Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

August 2006 MA magazine

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

August 2006 MA magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default August 2006 MA magazine

Did I miss the post, or has anything been mentioned regarding the August issue of MA? Dave Brown, "Lightly" covered the horrible incident in Hungary, and Even the Internet forums (not specifically by name) was mentioned by Mr. Hunt. Looks as though we are noticed, even if we are not listened to. There is the over abundance of coverage of electric powered models, and the usual dearth of IC coverage (normal columns excepted). I noticed that there were several letters that brought the disparity of coverage between electric and IC to the attention of the magazine staff. That got no responses from the editorial staff.

Looks as though there is only lip service paid by the staff at Muncie, and it is still, Business as usual.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: August 2006 MA magazine

I think it's pretty clear that the "AMA" is catering to the electric crowd right now. Boy I wish we had an alternative. Bob
Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Quadrapowerforflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are just trying to stay in buisness. What does it matter? do you read the magaizine while flying at the same time?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Bob Laine

I don't read them at all...............
Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

disparity of coverage between electric and IC
Is there really that much new going on with IC power? True, the glow plug was invented in the late 40's, but I think most of us have a handle on it by now. Thank you Mr. Arden, where ever you might be.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Bob Laine

you can always tell the little bitty EC guy's by their post.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

disparity of coverage between electric and IC
Is there really that much new going on with IC power? True, the glow plug was invented in the late 40's, but I think most of us have a handle on it by now. Thank you Mr. Arden, where ever you might be.
To paraphroae your retort, Is there really anything going on with electric power that anyone should care about? The electric motor was invented well before the glow plug, but no one found it attractive then, and I don't now. So there.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Gasdaysaregone

They are just trying to stay in buisness. What does it matter? do you read the magaizine while flying at the same time?
Pretty nifty little handle there, Scooter. Maybe the gas days are gone for you, but not for those of us who can still afford the gassers. Sorry about your luck. Maybe next time. Then you can have fun with the big boys.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty nice coverage of the Vintage Stunt Contest. I don't think any electrics were flown, although there was one flown in Old Time Stunt last year.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Stickbuilder

Yeah, Jim, but how long since you've seen an Aires, or Thunderbird, or a Smoothie? They are roundy roundy types, and I quit fooling with them in the early 60's. Oh yeah, let's not forget the ringmaster's nobler's and the full Veco lineup, not to mention Berkley, Scientific, And the rest of the Ambroid lineup. Of course there was the full lineup of Navy Carrier from Martin and others. I was there, but the electric guys were not. They (gasdaysaregone and high plains) probably only fly ARF's too. (might as well flip start everybody)

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 08:42 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Good post. It's a shame you were flamed so harshly.

Pretty nifty little handle there, Scooter. Maybe the gas days are gone for you, but not for those of us who can still afford the gassers. Sorry about your luck. Maybe next time. Then you can have fun with the big boys.

Bill, AMA 4720
What does "afford" have to do with anything? Ever see a REAL electric?

http://www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm

Check out the top four vids. You might just be amazed.

50%
Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 PM
HighPlains

In the right application, electric power is far better suited to modeling than IC power. While I don't personally fly electric, I do find the technology interesting and the advances are happening at a quick pace. BTW, the inventor of 3 phase power generation and 3 phase motors was also the first RC'er. And what he build was powered by an electric motor.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

well said!

Bill, AMA 4720

http://www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm

Check out the top four vids, if you dare.

50%
Yeah Chris, I've seen a real electric. The darn things require too much extension cord for an airplane. You'd be better off flying control line.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Stickbuilder

And as to watching some stupid video about a battery powered airplane, I'd as soon watch paint dry, or watch a Ford rust. I just remembered... I used to have a battery powered airplane. It was made by Stanzell, and used 2 D size batteries. It would make 8' laps for a few minutes, then the batteries died, and it was useless.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Yeah, Jim, but how long since you've seen an Aires, or Thunderbird, or a Smoothie? They are roundy roundy types, and I quit fooling with them in the early 60's. Oh yeah, let's not forget the ringmaster's nobler's and the full Veco lineup, not to mention Berkley, Scientific, And the rest of the Ambroid lineup. Of course there was the full lineup of Navy Carrier from Martin and others. I was there, but the electric guys were not. They (gasdaysaregone and high plains) probably only fly ARF's too. (might as well flip start everybody)

