Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Active lobbying

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Active lobbying

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Active lobbying

For those 'in the know' with the AMA, are they planning on doing any active lobbying to the government to prevent any restrictions due to 'security' concerns? I know that AOPA has been dedicating nearly all of its time to protect full-scale pilots, and I was wondering, even though the AMA is much smaller, what it is planning on doing to protect us? Could this be the modern version of the battle for frequency control, only with higher stakes?
Old 03-04-2003, 07:42 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Active lobbying

with all 170,000 members we got<G>
hell some of the members of congeres we gotta deal with got more staffers than we got members<G>
i harbor no illusions as to what will be the outcome of any real effort to restrict or do away with us.

When they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C
Old 03-04-2003, 07:42 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active lobbying

Careful with your wording, it is illegal of the AMA to lobby

The AMA has been in contact with several government agencies with regard to your concerns.

Although I am not 'in the know', from a discussion I had with Dave Brown, I think the AMA may be willing to give up anything more than "line of site" RC to protect our rights as modelers. Trying to set standards for UAV's may be impossible. His opinion seemed to be that if we limit ourselves to "line of site", that a pretty good case can be made. This is an evolving issue and things may be changing rapidly.

Take a look at the thread in this forum http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...59&forumid=211 and follow the links. It would appear that the rocket guys are toast. You can count on more information coming out as it develops.

JRR
Old 03-04-2003, 07:52 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Active lobbying

just from what i know of the boys with the ec.
look for

no beyond line of sight
nothing over 25-30 pounds all up weight allowed
speed limit/restriction to approximately 150 mph
no operation before sunrise or after sunset
no fitting of autonomus control devices allowable

these are axes that i KNOW some of the folks on the council have to grind, and now they have a way to get em enforced as part of "saving" r/c for us all.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:55 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Active lobbying

The rocket thing should not be a concern from what I have been reading. There is legislation being introduced to protect model rocket engines from the Safe Explosives Act, and hopefully it shouldn't have a problem passing. I just get a little concerned when I keep reading about the actions of other groups working with the gvt and just some basic info about what the AMA is doing.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:06 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Active lobbying

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Joseph Farah's G2 Bulletin.

While the Pentagon is warning Americans of plans by terrorists to use drone aircraft to attack cities with chemical and biological agents, a similar threat is posed by the use radio-controlled model planes packed with explosives, reports Joseph Farah's G2 Bulletin.
Israeli intelligence sources say a number of Hamas terrorists were killed and injured recently while assembling an explosive device to be mounted on a radio-controlled model plane. Those sources tell the online intelligence newsletter they have had information dating back to October 2001 about Hamas, Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations' efforts to collect data about remote-controlled airplanes – mostly from the Internet.

While the U.S. government fears terrorists may be ready to assemble larger drones already smuggled into America, it's much easier and cheaper for terrorists to build and use these smaller models. For between $4,000 and $5,000, terrorists can buy a remote-controlled airplane capable of carrying a payload of up to 40 pounds, according to G2 Bulletin sources.

Because of the terror threat, the Homeland Security Department has asked the FBI to look into the legal ramifications of building and marketing model mini-airplanes and mini-helicopters for commercial use. A provision within the obscure regulations of the Homeland Security Act is already threatening to shut down the popular hobby of model rocketry in the United States because the propellant to make the solid-fuel is a classified as an explosive material.

Another aspect for the use of mini-aircraft, and even short-range rockets, is the ability to use them as carriers for delivering dangerous chemical and biological agents, reports G2 Bulletin. These agents can be sprayed easily by a mini-helicopter designated for crop-dusting.

A British analyst warned, in a paper distributed to the intelligence community, that mini-helicopters can be launched from a backyard, a balcony, a roof top, a truck and even vessels. "They can hover over a site for at least 30 minutes and sprinkle death and mayhem," he said.

In most cases, the assumption is that commercially oriented radio-controlled crafts, or terrorist knockoffs, can stay in the air for about 30 minutes and that the operator needs to have constant eye contact with the craft. But hobby clubs and other amateurs are developing radio-controlled mini-aircraft carrying real-time video cameras and transmitters, which allow the operation of more than one vehicle. The first radio-controlled aircraft would be carrying the cargo, and when it moves beyond the sight range of the controller, the second aircraft takes over and transmits the necessary information.

Old 03-05-2003, 11:02 PM
ChuckN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active lobbying

The reality is that regular size, line-of-sight, R/C planes and helis are not large enough to carry a threatening payload. I don't think that "terrorists" intent on harming the U.S. are really taking the R/C model airplane concept seriously. Hopefully clearer heads will prevail in our government and lawmakers will realize that these fears are unfounded.

But, if something tragic did happen, perhaps they should make a law banning ARFs? I'm not sure those terrorists can build a kit
Old 03-06-2003, 04:05 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Active lobbying

>>>>>>>>>

The reality is that regular size, line-of-sight, R/C planes and helis are not large enough to carry a threatening payload.