Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

$58 too much?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

$58 too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 12:46 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $58 too much?

Well, you know what I have noticed? ANY amount is too much, for certain guys. It would not matter if it was $10, they would STILL whine. Every club has one or two of these guys. The guys who don't put into the donation cup for the donuts...the guys who sneak in to the swap meet through the side door to avoid the $5 entrance donation...you know who I mean.
For some guys, ANY amount is too much.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

Default Too many fee hike threads!

EOM
Old 01-08-2003, 01:41 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Default $58 too much?

What's "EOM"?
Old 01-08-2003, 01:57 PM
fliers1

Default $58 too much?

Last year, Dave Brown said that AMA might not even get a premium quote from its insurance carrier. I wonder when/if said quote will be announced?

Although I wouldn't hesitate to pay it, wonder what would happen if AMA HAD NO LEGITIMATE CHOICE but to raise dues to $100?

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 01-08-2003, 04:27 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default $58 too much?

To me it's not the money...it is how it is used. Whether the dues were $20 or $200 a year I couldn't care less (ok...I'm in the business now so I can write it off but still...).

I'll make some bold statements here. Again strictly my opinion. Some will totally agree and others will strongly disagree.

If I had to run the AMA show I would make some changes to clean house.

First, there are certain individuals that should no longer be in the AMA as they are not serving the true needs of the members. I won't name who they are but I will be gunning for them over the years to inform the AMA members what they have done, why it was not a good thing and who they can vote for to replace them.

Second, (sit down!) I would sell off the AMA building and property. It is used by less than 1% off the AMA population each year which is not serving the needs of the majority. It costs the other 99% lots of money and it should be gone. Sell it off along with the land. Move the administrative staff into an office park or office building somewhere and save a ton of money each year. Use the proceeds from the sale to invest properly and build the coffers of the AMA up. 10 million a year at 5% throws off 500 grand tax free for a non profit org. That alone would pay for all office expenses and then some plus leave a pile of reserve cash.

Where do we have the AMA events if Muncie site is gone? Rent out an airport or giant field somewhere in the country. Who cares....there are plenty of places to hold these events without the need for the giant bill associated with carrying muncie and it's new building. For the 99% of members who don't use it, never will and will never go there it is a joke.

Third, put items out to bid. AMA has recently been following a disturbing trend of not putting items out for bid. I don't believe they bid their insurance quote out to anyone and they didn't bid other things out either. Go figure.

Fourth, re-evaluate the administrative staff to see if they are overstaffed or not. In old organizations they tend not to run lean and mean...just a guess that the AMA might be this way but sending in an efficiency expert would tell the tale just how overstaffed they are and where they could computerize tasks or outsource perhaps to save a ton of money.

Fifth, I would cut the "magazine" down to quarterly. If what people tell me is true nobody really reads it. Yes there are some who do and enjoy it but I think more of the membership rather than less does not. They also would not mind if it only came 4 times a year or had the option to get it online to save costs...I would, if at the very least...put the magazine completely online and let members opt out of the mailing of it. No more printing costs or mailing costs...this is the information age...get out of the stoneage and use it today! Why is it 2003 and they still have not done this? I like results not excuses.

That's it for now...I could go on but those are some controversial issues that I'm sure will please many and ruffle the feathers of some. Remember...just one mans opinion here on all this stuff. If you did all I said above I'm sure you could cut the dues down perhaps by 1/3 to 1/2 or more...who knows. Not that $58 is alot but I'm sure most would be concerned how it is spent.

I'll use an extreme example (fictitious of course) to illustrate: if Dave Brown flew on an AMA corporate jet to get from A to B for $8000 per flight on OUR dime versus $8000 going out to an insurance claim. I'm sure we would care less about the $8000 if it were being used for the claim but we don't want to pay 8 grand for dave to fly in a chartered corporate jet to go to a meeting or a meet of some kind.

Remember...it's funny what we can get used to and "think" is normal...
Old 01-08-2003, 04:38 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $58 too much?

Marc, I like your thoughts.

