Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 reasons for use of landfill >

reasons for use of landfill

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

reasons for use of landfill

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reasons for use of landfill

I am trying to get use of a landfill in Columbia County,GA for a flying site.They own it and the land around it with no houses.
I have emailed the manager and he forwarded my letter to his supervisor.I did not get a yes or no from the manager.Waiting for a reply back from his supervisor.
This is my first attempt of getting a flying site and chartering a club if I get use of the landfill.If I am asked why Columbia County should let me/club use the landfill,what are reasons I can give them to improve my chances of getting use of the landfill.What has helped your club obtain use of a flying site.The more reasons the better. I have already printed out the Charter Club info,Recommended RC Flying Site Specifications and the Application for Insuring Flying Site Owners.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: reasons for use of landfill

Tell them you are going to put in a putting green along with the flying site. That should cinch it.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Tell them you are going to put in a putting green along with the flying site. That should cinch it.
Have not thought of that,but would probably work.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: P47Tbolt

I am trying to get use of a landfill in Columbia County,GA for a flying site..........what are reasons I can give them to improve my chances of getting use of the landfill...........................

Thanks

Look in your AMA magazine, towards the back near the competition calendar and the district reports. I can't recall the name of the person, but his only duty is to help people aquire and retain flying sites. He would be the expert you need to talk to.

Rafael
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Have a program to teach children about aviation. Maybe go to schools or youth groups. Underprivileged kids are the best for publicity. Show the politicians how your group benefits the rest of your society.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
My Feedback: (162)

Hi

You should really have a plan. Kinda like a business plan. Put together a presentation from the beginning to the end. AMA should be able to help you with this. Draw a diagram of how you would lay out the field. Explain the operation of an AMA chartered club. List the improvements you would make to the land. Include possible benefits to the community and its members. These days they, (gov entities) like to see this stuff. Plus it would be a good road map for you. Just my thoughts.

Vince AMA 7051
Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
My Feedback: (58)

I have already printed out the Charter Club info,Recommended RC Flying Site Specifications and the Application for Insuring Flying Site Owners.

Thanks
Be sure to point out the potential for bringing out of town visitors that will need lodging while they visit the flying site. Cities love the revenue that out-of –towners can bring.

Also point out how the flying site and club will engage young people and give them something to do as well. At every chance try to make this something for the community and not just something for you or your club...find ways to allow people to enjoy the site regardless of membership to your club or AMA. In the long run all will be better served.

Unfortunately due to previous DA blunders, our city ordinance bans flying model airplanes on city property... so one of the things our club pushed hard for was to allow electrics that are 2 pounds and under fly at our field without need to join a club or AMA. Now people come out to try the electrics and soon join our club and advance to the more demanding models. Our flying field is alive and model aviation is growing...now if you do not want to share this hobby with others I would not take my advice and do as many clubs usually do and start figuring the best place to put the gate and lock.

Good luck either way.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: vpresley

Hi

You should really have a plan. Kinda like a business plan. Put together a presentation from the beginning to the end. AMA should be able to help you with this. Draw a diagram of how you would lay out the field. Explain the operation of an AMA chartered club. List the improvements you would make to the land. Include possible benefits to the community and its members. These days they, (gov entities) like to see this stuff. Plus it would be a good road map for you. Just my thoughts.

Vince AMA 7051
That is what I am looking to do,I just needed more ideas to put into a presentation.Ideas I have not thought about
or came up with.I have the AMA basic field layout already.This will give them an idea of the field,flight line and size of flyover area.
The landfill is 2750 ft in length and over 1000 ft wide.So it is more than enough flyover area.
Ideas with the community,instructing young people,bringing in revenue,land improvements,etc...great replys guys.

Thanks Roy

Old 08-13-2009, 03:08 PM

I think the idea of putting a flying site on a landfill just stinks....

Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Contact this fellow:

Joe Beshar - Administration - Flying Site Assistance - Eastern Region (201) 261-1281 - [email protected]
Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Contact this fellow:

Joe Beshar - Administration - Flying Site Assistance - Eastern Region (201) 261-1281 - [email protected]
That's the guy I was referencing.

Rafael
Old 08-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

good one!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Contact this fellow:

That's the guy I was referencing.

Rafael

Yep, I was just making it easy for him with all the contact info. The AMA, with Joe at the head, has worked out with the US EPA a program for converting landfills to flying sites. SO he is a great contact.

