Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

If I buy a gun, I don't have to join the NRA to shoot it

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

If I buy a gun, I don't have to join the NRA to shoot it

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 04:13 PM
model.flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If I buy a gun, I don't have to join the NRA to shoot it

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

still torn on which trainer to get... whats a good trainer
STLPilot and KidEpoxy would make terrible trainers as they have bad behavioral characteristics.

You might want to consider PTUlmer, 50+AirYears or Phaderus-MMVI as good trainers in the art of posting in this forum as they tend to stay on topic and stick to the facts, and occasionally exhibit a sense of humor.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

still torn on which trainer to get... whats a good trainer
A good trainer is one that keeps him/herself in great shape and projects a good personality. If I could have any trainer I wanted, Cameron Diaz would be on my short list. Bet I could shed this holiday belly lard in no time under her .........training.

Abel
Old 01-05-2007, 10:53 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it that all a lot of people on this forum want to do is piss and moan about the AMA? If you don't like it don't join and go fly in a hayfield somewhere! I'll now return to the 1/2a forum where we have fun!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 AM
tomr

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

The AMA does differ from most insurance companies or magazine companies in that your subscription ends Dec. 31 regardless of when you paid them. ANd that does surprise many people the first year.

But just imagine the logistics of trying to run a local club if everyones' AMA membership was ending on different dates. It would be a nightmare to keep up with.

I do not know what logistical glich mandates that the AMA charge full price for someone joining in September. Perhaps someone else knows.
With computers doing it the logistics are not a problem, just keep a list on Excel sorted by date, Check it once a month, not a problem.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
model.flyer

Sounds like you want to run for club office.

When you decide that some club member is no longer an AMA member and refuse to let him fly, then find out he renewed yesterday as he is telling you, but has no proof, you deal with his wrath, and just maybe with a lawsuit against you and the club.

Clubs have a hard enough time finding people that are willing to serve as club officers without this kind of problem.

ORIGINAL: tomr

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

The AMA does differ from most insurance companies or magazine companies in that your subscription ends Dec. 31 regardless of when you paid them. ANd that does surprise many people the first year.

But just imagine the logistics of trying to run a local club if everyones' AMA membership was ending on different dates. It would be a nightmare to keep up with.

I do not know what logistical glich mandates that the AMA charge full price for someone joining in September. Perhaps someone else knows.
With computers doing it the logistics are not a problem, just keep a list on Excel sorted by date, Check it once a month, not a problem.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:24 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: tomr

Tom-

Don't apply logical reason in discussion of this issue. While AMA could save money by spreading renewals over the year to level the HQ staff workload, and members would get a year's worth of benefits for their annual dues regardless of when they joined, the overriding issue is the workload on the poor overburdened club secretary. And after all, he is responsible for the most important function of any AMA club officer, which is to ensure that nobody flies without having AMA secondary liability insurance.

Just imagine if you couldn't verify your neighbor's HO insurance coverage because the block captain couldn't keep up with the workload of tracking their payment history. Or that of the guy next to you on the freeway driving a rolling wreck worth far less than a month's worth of state mandated minimum liability coverage.

Could you sleep at night not knowing that the neighbor, or the other driver, or the guy flying next to you hasn't had his liability insurance verified because somebody was overworked and so let it slip through the cracks? Or that the poor overburdened club secretary went looney due to being overworked, or went blind from reading Excel spreadsheets? For shame.

Abel
Old 01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Abel, I don't know if that's the official workload of a secretary or not, but in our club the president is the one that does most of the checking. Now, if we went to a non-calender year membership, much more would have to change. Dates would have to be tracked whether in excel or some other brand. Does the club provide a pc and software? Does the AMA send reports to them? What changes for the better? Now you can renew every spring instead of winter? Doesn't seem to pass the cost/benefit ratio. Just an opinion, take it for what it's worth. Of all the things I'd like to see changed, this doesn't even make the list.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:40 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Abel, I don't know if that's the official workload of a secretary or not, but in our club the president is the one that does most of the checking. Now, if we went to a non-calender year membership, much more would have to change. Dates would have to be tracked whether in excel or some other brand. Does the club provide a pc and software? Does the AMA send reports to them? What changes for the better? Now you can renew every spring instead of winter? Doesn't seem to pass the cost/benefit ratio. Just an opinion, take it for what it's worth. Of all the things I'd like to see changed, this doesn't even make the list.
Back when our club was a club rather than a senior citizens day care operation run by board of mommies, I did a stint as treasurer. It was part of the treasurer's job to eyeball the club members' new AMA cards or photocopies of same when they paid their dues to re-up for the coming year. Would it have caused me any heartburn if I had to do that given that they each re-upped during the month they joined the club (and/or AMA) rather than all at once? Great big hairy deal. Further, did I really give a small rodent's hiney about 'verifying' what people I trust represent to me as true? I trust them not to endanger me and others by flying drunk or stoned without testing them, so why wouldn't I trust them regarding a matter of little importance to me but great importance to them, i.e., that that have insurance to protect themselves from fiscal ruin if a liability situation should occur.
The big deal really boils down to ensuring that AMA collects tribute from anybody that would fly at an AMA chartered club field. That's the only reason I know of that the AMA members-only policy exists. It could easily go away if AMA insurance costs for clubs were collected entirely from the clubs, rather than being subsidized by individual AMA members, whether or not they belong to clubs. And way back when, the reason AMA got into the insurance business was to assist modelers in obtaining flying sites by offering protection to property owners from liability that might arise from operations of clubs allowed the use of their property. Whatever motivated AMA to get into the business of personal liability insurance is a mystery to me, but I would speculate that it has more to do with putting up AMA toll gates at chartered club sites than it does with a sense of duty to protect members fiscal welfare whether they need/want it or not.

