Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why do flying fields

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Why do flying fields

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 02:24 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why do flying fields

Ok, With the recent thread on guest at flying fields I was curious
about something that probably many others are too..
Many invitations and fields state "Must have valid AMA card" ..
Question; WHY?
AMA does not provide insurance coverage..
AMA does not provide tutorials..
AMA does not require safety inspections <unless over 55#>
Now, this is NOT a "lets bash AMA" thread so please do not
start with that.. This is a question as to what the inviting person reasoning is to wanting guest
to process an AMA card..
IF a person who everyone at your field knows is very proficient
decides to accept invite and fly, but has no AMA card, do you ground him for that..
A person mails in the $58, then heads to LHS and drops $500 for an ARF and related stuff, comes out and puts plane thru a car window.. Is that acceptable just because he does have an AMA card..

== ? ==
Old 03-03-2003, 02:45 AM
tdwise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Card

Being that I like this hobby so much, I treat my AMA card in the same manner I treat my drivers license - I never leave home without it! If someone's so proficient at RC flying and happens to be visiting from out of town, I would think that he/she would be diligent enough - as if to anticipate a visit to the local RC field - that they would make dang sure they brought their AMA card with them.

The other scenario you describe continues to be that "gray area" in the hobby that no one's really gotten a handle on. There are still many open ends that prevent adequate enforcement of a John Q. Public from acquiring an AMA card, RC ARF and then attempting to fly on his own risking harm to himself or others. All we can do is try and just trust the numbers!

Ted
Old 03-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Live Wire

If you have an accident who is liable, If the person that in invited you were injured or kill , Damage to property on which you fly , There all kinds of variables that can come into the picture. If you have other insurance that will take effect or has your life time bubble got burst. Are you under age with insurance except AMA. They say every thing has a purpose Don't take chances or press your luck.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:17 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Yes the AMA does provide insurance, if something should happen, God forbid, that insurance can make the difference between losing everything you have or surviving a lawsuit.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>>>>>>>
Question; WHY?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:05 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Why do flying fields

>>AMA does not provide insurance coverage..

Gad, the mars question is perfect here. Insurance certianly is provided, especially if your a site owner.

>>AMA does not provide tutorials..

Just reading my April MA right now.
Bob Aberle has a great article about the Basics of Radio Control Systems...
Part IV of Project Extra, Controlling Systems was superb and even though I've been flying large airplanes for years I still learned a few things I'm going to use on the 80" CAP 232 I'm building right now.....
Sure sounds tutorial in nature to me!

>>AMA does not require safety inspections <unless over 55#>

I will not fly my model at sanctioned events until it has been proven airworthy.
I will have completed a successful radio range check prior to the first flight....
Et al.....

Sure sounds like the basis of a safety inspection to me. Just because you are graciously allowed to inspect it yourself doesn't mean a safety inspection is not required!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default AMA

In many cases the Land Owner and Club are insured with the AMA , When I have an event sanctioned by AMA at an off site flying area that area is insured by AMA, like a lake for float fly. AMA does not cover an incident caused by non AMA member.

"A person mails in the $58, then heads to LHS and drops $500 for an ARF and related stuff, comes out and puts plane thru a car window.. Is that acceptable just because he does have an AMA card.. "

Actually he would be up creek without a paddle because he was not following the safty code, but the club and owner would be covered. There is no perfect answer to what is better, a newbe with a card or a good pilot without, the newbe if following the safty code is covered and so is the club and Land owner, The experieced pilot can screw the club and Owner if he has an incedent, and an incedent does not have to be flight related.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:49 PM
J_R

Default Re: Why do flying fields

Originally posted by Robby
Question; WHY?
AMA does not provide tutorials..
AMA does not require safety inspections <unless over 55#>
Now, this is NOT a "lets bash AMA" thread so please do not
start with that.. This is a question as to what the inviting person reasoning is to wanting guest
to process an AMA card..
IF a person who everyone at your field knows is very proficient
decides to accept invite and fly, but has no AMA card, do you ground him for that..
A person mails in the $58, then heads to LHS and drops $500 for an ARF and related stuff, comes out and puts plane thru a car window.. Is that acceptable just because he does have an AMA card..

== ? ==
Although I tend to agree with Horrace that this is a troll, I will give it a stab.

Certain assumptions must be made in trying to answer the questions. First, the Safety code, which also includes any club rules, must be followed. Keep in mind that the Safety Code is a list of exclusions to the AMA insurance coverage. Yes... the AMA does supply insurance.

Invitations that require an AMA card imply that an AMA sanctioned event is going to be taking place. Keep in mind that all AMA insurance coverage is secondary, except for the landlord for whom it is primary. The requirement for an AMA membership at a sanctioned event assures two things. That all participants will have insurance since it is for only AMA members, and that it will be run under the rules set forth by the AMA. Whether the event is held at a chartered club field, or at some other location, the landlord may be covered by including him under the terms of the sanction, with primary insurance. The participants will be covered with secondary insurance unless they have no other insurance, in which case the AMA insurance becomes primary. If it is not a sanctioned event and it is taking place at a chartered club field, the landlord's insurance is in place if the club has included him under their charter. AMA insurance for the club follows along the same lines as the landowner, except that the coverage is secondary.

The AMA does not have tutorials. They do. however, have a training program in place that is available to the chartered clubs.

The Safety Code does require that: "I will not fly my model aircraft in sanctioned events, air shows, or model flying demonstrations until it has been proven to be airworthy by having been previously, successfully flight tested." and " I will not fly my model aircraft in the presence of spectators until I become a qualified flier, unless assisted by an experienced helper".

"A person mails in the $58, then heads to LHS and drops $500 for an ARF and related stuff, comes out and puts plane thru a car window.. Is that acceptable just because he does have an AMA card.."

This question is particularly badly worded. Of course it is not "acceptable"... however, it is covered under the AMA insurance. Again, keep in mind that the AMA insurance is secondary to any other insurance in place. This, again, assumes compliance with the Safety Code. If he is a new flyer, he must have an experienced helper.

JR