If the SECONDARY insurance caused the dues to go up to $100.00, then the SECONDARY insurance should be dropped from the package.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:14 PM
J_R

Default $58 too much?

Originally posted by TopShelf
Marc, I like your thoughts.

If the SECONDARY insurance caused the dues to go up to $100.00, then the SECONDARY insurance should be dropped from the package.
If you drop the insurance package, who is going to supply the primary insurance for the club and the landlord? I don't recall anyone anywhere claiming that the secondary coverage was the driving force for the dues increase. And where did you get the $100 figure???????

JR
Old 01-08-2003, 05:27 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Default $58 too much?

I just pulled the random $100 from fliers1 post.

Obviously the primary insurance for the land lord & club must be maintained or else we would not be able to fly.

I did not indend to imply that the secondary insurance was the driving force of the increase.

I quess the point I was trying to make is that the secondary individual insurance is not that significant of a benefit in most cases and IF it was driving the cost up, I would hapily have it dropped.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:34 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default $58 too much?

With the proceeds from the sale the AMA could even self insure. Right now their deductible is $250,000 anyway...only the "big claims" are covered by the insurance company. They pay all claims up to 250 grand and cover all attorney fees. The insurance premium they pay each year for the whoppers I believe is under a million...I think it was $500,000...go figure when they take in 8-9 million in member fees...

Look at the SGA on the AMA building...there are some things that don't add up or need to be itemized to understand...either way...lop it off and sell it as I said. If 99% people pay for something they don't use it's a waste. Also the bulk of the members do not compete and their PRIMARY interest is insurance only. But because of this Microsoft type bundling they are forced to pay for all kinds of goods and services they don't want.

I posted more in the other thread on this...trying to keep it in one thread now
Old 01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
J_R

Default $58 too much?

Originally posted by RCadmin
< SNIP>

I posted more in the other thread on this...trying to keep it in one thread now
That's a good idea. This is going to be like eating a cow. You have to approach it one bite at a time. Which thread is your choice of a battleground?

JR
Old 01-08-2003, 05:50 PM
J_R

Default $58 too much?

I just pulled the random $100 from fliers1 post.

Obviously the primary insurance for the land lord & club must be maintained or else we would not be able to fly.

I did not intend to imply that the secondary insurance was the driving force of the increase.

I quess the point I was trying to make is that the secondary individual insurance is not that significant of a benefit in most cases and IF it was driving the cost up, I would hapily have it dropped.
I am not trying to pick on you. Here are some things for your consideration.

For those members that do not have homeowners or renters insurance, the coverage is primary. That protects YOU from them, and them from each other.

The major cost of the insurance policy is the primary coverage that it provides to the club and the landlord. The AMA charges less than $100 for that coverage. It is obvious that the amount is subsidized by the dues of the membership.

The commercial policy in 2002 will cost about $550,000 or about $4 for adult member. How much do you think you could save by eliminating only the secondary coverage? I don't know the answer, but, I would guess it would be pennies per member.

Your IF is the key. I don't believe the secondary coverage is of any consequence in the scheme of the dues increase.

JR
Old 01-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

Default $58 too much?

I

Before the AMA got into the insurance business clubs got insurance through commercial underwriters. Unfortunately some did not get insurance and got sued out of existance. As I recall it the AMA got into insurance to lower costs by putting all club sites under one package. I'm sure it saved money initially but not sure about it anymore.

EOM = End Of Message.

This thread should be under tha AMA topic!
Old 01-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $58 too much?

Originally posted by Sport_Pilot

Before the AMA got into the insurance business clubs got insurance through commercial underwriters. Unfortunately some did not get insurance and got sued out of existance. As I recall it the AMA got into insurance to lower costs by putting all club sites under one package. I'm sure it saved money initially but not sure about it anymore.

EOM = End Of Message.

This thread should be under tha AMA topic!
I am fairly sure it does still save a bundle of $ by having one large (and cumbersome) policy rather than expecting all clubs to keep up with their own.

However, I am also sure that the insurance costs have been the smoke of the fire about the income from dues.

