Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Steve Kaluf and the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Steve Kaluf and the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
gluit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steve Kaluf and the AMA

ORIGINAL: mongo

in response to somebody who asked, if anyone here did not have a problem with what mr c has done, i am that anyone.

the boss is the boss, even when the boss may be wrong.
unofficial insider info tells me that this is more than a one incident affair, but rather the culmination of an ongoing thing. as in, the last straw.
I agree about the last straw that is usually what is hapening in these situations.

Then I also have to question Steve's judgement. He must have known the new boss had trouble with him. The boss tells him to stay out of the "lawnmower" business. The next time the boss sees him he is riding a lawnmower? And then he acts suprised the boss got mad?

Then posting online, now for eternity everyone (potential employers) will know he was terminated, at least Cherry was giving him a way to exit without that on his record. Again I question the judgement. Thanks, Aman
Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: gluit
unofficial insider info tells me that this is more than a one incident affair, but rather the culmination of an ongoing thing. as in, the last straw.
When the dust clears I think it would have been better for SK to just come in here and thank everyone for their support. Personally I think he made a huge mistake and perhaps jumped the gun. I also don't think JC is going to be happy about his comment about "along the lines of - how would that make me look", that won't get his job back. EC might as well just drop any pursuits based on that comment alone. Doesn't matter if JC did mean it that way, post the exact words or none at all, because nobody EVER wants to hear "along the lines of", well at least not this crowd.

There is an old saying...the road to hell is paved with good intentions, ironically, I found this snippet on the web, these are not my words, only contrary to the discussion. BEGIN: Being generous and helpful to our fellow human beings is a good thing. But let's understand the mechanism. Intentions are good, but intention without capacity is pathetic. If you want to be good, you have the duty to be effective. You have to judge whether or not the cause deserves help and if it is "your business" or not. But if you decide it is and if you waste your resources so you have nothing left to share, you get no credit for good intentions, or maybe your intentions are just part of the pavement on the road to hell. Speaking of generosity, it is impossible to be generous with someone else's property. It is like the guy who thinks he is "generous" by letting his friend cut into line. Actually the only way he can be generous is to give up his place in line entirely. Otherwise all he is giving is someone else's place. He is not generous, just rude. END

Now I wonder if JC is understands some of this philosphy while leading 160,000, most of which, are adult men. I sure hope so. Let's also not forget that the AMA was on a downward spiral before JC came into his office and he has a duty to turn that spiral in the opposite direction.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Gluit, when you get fired for lack of effort, stealing, drunkenness....you know, THAT sort of thing, you keep it quiet. If I was to get canned for riding a mower, or turning the tstat in my office down to 70, or flushing the toilet twice at one sitting, or having company pens and pencils turn up in my home, etc....now I would want the whole world to know that I'm getting "jobbed".
Unless you are SKs' accountant or his Mom, let him worry about his future employment possibilities.

I doubt that SK was running a tape recorder during this episode, so if he needed to paraphrase what was said, that is understandable.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Look out for snow in Tahiti but I agree with STL.

He has indeed tied JC's hands. Now instead of "Steve Kaluf has resigned from the AMA for personal reasons. We would like to thank him for his years of service and wish him and his family the best in his future endevors" the dirty laundry is out on the line for the whole neighborhood.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 AM
combatpigg

WHAT dirty laundry are you talking about?
Nobody has tied Jim Cherrys' hands. If he wants to act like a man about this, then he will come forward with what has already been demanded of him for proof and evidence.
If his actions are 100% justified, then he should have no problem coming here.

If JC fails to fully report the cause of his actions to the membership, then he should be held in contempt.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:27 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
I doubt that SK was running a tape recorder during this episode, so if he needed to paraphrase what was said, that is understandable.
Coming from the same guy who made this quote??
JC needed a more substantial reason to give him the heave-ho. As it stands, it looks like JC was grabbing at straws. I want to see an itemized list that outlines Jim Cherrys' reason for firing Steve Kaluf. I want to see the list and I want to see the timeline of events.
Come on there Combat, I respect your posts and always read them to the fullest, but in this case you're playing devil's advocate.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:46 AM
combatpigg

STL, what do you expect a judge will want to see in a NLRB case?
If JC has just cause for this extreme action, then he is going to have to furnish more of a case against Steve than just the lawn mower episode.
If he has been building a case against Steve, then he should have no trouble supplying this information.

I guess your answer to my earlier question is NO, we don't have a right to know what happened.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM
STLPilot

I guess your answer to my earlier question is NO, we don't have a right to know what happened.
So it's your right to know what happened worth what may come out about Steve Kaluf, which will more then likely, have a negative impact on him?

Interestingly enough, I've been getting PM's from more then one induvidual thanking me for their support on the matter and have been getting more information in regards to this particular case and even more. Never the less, some of the info is as expected, however only 3rd party. Now none of the people have asked me not to post the information, but if you weren't so quick to judge, then perhaps you would be positioned to get the information that I've been getting. Trying to just simply demand action will get you nowhere.

