Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Where's Bozo? >

Where's Bozo?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Where's Bozo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Where's Bozo?

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf
ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield
1) the "brains" have to be AMA members.
2) they have to do something that would justify them becoming leader members.
3) they would have to be nominated to run in the next AMA elections.
4) they would have to win the election.
We saw what happened when one of the "brains" met 3 out of 4 of the above criteria.
Other than that, no problem.
IMO I think the above quoted post was a pathetic attempt by Red to cloud, divert and deflect the main thrust of this thread but since AMA's business is more and more being directed by the paid staff, this post begs the questions;
1. Does JC's position require AMA membership?
2. Was JC ever a leader member?
3. was JC ever nominated for any position within AMA?
4. Did JC ever win any election within the AMA?
1. Does JC's position require AMA membership? DUN'NO'. He flies models every so often on the site. Could look it up but ain't gon'na'.

2. Was JC ever a leader member? Dun'No'. Dun'care.

3. was JC ever nominated for any position within AMA?
I remember seeing his story way back before he was hired. Rather impressive but don' 'member if AMA stuff was there or not. He was very experienced as I recall because he never stayed with any one job very long. Yep, very experienced in many areas.

4. Did JC ever win any election within the AMA?
YEP THE BIG ONE. He was elected by the Executive Council to be salaried and bonused Executive Director. More power and control than any 7 EC members. Money and Power: Now HIT jest don' git no better, no way, no how! jes' jokin' of course. [sm=lol.gif]

Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My MA came today. I read JC's comentary and thought it was well written and thoughtful. His thesis is that clubs, particularly those flying on public land, need to be proactive on PR. He mentioned a couple of things which could be bad for a club. One being a newbie flying in an inappropriate and dangerous manner in some public place, thus giving all of modeling a bad name. Another being a club acting snotty to the wrong people and costing themselves a flying field. Both those kinds of things have happened and will happen again in the future. We need to take care of our public image for our own benefit. Does your club do this?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good reply. Well stated.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
My Feedback: (58)

"The development of the park flyer type of aircraft, and the ability of a nontraditional RC pilot (newbie) to go out anywhere space is available, have counteracted the positive public relations efforts of organized clubs. the new flyer has likely never heard of the AMA Safety Code, doesn't think twice about flying in unsuitable areas, and often performs antics that would make any club safety officer's blood boil."

This type of PR will never work.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM

Drama; at High Noon. Gotta love it.

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM

"... flying in an inappropriate and dangerous manner in some public place, thus giving all of modeling a bad name."

And just who is promoting the idea that the general public modelers are unsafe?
Oh, right, the ED of the AMA is with junk like.

"The development of the park flyer type of aircraft, and the ability of a nontraditional RC pilot (newbie) to go out anywhere space is available, have counteracted the positive public relations efforts of organized clubs. the new flyer has likely never heard of the AMA Safety Code, doesn't think twice about flying in unsuitable areas, and often performs antics that would make any club safety officer's blood boil."

Maybe if the AMA were to stop telling everyone how bad flying model planes is to the public welfare,
we wouldnt see so many places believe the AMA's talk about how bad model fliers likely/often/outright are.

Perhaps the best way to promote all aspects of aeromodeling
would be to NOT go around telling everyone how bad modelfliers are.

As for antics to boil SO's blood-
not too many years ago we were talking about folks safety blood boiling over about the horrors of shooting PaintBalls at RC planes..... and how did that turn out? Or the boilings of TailTouching/No-TainTouching/TailTouching, seems that has an on again off again safety horribleness. And of course lets not forget the pre2008 threat of toy plane fliers thinking they dont need the full $58 insurance of AMA..... and presto, 08 says they dont.
And more recently we see FPV flight that was a blood boiler previous years
be welcome with open arms this past year.
Seems the only antics that Muncie condemns but but doesnt boil blood is breaking the PPP rules
<I guess those rules were meant to be broken, unlike bloodboiling Paintball>

To Recap:
Who says flying model planes is likely a bad thing <with exeception for AMA members>?
AMA is the one promoting the public fear of aeromodeling likely being bad.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

If anyone here could point us to some examples (one won't do, it would take a few to make it a trend) of "non-traditional RC pilot"(s) counteracting the "positive public relations efforts of organized clubs", I'm sure we all would pay attention.

Anyone? Mr Cherry?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 PM

I recall the guy who flew the plane into one of the University of NM's buildings. It broke a window and injured a girl. He was arrested and went to court.

I'm sure there are many more examples.