As for selling of the Muncie site, that is probably not going to happen as it appears we may be married to it until some bonds are paid off. Even if we sold the excess land (that not used for the building and it's parking lot), I doubt we would recover what has already been invested in improvements only the AMA could use.

In other words, I think we are tied to that land and structure for some time. The real question is how can we cut our expenses and prevent any future empire and monument building.

P.S. This is a fine thread! It addresses the root of all evil, the high dues!
Old 01-08-2003, 06:56 PM
rcmodelr

Default $58 too much?

No, BY ITSELF, $58 is NOT too much... BUT... COMBINE the $58 to AMA ALONG WITH the local club dues, and it's WAY OVERPRICED!!!

Especially if you're like me... 2 jobs, club flying site ONLY available for R/C use weekends & legal holidays, and my job schedules allow me MAYBE 2 or 3 chances to go out and fly throughout an ENTIRE YEAR.

Let's see now... AMA $58, local club $30 = $88.
If I'd have renewed AMA this past year, I'd have had time TWICE to go out & fly.... SO

$88 for insurance & club dues, break it up by how often I could take advantage of it.... $44 PER CHANCE to fly, and that DOESN'T EVEN START to pay for the fuel needed to run the model's engine for the 5 or 6 flights I MIGHT be able to get between the other club member's flying.

YES!!! At least for me, $58 is WAY TOO MUCH to be able to spend on ANY association membership.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:11 PM
J_R

Default $58 too much?

Originally posted by rcmodelr
No, BY ITSELF, $58 is NOT too much... BUT... COMBINE the $58 to AMA ALONG WITH the local club dues, and it's WAY OVERPRICED!!!

Especially if you're like me... 2 jobs, club flying site ONLY available for R/C use weekends & legal holidays, and my job schedules allow me MAYBE 2 or 3 chances to go out and fly throughout an ENTIRE YEAR.

Let's see now... AMA $58, local club $30 = $88.
If I'd have renewed AMA this past year, I'd have had time TWICE to go out & fly.... SO

$88 for insurance & club dues, break it up by how often I could take advantage of it.... $44 PER CHANCE to fly, and that DOESN'T EVEN START to pay for the fuel needed to run the model's engine for the 5 or 6 flights I MIGHT be able to get between the other club member's flying.

YES!!! At least for me, $58 is WAY TOO MUCH to be able to spend on ANY association membership.
There is an alternative. One of the local clubs does not force you to be a member. It does require AMA membership because of the dues. Of course, there is a catch. The club charges $10/day for non-members to fly there. Personally, I am gald we, as a group, are not set up like golf courses or bowling alleys, where you pay each time you play.

JR
Old 01-08-2003, 07:32 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Default $58 too much?

To me it's not the money...it is how it is used. Whether the dues were $20 or $200 a year I couldn't care less (ok...I'm in the business now so I can write it off but still...).

I'll make some bold statements here. Again strictly my opinion. Some will totally agree and others will strongly disagree.

If I had to run the AMA show I would make some changes to clean house.

First, there are certain individuals that should no longer be in the AMA as they are not serving the true needs of the members. I won't name who they are but I will be gunning for them over the years to inform the AMA members what they have done, why it was not a good thing and who they can vote for to replace them.

Second, (sit down!) I would sell off the AMA building and property. It is used by less than 1% off the AMA population each year which is not serving the needs of the majority. It costs the other 99% lots of money and it should be gone. Sell it off along with the land. Move the administrative staff into an office park or office building somewhere and save a ton of money each year. Use the proceeds from the sale to invest properly and build the coffers of the AMA up. 10 million a year at 5% throws off 500 grand tax free for a non profit org. That alone would pay for all office expenses and then some plus leave a pile of reserve cash.

Where do we have the AMA events if Muncie site is gone? Rent out an airport or giant field somewhere in the country. Who cares....there are plenty of places to hold these events without the need for the giant bill associated with carrying muncie and it's new building. For the 99% of members who don't use it, never will and will never go there it is a joke.

