Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is the purpose of holding a World Championship (F3A) ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
to determine the single best pilot in the world
10.00%
to determine the single best 3 pilot national team in the world
6.67%
both choice 1 and choice 2
43.33%
choice 2 is secondary to choice 1
16.67%
choice 1 is secondary to choice 2
0%
other
23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

What is the purpose of holding a World Championship (F3A) ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the purpose of holding a World Championship (F3A) ?

In your opinion, what is the reason an FAI F3A World Championship is held?

Is it to determine the single best pilot in the world?

Is it to determine the single best 3 pilot national team in the world?

Are the two goals above mutually exclusive?

Is there some possible way to assure that both goals are accurately achieved?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What is the purpose of holding a World Championship (F3A) ?

The F3A class is a team as well as an individual competition. FAI member countries may enter a team of maximum three competitors as a national team for world- and continental championships. Team results are the sum of the three competitors' scores.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: J_R

In your opinion, what is the reason an FAI F3A World Championship is held?

Is it to determine the single best pilot in the world?

Is it to determine the single best 3 pilot national team in the world?

Are the two goals above mutually exclusive?

Is there some possible way to assure that both goals are accurately achieved?
Help me understand:
Why do you ask?
Why do you ask in an AMA forum?
Is the F3A World Championship an AMA function?
Precisely what goes on in an F3A World Championship?
Thanks,
Dave Olson
Old 12-15-2005, 01:23 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Help me understand:
Why do you ask?
Thanks,
Dave Olson
Can see why your name is Scar, all the guy did was ask a question and he's being interrogated. Maybe he wants to know and it has something to do with Chip trying to kick out legal immigrants from playing in his reindeer games.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:27 PM
bhole74

Looks like a 50/50 vote, 1 to 1, anyone care to cast the tie breaker?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Help me understand:
Why do you ask?
Thanks,
Dave Olson
Can see why your name is Scar, all the guy did was ask a question and he's being interrogated. Maybe he wants to know and it has something to do with Chip trying to kick out legal immigrants from playing in his reindeer games.
You mean he's trying to kick non-Americans off the American team?[X(]

Woops
Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Help me understand:
Why do you ask?
Thanks,
Dave Olson
I'm a bit curious. Does anyone know what kind of residence status QQ has? It's entirely possible that he's here on a work visa. Given STLs limited understanding of the whole immigration system, and his ability to miss significant facts, I doubt he realizes this, but many people who are resident in the US do not have immigrant status. Many are here on non-immigrant visas such as student, business, etc. Immigration visas are a special class.

A person who resides in the US without having immigrant status absolutely SHOULD NOT represent us, they just happen to live here. But anyway, it's obvious STL is trolling once again, back to the original subject.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck
I'm a bit curious. Does anyone know what kind of residence status QQ has?
Didn't find an answer to my question, but I did find some PR statements that he and his wife want to become US citizens.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pick "other" - it's to showcase talent to a wider audience, and to act as an impetus to both innovation and improved techniques, etc.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

I'd pick "other" - it's to showcase talent to a wider audience, and to act as an impetus to both innovation and improved techniques, etc.
That seems on track, Gordon. In addition, it's to showcase the equipment logos on the stuff used by the predominant talent(s). That may be the ultimate objective. J_R asked earlier in another thread who won the last F3A Worlds. Haven't checked replies, but I admit I dunno. I expect at least half of them have JR sponsorship though, and JR knows what counts.......from their Dec 05 adverts in various modeling rags I know that "JR DOMINATES RC AT NATS." The winners in 5 of 6 categories (includes F3A, so to stay on topic) flew with JR radios....but who they were is of little consequence.

Abel
Old 12-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Taildrager-inactive

Sounds like some people don't like free enterprize in a world wide market. Without commercial sponsership by companies like JR many of our local fly ins and compitation would not be attended by the top flyers in the world.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Scar

Help me understand:
Why do you ask?
Thanks,
Dave Olson
The AMA discussion forum encompasses this because the FAI is represented in areomodeling in the United States by the AMA.
The AMA has in the past, and probably will continue to host FAI areomodeling World championships, in the different FAI venues, from time to time.
Precisely? Wow, I hope this works for you. This synopsis of F3A was written by Bob Skinner of South Africa, Chairman of the CIAM F3A Sub-committee. http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/f3a/
Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Well, I disagree with your reasons but also voted "other". The purpose is plain and simple: to make money.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
50%plane

Quique won the event with his Brio. He was followed by Chip Hyde. Don Szczur was 11/100 of a point behind Chip. Quique and Don flew JR radios and Chip flew Airtronics. This was reported by www.natsnews.org.

Woops

Edited to give credit
Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Taildrager

Sounds like some people don't like free enterprize in a world wide market. Without commercial sponsership by companies like JR many of our local fly ins and compitation would not be attended by the top flyers in the world.
I'm a strong proponent of free enterprise. What did I say that made you think otherwise?

Abel (who btw uses JR radios)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 PM
YNOT

... it has something to do with Chip trying to kick out legal immigrants from playing in his reindeer games.
You are WAY too liberal to work at a company that specializes in 3D aircraft. I'm not sure if I want to fly OMP birds anymore. Too bad, Fusion is a fantastic airplane.

Edit: I fly Futaba.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: YNOT

... it has something to do with Chip trying to kick out legal immigrants from playing in his reindeer games.
You are WAY too liberal to work at a company that specializes in 3D aircraft. I'm not sure if I want to fly OMP birds anymore. Too bad, Fusion is a fantastic airplane.

Edit: I fly Futaba.
YNOT-

Please clarify. You seem to be saying that the Grand Republic of Sanwa is conservative in political leaning, while the Sovereign State of Japan Radio is leftist. Have I got that straight (and where does the Dominion of Futaba fit)?

