Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA And Helicopters

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA And Helicopters

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 07:17 AM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA And Helicopters

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with info on AMA and helicopters at flying fields. I currently Have a 30 size heli and fly it in my buildings parking lot. But I was thinking about Joining ama if I could fly my helicopter on a plane flying field. I have 2 fields that I know of near me and the extra space of a field would be nice. If anyone knows of any links for ama please let me know. And also if there is any special things that I should know because it is a helicopter. Thanks Kurt
Old 12-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Scotty740

Most helicopter fliers fly with an AMA club. I'd suggest that you visit the local clubs and see if they are "Helicopter Friendly". There are two local clubs in my area and both have helicopter pilots as their president now. Some clubs don't tolerate helicopters well and most of that is caused by new fliers spending too much time hovering over the runway.

The club that I belong to and am president of has a separate helicopter flying area to use when the main field is crowded with planes. The other club has the share the field with planes and as long as you can fly patterns and aren't doing a lot of just hovering it works out ok. Some places had designated a special helicopter flying day to accommodate us chopper pilots.

There are no special rules that limit helicopters other than the standard AMA safety rules. Many plane pilots are now switching over to helicopters now and they are accepted at fields much more than they used to be.

IRCHA is the helicopter special interest group of the AMA and there are a lot of good contacts there.

If you go to the links drop down at the bottom of this page and select helicopter links there is a link to IRCHA as well as a helicopter pilot locater list. You might want to check if there are any pilots in your area and contact them and see where they fly.

Good luck
Old 12-09-2002, 03:03 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will find that most clubs will welcome you. It has been my experience that the only ones that don't like helis are either the ones that have tried them and failed, or the ones that don't understand them, and won't take the time to realize that they are as safe as a plane. The only problems I had with mine are a couple of the older pilots who for whatever reason, think helicopters really don't fly. You will probably be pleasantly surprised. Most clubs have not seen a heli flown properly, so they will enjoy it and you may get a couple interested in doing it. Thats what happened here. Now I have a few guys flying them with me.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:29 AM
UrcHobby

Now I'm not really sure how it works. What should I do join AMA and then how does it work from there. I know some of the people from the lhs that go there and they do fly helis but not sure if they fly there. I is also know when ever I try to talk to any of them they just treat me like a kid (I'm 27 years old) and I take my heli very seriously. No one taught my how to fly I just wound up doing it on my own. If you could just tell me some steps on what I should do first to get me going that would be great!
Old 12-09-2002, 07:46 AM
ctdahle

Kurt, I just think helicopters are extremely cool, and I don't know a soul that flies them. I wish I did. I do get the feeling that some of the airplane guys don't like them at all and try to run them off the field. I also know that some of the chopper guys get away with flying from much smaller flying sites than the airplane flyers.

Anyway, the AMA insures you just fine if you fly choppers. they also have field guidelines that should allow them to share fields with fixed wing models, no problem. Model Aviation, the AMA magazine, runs regular helicopter articles that I always find interesting, even if they are beyond my technical understanding.

AMA has a special interest group for helicopters, the NRCHA, so you might check them out too. Look on the links page at the ama website, www.modelaircraft.org for more details.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:36 AM
UrcHobby

Chris, Do I have to get a licence? and what do I do just get ama and go down and fly or do I have to prove myself to some instructor? i'm really not sure how it works. Thanks Kurt
Old 12-09-2002, 04:52 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AMA is just insurance, basically. They probably have a club dues too. You will probably have to belong to both. Some clubs are very stand offish to new members, but once you start flying they come around. Some people are just not personable. Get the ama and go to the field and ask what it takes to join. You shouldn't have to prove yourself to anyone, and you don't need any licence or anything like that. Some clubs may want a safety inspection on planes, but from what I have found in the past is, they usually let the lower qualified pilots do it and it is a waste of time. Most clubs are very good and the guys who fly are usually great to be around. There are some that think they are gods gift, but they are easy to pick out and avoid. Hope you have fun with the hobby. I learned heli by myself too, and now that I do 3D and other stuff with it, others are getting helis too and learning. It is a blast to teach them. Have fun!
Old 12-09-2002, 10:43 PM
UrcHobby

Okey ama is just insurance (you need that at a field) but what does the club do and do you have to join? Thanks Kurt
Old 12-10-2002, 03:43 AM
J_R

71prostreet

Don't spend any money yet. The first step is to go to the club field where you think you might be interested in flying. Talk to the guys there. Ask your questions of the club members or leaders. If you feel inclined to join THEN ask about membership in the club and the AMA.

The AMA does not own or run fields (Except the National Flying Site). The club may or may not be chartered by the AMA. If it is an AMA chartered club, it will probably be necessary to join both the club and the AMA to fly there.

Go ask questions first, you will likely be greeted with open arms. If not, try talking to someone else in the club, it's always possible to find a jerk in most groups. Occasionally, a club will not allow helicopters. You would certainly want to know that before you join. The club may or may not have proficiency requirements. Talking to the club members should give you the information you seek. The bottom line is that each club sets most of it's own rules. The AMA safety code is the common link between all chartered clubs.

JR
Old 12-10-2002, 10:23 AM
dennis1943
My Feedback: (12)

if you were to walk in to the eutawville club you will need to join the club and the ama to fly there on a regular basis we give three visits +- we normaly do with a profency test and all :boxing: ow to to fly by yourself with nobody else in the air if ok then you are allowed to go by yourself, if you are a visitor with no ama card you will have to fly with our intro pilot. VISITORS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME AT THE EUTAWVILLE FLYERS CLUB 843-753-3599, DENNIS W. MARTIN SR. club secretary.

dennis 1943
Old 12-11-2002, 03:35 AM
ctdahle

What Dennis said pretty much goes anywhere I have ever flown, EXCEPT for our field here in Colorado. Since we are not an AMA club, and our field is owned by the county, we wouldn't tell you you had to join the club or the AMA. In fact, I would probably be the only one there and I'd just be itching to watch your chopper go...of course, I'd be ready to run and hide in the car if you looked like you were about to lose it.