Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Why do you belong to the AMA? Poll

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Just for the insurance
27.96%
For the insurance and other reasons
43.55%
For some other reason not tied to insurance
28.49%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you belong to the AMA? Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM
RUSTYK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do you belong to the AMA? Poll

I like & support AMA and have been a member about 30 years. I enjoy reading the magazine from cover to cover. When I am through with it I give it to the VA Hospital.

Rusty
AMA Leader Member
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Nathan_L

As someone else stated above. I ONLY join the AMA each year to be able to fly at Joe Nall. Been a member for several years and never received a magazine - not that I think I'm missing anything. Don't need the insurance etc...

I'm giving it up this year with the introduction of the Park Flyer program which I do not agree with. So this year I'll either skip Joe Nall all together or just drive thru the gate with soemone who has an AMA card and I won't fly.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Flyer Freq

I don't believe you know the value of something until you have a need for it. For several years, I willingly paid my AMA dues so that I could fly with the local club. I didn't really think anything about my AMA membership past that. In this world, things change pretty quickly. I was very happy as an instructor in our club. We were pretty much a band of namads, moving from field to field, as the wind blew us. Every time we lost a field, good fortune gave us a new place to fly. One day, a self taught individual joined our club. He did not know any of the AMA safety suggestions, and didn't like to have safety rules we had adopted pointed out to him. My first real taste of flying with him almost ended in tragedy, as he couldn't take off with a crosswind, so he hand launched his trainer from the opposite side of the field, into the pits. Everyone scrambled for safety, and he caught the wrath of about a half dozen pilots and family members. When things calmed down, we gave him the option to go through some flight instruction, or he wouldn't be allowed to fly. He reported us to the AMA as an unfair and unsafe club, and reported us to local authorities, as well. The AMA stepped in, and investigated his claims. When his claims were found to be unsubstantiated, the AMA legal department came to our aide. They had written documents form him, and posts he made on our forums, and made a case against him, that shut him up. The legal department then worked with our officers to beef up our bylaws to protect us from anyone else like him in the future, and protect us, should he try to join us and bad mouth us again. Our flying site was protected now, for a time. Unfortunately, real estate development had our days numbered.

I wrote an e-mail to the AMA, in regard to our need for a new flying site. I made it clear we were tired of being nomad's and wanted a home. Next thing I know, I am talking to Wes De Cou on the telephone. Wes gave us a lot of insight as to how to proceed with our approach. We followed his recommendations and soon had a target site. It was a landfill that other recreational clubs had already pursued and been turned down for. Wes and I had stayed in touch. We wanted to make a play for the landfill site and knew we needed to play it right and get it right the first time. I found out that Wes was going to be at the EAA, which was about 40 miles from our proposed site. I invited Wes to look at our target site, and invited him for dinner afterward. I picked Wes up at his motel, and brought him to the landfill, where several of our members were waiting. Wes loved the site! We took him to dinner, and he tutored us for the next several hours on how we were going to get that site. He sent us material to help us prepare for our presentation. We went through several meetings with the DNR and the city officials. It all ended with a City Counsel Meeting and vote. The mayor and counsel members told us that our proposal was better thought out and prepared than anything they had ever seen, even from major corporations. Many of the organizations present asked for copies of what we had prepared so they could copy us. That is a lot of praise! We were told that besides the professional preparation and presentation, that the thing that separated us from the other recreational organizations that had tried to get use of the land was our affiliation with a national organization that backs us with insurance. When the counsel members voted on our proposition, we received the land with a unanimous vote. If my $58.00 a year gets me a place to fly and a legal department protecting my right to fly, it is money well spent!

In the beginning, I was ignorant of what the AMA was there for. My teacher used to say, "stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed". I am happy to say that the AMA cured my ignorance. All I can say is that if you don't know what the AMA is there for or what it can do for you, you haven't asked the AMA for help.

I will attach a picture of our HOME! You tell me if this 68 acre site is worth $58.00 a year.[sm=thumbup.gif] We have a 15 year renewable lease. We have a rock quarry on one side, and swamp land on the other 3 sides. No urban sprawl is possible![8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24079.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	848842  
Old 01-12-2008, 06:14 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

In the beginning, I was ignorant of what the AMA was there for. My teacher used to say, "stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed". I am happy to say that the AMA cured my ignorance. All I can say is that if you don't know what the AMA is there for or what it can do for you, you haven't asked the AMA for help.
There are some, many, in fact all most all on this board who think the AMA is a group of 75 (EC included) incompetent, money spending blunderers who think they sit at a desk all year long to serve them individually and don't realize that MANY others benefit in all aspects of the AMA, including it's magazine. But when it comes to the daily ops of the AMA's most here think they can do it better. But quite frankly, I think they are doing it just fine.

