Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Historical membership figures?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Historical membership figures?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Historical membership figures?

Now in the last few years unemployment rates have dropped but interest rates are on the rise.
The mortgage market is a mess and home values are sinking.
So people don't have the extra cash to keep flying.
Any mortgage problems, which in reality isn't anything more than mass media hysteria, are the result of people trying to live well beyond their means. Interest rates went very low, and the home builders raised their prices totally beyond realistic values. The younger home-buyers only consider what their monthly note will be at the purchase time, and refuse to evaluate just what next year's taxes will be, future possibility of increased interest, and how an escalating principal will effect them. Mom and Dad gave them everything possible so why should society not now do the same?

Home prices are like everything else, they do depend on supply and demand. Funny story this past summer: several years ago some young couple bought a house in the DC area for $250,000. They put it up for sale this year at, if IRC, some $600,000. (Probably to make a killing on current IRS-IRC license-to-steal for personal home sale [8D]) To make it short, after only getting offers to about $450,000, they wanted to sue the government because they could not get what they wanted. DA all the way!
Analyze that they probably had a note of some 1300-1500 per month of which some 80% was interest, deductable from taxable income, they probably had no more than 75,000 invested over the 3 years, thus netting some 250,000 return-on-investment, a figure that would make any stockbroker a very popular person.

Looking closer I see something that I can't explain.. when unemployment is up so is membership..
Simple thing. People always have the funds for toys or likes. Have you ever known anyone without a job give to up smoking, drinking in the local pub or his/her toys?
Even way back in '71 when I opened my Hobby Shop (Aero Sports) in Mount Prospect, IL, I was talking to Al Fuschin, Al's Hobby in Elmhurst, and I passed on that due to the slow-down at that time I was probably very dumb. Al said that during economic slow-downs, his business was always at the peak, since people found money to support their toys, but when working, they had problems finding the TIME! Incidentally, when Aero Sports opened, both the two main LHSs of the area, Al's and Stanton's in NW Chicago both stated that their business increased for the better.

Making things available to the public can be better for business. As Jim Thomerson so states, AMA keeps themselves Hidden. For years AMA has depended upon the clubs to be their sales force. Well, the instant-gratification society, the internet, and mass supplier advertising in those magazines that do not feature AMA as a needed organization, all contribute to the simple fact that AMA Must come out from under the bed. I don't now see that happening. []

Unfortunately, IMO, and, PLEASE LET ME BE WRONG, the newly elected AMA Pres. has been sitting on the AMA Ex. Council for a couple 3 year terms, and I find nothing in his voting record that evidences he will make any significant business changes.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I think membership might be tied closely to global warming. [8D] I don't think I'd try to read too much out of short term fluctuations in membership levels.

But, Hossfly, I do remember as a kid riding my bike down to Al's hobby shop quite a bit, long ago when I lived in Lombard. I don't remember Aero sport, but do remember Stantons... didn't really get into RC till about 1978 though. Sorry to get off topic...
Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see your point about not being up in arms and proclaiming the sky is falling over what's happening with membership numbers, but I don't think it's just a normal fluctuation. It happens for a reason, and if you want to do something about it you need to know why. I don't call a 20,000 member reduction in an organization that only has 150,000 over a five year period a slight fluctuation or anomaly. I'd call it a trend.

Over the last 14% of an organization's history it has lost just over 13% of it's members. Maybe it is just a normal fluctuation... why don't we sit back, do nothing, and find out?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duck-
Exactly. Perhaps if we get some lotto tickets it will all work out ok.

Remember folks, we are talking about ways to RECOVER the membership level drop rather than to GAIN membership. Other than getting our FF & Ruber guys to stop getting visits from father time & the reaper, what can we do to stop folks from leaving. We are losing thousands, that is thousands more than the hordes of new recruits each year, and they arent all going 6' down. What will we do about that.

