Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

IMAA Board Meeting

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

IMAA Board Meeting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: IMAA Board Meeting

Do 'former' IMAA members count?

Jerry
Old 10-18-2005, 12:30 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know Jerry...do former members get to fly at IMAA events? NO!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:06 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry, Fred! Once IMAA gets their supersecret V-weapons on line, the tide of battle will change und victory vill be assured!
IMAA vill win! Zey MUST win!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: mongo
hey fred, ya might wana re think that, applied equally across the sigs idea.
Don't think so.

As long as we have our current 'one size fits all' membership dues, and as long as the insurance is the same for all AMA members regardless of their experience, affiliation with SIGs, type of flying, etc., the shoe fits.

In this instance, since none of AMA's SIGs helped acquire and maintain the club flying facilities, they should all pay to use those facilities.

But since the thread was hijacked a long time ago and turned into an long winded anti-IMAA rant, none of the normal point-counterpoint rules apply anyway.

Nice talkin' to ya.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Jbolt

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

OK, will everyone who is NOT an IMAA member AND does not agree with Fred please stop posting to this thread as you have no right to express your opinion. This thread like IMAA has an exclusionary policy.
ya okay but isn't this IMAA thread getting a free ride on the AMA forum?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:43 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, but the forum gets half the proceeds from this thread for hosting it.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:50 AM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

Fred; I am not trying to bash you here I am only going to tell you what my personel opinion is. I don't agree with IMAA having fly ins at an ama sanctioned field and limiting it to only IMAA members. The reason being if it was held at one of my fields I would be upset that I was unable to participate because I was not a member of IMAA. Where as if my club were to hold an IMAC event I would be able to participate even if I wasnt a member of IMAC. I think IMAA would be better served by opening the fly ins to anybody with a plane that meets the IMAA criteria of a big bird, then have information about the sig on hand,and try to generate some interest in the people, work on getting the magazine made into something that people would want, and I would bet that membership would start growing. Like I said this is just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:21 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jbolt

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

OK, will everyone who is NOT an IMAA member AND does not agree with Fred please stop posting to this thread as you have no right to express your opinion. This thread like IMAA has an exclusionary policy.
ya okay but isn't this IMAA thread getting a free ride on the AMA forum?
Nice one!
Except the IMAA INVENTED the internet forum. And has MENTORED all the other SIGS. So they can charge what they want.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:06 AM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

"Fred; I am not trying to bash you here I am only going to tell you what my personel opinion is. I don't agree with IMAA having fly ins at an ama sanctioned field and limiting it to only IMAA members."

My problem with this isn't with IMAA but with AMA.
IMO AMA should not ever sanction an event that's not open to all AMA members.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:32 AM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

Nice one!
Except the IMAA INVENTED the internet forum. And has MENTORED all the other SIGS. So they can charge what they want.
Ahhhh............ so Al Gore runs IMAA. I was wondering whatever happened to him.

Abel
Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: burtona

SNIP

My problem with this isn't with IMAA but with AMA.
IMO AMA should not ever sanction an event that's not open to all AMA members.
I can see it now. You sanction a control line contest and Frank shows up with his 1/4 scale Cub and insists that under the rules he is allowed to fly...

Or you sanction a free flight contest and Frank shows up ready to fly that Cub..

Or you sanctioin a mall show and Frank shows up and wants to fly...

Or...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:31 PM
frankp

[8D]
A few comments if I may. I want to thank all of you who have contributed to this discussion. I am impressed by the fact that the discussion has been civil with no name calling or nasty personal remarks.

Some of you have made comments about the use of AMA club fields to hold an IMAA event that club members could not fly at. For many years, I belonged to club in South Jersey that hosted a IMAA sanctioned event every year. Only 5 or 6 of the 40+ club members were IMAA members. The event was a two day event and no landing fees were collected. We raised money by selling food, raffles, and 50-50's. All of the money went to the club. We paid our field rent for the year on what we made at this event. Most of our members worked at the event and flew only after 5:00PM. The same was true at a club I was a member of in Chicago (St. Charles).