Great story flyer freq, I'm on the exact same page as you. I just can't understand why there aren't more people who understand what the AMA stands for and I can't understand why they don't protect them .... YES .... religiously.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Flyer Freq

It is my belief that without the competent guidance of the AMA, we would still be without a home. If we had found our site at all, we would have likely stumbled miserably through the meetings with the DNR and city officials, and not known what assets we bring to the table to make us appealing to them. We may have ended up like the other organizations that failed at their attempt to secure the site. We used the guidance of the AMA, and the rest is history! We have a club full of grateful and enlightened members! Thanks AMA!

Andy
Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 AM
RUSTYK

Well stated Flyer Freq, From 1984-1994 I was President of clubs for eight of those years and had dealings with AMA HQ a couple of times. AMA staff was always helpful and provided any assistance required. One time I had business in Wash DC and was able to visit AMA HQ when it was located in Reston Va. One of the staff gave me a great tour.
I won't say AMA doen't have issues all orgaizations do but I have never heard of one that wanted me to resign my membership over.
AMA has many programs for AMAers. All one has to do is read the magazine or web site to see what is available.

Rusty
AMA Leader Member
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

There are some, many, in fact all most all on this board who think the AMA is a group of 75 (EC included) incompetent, money spending blunderers who think they sit at a desk all year long to serve them individually and don't realize that MANY others benefit in all aspects of the AMA, including it's magazine.

What a load of crapola. It is stuff like you just spewed that has the effect to perpetually keep this forum spinning...You are one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) problems IMO. Again you make your self dizzy and the rest of us ready to up-chuck.

Now, for a reality check...most if not all that frequent this forum truly appreciates any thing the AMA can do to help acquire new flying sites...That is the real non-spinning truth!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I joined the AMA because it was required at our field.

I do not think that falls into the "I needed the insurance" category, because at the time, I owned a home and had homeowners insurance.

I didn't need the insurance. I wanted to join this club and they required that I have it.

I don't need the AMA bands to fly either. I'm on Spektrum 2.4ghz now.

I really don't like being forced to pay for the membership every year. But, there is no place to fly around here without an AMA card. It would be easier to swallow if I wasn't forced to also pay for a magazine which is completely worthless to me. I know a lot of you like and enjoy the magazine, but I don't. It doesn't cover the aspects of the hobby that I'm interested in. It's nothing more than a bunch of advertisements to me. I can get all the advertisements I want on the net. I usually flip through the magazine and it hits the trashcan about 5 minutes after I take it out of the mailbox. There was a couple years where I was able to renew my membership and opt out of the magazine for a $12 discount. But they removed that option and I still pay full tilt for the membership.

So far, I haven't seen how the AMA benefits me. [] It just costs me money every year to purchase a magazine that I don't want.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMA has done nothing for me although I paid a substantial amount of money to them-so people say we pay to promote the hobby but I sure do not see anything happening nor promotions either except membership directory, dvd's and other trash to sale. The only reason I belong is to be able to fly at several clubs that I am a member.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Flyer Freq

I really hesitate to respond to this, but if you are looking for the AMA to do something for you personally, you better consider canceling your life, home and health insurance policies. You see, the way they work, in simple terms, is you pay money in to a pool along with a few thousand of your neighbors, and then when one of your neighbors dies, or has a house fire, or an illness, your money goes to cover those losses for them. If you are lucky, you will not have the need for any of the money in that pool to be spent on you or your family. If it is your poor fortune to have a need for a payout from the policies you have, you at least have the comfort of knowing that the benefits are there. You want to say that you pay in to the AMA and receive no benefit, but the truth of the matter is that some of your money is in my field in Wisconsin, someone's field in Texas, another field in Washington State, etc, etc. Some of your money went to defend a club from some crazy allegations that could close a field in Iowa, or California. Your money has paid for so much more than 72MHz frequencies. I hope you never lose a field, or need help acquiring one. I hope no one ever claims that your model engines caused their cows to give sour milk, and you owe them for their losses. I hope that you never need to go to the AMA for help; but if you do, isn't it good to know that you have them to turn to? Our club is living proof that the AMA is working for us. If we need their help again, we have a club full of people with the ability to dial that AMA phone number for help. They will use it! You are not doing anyone any favors telling them the AMA is useless. Are they perfect? What is? They do a good job. No one that works for the AMA is getting rich off your dues. Your money is at work, protecting your right to enjoy the sport of model aviation. Don't beg for a reason to see that money work for you personally. I can tell you, that wondering if you will be allowed to continue to fly is no fun!

