Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

YOU CAN'T JOIN AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

YOU CAN'T JOIN AMA

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YOU CAN'T JOIN AMA

12:50 5-18-06 After calling the AMA number three times and getting voice mail from membership servicers I decided to talk to the operator. "I would like to join AMA" the operator connects me to someone. "Hi I would like to join AMA as a new member" the other person "you can't join AMA as a new member over the phone". What the heck is happining here, when anyone who would like to join AMA as a new member is told they cannot over the phone. The AMA is losing members yet people are getting told this. This more than makes me mad, I am so discusted with AMA right now, If it were not for the fact I need it to fly at other club fields and the up comming Warbirds over Dane I would tell AMA to put their membership where the sun don't shine.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: YOU CAN'T JOIN AMA

"Hi I would like to join AMA as a new member" the other person "you can't join AMA as a new member over the phone". What the heck is happining here, when anyone who would like to join AMA as a new member is told they cannot over the phone.

A person has not been able to join the AMA over the phone for quite some time now. A prospective AMA member MUST read and sign the insurance waiver and Safety Code before the aplication can be processed. An electronic signature IS acceptable, however, and the whole application process can be completed on the AMA website at:

[link]https://www.modelaircraft.org/MemberApp.aspx?verified=true[/link]

Now, stop making excuses for not joining. Fish or cut bait.

Dr.1
Old 05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
KW_Counter

Did the person on the phone bother to tell the caller they could join on line?
Did they explain why they couldn't join on the phone?
Or did they just say it couldn't be done?
KW_Counter
Old 05-18-2006, 03:21 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Maybe he doesn't have an Internet connection???
Old 05-18-2006, 03:33 PM
rcmiket

Then how did he post here?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 PM
STLPilot

Hence the smilies after my post.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 PM
redfox435cat

Maybe he doesn't have an Internet connection???
just too funny

dude your signing up for insurance. In todays legal world I haven't seen many insurance companies that don't need a hand signed form or electronic signature to verify you've read or at least said you read your policy. To get pissed simple because she couldn't sign ya up right there is a little silly. Go to the web site and print, fill out and sign and mail or fax or fill out the form online. I don't know about ya'all but I hate using the phone anyway. Ya the chick on the phone at the AMA are really ditsy, I found that when when I noticed I didn't get a MA magazine for 3 months and had to call em. Got my magazines though[8D]
Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Taildrager-inactive

To answer a couple questions, yes I could have joined on line if I wanted to give the AMA my email address which I did not but it is required to join on line. I didn't ask nor do I care if I could join on line, I had my credit card and wanted to join over the phone, that is the point. Isn't it funny one can join the National Rifle Assoication over the phone but not AMA Dude I could care less about the insurance, my home owners insurance enables me to fly at my home field without AMA.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:27 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taildrager

If it were not for the fact I need it to fly at other club fields and the up comming Warbirds over Dane I would tell AMA to put their membership where the sun don't shine.

If for some reason doing it on the website as described by Dr1 Driver is unpalatable and if the Warbirds over Dane event is an sanctioned AMA event Then you could just ask for the contest director and say "Hi I would like to join the AMA as a new member". CD's are empowered to accept the money and sign you up for instant membership. It makes no differance as to what type of event it is. They can do this only on the dates of the sanction.

John
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 PM
rcmiket

And some places don't take Personal Checks anymore.............. I'm not the biggest fan of the AMA but maintain my membership for the same reason. So just because they won't do it over the phone is no big deal or a lack of customer service in my book. You can fax in your info also.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Taildrager-inactive

Isn't it funny I just called Nationwide insurance Company, and you can get insurance on your home or car over the phone in about 3 min. So the point about having to sign papers to Join AMA is just BS in this day and age. Thats why I am angry. I guess I am not getting my point across, the AMA is losing membership, but refuses to let someone obtain a membership quickly, easly over the phone when membership to other national organizations, and obtaining insurance for your car or home is so easy to do over the phone.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:50 PM
STLPilot

Isn't it funny I just called Nationwide insurance Company, and you can get insurance on your home or car over the phone in about 3 min.
Nationwide is a for profit corporation with REALLY deep pockets. When you have money you can bend some of the rules. Did you ask Nationwide if you don't have to agree to their terms if you want their insurance. I bet a buck they will send you something that you will need to sign and return within a certain time period.

I can assure you if insurance was not part of the deal, then they would take the info over the phone, however they have liability. Once you agree to terms, in some physical way, the liability is then transferred from them to you. This way when you go to sue the AMA for something you weren't covered for, you can't say "they never told me about that". Obviously, some of the members of our "club" don't hold a full deck of cards.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:17 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

OH boo hoo...

just fill out the paperwork and send it in...sheesh it only takes a few minutes.