.... I mean besides stopping folks from telling members they dont like to quit AMA.
We lose enough folks as is, do we really need a HateSquad of guys telling folks to stop sending checks to Muncie.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
Unfortunately, IMO, and, PLEASE LET ME BE WRONG, the newly elected AMA Pres. has been sitting on the AMA Ex. Council for a couple 3 year terms, and I find nothing in his voting record that evidences he will make any significant business changes.
Hoss you served in the military, you should know that when a great leader takes the helm it might not take more then 7 spoken words or less from his mouth to make the difference between a win or a loss in battle. The AMA needs nothing more then someone with great leadership skills and a man that can present himself well to not only the people he's fighting for, but the people he's fighting against.

Oh an in regards to the "business change". Well last time I looked the AMA was profitable and has about 20 million in assets. And they do this even when the numbers are on the decline. So what real "business change" are you looking for? Are you looking to drive AMA into the red, that would be the only change it could go? The bottom line numbers do the talking, not a single expense for a membership benefit. Actually I think Dave Brown deserves a lot of the attaboy's for the clear financial standing of the AMA, problem is that I think he was too focused on that factor. But he certainly is handing over his Presidency in EXCELLENT economic standing from a business aspect. The financial statement is rather impressive and the most recent one is the only one that counts.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:27 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron S:
But, Hossfly, I do remember as a kid riding my bike down to Al's hobby shop quite a bit, long ago when I lived in Lombard. I don't remember Aero sport, but do remember Stantons... didn't really get into RC till about 1978 though. Sorry to get off topic...
Hey, it's "historical" so OK with me, but that doesn't count!!!!

Aero Sports folded in about '77. Mostly sold out to D. Phillips, Venture Hobby in Wheeling, who I actually helped get started. My partner rather chase girls in Chicago, and I wasn't having much fun either, running the store, flying for UAL, and commuting to fly in USAF Res. in Pittsburg. Within a couple years I gave up the Reserve and the HS. Then it took me to 1PM to get past my second cup of coffee on the 15-18 days, month I wasn't flying for UAL each month. Got Lazyeeee!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Sideport

Being a member of AMA for over 50 years (my membership number is in the 17 thousands). I find sscherin's graph, and his question "looking closer, I see something I can't explain. When unemploment is up so is the membership" very intersting.

I at one time ask the same ask question. An oldtimer gave me an explanation that has proven to hold up to the test of time.

He stated that most of the people in our hobby are professional,salaried,and skilled trades. When times are good they work long hours, and have less time for the hobby. When we are in economic down times, they generaly have the same disposable income, but have more time for our hobby.

Al
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
KidEpoxy

But that leads to the question of whether the healthy income folks quit AMA when they go back to work later. Are we thinking that while they are working hard they are not members, they dont have time to fly so they dont join when business is booming... but after a stint of slow economy they will drop AMA when they are busy again?

Or is it more like the gym membership / stairmaster that busy folks buy but never use, cause they are busy after all. All kinds of folks buy excercise equipment in lieu of actually exercizing, but the money is spent.

btw, is Pizza Delivery a trade skill? [8D]
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

But that leads to the question of whether the healthy income folks quit AMA when they go back to work later. Are we thinking that while they are working hard they are not members, they dont have time to fly so they dont join when business is booming... but after a stint of slow economy they will drop AMA when they are busy again?

Or is it more like the gym membership / stairmaster that busy folks buy but never use, cause they are busy after all. All kinds of folks buy excercise equipment in lieu of actually exercizing, but the money is spent.

btw, is Pizza Delivery a trade skill? [8D]
I'm still trying to figure out what a professional, salaried and skilled worker looks like.

But in regards to pizza drivers as a skilled trade ... I figure if you can deliver a pizza in less then 25 minutes while drunk, without the cheese sticking to the top of the box, with one shoe tied, dressed in drag, and carrying enough money to give back the right amount of change, with a baby strapped to your back, then yes, I'd consider that a skilled worker, but not a trade.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:17 PM
friz
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

1997 149,700
1998 152,565
1999 157,331
2000 165,365
2001 170,754
2002 173,420
So what was going on these six years that changed and resulted in a complete reversal over the next five years? Anything?
Yes, real modelers are dying off faster than they are being replaced. Check the membeship in almost any organization - it is the sign of the times - whats in it for me as opposed what can I contribute.

Define "Real Modeler"? Wow how can this organization get any more elitist. You guys are just upset that people are flying and having fun outside of your club, and not "paying dues" for it.