Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What is the biggest issue for the future of RC Model Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Retention of flying fields
68.03%
Growing AMA thru programs like PPP
2.72%
Radio technology
3.40%
Politics-restrictive govt policies for environmental or economic reaso
25.85%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

What is the biggest issue for the future of RC Model Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:52 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the biggest issue for the future of RC Model Aviation

Vote and explain why.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What is the biggest issue for the future of RC Model Aviation

O None of the Above.

As Edmund Burke so stated: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." "Never despair; but if you do, work on in despair." "No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."

RC modeling needs National Organization or it will be like any other unorganized activity. Small groups here and there with no real direction. The AMA has lost the ability to bring concerned members together, or determine any useful direction.

The AMA membership is very good with the "DO NOTHING". When opportunity knocks the door down, the AMA Member will simply exit through the window and "DO NOTHING."

Therein lies the future of AMA. The membership refuses to take control of the organization and become proactive in the selection of proactive top management. Members expect AMA to do everything for them on an individual basis rather than do for themselves, or work for group action. The elected management is no longer responsive to a non-productive membership and has already become a puppet rubber stamp of the employee staff.

I have previously predicted that AMA will see significant change in its organization by around 2012. It may be later however AMA's future as a member organization, promoting model aviation and protecting members is no longer there.

01/23/08 Thread: "It's that time again: Chance to make a Change!" What did YOU DO to help make a change? No responses to that thread as of this posting.

edited to add about national organization.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:35 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Good answer but the poll is about "future of RC Model Aviation" not about the future of the AMA. Thank you for the reply though.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

Good answer but the poll is about "future of RC Model Aviation" not about the future of the AMA. Thank you for the reply though.
That is why I included the note:
>>> "RC modeling needs National Organization or it will be like any other unorganized activity. Small groups here and there with no real direction. The AMA has lost the ability to bring concerned members together, or determine any useful direction." <<<<

Without a viable AMA, RC Model Aviation has NO FUTURE ! [>:] Any subject worth discussing will exceed one short paragraph. In that respect, when the given choices are inadequate, then one must be adequately adaptable to originate different choices.

You're welcome.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Live Wire

Hoss
You have a profound way of exspessng your self. Now what do you really think is going to happen With all that is taking place will flying fields be avaliable to the PPP that have less insurance, than full members.

Spelling
Old 01-27-2008, 07:18 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest issue for RC -is this forum and running out of things to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We all seem to agree the main threat is loss of flying fields. Lets face it... we're having fun. Any time one group of people are having fun, another group will move to stop the activity. Thats just human nature. The mechanism normally used to shut the activity down is either moral (and I can't see a threat there) or "For the greater good". That threat has to be safety. Two or three fatal traffic accidents, touched off by some one flying an RC plane into a busy road, and we'll have an issue that could threaten our very existence. Or, restrict us so severely we will suffer a lessening of our activity. Thats the threat; and we should be looking at our options and response now. JMHO, and your mileage may vary. Thanks; Ernie P. [8D]
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I voted for retention of flying fields because as more and more development in the
real estate sector takes place rc fields are being lost.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
The Toolman

More bikini clad girls at Pro Bro fly-ins...

Ronnie
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I feel that the issue of restrictive governmental issues will come to the forefront in the coming years. The EPA has already gotten involved in the smalll engine industry as well as in other recreational areas (boating is large in this). I firmly believe that our engines will come next, and if you think that the electrics will be ignored, you are mistaken. I think that audible issues will come next, and some of the electrics spin the props so fast that they are just as loud as a glow or gas powered model.

There are those out there who enjoy killing anything that appears to be fun, as long as the venue is geared to something to which they do not participate. These issues work hand in glove with losing the flying fields. I don't think that you can separate the two issues. The AMA probably won't be able to stop the issues that are at work here, nor will educating the masses.

As far as the general population is concerned, we are no different than the skateboarders who aggravate the population with their antics in public arena's such as shopping malls, and public parking areas. We are taking up space and making noise where softball fields and soccer fields could be built, and would serve a larger segment of the population. If you think that this is not true, ask your local Parks Director. You will probably get a verbatim answer that is much like what I just posted.