Of all the lazy *** lame excuses for not joining the AMA this one takes the cake.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:29 PM
rcmiket

So don't join...... Don't fly.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see why he would rather join over the phone. It is very hard for some people to type in all the data possibly! You should be able to join over the phone. No real reason no to be able too...really. The AMA problably wants you to do most the work. Also the ones that only fly 6 months a year, should be able to get AMA for 6 months. AMA has got to be more adaptable. Or membership will continue to fall. Capt,n
Old 05-19-2006, 07:24 AM
STLPilot

Perhaps they can still take the orders over the phone, then tell the future member that their membership does not go into effect until they return something back to them via fax, mail or web which states they've agreed to the terms.

But something like this would prolly have to be put in front of the Cocoon Club for approval and we all know how much forward thinkers the EC are.

Any type of choke hold to get someone into the AMA is the last thing this org needs. What would the actual cost of taking a phone order be? $1 or less?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Dr1Driver

Perhaps they can still take the orders over the phone, then tell the future member that their membership does not go into effect until they return something back to them via fax, mail or web which states they've agreed to the terms.

What would the actual cost of taking a phone order be?

The AMA, like most bureaucracies, is already bogged down in paperwork. Taking a membership application via phone, then waiting for the properly signed forms to be signed and returned, would only add to the confusion up in Muncie. It's not th ecost. They can't keep things straight up there now. Phone applications would only add to the mess.

Dr.1
Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

And some places don't take Personal Checks anymore.............. I'm not the biggest fan of the AMA but maintain my membership for the same reason. So just because they won't do it over the phone is no big deal or a lack of customer service in my book. You can fax in your info also.
Then hand the man 3 twenties ans ask for two bucks back.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 05-19-2006, 09:30 AM
STLPilot

The AMA, like most bureaucracies, is already bogged down in paperwork. Taking a membership application via phone, then waiting for the properly signed forms to be signed and returned, would only add to the confusion up in Muncie. It's not th ecost. They can't keep things straight up there now. Phone applications would only add to the mess.
There is no confusion involved. In any company I've owned or worked with, it's very simple. The exact same form which is filled out online, is done by someone behind a computer in Muncie. The data is transferred to the same server where the web form is pushed through too, without channeling the data through the web.

Basically there is no paperwork needed at all, unless something has to be mailed, or faxed in with signature, which will include just a routing number which will be matched with the form that will filled into the system by the clerk in Muncie to push the document as paid and signed for.

If the customer can sign digitally they will be given a transaction number and web link on the phone. They read the document, put in their transaction number and signature, this will tell the system that it's complete. When that is complete, the customer will get their card. This is all VERY basic database programming stuff. Obviously they all ready have it setup with the web form, just a couple, simple integration pieces to add.

So now we are back to cost. What will the physical cost be for the clerk(s) to fill out the form by hand. A good clerk can push about 15+ orders per hour which includes answering the basic questions.

Simplicity is the spice of life too.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:52 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Give me a break! Your profile says you have been flying for 7 years, have posted 877 times, it is 5/18 and you are just now getting around to getting AMA membership? For the first time? Renewals can be done by phone, first time you send in a form first. Wow what a hassle that is!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:02 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The less paperwork that the AMA needs to deal with, the better. Two out of three times I sent paperwork to Muncie, it was lost. Our club paperwork was lost for almost two years before we got it straitened out. If it wasn't for their phones and many calls between me and a lady named Kim, twenty of us would have never been members for 14 months. I don't know about lately, but their folks who manned the phones were really helpful.

This was right after their move to the grand palace and now things seem to be working pretty good. My address in their paper file still didn't match my address they had in the network so that held up my membership card this year. That was because I mailed my renewal this year wheras I used the internet that past three years to renew, so my card was sent to my old address. Send in your paperwork, call for a follow-up, and then use the on-line, or phone service from then on.

Scott
Old 05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

The title of this thread seems to be misleading...
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

This entire thread is...

To the OP, if you don't want to give out your email address, create another one (lots of providers offer free ones) and use it for places you don't want to give your personal one. Life is too short, why get all bent out of shape because the AMA won't take phone orders?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:13 AM
macr0t0r
My Feedback: (2)

Wow...a club is not worth joining unless it's as easy as buying a pizza, eh?
Come on, I know there are some complaints about AMA, but this is a pretty weak reason. I don't think it's even possible to purchase any insurance policy strictly by phone. Lots of email providers allow you to create "alias" email addresses, anyways.

It's not so bad, and it's a piece of cake to renew once you got it. Go ahead and scribble on some paper and get yourself into the program. It'll be worth it when you get to sign up for that first event!

- Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.