Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

CROSS COUNTRY FLYING

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

CROSS COUNTRY FLYING

Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CROSS COUNTRY FLYING

If a person wanted to do a FUN Cross Country Flight, from a local AMA flying field to another AMA local flying field using the back roads to get from point A to point B, approximately 40 miles.

What types of RED tape would a person go through.

We have done smaller Cross Country Flights beflore, a OUT and BACK consisting of 6 miles (12 total) etc.........in the back of a pickup truck, etc...........

Both fields are aware of us doing this.

Plus, now that we have 2.4 radio technology, should be no problems there.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:43 PM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Cross Country Flying

Hi Roger,

I like the Idea of a 40 mile cross country and know none of the possible red tape a person could encounter in such a situation.

I do have a question concerning the 2.4 gig radio in that condition. Is it possible that arriving at the other flying field that some other person with 2.4 there could be on the exact frequency you started out with?

Just a question I think should be thought about.

2.4 checks if another 2.4 is in operation at the same location, but I think not at a field 40 miles away.

Thank,

John Watson
Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
ROGER RUSSELL

John:

Thanks for the reply.

That is a concern no matter if I use a 72 channel or the 2.4.

The way I was going to handle that was with advance notice to both fields (member of both RC Clubs) and let them know I am doing the Cross Country Flight on such n such date and would like to have cooperation NOT to fly on Channel ** or no 2.4 and a certain time, etc.............................

Will be using a 12' ws CUB with a G62 up front, in a back seat of a convertable with a mapped out route, driver, navigator, co-pilot in back seat with me in case of watery eyes, bugs, tired, etc.......................

hope to do it before crops get planted, etc............

PS:
Went to high school with a John Watson?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

That is a concern no matter if I use a 72 channel or the 2.4.
It should be of very little concern on 2.4 GHz. If you are using the Spektrum radio, the Rx is bonded to the Tx by a 32 bit code word. The odds of colliding with a Tx using the same code word are exceedingly small, even if you are on the same pair of frequencies, also not very likely. Might better worry about colliding with an incoming meteor.

Abel
Old 02-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: CROSS COUNTRY FLYING

R R
There will be no problems unless some one is flying on you Freq. Or you are ALL on 2.4
Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
jdwiflyrc
My Feedback: (31)

Hi Roger,

I was looking forward for more complete answers and got them, but lighting does strike in the same place twice!

Your desire to be safe in your attempt pleases me and good luck with the project. Keep us all posted on the flight.

Good day.

John Watson

12 years at Rock Ridge high in Wilson Co. NC. graduated 1960
Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM
ROGER RUSSELL

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

PS:
Jacksonville High School - Class of 1973
Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Live Wire

It gets where you never can tell what you are going to encounter out there, you take your chances and fly and hope you get no hits . Some time you gets by and others you end up with a bag full of BALSA.
We have gone as far as 90 mile and only loose one or two planes[:@]
Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger, try to contact this club. They sponsor a + country each year and go between a couple club fields. They may be able to provide some useful background for you.

APR 22--Katy, TX (C) Richard Jones Memorial Cross Counry Fly-In. Site: SCRC Club Field GPS: 29.866700, -95.816050. Sponsor: Space City RC Club #1259. CD: Mike Crotts, 19530 Woodglen, Katy, TX 77449. Phone: 713-856-3415(day) 713-870-3055(eve) E-Mail: [email protected] WebSite: www.spacecityrc.comSCRC Field on Olsen Lane, Just South of Katy Hockley Road & Hwy 529. This is a three legged timed event. Maps will be handed out at pilot's meeting. Fee: $25 per team. Lunch will be available at the end of the run. Don't miss this very unique event. Additional Club Information

SPACE CITY RC CLUB* http://www.spacecityrc.com
FINNIS L HOPSON [email protected]
16614 ROSE VIEW CT
CYPRESS TX 77429
Home Phone: 281.304.9934
Work Phone: 281.469.6595
Field Map: SCRC-1259.gif
Club Logo: SCRCLogo-1259.jpg
Club Newsletter Editor:
Dick Davidson [email protected]
Houston TX 77070

Old 02-28-2007, 07:20 AM
beepee

Roger,

I have competed a number of times in the event that Horrace referenced above. It has to be about the most fun you can have with a transmitter in your hand! Keep pursuing it!

Bedford
Old 02-28-2007, 10:21 AM
ROGER RUSSELL

Thanks guys for all the inf and help.

Will check into all.

Will also try and post pictures and results when accomplished,

Roger
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
typicalaimster

Hey Roger,
Please keep us posted on the steps you're going through. I'm planning on doing a cross country later on this year. Mine will be out in the middle of the Arizona desert so hopefully it won't be as much red tape involved.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:36 PM
ROGER RUSSELL

ORIGINAL: typicalaimster

Hey Roger,
Please keep us posted on the steps you're going through. I'm planning on doing a cross country later on this year. Mine will be out in the middle of the Arizona desert so hopefully it won't be as much red tape involved.
Will do.
I am actually test flying the CUB omorrow (Monday) as the weather forcast is 44degrees - 5-10mph wind.

Would like to on board video tape the whole flight and would like to get the New EAGLE TREE ON BOARD TELEMENTERY SYTSEM to record the flight also, but cost to much for me.
Maybe they would want to sponser this to see how well it works
Old 03-04-2007, 11:08 PM
typicalaimster

Yeah I hear you there. I plan on using a 900mhz video TX and the Spektrum Radio. I plan on taping the whole flight when I do it. I also plan on adding an altitude hold to my plane and the FMA Co-Pilot to help in an emergency. As far as telemetry I'm going to use my own in house stuff to deliver the data back down. I'd like to have the video and moving map there in my lap and be able to watch that.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 AM
beepee

I have always flown the Space City Cross Coountry with a 1/4 scale L4 Cub (Nosen). It makes a good CC platform because it is very stable and a friendly flyer. Mine was on the heavy side, which contributed to the stability and did not detract much from the top speed. Speed availability is very important. Space City's event is a timed competition where you are striving to hold the road's speed limit. Not easy into a 20 knot headwind!

For the Aprill 22 event I plan to fly a Dynaflight Decathlon and I will add a Co-Pilot. I don't need it so much for stability as there are times when the plane will go behind trees and being able to fly blind is an important quality ... been there, done that.

Come on down and join us!

Bedford
Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jdwiflyrc

Hi Roger,

I like the Idea of a 40 mile cross country and know none of the possible red tape a person could encounter in such a situation.

I do have a question concerning the 2.4 gig radio in that condition. Is it possible that arriving at the other flying field that some other person with 2.4 there could be on the exact frequency you started out with?

Just a question I think should be thought about.

2.4 checks if another 2.4 is in operation at the same location, but I think not at a field 40 miles away.

Thank,

John Watson
I thought with the full spectrum radios that they constantly switched frequencies in the 2.4 Gig band. I think they switch based on a random pattern, but if one of the frequencies has a problem it switches it pattern. That way dozens of people can use the same band without bothering to reserve a frequencie. So I would not think there would be a problem unless many people were in the air on 2.4 at one time. Any body know the max number? I recall there was a recommended not to exceed number.