My glider club has recently started flying on an old landfill in Encinitas, CA. A nice arrangement that works for everyone.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: dhal22

good one!
Actually just the opposite here. One of the clubs I belong to is right smac dab in the middle of an old landfill. I have a good nose and never once smelled anything foul. I thought the same thing when I joined....this is gonna stink. Turns out they know what they are doing when it comes to covering trash.

Kevin
Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Our local club has been building a new flying site at an old city landfill for about a year now. As for construction, you'll need to have a contact with your states Dept. of Environmental Quality as they are more than likely the ones you'll need to appease first.
The major issue with old landfills is methane gas. In our situation, the landfill has been dormant for nearly 30 years with a "cap" of red sand/dirt that is supposedly between 3 and 5 feet deep (atop the garbage). The first issue was with moving dirt for the construction. You can bring in FILL dirt, but you are not allowed to CUT any of the existing cap. They probably will not allow you to "penetrate the cap" with things such as power poles, and without a doubt you will not be able to build an enclosed structure on the site due to the methane gas issue.
So once you get approval from all those involved, you'd probably want to have a topographic survey done of the area in order to find the best location/orientation of your runway/flightline/parking and access road(s) that will require a minimal amount of dirtwork (read FILL) yet provide adequate drainage of the site.
Also, don't be surprised when you find the area to be particularly "spongy". I can tell you that in about 6 months of using a 40' x 40' area for our open area "shed"which is a pitched roof on 4 corner posts that are in 55 gallon plastic drums filled with sand (remember the penetration issue?) the ground has settled just from walking and congregating in that area and has required us to add fill material to keep it from holding water.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 AM
My Feedback: (5)

That has to get 5 stars!
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok I can't resist..

If you pile one in so hard it digs a hole you don't need to dig it out, just cover it with dirt... It will eliminate the need to take it home and throw it in the trash That being said I hope it works out for you.

I think the local landfill here was supposed to be turned into a small ski and sledding site when it is full...
Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

I have already printed out the Charter Club info,Recommended RC Flying Site Specifications and the Application for Insuring Flying Site Owners.

Thanks
Be sure to point out the potential for bringing out of town visitors that will need lodging while they visit the flying site. Cities love the revenue that out-of –towners can bring.

Also point out how the flying site and club will engage young people and give them something to do as well. At every chance try to make this something for the community and not just something for you or your club...find ways to allow people to enjoy the site regardless of membership to your club or AMA. In the long run all will be better served.

Unfortunately due to previous DA blunders, our city ordinance bans flying model airplanes on city property... so one of the things our club pushed hard for was to allow electrics that are 2 pounds and under fly at our field without need to join a club or AMA. Now people come out to try the electrics and soon join our club and advance to the more demanding models. Our flying field is alive and model aviation is growing...now if you do not want to share this hobby with others I would not take my advice and do as many clubs usually do and start figuring the best place to put the gate and lock.

Good luck either way.

We had an open club and the County wanted a gate and a lock on the old land fill!?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the clubs I belong to did the same thing. We set up a plan with Joe Beshar's help and presented it to the county board.

One fact that Joe gave us was this:

Out of 150 (random number but close) landfills that were asked to be turned over to model flying clubs, the number actually turned over was, you guessed it, 150.

All of them are now R/C flying fields.

Joe's a good guy. Tell him I said "Hey".

Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 AM

Hi- I am trying to do the same thing. Get in touch with Joe Beshar of the AMA. He will direct you to the right people who will intercede on your behalf.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Hi- some of these sites can be EPA cleanup sites!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a landfill next to our field and this thread has reawakened my interest about obtaining permission to use for gliders and slope flying. I guess it's time to get with Joe Beshar and figure out who actually owns it. It has been inactive for only a few years so there may be a delay. Who knows.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 PM

Ok, my friend and I are thinking about trying to convert an old landfill into a club. Would it be better to talk to AMA first, or to talk to the Minnesota Polution Control Agency which ownes the landfill first. We don't have a club yet, but I know of at least 3 people that would join it for sure, I am sure that there would be more. Thanks

Jon
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM

I just talked to Joe, he is a good guy, he gave me some good guidence.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 PM

I Just found this post and I may be able to help if you are still interested. I sent you  a private message.

Derek</p>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.