Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Your countrys equvilant to the US AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Your countrys equvilant to the US AMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:43 PM
anonymouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your countrys equvilant to the US AMA

U.S. has the AMA, what is the governing body in your country? Is it a private concern, or a part of your government? What requirements if any and restrictons, if any to what and where you fly? I have heard for example that in Great Britian you need to accuire a Gov't license and prove you are a capable pilot. True or False? How about Germany, Norway, Greece, China, Japan Australia and New Zealand, any input?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:09 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Your countrys equvilant to the US AMA

In Belgium, the governing body is the Aero-club Royal de Belgique, A.S.B.L. Can't tell you what that encompasses but it is tied into and endorsed by the FAI which covers all aero-sporting areas from models to full size. In simplicity, to fly at a Belgian club as a member, you must be a card carrying member. Cost is about 65.00 US dollars per year at the current exchange rate which covers the discipline of aeromodelling. It covers insurance for liabilities and authorizes entry to FAI events worldwide including official record attempts. The governing sets the laws for flying sites and all related issues.

I get a quarterly publication that I flip through and toss into the paper recycle bag. In seven years of flying in Belgium I have never heard anyone speak of any issues regarding the Association other than "its time to pay your dues" and "here is your card". I guess its not very exciting.

Here is the card we receive.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73927.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	675791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77115.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	675792  
Old 05-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning A-Mouse

Here in Canada we have:

http://www.maac.ca/index.php

cheers
don dow
Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 AM
anonymouse

Thanks, Don. I have compared MAAC and AMA and they are pretty much the same. BMFA, MAAA the one in New Zealand are quite similar. It looks as though most European orgs have some tie to the Government civil aviation governing body. Interesting.....
Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tied to the civil aviation organization because that is needed to tie into the Fed. Avia. Internationale for the requirement of sending FAI teams to international modeling competitions.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:24 PM
anonymouse

Is AMA "tied" to FAA? There are AMA events that are associated with FAI are there not, I don't quite see the connection you make.. You may have to have an FAI card to fly in an FAI event, but ????? Enlighten me...
Old 05-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure you have read this before and have just forgotten. Do it all the time myself. [&o] Read the last paragraph in the first section and all will be revealed.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/whatisama.asp
Old 05-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning All

Here in Canada we have the Aero Club of Canada which is our/MAAC link to the FAI.

http://www.aeroclub.ca/about.htm

Presume this is equivalent to your:

National Aeronautic Association

These are Non Government Organizations.

cheers
don dow
Old 05-06-2007, 10:50 AM
anonymouse

Correct about forgetting, but AMA is an associate with FAI, and is not "tied" to FAA. I see that AMA co-ordinates with FAA, but not governed by them. Am I reading something that isn't there? Example. One or more countries Civil Aviation sets criteria for models exceeding 55lbs, flight altitudes, and such, and are not suggested. Also LARGE models are considered not models but miniature remotely piloted vehicles and therefore have to meet civil aviation reaquirements and inspections, so I have read. This is why I started asking these questions. So far I got some good leads as to organizations web sites and info from fliers. Still asking and learning. Thanks to all for the replies.....
Old 05-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Donovan Dow

Afternoon A-Mouse

Here in Canada models are less than 35kg and over it is a UAV.

http://www.maac.ca/view_news.php?itm=233

cheers
don dow
Old 05-06-2007, 05:29 PM
anonymouse

Don, 35KG is about 75LBs, correct? If you want to fly a model that large, do you have to get waivers from and have the aircraft certified by the government and or the MAAC ?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 PM
abel_pranger

anonymouse-

Re: "One or more countries Civil Aviation sets criteria for models exceeding 55lbs, flight altitudes, and such, and are not suggested."

There are international agreements regarding "what a model airplane is." The main org that administers these for the civil sector is ICAO, of which the USA is a member state and FAA is the designated representative. It has been discussed here on several occasions, search on term ICAO. Of course you can also go to the ICAO web site. FAA has not yet elected to enforce the 25 Kg (55 lb) part of the definition agreed to, and AMA has procedures in place, not endorsed by FAA, to waive it. Nothing wrong with that - no law against it, yet.

Abel
Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
anonymouse

Abel, Thanks for the clarification. Mouse
Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Donovan Dow

Morning Mouse

If it is over 77.2 pounds (35kg) here in Canada then it is a UAV and subject to being certified by Transport Canada, the Feds, to fly, and not covered by MAAC insurance.

It must also be remembered that line of sight vision of all radio controlled models must be maintained. Aircraft that are guided by GPS or "virtual flying" with onboard cameras are not "models" and are not insured by MAAC. Special flight operations certificates are also needed for these aircraft from the Feds.

cheers
don dow

Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 AM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Donovan Dow

It must also be remembered that line of sight vision of all radio controlled models must be maintained. Aircraft that are guided by GPS or "virtual flying" with onboard cameras are not "models" and are not insured by MAAC. Special flight operations certificates are also needed for these aircraft from the Feds.
Hi Don-

Same deal S of your border, except regulation only applies to AMA members/insureds. Not in the Fed regs. The only flight ops clearances required/issued for model flying by the FAA that I am aware of have been for altitude, as for jet rallys. VR flying is being done at an AMA club site I use. That rule gets as much respect as the 'one time only' buddy box flight rule, i.e., as much as it deserves.

Abel
Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Red B.

In Sweden, where I live, the Swedish Civil Aviation Authority, [link=http://www.luftfartsstyrelsen.se/templates/LS_InfoSida_70_30____38148.aspx]Luftfartsstyrelsen[/link] is the governing body. They expect model flying activities to be conducted according to the rules of the Swedish Model Flying Association [link=http://www.modellflygforbund.se]Svenska Modellflygförbundet (SMFF)[/link], which is an association of Swedish model flying clubs that is recognised by the the world air sports federation, [link=http://www.fai.org/]FAI[/link].

In principle there is no requirement to be affiliated with SMFF to fly a model aircraft, but membership provides some benefits, e.g., a third-party insurance. For most people however, the householders' comprehensive insurance will provide sufficient coverage.

According to the regulations of SMFF, model flying can only be conducted from sites that are recognised as "model flying fields" by an affiliated club. That said, in a country slightly larger than California, but with only 9 million inhabitants, there is plenty of space for flying model aircraft so many people fly from any suitable field that they have nearby.

There is no radio license required to operate a R/C transmitter (most flying takes place on the 35 MHz band with the 2.4 GHz band becoming more popular by the day). The radio transmitter itself must be [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark]CE marked.[/link]

As for the aircraft, the following applies:

Max weight with fuel: 25,0 Kg (55 lbs)
Max wing area: 500 dm2 (7750 sq.in)
Max wing loading: 250 g/dm2 (82 oz./sq.ft.)
Max engine capacity: 250 cm3 (15 cu.in.)
Max voltage for electric powered aircraft: 42 V
Max external diameter for the combustion chamber of pulse-jet engines: 82 mm (3 1/4 in.)
Pulse jet engines are only allowed for control-line aircraft
Max static thrust for jet turbines: 20 kP = 196 N (44 lbf)
Max sound level: 96 dB(A) @ 3 meters (10 ft).

/Red B.