Abel
Old 01-06-2007, 06:53 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

A decent database at AMA Hq would allow any club officer, or anyone, to confirm a member's current status 24/7. And the member could print his proof of membership any time they wanted. And the database could notify the Club contact when the membership was going to expire. And any lawsuits would be directed to AMA Hq. And we would all fly happily ever after!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Silent-AV8R

In fact that can be done now

Just type in the name and AMA number to confirm

http://www.modelaircraft.org/MembershipQuery.aspx
Old 01-06-2007, 09:14 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

so why wouldn't I trust them regarding a matter of little importance to me but great importance to them, i.e., that that have insurance to protect themselves from fiscal ruin if a liability situation should occur.
See how much you trust them when they have to open their wallet when they destroy something due to an accident. It's much different when they shoot your plane down or middair.

The big deal really boils down to ensuring that AMA collects tribute from anybody that would fly at an AMA chartered club field. That's the only reason I know of that the AMA members-only policy exists.
The AMA allows multiple charters at flying sites and there are many sites that have this in place.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:41 PM
abel_pranger

AFAIK, AMA insurance doesn't cover losses due to shootdowns (except at sanctioned events where a Tx impound is in place) or midairs.

Keep pumping that scattergun, maybe you'll hit something, someday.

Abel
Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 PM
teookie

Well gentlemen (and ladies?), it's been fun stirring you up. I guess no one caught my reference to Monty Python? -sigh-

See you again in six months when I get bored enough to read this forum again!!

Out...
Old 01-06-2007, 10:28 PM
ptulmer

Abel, my experience is limited to our club. I've been flying for five years, so haven't seen clubs come and go yet. Our agreement with the city stipulates everyone has to be members and our club chartered. And still there are a few that will show up and stick their drivers license on the board! I hate to do it, but have asked people to land. I figure if they're a big enough butthead to risk our site, I'm a big enough butthead to ask them to not fly. Using the clips at the board is a courtesy at our club, so sometimes the pres will go ask someone to see their card. You already know up front who you have to watch out for. They should have to wear their "I'm stupid" signs everywhere.

BTW, I agree 100% with your last speculation. Dead on the money, I'd say.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:49 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Abel, my experience is limited to our club. I've been flying for five years, so haven't seen clubs come and go yet. Our agreement with the city stipulates everyone has to be members and our club chartered. And still there are a few that will show up and stick their drivers license on the board! I hate to do it, but have asked people to land. I figure if they're a big enough butthead to risk our site, I'm a big enough butthead to ask them to not fly. Using the clips at the board is a courtesy at our club, so sometimes the pres will go ask someone to see their card. You already know up front who you have to watch out for. They should have to wear their "I'm stupid" signs everywhere.

BTW, I agree 100% with your last speculation. Dead on the money, I'd say.
Patrick (hope I remembered that right)-

Have to admit there's always a DH, but it disgusts me to see them allowed to rule.

As you say, you already know who you have to watch out for. So if there is a need to be AMA's cop to protect your site, it seems to me more sensible to act against the DH, not to question your trusted friends. Grab the guy's DL from the board and mail it to the DMV (or SPCA, PRC, whatever). Depends on your demeanor, which I sense as calm and rational. I can get more rash and impulsive if I feel it's justifiable, so I'm not saying do as I would do (yeah, I'd prolly grab the guy's DL and make it evaporate, if not the first time, then by the second) - but maybe there is some middling position that is still appropriately directed. Think about it - I don't have a good answer to this one.

