Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Smaller AMA Convention?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Smaller AMA Convention?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:49 PM
JAkridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smaller AMA Convention?

I'm jumping in the fire here because the AMA convention is this weekend. I also have been to the last 3 AMA's, RCX's and the iHobby show. I can say for sure RCX is suited way more to RC Cars, they do have great stuff for that hobby. And yes there was planes at RCX, very few. The iHobbby show had everything there, Alot of train stuff, RC Cars, Planes and "Hobby Stuff" in general.
The AMA Convention is suited toward the RC Plane flyers, always has been, and always will be. Now sure it sucks they picked California to have it in for the USA mass's ( Hey I'm happy as hell, it's a 40 min drive for me )................But would I go to any of these hobby shows if they weren't within a hour or so drive for me, let's say if they moved them to Arizona. And AZ is way closer than say a guy from Ohio wanting to see the AMA show. Would I make a longer drive "NOPE" I love seeing them but I wouldn't drive any farther than a few hours.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

I like having the show here in SOCAL. First it carries on the tradition started by the old IMS show in Pasadena and second, it brings a show to us. The NE has the WRAM show, the midwest has Toledo, the NW has Pullayup, and we have the AMA show. Oh, and the RCX show, which as we know now DOES indeed have airplanes in the same hall as the cars and boats. The iHobby Expo is going back to Chicago this year.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:22 AM
JAkridge

I'm kind of glad the iHobby show is moving this year. I can't afford 3 hobby show a year. I can find something to buy at every one of them.[&:]
Old 01-14-2006, 08:39 PM
JAkridge

We just got back from the AMA show. I got out of there only spending around 200.00 total, thats pretty easy to spend in this hobby. I would say it was about the same size as last years. I have to say the place was pack and it did look like the vendor count was down a few.
You know as far as getting any real deals from buying at the AMA Convention I would say "NO", There was a few things selling a little cheaper but not earth shaking. I think what I saved on my few items was either the cost of tax's or shipping if I would have ordered off the internet, which I do a lot.
Me and my wife still enjoy walking around looking at all the goodies and BS'ing with the vendors, and seeing a few friends walking around. All in all it was a fun day.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:54 AM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Since I moved out of state and cannot visit the AMA show like I use to (30 minute drive) [8D]is there anyone going to post some pictures of interesting new products or of the static models? I may try the Northwest Show this year, it's closer to me now but what has been the history of the show to date as compared to the AMA show?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 AM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

Im headded out within the hour and will post some picts this eve of the goodies
Old 01-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are 1/2 the pics I took yesterday and have uploaded so far.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And you took some great shots...thanks from all of us who didn't make the show.

Jerry
Old 01-15-2006, 08:30 PM
TooLow

Well---back from the show. Met a few "old" friends, bumped elbows with some new ones and generally had a good time! What I found was there were a few empty booths that vendors had abandonded for the sunday shop, several vendors saying that they had sold out of "show specials"early and had none for the Sunday show. To me it seemed that the push of the show was Electrics, foamies, Elect heli's and anything that took batteries. The standards were there--JR, Polks,Hitec,Airtronics. For me the hit of the show was the Hitec robot, eat your heart out Honda--this little 12" fellow had some moves! Thanks AMA
Old 01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Went to the show, I'm a veteran of the old Pasadena IMS show so this one has a lot to live up too.

It was quite plcked and there were quite a few interesting vendors on display and it is very nice to see these things up close and personal. Especially some of the things you don't normally see at the field or in the lhs like the big expensive hacker multimotor gizmos. All in all though it was a waste of time; I found very few "deals" that were out of the oridinary. Granted; there were good deals I'm sure - there were a lot of GWS and Electric Heli and Electrics in general going on. Electric was a big deal at this show. Horizon was there, but Tower wasn't, Kyosho was there but Great Planes wasn't. Sig wasn't (can't recall the last show Sig was at though) which was a real bummer for me as they have fantastic products and always have.

Fliton has some cool things going on but only had 3 or 4 planes to show. GWS was out there and really showing their stuff but they didn't have anything new that I noticed ( I do enjoy their stuff though - don't get me wrong). Hitec and Airtronics were there but where were the other radio vendors? Either they had small booths and I Didn't see them or they weren't there.

MAybe I Was walking around with my eyes closed...I had a couple of buddies there but the topic that really dominated was SELLING right then and there instead of building the customer base by getting them excited about new products coming out. I Didn't go there to buy anything, my year of building is well planned but I was looking for some neat things to put into the plans.