Let me ask you Combat, have you ever fired a person before? You are supposed to protect your employees during and after you fire them, unless of course a crime was commited. You actully think for a second that JC is a stupid person?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Let's also not forget that the AMA was on a downward spiral before JC came into his office and he has a duty to turn that spiral in the opposite direction.
So in your twisted mind you think this is the way?

Get real!

If subordination was actually the cause there are many other disciplinary actions that can be given other than termination...especially of an employee with the service record that Steve has.

Here is the deal...Steve gave his side of the story and until another side is given I will be inclined to accept it as truth and discount any defense you give based on your goofy assumptions or your erroneous perceptions of how things should work.

Steve's words far exceed your thoughts on this matter. No matter how much crap you sling up on the walls to see what sticks you have nothing to bring to the table but conjecture. It truly is a simple matter for an opposite rendition of events to be given...so in the absence of that opposition your crap means little…er…nothing!
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

He has indeed tied JC's hands. Now instead of "Steve Kaluf has resigned from the AMA for personal reasons. We would like to thank him for his years of service and wish him and his family the best in his future endevors" the dirty laundry is out on the line for the whole neighborhood.
In this case that generic BS is just that... BS... and as such unacceptable for many of us. If you are appreciate such crap good for you but it is truly meaningless fluff. Steve is a fellow AMA member/ hobbyist and deserves more than a little the usual get-along-song.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:32 AM
combatpigg

STL, no I have never fired anyone and I wasn't aware of any rule that the employer is supposed to protect those who are getting fired.
I'm sure that by coming here with his side off the story, Steve is smart enough to know what kind of jeopardy that might place him in.
To some, the truth is worth more than all of that.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
KidEpoxy

"Steve gave his side of the story and until another side is given I will be inclined to accept it as truth "

It is not that we havent heard info from the other side,
Check Post #14 & what JimRice said,
the other side doesnt want to give thier side of the story.

When the military doesnt tell the troops every detail, thats ok.
When the government keeps some things classified, that's ok.
When a membership organization wants to keep thngs secret from the members... thats not ok.

Like I said, maybe we dont need the Tabloid level of details (yet), but 7 or 8 words explaining things would be nice.

"He has resigned" & "Mutual Agreement" aint gonna cut it this time, and it looks (from the lack of information) that they are having a hard time coming up with a story that doesnt make them look bad.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
littlecrankshaf

I'm sure that by coming here with his side off the story, Steve is smart enough to know what kind of jeopardy that might place him in.
To some, the truth is worth more than all of that.
Good point
Old 08-19-2007, 11:54 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf
Steve is a fellow AMA member/hobbyist and deserves more than a little the usual get-along-song.
If you want to debate, remove your personal feelings in regards to your friend. We are not here to talk about Steve the modeler, we are here to talk about Steve the AMA employee. Otherwise your post would be better suited in a building thread.

If even half of the info I received was accurate and it becomes public, there will be a few feet in a few mouths. Or by the time this thread falls off into neverland, a whole bunch of them.

If you want the answers you are looking for, use your brain to get them, not your feelings. Afterall I didn't ask a single person to provide me with any information, it just showed up. However it's pretty obvious there is more to the story then what has been written in this thread and I wasn't surprised when it showed up.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

As long as he didn't request his resignation so that he could hire a less qualified buddy of his, then I don't think that dragging out details from an employees personel file is going to do the AMA, the ex employee or the membership as a whole any benefit. I'd wager a bet that in many states it's not even legal.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:23 PM
combatpigg

If the AMA can provide the information requested along with evidence and proof that this firing was justified, I will gladly chew my toenails
Old 08-19-2007, 12:24 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Steve is a fellow AMA member/hobbyist and deserves more than a little the usual get-along-song.
If you want to debate, remove your personal feelings in regards to your friend. But until then you wont get any kind of response from me. I'm not here to talk about Steve the modeler, I'm here to talk about Steve the AMA employee. If even half of the info I received was accurate and it becomes public, there will be a few feet in a few mouths. Or by the time this thread falls off into neverland, a whole bunch of them.

If you want the answers you are looking for, use your brain to get them, not your feelings.
Alright big boy, Pm me with the info, post it here or shut up. Otherwise we will talk about what has been presented...not what hasn't...like you are doing. If you can't bring it to the table do not chime in and cast aspersions. That is truly unfair. Even you should be able to see that…er…on second thought maybe not.

If someone has counter info they could as easily PM me as they have you…as you claim????????/that would make even more sense now wouldn’t it? You are so full of it.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 PM
STLPilot

Alright big boy, Pm me with the info, post it here or shut up. Otherwise we will talk about what has been presented...not what hasn't...like you are doing. If you can't bring it to the table do not chime in and cast aspersions. That is truly unfair. Even you should be able to see that…er…on second thought maybe not.
What and hand you the information I earned? Sorry LCS, I don't answer to you or anyone else, only the big man upstairs. This isn't my problem, this is Steve and JC's. Continue with your conspiracy theory, I could care less. I'm only here to support AMA leadership, not to present 3rd party informaion to you or anyone else. I have not judged the ED or Steve Kaluf, only presented my opinions.