Abel
Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 PM
ptulmer

Yep, I respond to "Patrick" or "good lookin' " if it's said in a feminine voice.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the AMA should spread the renewal over the the entire year and save
money after all they issue cards that could be checked to see if someone is
a member. I dont really see a need for the club to always have to verfy if
someone is a member when they have a card to show.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger
AFAIK, AMA insurance doesn't cover losses due to shootdowns (except at sanctioned events where a Tx impound is in place) or midairs.
Thno ks, but that was the point. Your friend whom you trust so much may pay you out of pocket when he shot down your plane or middair'd you but you think he's going to pay you if something he did not do caused his plane to fly into your car or your body? This is where the AMA comes in handy.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger
Thno ks, but that was the point. Your friend whom you trust so much may pay you out of pocket when he shot down your plane or middair'd you but you think he's going to pay you if something he did not do caused his plane to fly into your car or your body? This is where the AMA comes in handy.
Hmmm...Does you health care or auto policies exclude damages caused by RC model aircraft? If so you should take up another pastime or insurer.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I went flying today... a bit cold, but really good to get out and fly
Old 01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
darowden

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

If you buy a gun, you have to join a gun club in most places to have a place to shoot. Most gun clubs require NRA membership.

Wrong Answer, friend.

Please don't confuse the draconian anti-gun communist NY laws with the rest of the free states that still exist in the USA. In Texas, gun ownership and gun range membership are not mutually required. Gun clubs and range use are COMPLETELY optional. Being a law abiding citizen with no felony convictions residing in the state of Texas, I can own 10,000 guns if I wish. This includes assault rifles, handguns, and even Machineguns and Destructive devices (yes I own some NFA firearms with their respective BATF approved tax stamps). I have a state awarded CHL and exercise this privilege 24/7/365 unless I am naked or sleeping. It is very difficult for citizens to do these things in New York because your state legislature has decided that Adults in your state are not responsible enough to own these types of firearms wihtout the restrictions you speak of, and yet the people of NY continue to elect these individuals.

Gun ownership/ required NRA membership a very poor comparison to RC flying/required AMA membership unless you are talking about a very small, restrictive part of the country, in places where I would never live.

When NY collectively decides to elect politicians who respect your second ammendment rights, perhaps you too can own a firearm without compulsory gun club membership.

NO Gun ranges in my area ( there are about 12 within 150 miles) require NRA membership. You can join for benefits, but you don't have to in order to own or shoot. I support the NRA and TSRA with my dollars, but only because I want to, not because I am required to in order to shoot or own firearms.

Someday I may support the AMA with my dollars as well if they ever wake up and start supporting electric heli flyers, electric park flyers and VR/AP flyers the way they cater to their big balsa glow powered bretheren.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Sport_Pilot

Please don't confuse the draconian anti-gun communist NY laws with the rest of the free states that still exist in the USA. In Texas, gun ownership and gun range membership are not mutually required. Gun clubs and range use are COMPLETELY optional. Being a law abiding citizen with no felony convicitons residing in Texas, I can own 10,000 guns if I wish, including assault rifles, pistols, and even Machineguns and Destructive devices (yes I own some NFA firearms with their respective BATF approved tax stamps). You cannot do this in New York because your State legislature has decided that Adults in your state are not responsible enough to own these types of firearms and yet the people of NY continue to elect these individuals.
In most states in the east it is legal to own a gun, but illegal to use them anywhere in the city except indoor ranges. In the country it is usually illegal to fire a gun on someone elses property without permission. Where I live I would have to go to an indoor range, travel over a hundred miles, or go out to the country and go door to door to ask. I doubt you can legally fire a gun anywhere you want in many areas of Texas.

The comercial ranges are expensive and only for pistols or .22. The clubs require membership.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:50 PM
darowden

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I doubt you can legally fire a gun anywhere you want in many areas of Texas.

The comercial ranges are expensive and only for pistols or .22. The clubs require membership.
Doubt all you want, but the places I can legally shoot are plentiful.

I feel sorry for you. Outdoor public ranges are very common here. I go to magnum sports in Sanger, Texas. I pay $10 for all day. I can shoot .22 to .50, there are no restrictions on caliber or munitions. FMJ, JHP, SP, whatever I please. I can shoot machineguns, SBRs and AOWs all day long as long as I show my BATF tax stamp if asked. I can carry my sidearm on my hip while on the range. I sign a release form, and I'm done with the requirements.

It is legal to shoot your firearm on private land anywhere outside of the city limits if you can do so without disturbing the peace, and without endangering anyone. All it takes is 10 acres in a rural area and a backstop to fulfill these requirements.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: darowden
Someday I may support the AMA with my dollars as well if they ever wake up and start supporting electric heli flyers, electric park flyers and VR/AP flyers the way they cater to their big balsa glow powered bretheren.
Time to sign up! That's the majority of what you read about in Model Aviation. The construction article this month is yet another electric park flyer. Seems like I read about another electric heli in there somewhere, too. I don't fly heli's, so those articles don't hold my interest for long. You'll never know what's up unless you join, anyway. They don't send the magazine to non-members, and that's the only real means of communication they have at the moment.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

It is legal to shoot your firearm on private land anywhere outside of the city limits if you can do so without disturbing the peace, and without endangering anyone. All it takes is 10 acres in a rural area and a backstop to fulfill these requirements.
You also need the land owners permission, I don't know anybody in a rural area, which is not far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.