Frank Ponteri
IMAA 5058
Old 10-29-2005, 06:52 AM
mnrbuildrcap

Mr. Ponteri

It seems in reading your posts that your disagreement with the IMAA Officers should be taken up with them and not on any type of a public forum.

If indeed Sir, you are at all interested in promoting the IMAA as a great organization that it is, you should work for the members of your District by promoting the IMAA there.

Apparently you can not work as an efective Director within the system.

Your negative attitude towards anyone who does not agree with you is very obvious.

Your record as a 1 term President was nothing short of a disaster. Your failure to be reelected proved that your ability to lead an organization like the IMAA was a failure.

The mass exodus of members started when you were President, now you have a plan to return them to the membership. Will not happen Mr Ponteri, once someone has a disagreement with the leadership, they will not return.

Apparently your plans and ideas are falling on the deaf ears of your fellow Directors so you have to resort to blasting them in public to make yourself look good, not a trait of a good leader.

Please Mr. Ponteri do the IMAA a favor and remove yourself as a Director.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:35 AM
frankp

Dear Mr. NO NAME,

Thank you for your comments. It is a shame that you do not have the courage to sign your name to what you write. Unfortunately I will be unable to honor your request. I will continue to keep the membership informed.

Frank V. Ponteri
IMAA 5085
Old 11-02-2005, 12:09 PM
frankp

Attention: IMAA District One Members

I have been informed that the IMAA Event Sanction Coordinator has submitted his resignation. The IMAA will be seeking applicants interested if filling this paid position. The job requirements will be listed on the IMAA Web Page. Interested individuals should contact the IMAA President.

Frank V. Ponteri
IMAA District One Director
Old 12-31-2005, 05:20 PM
av1cadet

EasyTiger, I would like to talk to you via phone. You seem to be the only one who really knows just who Hammer is. Please send me an email @ [email protected] with your phone number and I will give you the "rest of the story" (To those of you who may "hate my guts" and want to send me emails telling me so please don't. I toss all the email I don't want at the server level so I will never see your message anyhow. Thanks. av1cadet
ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

HC, you are right. Does anyone remember a thread last year where that name was prominent?

Who is trying to raise the dues? Isn't that a wonderful way to attract more members?

Whoa! This is getting GOOD!

Tom Hammer now IMAA President? You think he's going to save you?

Question:
How many people think the Hammer Field Story was just as he presented it? That his big bad neighbor just decided that Hammer had to move his model field?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:52 AM
av1cadet

EasyTiger, the site says you are online. Please send me your phone number you will be amazed as to what Hammer is up to now. By the way I didn't know you were getting my "emails to the troops" I will remove you from the list as soon as I get your email address.
Thanks,
av1cadet
Old 01-01-2006, 12:14 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

No problem. I will call you later today when I am freed up.
I am on the Aviation Cadets list because I sold you a VK Nieuport kit many years ago...not an Aviation Cadet Museum member, I'm just on your email list because you have my email adress from the Nieuport deal. I don't mind getting the updates about the Museum you send, they are only once in a while, and while I am not a member or donor to your museum, it's still interesting to me to see how things are going, being an aviation and museum buff, so don't bother removing me from the list.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: av1cadet

EasyTiger, the site says you are online. Please send me your phone number you will be amazed as to what Hammer is up to now. By the way I didn't know you were getting my "emails to the troops" I will remove you from the list as soon as I get your email address.
Thanks,
av1cadet

Since you are taking this public rather than PMs, I surmise you are inviting others to see what Hammer is up to. I would like to know your thoughts. I am also a kind of aviation buff, like Charter Founder and sustaining member of the The American Air Museum in Britain, name on the National Aviation and Space Exploration Wall of Honor, Udvar-Hazy Ctr., plus also a graduate of the USAF Aviation Cadet - Navigator (then on to Bombardier school and then on to Pilot Training). I also belong to IMAA and supported Hammer in his quest to maintain control over his personal property.
You can privately email me through here or use PM or post your thoughts here. Yep, I am interested.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:52 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Just had a nice chat(my first) with Errol Severe...as nice a guy as you could meet, it seems.
I will only say this: that my suspicions about Tom Hammer, as voiced on that other thread, are most likely right on the mark, that there is much more to the "Hammer Field" story (remember? "AMA VERSUS poor Tom Hammer!") than he is letting out, that more is happening as we speak, and that IMAA is probably NOT going to head in a positive direction under his stewardship, and that if people really knew more about him, they would probably be VERY concerned.
Enough said. I think time and events will prove out what I say, and that all those people who immediately jumped on his bandwagon for the sole reason that he is an "opressed modeller" will probably be cringing later on.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:08 PM
bofrcr