But now you want to just simply call me a liar and say I'm full of it, to continue your quest and pass judgement on me?? Geeee didn't think I would have seen that coming from a person who does his best to hide his idenity. So if you are going to call me a liar, please state your name there big boy. Otherwise the comments your trying to hand the rest of us is as valid as the ghost appearance you've ALWAYS maintained.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM
KidEpoxy

LCS-
He cant give you the info he has, it is not public info-
only a handfull of Muncie-ites know and it is restricted to their ranks.
.... oh, their ranks and random guys in NYC.... and nobody else due to the private & confidential nature of the information.

It is not a question of protecting Steve from the info getting out,
seems the gossip trail has lead to STL with this info unfit for the members.
Seems whatever info about steve they dont want out has gotten all the way to NYC already without the blessing of AMA publication..... if that is the AMA keeping a secret, dont let Muncie do govermant contracting.

Maybe someday the rest of the membership could rise in AMA status to be included in non-member info like STLs position in the AMA.

STL-
your posistion of I Know Something You Dont is a demonstration of the failings of the system. If the AMA was interested in protecting Steve, they would not gossip to you with the dish on Steve. If you recieved info deemed sensative to Steve and cant share it, you shouldnt have gotten it. If it is not so confidential that some randome guys in NYC are allowed to know, then they should answer direct querries by LMs about it.

If the AMA claims the info is secret, they shouldnt gossip with their friends.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 PM
STLPilot

Don't worry there KE, knowing the crowd the information I received is only soon to be released. However people wanting it the most are just going to be the last to get it. I'm not holding back any informaton that I don't want to pass and I didn't ask a single person for it. It's not my fault that I received information that I didn't ask for.

IMHO the biggest mistake was neither the lawnmower ride or the firing. The biggest mistake made was SK's posting. It only confirmed the obvious.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:13 PM
JUGFLIER

The week prior to the IRCHA Helicopter Jamboree I volunteered to mow part of the site IRCHA would be using to AMA's Maintenance Director on the upcoming Saturday. The regular crews would still be involved with the Nats and doing this would help them get the job done sooner. The Maintenance Director told me he'd appreciate the help and would have the mowers ready for my son and I.

Later in the week Jim Cherry asked me to not request the use of any equipment during the Jamboree (a week which I was on vacation) personally as he needed to track what was being used and wanted the IRCHA Event Director to make all requests. I agreed as I understood this need.

So, the Saturday morning prior to the week IRCHA started my 16 year-old son and I met a couple of the maintenance guys, got the mowers out and started down the road to the site to be used by the Jamboree. Shortly Mr. Cherry's vechicle came flying across the grass field, and stopped me. He was very angery and asked what the heck I was doing on a mower after our conversation. I attempted to explain that I had not requested the use of the mowers and had simply volunteered to help our guys out during a time they were short handed to get all that needed to be done-done. He would not listen to me at all.
If Steve Kaluf had done something wrong getting out the mowers, then where is the hides of the maintenance people. If Steve being on the mower was a violation of AMA rules and worthy of firing, why was it not a firing offense for the maintenance workers?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 PM
tadawson

For those defending Cherry, remember . . . at the end of the day, and idiot with a title and authority is still just an idiot. To assume that just because someone has a position that they are above personal innuendo and inappropriate behavior is just insane . . . .

To the comment "How would I look if I took you back now" . . .

The answer is clear: Like a man with integrity, who recognized that he is not perfect and that makes mistakes, and with a strong enough spine to admit and correct those mistakes. No negative image whatsoever - only positive. Sad that a lot of the ultra-PC management pukes in this world can't grasp such simple concepts.

And lastly, let me point out (in case anyone missed it), by Steve's account, he was asked to not request/use mowers the week of IRCHA . . . this happened BEFORE that week, so the directive he was given by Cherry did not yet apply. I suspect that this is what he was trying to point out, when "Little Hitler" decided that he didn't want to (apparently) be confused by facts . . .

- Tim
Old 08-19-2007, 01:57 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: tadawson
To the comment "How would I look if I took you back now" . . .

The answer is clear: Like a man with integrity, who recognized that he is not perfect and that makes mistakes, and with a strong enough spine to admit and correct those mistakes. No negative image whatsoever - only positive. Sad that a lot of the ultra-PC management pukes in this world can't grasp such simple concepts.
You may have a point if that was what was said, but it wasn't, it was "along the lines of". It's natural for people to have others look for help to heal their wounds. But sometimes you can cause an infection.

You took SK's comment hook, line and sinker.

In regards to JC's ability, sounds like he's no idiot. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4952557
Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Just has a hard time keeping a job! Anyone want to speculate why!!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:49 PM
combatpigg

His resume reads like that of a journeyman short relief pitcher with chronic bursitus.
Aren't most Chamber of Commerce positions usually held by the Mayors' inlaws?
Impressive isn't the right word to describe his resume, I would use words like, voluminous, circuitous, meandering, itinerant, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.