying days available each year because the ground is wet. It is ridiculous. With a hard runway you are up and running minutes after a shower.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Hossfly

Be lookin' fer ya, Man.

Uh, don't make any annex plans right now. If Jetero gets some extra money, they need to either go for a hard-surface runway or maybe pay off their mortgage a bit faster. Foreign aid will have to take a place at the end of the line.

I was THERE and I well know the story. Will relate on a 1 on 1 basis. Sent you an email.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:20 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Actually, in the past 90 days I have not seen a park flier or any RC model outside of a club facility. Nor the 90 days prior to that or the 90 days prior or the 90 days prior to that.

Now on the other hand, let's take a look at something:

Tower Hobbies has four (4) pages of ad. in the April issue of "Model Aviation", a magazine that (1) provides ads at nearly 50% cheaper than "Model Airplane News" (MAN) plus (2) has a 165,000 +/- forced conscription subscribers. The latest MAN to arrive at my house has eleven (11) pages of Tower Hobbies in the much more expensive, free market 75,000 circulation, MAN. In addition there are two Great Planes (Tower holding company) ads supporting Elictrifly park-flier types.

Tower/GP is willing to spend its money in the High-Rent District, buying much more of it and giving significant attention to the Park Flier. Have they possibly seen something that we haven't, like cash rolling in over the gunwales? [>:]

Personally, I suspect that the big-boy in the playing zone has a better insight through the balance sheet on what's happening in the market, than my eyes see in my driving trips around the country including the annual pilgrimage to the UP of MI each year.

When I had a Hobby Shop in IL, it would have shut down within a week if it depended on the kits I sold ever arriving on a flying field. I doubt that in any year I ever saw a number of my store's models equal to one day's sale of kits on either flying facility that I frequently visited.

Clearly parkflyer class planes are being sold. The question was are they being flown in parks. I have seen tons of parkflyer planes being flown, but they have all been at AMA fields. In the last 90 days, that is the only place where I have seen a plane being flown.

I know of people who fly DLG, Discus Launched Gliders, at local schools and I myself fly slope gliders by the beach when the wind is from the right direction. Neither of those types of planes have motors. But for the purpose of this survey, we would be considered park flyers.

Right?

Don't confuse a park flyer, being a person flying away from an AMA field, with a parkflyer, which is a small electric plane.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:31 AM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Years ago, the guys flying in parks, and soccer fields were flying small airplanes; .049-.20 typically. You could hear them a mile away. You don't see of hear the electrics like that which are so common now. I walked by a guy with a transmitter one day and did not even realize he was flying a plane.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:52 AM
aeajr

THAT is why these planes are so popular and why people generally don't bother you when you fly them. The guys flying in the parks are having a lot of success because of it.

Glow planes would be heard long in the distance and would draw attention. Electrics ... as you said, you could have one over head, or flyig 100 feet from you and you might not even know it.

Even gliders are more likely to draw attention if you are using a hi-start.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:47 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: J_R

How many park flyers have you actually seen flying in the last 90 days, NOT including yourself and NOT in a club setting? If you are aware of the identity of an individual, do not count them more than once, even is seen several times.
What do you mean by "club setting"? Do you mean at an AMA club? Or do the guys that fly not to far from one of my AMA club fields on a fairly regular basis...as a group, count as a club setting?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:32 PM
J_R

Well... it didn't seem right to say at an AMA chartered club. Some clubs have no field. At the same time, there are public facilities where clubs exist but have no control. So... I said "club setting" in an effort to cover the bases. It doesn't really matter if the clubs are AMA chartered if there are safety rules in effect, etc. You know, the kind of things that organized clubs do to make it a club setting.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:15 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Showing up on TV in almost every ad type possible.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: drdoom
Showing up on TV in almost every ad type possible.
Yep, and every single ad they show up in makes R/C look bad, like the ad with the out-of-control plane running rampant through busy city streets, high-dollar SUV in hot pursuit, with kid riding shotgun frantically trying to bring the plane under control.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:33 AM
joey_d1119

There are no R/C airplane ads out here. None at all. How do the ads you see on TV make R/C look bad?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Darkace

Well, i saw some guy fly a .40 trainer fly in a park (that guy is crazy anyways) :P its a big park though. So is he considered a park flyer? if not, then no one besides myself.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:12 AM
aeajr

He is a park flyer. His plane is not.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:23 AM
rcuman

Well I have only seen a few at our local flying club. I do know that there is a secret P.F. organization in our area that is planning the demise of gas flyers like me.

[sm=eek.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.