Bill, AMA 4720
Those are some nice planes you mentioned there. However, electrics have really only come into a viable source of power in the last few years. Why do you feel you have to bash Gasdaysaregone and Highplains for supposedly flying ARFs? Do you feel threatened by the future?(good or bad)

50%
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

In the right application, electric power is far better suited to modeling than IC power. While I don't personally fly electric, I do find the technology interesting and the advances are happening at a quick pace. BTW, the inventor of 3 phase power generation and 3 phase motors was also the first RC'er. And what he build was powered by an electric motor.
Howzat again? I do believe that the Big Guff had an Internal Combustion engine, and the brother's Good did it.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720
Those are some nice planes you mentioned there. However, electrics have really only come into a viable source of power in the last few years. Why do you feel you have to bash Gasdaysaregone and Highplains for supposedly flying ARFs? Do you feel threatened by the future?(good or bad)

50%
If ARF's are all you can do, then there ain't much future left is there Chris?
Bill AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM
50%plane

Yeah Chris, I've seen a real electric. The darn things require too much extension cord for an airplane. You'd be better off flying control line.

Bill, AMA 4720
And as to watching some stupid video about a battery powered airplane, I'd as soon watch paint dry, or watch a Ford rust. I just remembered... I used to have a battery powered airplane. It was made by Stanzell, and used 2 D size batteries. It would make 8' laps for a few minutes, then the batteries died, and it was useless.

Bill, AMA 4720
Hmm, you might actually think differently after watching these vids. I don't care if you change your opinion about electrics or not, you are obviously uninformed and I'm trying to help you understand modern E power.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 PM
50%plane

If ARF's are all you can do, then there ain't much future left is there Chris?
Bill AMA 4720
I agree, I agree, but not all ARF'ers are lazy. As you know, I'm not an ARF pilot at this time(I do own rekitted ARF's), however, I will probably have to resort to buying ARF's in the near future while my heart is still in building.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 PM
the-plumber

Like [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezonemag/2004/jun/seff/Mac's%20B-29%20flight.wmv] this [/link]?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Bill, AMA 4720

Bill, AMA 4720

Hmm, you might actually think differently after watching these vids. I don't care if you change your opinion about electrics or not, you are obviously uninformed and I'm trying to help you understand modern E power.
Chris,

Actually, not. I am as informed as the next guy. I don't think that your so called, "Modern, E-Power" is worth all the effort. If they get the expense down, and the reliability up, the table may turn. I have seen too many problems with the Battery packs, and the motors themselves to have an interest in that aspect of this hobby. I just have no interest in that part of this hobby. I do not have any interest in flying a model that someone else built as well. Mark me down as old fashioned, but just remember; I can build them. I do build them. They fly just fine, and they have been flying just fine for more years than you have been alive. I do have an R/C model with the original engine that has been flying for over 30 years. That is longer than you have been around. Show me an electric R/C plane that has been around that long and is still flyable. In fact show me an ARF that old period.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 PM
HighPlains

Stickbuilder - Cranky old fart aren't you? Didn't you get your fiber today? "cause you're full of it. I've built models for more years than 95% of the people on this board, maybe even as long as you.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Stickbuilder

I doubt it. I've been at this since 1949.

Bill, AMa 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 PM
HighPlains

You got me by 10 years, my first flight was in '59.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 PM
50%plane

I do have an R/C model with the original engine that has been flying for over 30 years. That is longer than you have been around. Show me an electric R/C plane that has been around that long and is still flyable. In fact show me an ARF that old period.
Wow! do you ever read MA??? DB Matthews wrote on that for a while. The Dennyplane was an ARF.

I don't think that your so called, "Modern, E-Power" is worth all the effort. If they get the expense down, and the reliability up, the table may turn. I have seen too many problems with the Battery packs......
The reliability is up to the same level(or higher) as gas. The price is coming down and is now viable for all types of models. There have been problems with batteries, but IMO, that's mainly with the user and not the batteries themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.