Third, put items out to bid. AMA has recently been following a disturbing trend of not putting items out for bid. I don't believe they bid their insurance quote out to anyone and they didn't bid other things out either. Go figure.

Fourth, re-evaluate the administrative staff to see if they are overstaffed or not. In old organizations they tend not to run lean and mean...just a guess that the AMA might be this way but sending in an efficiency expert would tell the tale just how overstaffed they are and where they could computerize tasks or outsource perhaps to save a ton of money.

Fifth, I would cut the "magazine" down to quarterly. If what people tell me is true nobody really reads it. Yes there are some who do and enjoy it but I think more of the membership rather than less does not. They also would not mind if it only came 4 times a year or had the option to get it online to save costs...I would, if at the very least...put the magazine completely online and let members opt out of the mailing of it. No more printing costs or mailing costs...this is the information age...get out of the stoneage and use it today! Why is it 2003 and they still have not done this? I like results not excuses.

That's it for now...I could go on but those are some controversial issues that I'm sure will please many and ruffle the feathers of some. Remember...just one mans opinion here on all this stuff. If you did all I said above I'm sure you could cut the dues down perhaps by 1/3 to 1/2 or more...who knows. Not that $58 is alot but I'm sure most would be concerned how it is spent.

I'll use an extreme example (fictitious of course) to illustrate: if Dave Brown flew on an AMA corporate jet to get from A to B for $8000 per flight on OUR dime versus $8000 going out to an insurance claim. I'm sure we would care less about the $8000 if it were being used for the claim but we don't want to pay 8 grand for dave to fly in a chartered corporate jet to go to a meeting or a meet of some kind.

Remember...it's funny what we can get used to and "think" is normal...
I like your "one mans" opinion, make it "two mans". I agree it's not the idea that $58 is or is not a lot of money . It is the fact that I feel like it is being P*ssed away.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:01 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Default $58 too much?

A thought!

Instead of investing in the stock Market. Why not invest in real estate. Particulaly open space. Establish flying fields around the US. Lease surrouding property to crop farmers to cover taxes and some of the mortgage cost. Local clubs that use the fields be responsible for maintinance. One in each district overseen by the District VP's and AVP's

Then the Nats could easily be hosted around the US and it would reduce our exposure in the stock market.

If civilization crowds us they can sell an move further into the country making an tidy profit in the sale.

Yes? No?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Crashem

Default $58 too much?

rsallen13,

I like that Idea
Old 01-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Jim Branaum

Default $58 too much?

Originally posted by rsallen13
A thought!

Instead of investing in the stock Market. Why not invest in real estate. Particulaly open space. Establish flying fields around the US. Lease surrouding property to crop farmers to cover taxes and some of the mortgage cost. Local clubs that use the fields be responsible for maintinance. One in each district overseen by the District VP's and AVP's

Then the Nats could easily be hosted around the US and it would reduce our exposure in the stock market.

If civilization crowds us they can sell an move further into the country making an tidy profit in the sale.

Yes? No?
That is a good idea as long as we can work out some of the 'logistics' of managing the sites. Each site will need SOMEONE to assure that non-AMA members do not use it and each site will need some specific location safety rules. What do we (AMA) do when there are only 15 modelers around? Who mows the grass? Wanna bet?

I still like the idea.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default $58 too much?

You can loose money in realestate faster than stocks if not done right. I have seen people buy land for ton, and sell it for nothing, and vice versa. Same with stocks.

I really like Marcs ideas. I too have been saying we don't need to fund all that expensive property back east. It is a huge drain. Most are in AMA for the insurance, and everything else is masked in the cost. Lets put Marc up to running for AMA pres. He sounds like he has his head on straight. I think he has some good ideas.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:21 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Default $58 too much?

Originally posted by Jim Branaum

That is a good idea as long as we can work out some of the 'logistics' of managing the sites. Each site will need SOMEONE to assure that non-AMA members do not use it and each site will need some specific location safety rules. What do we (AMA) do when there are only 15 modelers around? Who mows the grass? Wanna bet?