Anyway; If next year's schedule looks much the same then I'm just going to go flying. At least the weather sucked yesterday...
Old 01-15-2006, 10:20 PM
TooLow

Great Planes was there---they occupied the corner booth which was off to the right as you came in--last row. They had their G3 sim set up on a big flat screen. Got a chance to talk to Don Anderson about my Seawind. While I was there a gent showed up with a video of his Seawind converted to electric. Very interesting!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:16 PM
submikester

Okay, yeah I do remember the Great Planes booth now.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you wearing dark glasses for I agree with TooLow. I saw the vendors he had mentioned in the Sunday evening post. And, it you would have inquired, most sold out of the cheap show stuff sometime on Saturday. The folks in the corner with the $9 servos were out of them on Sunday morning, They only brought 200 they said and was too far to drive back to get another 200.

SIG wasn't there, nor Fox and they told us back in 2003 the firms were not doing so good. Likewise, the old standards of RCM and Superior Balsa, were not there, and we all know why. You should heve received a dealer map, review it and then compare it to last year to see who was and who was not present.

Wm.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:11 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Not one thread either here or on RC Groups with any extensive photo coverage. The slopers on RC Groups do have a few pictures but only what they are interested in. Not even a listing on either web site in the Events section. Lame. Really lame.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:28 PM
submikester

Well, I took my camera with the intention of taking lots of pictures.

When I got there the area where the models were on display was all roped off, you couldn't walk between tables or anything it was just a big block of tables roped off so you couldn't get up close on them to take decent pictures. The only ones that were really noteworth for taking pictures was the large russion cargo jet and Sung's Panther (which is awesome to see). I wanted to take pictures at the booths but it was so crowded it just wan't possible to get a good picture with any merchandise. It was like people were clawing at items and clawing at the representatives at most booths so to say that it wasn't productive for those vendors to be there I think would be misleading.

For me though what I wanted from the show just didn't jive with what it's apparent intention. Hook people up with as much GWS gear and Electric Helicopters as possible.

I mean, I don't recall seeing any real engine manufacturer there and I don't recall hobby people even having a booth (I remember seeing a flier but I didn't see a booth.) I would have loved to get a look at some magnum engines - maybe see some new ones. OS, Saito...anything really but nothing of note.

Hacker had a great booth going and they had the motors on display and a few knowledgeable folks on hand to talk about their stuff. Same with Hitec, Airtroncs and GWS and while there wasn't a lot of new stuff to show there were folks there to answer questions and talk about the products.

I honestly don't know what the purpose of this show was - especially as a show that is supposed to represent the entire country's membership.

<sigh> I think I'm going to step off my soap box with this comment, I've been an AMA member for a long time and I appreciate the organization. This show though was not and has not been a reflection of the organization's commitment to their membership.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Kmot

Hobby People only do RCX now since they sponsor it. Virtually all other businesses who are in r/c were at the iHobby Expo just last October. Coming back for another show in the same area 3 months later was probably just too much. Sig was at iHobby.

I inquired at a couple of the major players why they did not have more on display. It was because they were limited to the booth size. That is the fault of the show organizers and planners.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Newc

Not one thread either here or on RC Groups with any extensive photo coverage.
How about the 69 photos posted in #32 on this thread by Kmot, SoCal?

Here are 1/2 the pics I took yesterday and have uploaded so far.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

I have to admit I did overlook the "Here" link. I've been searching both forums using "AMA", "AMA Show", "AMA Convention", "AMA pictures" and "AMA photos. The link did not show up.

Thank you Kmot. You are one of two places where show pictures can be seen.

I wonder why the AMA does not have any on their web site?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Kmot

You are all very welcome. Part of the fun of this hobby for me is taking and posting pictures.

I have about another 60 or 70 to post but first I have to resize them for my host and that takes a lot of time and I have other distractions.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:55 PM
migflyer
My Feedback: (2)

hi guys as i saw the ama show it was bigger and a little bit better than last year since i live here in ont i like it the past three years it has gotten better but i do have one complaint about the show and that is the center shoot i took my kids there .to have lunch for them it was over 20 bucks shoot i could get better prices when they were in pasadena i dought it would to any good to have ama say anything to the city but it would be nice for them to let the city know that the people were not happy about but then again the show was great
Old 01-18-2006, 01:27 AM
ira d

I like haveing the show in ONTARIO but it was noticeably smaller
this year while at the same time the admission was higher.

I always pre order my tickets but a friend of mine told me he
was charged $15.00 at the door because he had not recived
his 2006 AMA card that he had already paid for.