BTW, did you really get sucked in by the disingenuous 'patriotic' appeal from the 'citizen' of Sanwa?

BwaaaaaaaaaaaaHaaaaaaaa!

Abel

"When all is said and done, it's best to leave it at that" - anon
Old 12-15-2005, 10:44 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: woops

Quique won the event with his Brio. He was followed by Chip Hyde. Don Szczur was 11/100 of a point behind Chip. Quique and Don flew JR radios and Chip flew Airtronics. This was reported by www.natsnews.org.

Woops

Edited to give credit
Woops.

You are starting to make me have that sinking feeling… you know the one... be careful of what you wish for. A few months back a thread about FAI drew about zero interest… now there is you.

Doesn’t it surprise you just how many US representatives flew in the event you are hanging your hat on? Why do you suppose that is? I mean, we have discussed that each country in a World Championship can only have three members... right?

F3A is a class competition of aircraft defined by the FAI. F3A can be a club event, or anything up to and including the World Championships. There is, for instance, a European F3A championship. The event you found is F3A run as an event at the National Championships (NATS) put on at Muncie, by the AMA. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a World Championship event.

In another thread, I asked some questions which Chip Hyde answered some of. One of those questions was what is the term of the cycle of FAI world championships. The Answer is… two years, IIRC. The last World Championship took place in Japan in 2005 if my memory is correct, if not, …. . I will leave it to you to find out who finished where… or not… as you choose. The names you mentioned did not win, IIRC.

Have you ever been involved with ANY form of competition involving model aircraft? Had you ever heard of FAI previous to the last two weeks? Do you actually try to comprehend anything you read before engaging your keyboard?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:04 PM
J_R

Woops, try this. If you can get through it and comprehend the info, there may be hope for you yet.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...1/key_/tm.htm#
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 PM
YNOT

Futaba Pilots seem to drive GM products and be Conservative.

JR pilots seem to drive Fords and be liberal.

This has been an ongoing observation over several years.

I guess Sanwa pilots drive Dodge and are independent.

Sanwa..........I really though I was the only one who referred to them that way. funny.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:20 AM
abel_pranger

Sanwa..........I really though I was the only one who referred to them that way. funny.

YNOT-

By Golly, I think you're right. I haven't made notes over over several years as you have, but my observations though less studied than yours do seem to correlate. I don't have Sanwa gear at present, but maybe there is a yin-yang thing going on (I'll try Feng Shui classes to confirm) with the Futaba and JR stuff I do have, as I consider myself an independent. I do have a Ford pickem' up, but that's because I'm cheap and the Dodge I really wanted cost a lot more.
Tnx for the insight - you're definitely on (to) something.

Abel
Old 12-16-2005, 07:50 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: J_R

ORIGINAL: woops

Woops

Edited to give credit
Woops.

You are starting to make me have that sinking feeling… you know the one... be careful of what you wish for. A few months back a thread about FAI drew about zero interest… now there is you.

Doesn’t it surprise you just how many US representatives flew in the event you are hanging your hat on? Why do you suppose that is? I mean, we have discussed that each country in a World Championship can only have three members... right?

F3A is a class competition of aircraft defined by the FAI. F3A can be a club event, or anything up to and including the World Championships. There is, for instance, a European F3A championship. The event you found is F3A run as an event at the National Championships (NATS) put on at Muncie, by the AMA. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a World Championship event.

In another thread, I asked some questions which Chip Hyde answered some of. One of those questions was what is the term of the cycle of FAI world championships. The Answer is… two years, IIRC. The last World Championship took place in Japan in 2005 if my memory is correct, if not, …. . I will leave it to you to find out who finished where… or not… as you choose. The names you mentioned did not win, IIRC.

Have you ever been involved with ANY form of competition involving model aircraft? Had you ever heard of FAI previous to the last two weeks? Do you actually try to comprehend anything you read before engaging your keyboard?
When I wrote this:

Woops

Edited to give credit
I was replying to Abel and Taildragger. Abel posted this:
That seems on track, Gordon. In addition, it's to showcase the equipment logos on the stuff used by the predominant talent(s). That may be the ultimate objective. J_R asked earlier in another thread who won the last F3A Worlds. Haven't checked replies, but I admit I dunno. I expect at least half of them have JR sponsorship though, and JR knows what counts.......from their Dec 05 adverts in various modeling rags I know that "JR DOMINATES RC AT NATS." The winners in 5 of 6 categories (includes F3A, so to stay on topic) flew with JR radios....but who they were is of little consequence.

Abel
Taildragger posted this in reply:
Here's another quote:
Woops, try this. If you can get through it and comprehend the info, there may be hope for you yet.
I don't follow F3A that closely since it's not reported very well.(from my sources) My main bag deals with scale aerobatics. However, I would love to learn about F3A and thus, will read your link. I'm sorry that you misunderstood my quotes.

Sincerely,
Woops
Old 12-16-2005, 09:52 AM
bhole74

So what do I drive? I have Hitec radios and plan on upgrading to a JR.

I think I have throw a wrench in this theory.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: bhole74

So what do I drive? I have Hitec radios and plan on upgrading to a JR.

I think I have throw a wrench in this theory.
If you fly Hitec, you have to drive a Toyota. What do you drive if you fly Airtronics? Multiplex? Tower? What if you fly more than one brand of radios?

Woops
Old 12-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I currently own both Futaba and JR, I am unable to make up my mind which of my vehicles to drive. Sadly, this means that until I sell one or the other brand of radio I am compelled to walk everywhere I go.

I'm glad to see the above though. I was having a hard time deciding which brand to get rid of -- but since I can't stand Bush I now realise that I need to sell the Futaba, along with the GM van. Thanks a bunch for clearing that up for me.

Gordon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.