I still like the idea.

A club or clubs would be formed at each venue to ensure that they are kept up and managed. Depending on the size of the location you could have a FF club, Circle Burner Club, Helicopter club, a RC Airplane Club and a Rocket Club all in the same facility.

Each club president would be on the field committee along with the District VP or AVP. Committee leadership would rotate on an annual basis with each club. Final over site would be the responsibly of the District VP and his/her AVP's.

The choice of locations would need to be in areas of the district with a population that could support such a facility.

Additionally, when choosing one of the 10 new sites(we already have one in Dist VI - Muncie) we would need to review the long term viability of the site with the goal of a return on our investment in 15 to 20 yrs when the population encroaches on the field. And in the event there was encroachment we would stand on better footing as a location own and managed by a National Organization.

AMA would then have 11 location throughout the US where people can learn and to help promoting the hobby. Heck we could even sell the naming rights to a manufacturer to raise more money! (JR Field, Futaba Field, Horizon Field, Tower Field, etc)

SIG's could be charged a fee to run events through out the year. I know that IMAA use to give out $500.00 to a club to run a district fest. They are talking of dropping it would pay the AMA Sactioning fee instead. I know a lot of SIG's would jump at the chance to use a premier facility for IMAC, Soaring, FF and Sam competitions throughout the year, even at an nominal fee.

But alas I am but one voice
Old 01-08-2003, 09:33 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Default $58 too much?

Impressive thinking Marc!
You got my vote!!

Todd
Old 01-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Jim Branaum

Default $58 too much?

Originally posted by rsallen13

A club or clubs would be formed at each venue to ensure that they are kept up and managed. Depending on the size of the location you could have a FF club, Circle Burner Club, Helicopter club, a RC Airplane Club and a Rocket Club all in the same facility.

Each club president would be on the field committee along with the District VP or AVP. Committee leadership would rotate on an annual basis with each club. Final over site would be the responsibly of the District VP and his/her AVP's.

The choice of locations would need to be in areas of the district with a population that could support such a facility.

Additionally, when choosing one of the 10 new sites(we already have one in Dist VI - Muncie) we would need to review the long term viability of the site with the goal of a return on our investment in 15 to 20 yrs when the population encroaches on the field. And in the event there was encroachment we would stand on better footing as a location own and managed by a National Organization.

AMA would then have 11 location throughout the US where people can learn and to help promoting the hobby. Heck we could even sell the naming rights to a manufacturer to raise more money! (JR Field, Futaba Field, Horizon Field, Tower Field, etc)

SIG's could be charged a fee to run events through out the year. I know that IMAA use to give out $500.00 to a club to run a district fest. They are talking of dropping it would pay the AMA Sactioning fee instead. I know a lot of SIG's would jump at the chance to use a premier facility for IMAC, Soaring, FF and Sam competitions throughout the year, even at an nominal fee.

But alas I am but one voice
But it is a reasonable voice! The only thing I would add has to do with who pays for what expenses.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:04 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default $58 too much?

Why do I have the feeling I'm going to be the Jesse Ventura of the AMA? I'd love to support someone who has the same thinking as me and who isn't afraid to run for president and bring a bunch of guys with him to run for VP slots to make some sweeping changes. You must forget old school thinking and come into this millenium. Poor decisions have caused unecessary dues in the past and now to be passed on to the members and resources which could have been placed where we need them like saving our flying fields instead of worrying about an expensive building and flying site that a handful of members will ever use or even see.

This is certainly going to be like any political race...there will be those who believe one side and others that believe in something else...neither is wrong but both have opinions which is fine...I just think 90% will think more in line with my proposals and if so they can vote for the person who is going to support those ideas and we will make it a reality. If the majority don't believe it then the votes won't go that way and the majority rule...democracy at it's finest...
Old 01-09-2003, 01:47 AM
J_R

Default $58 too much?

Why do I have the feeling I'm going to be the Jesse Ventura of the AMA?
Unfortunately, more like Julian Bond the first time he got the Presidential nomination.

JR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.