Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Will the PPP help or hurt existing clubs retain fields?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes-PPP will help existing clubs
31.43%
no-PPP will hurt existing clubs
68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Will the PPP help or hurt existing clubs retain fields?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will the PPP help or hurt existing clubs retain fields?

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl
Why we can't just see all fliers as part of our hobby, is beyond me.

I'm with ya Glacier.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
KidEpoxy

I'm with ya Glacier
I'm with ya P51
Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

I'm with ya Glacier
I'm with ya P51
You know I'm in!

four in a row...a new record!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I agree to! Our club welcomes and helps anybody who shows up with something to fly, no matter what it is. If everybody did that a
PPP would not have ever been proposed. To late now?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
flynavy

[:'(]I would like to put in my two cents woth. I've been around the hobby of model aviation for many years. Radio control if I may respecfully remind people is just part of it. The original purpose of AMA was to organise all those intersted in model aviation to share that interest and share the commradrie regardless of it being rc,free flight, control line or just a good old dime store chuck glider. This commraderie is also regardless of age , sex ,race, or religious beliefs. The point I'm trying to make is, regardless of our own personal choices, we share the same basic love of all things that fly. Why can't we all back up a minute and think about what we are doing and what it is affecting. Regardless of what program we have or have not, we must in order to guarantee the future of model aviation put our best foot forward and welcome anyone who seeks help and is willing to abide by the rules AND support the organisation and keep alive that common bond, the love of aviation FLYNAVY
Old 01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: flynavy

[:'(]I would like to put in my two cents woth. I've been around the hobby of model aviation for many years. Radio control if I may respecfully remind people is just part of it. The original purpose of AMA was to organise all those intersted in model aviation to share that interest and share the commradrie regardless of it being rc,free flight, control line or just a good old dime store chuck glider. This commraderie is also regardless of age , sex ,race, or religious beliefs. The point I'm trying to make is, regardless of our own personal choices, we share the same basic love of all things that fly. Why can't we all back up a minute and think about what we are doing and what it is affecting. Regardless of what program we have or have not, we must in order to guarantee the future of model aviation put our best foot forward and welcome anyone who seeks help and is willing to abide by the rules AND support the organisation and keep alive that common bond, the love of aviation FLYNAVY

flynavy,

I agree with you wholeheartedly except for the All in your statement. AMA is for those that wish to have AMA’s brand or perception of the hobby experience...for others...they may wish to fly 200 pound scale cubs or whatever...I support their right as well...not just the confines of the AMA class.

AMA is and should be just another facet of a great hobby.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM
k3 valley flyer

Flynavy you are right on, most clubs and fields could accomadate almost any of the segments of the hobby, we even get along with the heli and 3d guys! But usually at most clubs and most fields we end up seperating into groups by interest. Maybe the park flyer guys deserve their own fields and AMA guidelines, but is a two tier membership plan the only way to do it?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: flynavy

I agree with most everything you had to say, except for the highlighted part. Not that I think supporting the organization is a bad thing by any means, but it should not be a precondition for entry into the hobby/sport.
I do welcome anyone who seeks help getting into model aviation, and have done so for decades. When I read about the Park Pilot Partner Program, my immediate reaction was "that's for me." It is basically a list maintained by AMA of members volunteering to assist newbies in their area. On further digging, I learned that non-members cannot access that data base. The parochial mentality of AMA management shoots another foot bullet. This could have been an opportunity for clubs to make newbies aware of their presence and concerns, promote and further model aviation, and expand the base of potential members to recruit from.
No thanks AMA. The means it would provide to connect experienced modelers with newbies would certainly be an asset, but I'll rely on chance encounters rather than have my aid to new modelers restricted to AMA members only.

Abel
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
flynavy

[>:]To those that responded to my last post I thank you for caring enough to let your feelings be known. I feel this ia a heathy thing todo, but ,words are just words unless you back the up. Supporting the organisation was intended to mean your local club. That "support " is by being the example by wich all other club members are guaged. Being helpful willing to assist a new member practicing good saftey proceedures ,making sure his area is left in a better condition than it was before. In other word this is the kind of person you want the PUBLIC to see. As for exclusions,as one of you pointed out, I'm not in the ama's back pocket, so don't get me wrong,you can't please everybody all the time the people who make these decisions have reasons that we may not have any idea of the connection. Iknow myself my pet peeve is the way the insurance works, the one size fits all senario makes me uncomfortable, maybe have one fee for sport flyers and anotherfee for competition oriented flyers. Here again there may be a justfiable reason why it is the way it is. And if you feel you have a better way, and feel strongly enough about it I would be happy to stand behind you in your run for office that way the guys doing the job right now could get a rest and have fun flying. If there was any kind of guarantee that from one district to another, every body would without fail abide by a code of conduct, then we would not need thse fine people who have to listen to our cries of injustice. Flynavy
Old 01-27-2008, 11:57 AM
k3 valley flyer