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: 804

If anyone here could point us to some examples (one won't do, it would take a few to make it a trend) of "non-traditional RC pilot"(s) counteracting the "positive public relations efforts of organized clubs", I'm sure we all would pay attention.

Anyone? Mr Cherry?
Actually I have seen the opposite.

Hard to understand how the little parkflyers are so intimidating and damaging to the "real" modelers. It seems our hobby and enthusiasts would jump at a chance to share the fun...not just mess in the mess kit.

Maybe a special incentive for clubs to persuade municipalities to allow other parkflyers and hobbyists to use the public resources without any affiliations other than being a citizen would be a great asset. On second thought, having people enjoying model aviation without paying toll (tax) to AMA is a foreign thought to many...

Denigrating our brothers is definitely not the answer.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

I recall the guy who flew the plane into one of the University of NM's buildings. It broke a window and injured a girl. He was arrested and went to court.

I'm sure there are many more examples.

Frank
Yea, but he was an AMA member wasn't he?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM

I don't believe so. At least he said he wasn't. But a guy dumb enough to do that, might not tell the truth anyway.

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 04:09 PM

You know what type of game might be a lot of fun?

We could scour the internet and our friends to find as many accounts of Non-AMA flying disasters or near disasters. Then see if we can match those to an equal or greater number of AMA disasters or near disasters.

That should help the hobby out immensely.

Ready...set...GO!
Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM

RCG is littered with stories like that. Seems the e-powered crowd likes to "push the limits." Not sure about RCU which is primarily gas/glow. (appears to be anyway)

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 PM

I heard it SW a Park Flyer that took out those two satellites a few weeks back. Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 04:25 PM

"Was" sorry computer is having a bad day.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:30 PM

I heard the pilot was an AMA PP member...is that right?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Found that thread I was talking about.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660525

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 06:01 PM

Thanks. That was a good read. I particularly liked the ignoramus type statement; something to the effect (paraphrased) "Non-AMAers have a much worse record since they care little about safety".

Where do those records exists? BTW rhetorical...

BTW most every AMA flying site I have ever been to had the potential of serious incidents as well...some worse...some better...AMA's insurance can/may protect your financial assets but does not prevent the pain of an injured innocent person if things go wrong. Look around your flying field and hypothesize how things might go wrong...be realistic...I could tell you about many AMA incidents as well...Does that help?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:07 PM

What are you saying Frank?
That the guy was being one of those "doesn't think twice about flying in unsuitable areas" kinda guys JC was lamenting,
if he was flying where after a "few seconds" of motor on while out of contriol it hit class room.

Right? Flying that close to classrooms is unsuitable?
Have you guys actually Satalite Googled the school field that Vegas Aces flys at?

Apparently the wrong way to do it is to just fly at schools and parks,
while the right way is to send $29 to indiana and THEN fly at those schools/parks/universties.

You probably passes one on your way to work.

I'm not kidding, gander at the satalite shot of Robert O. Gibson Middle School, Las Vegas, Nevada
Is that where the guys JC was talking about should fly their Strykers or foamie classwindow breaking whatsits?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Now, now Kid, that is not nice...you know it really is about paying the Tax...we should all pay the AMA toll...or... no hobby for you! Hmmm...reminds me of an eposode on Seinfeld.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks. Later on I asked him about his court case and he said he got off on a technicality. I suspect he was very lucky. I'm sure he could have paid a lot of out of pocket expenses if found negligent. Not to mention giving the hobby a bad name.

He then tried to sell his crashed plane on ebay because it was "famous" from being on TV. He bragged about it in the ebay ad.

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks. Later on I asked him about his court case and he said he got off on a technicality. I suspect he was very lucky. I'm sure he could have paid a lot of out of pocket expenses if found negligent. Not to mention giving the hobby a bad name.

He then tried to sell his crashed plane on ebay because it was "famous" from being on TV. He bragged about it in the ebay ad.

Frank
That's cool.

Accidents happen all the time...you never can tell... you might be riding a motorcycle in a place you had previously and run to a pipe some idiot put up. Gotta be careful as well thoughtful of others. Enough of this silliness already... I think. Don't you?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Frank
I read through the first page. It's a textbook example of exactly what Cherry was talking about.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 PM

The actions of one always reflect on the many.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 AM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

Frank
I read through the first page. It's a textbook example of exactly what Cherry was talking about.

It's certainly good that nothing unfortunate like that ever happens to "traditional" rcpilots, particularly AMA members, or at an AMA events.

Oh wait, maybe it does:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743851

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743727

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.