Consider these things, and have a great evening!

Andy
Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 PM
RUSTYK

Why do I belong to AMA?
I enjoy being with others that enjoy flying models (any model).
AMA has done alot of good for modelers.
It helps get and keep flying sites.
It has a scholarship program for students.
It maintains Model flying records.
Has a great reseach library where you can can get plans.
Has a good maazine.
Provides coordination of model events.
Supports international teams that represent the USA all over the world.
Has liason with the FCC and FAA.
It is a good organization with leadership that the voters elected.
Not bad for $58.00 a year.
Oh yea insurance.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Flyer Freq

ORIGINAL: RUSTYK

Why do I belong to AMA?
I enjoy being with others that enjoy flying models (any model).
AMA has done alot of good for modelers.
It helps get and keep flying sites.
It has a scholarship program for students.
It maintains Model flying records.
Has a great reseach library where you can can get plans.
Has a good maazine.
Provides coordination of model events.
Supports international teams that represent the USA all over the world.
Has liason with the FCC and FAA.
It is a good organization with leadership that the voters elected.
Not bad for $58.00 a year.
Oh yea insurance.
Amen!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Nathan_L

I think the original question would be more revealing if it had been worded - "Would you belong to the AMA IF it did NOT offer insurance as part of the membership".
Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 PM
RUSTYK

YES
Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Nathan_L

I think the original question would be more revealing if it had been worded - "Would you belong to the AMA IF it did NOT offer insurance as part of the membership".
Although that would be a valid and good question, most would not realize or admit AMA probably would not exist today without the insurance. Many would further extrapolate neither would the hobby exist without AMA. So...the answer would be No for most that gives an answer consistent to their reality.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

The AMA belongs to ME. They are a great resource, available as needed. I don't need them often, but when I do - they are just a phone call away.

AMA - for all it's faults - gives legitimacy to this hobby. Without a national organization, we are just a bunch of guys playing with toy airplanes. Granted, some of those toys cost as much as a new car - but they still serve no purpose other than entertainment for the vast majority of us and relaxation for some of us. AMA does a lot to help the public and especially elected officials view us as hobbiests and sportsmen.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

[/quote]
Although that would be a valid and good question, most would not realize or admit AMA probably would not exist today without the insurance. Many would further extrapolate neither would the hobby exist without AMA. So...the answer would be No for most that gives an answer consistent to their reality.

[/quote]

I have no way of knowing for sure if what you say is true, but I do know 290,000 members of the American Motorcyclist Association and 4,000,000 members of the NRA, don't belong to those orgs. because of liability insurance. I belong to those groups for other reasons.
I probably would belong to the AMA even without the insurance, but it is a nice bonus, IMO.
And why, given the small numbers of members that post here, do you come to your conclusion, if I may ask?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

LCS-

I'll take that bet. I wager the "most" and "many" you are referring would answer YES, that is, "I would belong to AMA even it did not offer insurance.
Actually, I would say Yes and be happier and more supportive as a member, because it then would have to truly be a member organization focused on member's interests, rather than dominated by interests primarily of concern to an insurance company.

Abel
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

LCS-

I'll take that bet. I wager the "most" and "many" you are referring would answer YES, that is, "I would belong to AMA even it did not offer insurance.
Actually, I would say Yes and be happier and more supportive as a member, because it then would have to truly be a member organization focused on member's interests, rather than dominated by interests primarily of concern to an insurance company.

Abel
You got me there Abel. My sentiments are similar.

I guess what I so poorly tried to say is that without AMA's insurance there would probably not be an AMA to belong to...At least that is my opinion from what I have gathered from those that are much more knowledgeable than me about AMA’s nose dive in the past. Of course, I always reserve the right to be wrong.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This morning another thread has been started that in my opinion is almost identical to this thread ( [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6926238[/link] ). Since this thread has pretty much run it's course and is winding down I am going to lock it up so that there aren't two threads running with the same topic. My only other choice would be to remove the new thread, but I really don't want to do that.

Thread locked.

Ken