Add to that the EPA's scorched earth method of doing things, and you leave all of us out in the cold.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same thing as with shooting ranges and motor sports:
Developments close in and suddenly somebody notices that you are doing stuff that makes noise in their neighborhood.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Of the choices I think it is actually a combination of the first and last choice, loss of flying fields and restrictive communist government.

Of course, I agree with Toolman that the real issue is the need for more bikini clad models at all fly-ins.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

As far as the general population is concerned, we are no different than the skateboarders who aggravate the population with their antics in public arena's such as shopping malls, and public parking areas. We are taking up space and making noise where softball fields and soccer fields could be built, and would serve a larger segment of the population. If you think that this is not true, ask your local Parks Director. You will probably get a verbatim answer that is much like what I just posted.
True, but you see more and more dedicated skateboarding areas being built in public parks, which are certainly growing at a much faster rate then RC sites. I think the AMA is aware of the situation in which parks can be generous, when there is a group of people who show a passion in their hobbies. Skateboarders are very passionate about their hobby, they risk their lives much more then we do to enjoy their pastime.

As far as the noise, yes the prop is just just as loud, however there is no engine to increase the overall noise level. I've heard both 100" WS aircraft flying side by side 1 electric and 1 gas and you can't even tell me the electric model is even close in noise level.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dion,

I refuse to get into an argument with you. I know what I have heard with my own ears, and the electric that I heard was spinning a prop very hard, and it was very noisy.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: stl

As far as the noise, yes the prop is just just as loud, however there is no engine to increase the overall noise level. I've heard both 100" WS aircraft flying side by side 1 electric and 1 gas and you can't even tell me the electric model is even close in noise level.

Weren't there two pattern contestants at the Nats this year that were disqualified due to the noise level of their planes? Both electric powered as I recall?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
rcmiket

"The biggest issue for RC -is this forum and running out of things to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That should have been included. Then I could voted.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM
linkadrip

I voted Retention of Flying fields I had a nice field to fly at and flew there for a year. Then i lost it and have no were to fly now[&o] and the local flying field that was here is gone to now.[]
Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Crewcut

Retention of flying fields. No place to fly. No flying.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the economy. The housing crisis, layoffs, wage cuts, erosion of benefits, medical costs, high energy costs, dwindling savings and inflation = less disposable income. The last thing people suffering from these things are going to buy is an expensive toy. Not to spread doom and gloom, but unfortunately these are real issues that impact all hobbies.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the economy. Layoffs, wage cuts, erosion of benefits, medical costs, high energy costs, dwindling savings and inflation = less disposable income. The last thing people suffering from these things are going to buy is an expensive toy. Not to spread doom and gloom, but unfortunately these are real issues that impact all hobbies.
Hillary ... is that you?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My biggest problem is spending all my money to keep the Stockmaket afloat, refinance all politicians, send more money to support burning Corn in our gas tanks. Send more money to help KOOKS stop anything that is a existing sport.

As you see, there is no money for helping people who are Booted out of a job, making sure a repeat criminal stays in jail, a witnessed mass murder is not murdered for HIS crime.

All these things might affect how important I think modeling really is.

Cyclops, is biased in his views, because he only has 1 eye.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM
cutaway

The last thing people suffering from these things are going to buy is an expensive toy.
A lot of modeling happened during the great depression. It is only as expensive as one chooses to make it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: cutaway

The last thing people suffering from these things are going to buy is an expensive toy.
A lot of modeling happened during the great depression. It is only as expensive as one chooses to make it.
Zackly ... plus rubber power is more fun then RC anyhoo.

Plus the fact that the economy isn't as bad as the press wants it to be. I think a lot of the media is mad because Craigslist and now Kaango is giving all their business away for free.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Mode One

I don't feel the four options above touch on the single most important issue for the future of R/C Model Aviation, which I feel is attracting the youth to this hobby.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mode One has it right.

There are very few local groups in each town / city that can find enough adults that do any outdoor sports / hobbies the way they did 40 to 50 years ago.

Weekends were always busy at KEPT UP ballparks. Ball games, running around, swings, games of tag/ hide & seek, flying small kites. Lunch at the tables. Free Flight, hand gliders, U C--you control the plane on the end of 2 steel wires.

What towns in N J still have week ends like that.
ALL SUMMER, with people from infants to feeble old people.

We do not live like the USA did for 20 years after WW II.

Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.