hey! all!! Well,, first,, I'm just a regular modeler,, got bit by the "giant" bug at the git-go,,(I too,,was at the first meeting at toledo,,#120,,),,"my" 2 cents worth? Yes,, I think things need to be changed,, but as to how?,,can't say. Yes,, the highflight magazine,, has gotten boreing,,(change could,help),,will the AMA ,, "wake up",, as to the wieght limit?,,like in europe?? yes,, we've come a long way,,for sure!! most modeller's,, maybe like me,, just ,,sorta sigh,, charge their batteries,,and go fly! Where's the direction going?? beat's me!!,, al I know,, is,, I just want to keep flying,, and building,, most likely I'll "re-up",, at toledo this year.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:41 PM
riph
My Feedback: (26)

The membership of the IMAA started down from the day it was required to have an IMAA card to fly at an IMAA event. Prior to this period we in Texas had IMAA flyins that were open to anyone with a big bird. We usually picked up several members at each flyin. For the next few years after the new rule started the IMAA sanctioned flyins in Texas decreased considerable. There were several members in almost every club that had big bird planes and it became apparent that we always had more flyers when we did not inforce the new rule. In a few years IMAA sanctioned events in Texas decreased every year to the present almost none. IMAA really dropped the ball during the time the big birds started becoming popular. Now who needs the IMAA to fly a big bird or have a big bird event. NO ONE. A few of your guys still have your head in the sand.

Rip Holdridge IMAA #0980
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: riph

The membership of the IMAA started down from the day it was required to have an IMAA card to fly at an IMAA event. Prior to this period we in Texas had IMAA flyins that were open to anyone with a big bird. We usually picked up several members at each flyin. For the next few years after the new rule started the IMAA sanctioned flyins in Texas decreased considerable. There were several members in almost every club that had big bird planes and it became apparent that we always had more flyers when we did not inforce the new rule. In a few years IMAA sanctioned events in Texas decreased every year to the present almost none. IMAA really dropped the ball during the time the big birds started becoming popular. Now who needs the IMAA to fly a big bird or have a big bird event. NO ONE. A few of your guys still have your head in the sand.

Rip Holdridge IMAA #0980

riph

Great post and right on the money… IMO. Bravo! It is a shame that more in this hobby do not understand what you have just succinctly expressed.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:39 AM
wingstwo
My Feedback: (42)

"I.M.A.A. BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Doubletree Hotel, Ontario Airport, CA
Jan. 12, 2007

The Secretary/Treasure reported as follows: Membership is 7,423 which is down
another 447
for the year, compared to a loss of 473 in 2005. IMAA has 279 re-chartered
chapters. The cash flow in 2006 decreased to the point that IMAA may need to
dip into its reserve for operating expenses
. "

Thanks Bipe2.

We didn't see the new IMAA board minutes until
you mentioned it. Since we stopped renewing our memberships
4 years ago, we don't keep up on what they have been doing.

But this is just so sad. Actually raised the dues to $25 a year,
and they are now down almost 5,000 members from a few years
ago. Now the IMAA reports in their own board minutes that it
must begin to use its last reserve emergency funds to operate.

What have they been doing?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It is what they haven't been doing that is the problem. And that is listening to the membership (or in many cases the former membership). They still refuse to support any kind of on line forum like other SIGS where they could get inputs, High Flight still same old format, wasting space, no technical articles of any substance. In essence the organization has become terminally tail heavy with the predicted result we are witnessing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.