The AMA now wants volunteers of regular dues AMA members to be "Park Pilot Program Partners", this could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing. Go help several PP guys and try to get them into your existing club or help them start a AMA PPP club. Problem with that second one is they may end up competing you with the same govt agency providing your field now. Can hear the debate now, faomies are quiet and safe, those gasers are loud, dangerous, and even pollute! Pretty soon no glow or gas planes on "public" property, but we sure helped those PPP guys, thanks AMA. Sometimes the status quo ain't so bad. Long term "regular" AMA clubs will have to buy or lease private property for their fields. PPP is just one more nail in the lid of the coffin of club fields on public property.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

My vote, unfortunately not on the list, is no effect at all on existing clubs. Since this option isn't listed, I did not vote, but I believe is the correct answer.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

The AMA now wants volunteers of regular dues AMA members to be "Park Pilot Program Partners", this could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing. Go help several PP guys and try to get them into your existing club or help them start a AMA PPP club. Problem with that second one is they may end up competing you with the same govt agency providing your field now. Can hear the debate now, faomies are quiet and safe, those gasers are loud, dangerous, and even pollute! Pretty soon no glow or gas planes on "public" property, but we sure helped those PPP guys, thanks AMA. Sometimes the status quo ain't so bad. Long term "regular" AMA clubs will have to buy or lease private property for their fields. PPP is just one more nail in the lid of the coffin of club fields on public property.

Well thought out k3.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
The Toolman

As I've said in another thread, The people pushing this and a few others have an ulterior motive behind this scheme or they wouldn't be pushing it so hard. Certain people stand to come out with a greased palm and/or favors if this deal suceeds, an thats why they push it so much on here.

Ronnie
Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

As I've said in another thread, The people pushing this and a few others have an ulterior motive behind this scheme or they wouldn't be pushing it so hard. Certain people stand to come out with a greased palm and/or favors if this deal suceeds, an thats why they push it so much on here.

Ronnie
Its also funny how they seem gunho on pushing the PPP since it is oriented to electric only, but don't show the same enthusiasm for AMA in general.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
KidEpoxy

Problem with that second one is they may end up competing you with the same govt agency providing your field now. Can hear the debate now, faomies are quiet and safe, those gasers are loud, dangerous, and even pollute! Pretty soon no glow or gas planes on "public" property
valid concern
may not happen everywhere, but it wont happen nowhere
Old 02-23-2008, 02:00 AM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

This is a no win question/poll--opinion, etc...
HURT/HELP EXISTING CLUBS...PPP scares me. Why? Who is to educate these people on where they can and cannot fly? Not all locales will allow the use of any type R/C model in parks. Will the LHS let these people know that AMA is required, permit required? Some will, but my guess is most will not. Then after numerous violations the govening body may want to take away an established flying site(just like my right to smoke-no vote taken), just because they can. I say, if it is R/C, one place fits all. I can say that cause we have had gliders, C/L, foamies, electrics, giant scale, helicopters and sport aircraft flying all at once. Cool. No problems. If you got it, fly it!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think the PPP will have any effect on the ability of current AMA clubs to hold onto their fields. It has nothing to do with current AMA clubs holding on to their fields.

Just found this discussion. Pretty interesting. However I think a number of people have missed the point of the program:

THE AMA PARK PILOT PROGRAM - Just in case you have not actually read the details of the program
http://www.modelaircraft.org/parkflyer.aspx

The program is for pilots who are not interested in larger planes, glow planes, gas planes or jets. If you are primarily focused on small electrics, electric helies or small gliders, this is something you should consider.

In addition, the AMA is looking to help form Park Pilot clubs and help those clubs establish Park Pilot fields. These clubs would be focused on flying park flyers and would not be open to gas, glow, jets or large planes. As a result they can be located in smaller fields and potentially in places where regular AMA fields have been rejected or cast out.

Flying Site Development:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/UserFil...iteBooklet.pdf

The AMA is encouraging the development of new, officially recognized AMA Park Pilot sites in metro areas throughout the US. The goal is to make it easier for official AMA recognized flying sites to be developed quickly and in great numbers.

In addition, the program is intented to reach out to the pilots who have been turned away by AMA clubs or who have been turned off by traditional AMA clubs. Now the AMA can help you form your own clubs around the kind of flying that interests you, parkflyers.

It should have no impact at all on current clubs holding thier fields.