Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Spread Spectrum >

Spread Spectrum

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Spread Spectrum

Old 11-29-2005, 11:59 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spread Spectrum

rec.models.rc.air
Re: Jimmy Corn A.K.A. SoCalGliderFlyr

"Robbie and Laura Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you want to get in touch with me there's no need to chase me aronud
> Usenet. My correct address is in the headers on every post. Send me an
> email. I tried to contact you on RCgroups.com, but I'm not a member so
> I couldn't send you a message.

I think he is hiding under this rock:

SoCal GliderGuider
Engine? Don't Need No Stinking Engine!

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum
SoCalGliderGuider, do you want your habitat shared with those
looking for you on the newsgroup or are you hiding?

Don't threaten me Jimmy. You will NOT like the results.

It's not hot air! It's lift!

Hey Jimmy Corn,

I was serious when I asked the question because I was trying to be helpful. I decided to share your current hiding place with the guy I happen to respect who was asking. Hope this helps you, though I really do wonder why you are hiding from him...

OBTW, you really should ask around because I am well and widely known for NOT threatening.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would very much like much more detail than someone. Who, when, where, and what were the test parameters. After all, we are potentially putting people at risk if it is as limited in range as I have been lead to believe. Care to share some of that information?
Someone already posted the link so I won't double the effort. I've been away from the computer and haven't had a chance to catch up to the groups until now. As stated before these are geared more toward park fliers. There are ways of safely range checking the equipment once it is airborne. This is something that I am looking forward to do. I have a wireless camera on one of my planes. I can have someone control the Spread Spectrum system and control the camera on the plane. Meanwhile I fly around where I would normally fly at with my 72mhz radio. I have GPS tracks of many of my flights. After looking at those tracks I really don't fly beyond a 1000' point of view in any direction. Anything past 1000' and the plane is very hard to see. However for now I'm just going to use the Spektrum system on my electrics.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:00 AM

Thanks Jim. Apparently my missunderstanding.

I'll just change that usenet ID. I like your name. Then I'm not on usenet much anymore.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I like this system and am on the list to get one of the 2 alotted to my LHS. I am going to do a complete test for our group.

HIgh RF density Dome indoor environs will be one of its tests.

I am curious though, it seems the 1watt max was not used. I know there are technical issues involved in not using the max. 1watt at 2.4ghz is quite a lot. Health and antenna matching come to mind .

I wil probably experiment beyond it's reccomendations, in a private setting. I am sure others already have pushed it. Increasing the power is an easy fix in theory. But, it is not as simple as that.

If this system works within 2000ft LOS it will be fine for most modelers. I personally don't fly more 1/4 mile away linear. add the height in and it seems that this system is adequete, but just that.

Going to the Dome for foamie time, or to the field for 1/2a E-planes .....this will be perfect.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:41 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think for the applications you mentioned, this is probably a great radio system. However, for anything larger than a 60 sized bird I have very serious reservations. I have commnented on IMAC guys flying over 1/2 mile from the field...
Old 12-10-2005, 12:32 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think for the applications you mentioned, this is probably a great radio system. However, for anything larger than a 60 sized bird I have very serious reservations. I have commnented on IMAC guys flying over 1/2 mile from the field...
I think this is why they target the parkflyer market. Not a lot of people flying .60 size planes on electric power. You can but no many do.