Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA FEE INCREASE 2011

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA FEE INCREASE 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA FEE INCREASE 2011

My homeowners has a $1,000.00 deductible, the way I see it is that it takes 17.24 years of AMA dues to cover the $1,000.00 the AMA WILL PAY before my homeowners pays.

Brad
Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

My homeowners has a $1,000.00 deductible, the way I see it is that it takes 17.24 years of AMA dues to cover the $1,000.00 the AMA WILL PAY before my homeowners pays.

Brad

What's the liability limit on your homeowner's policy?

Also, consider that if 100% of your annual AMA dues goes to insurance (which it does not) that the coverage costs $0.002 per benefit dollar.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM
bradpaul

My point is that the AMA pays first (up to the deductible), the HO pays second (up to the policy limit), then AMA pays the excess (up to $2,500,000).

And you are correct the insurance portion of the AMA dues is a minor component.

Brad
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Muroc1
Does any of those issues state that there will be dues hikes in 2011?
Frank

No, not directly, yet as I plainly indicated, within the two issues there is information alluding to the author could well have such an idea of a future AMA member dues increase, yet it is stated not to happen in 2010.
First you gave away one issue, now you have given all away. That is your business, and none of mine. However, as you profess to "Grow the AMA" I find it rather suspect when you fail to make yourself aware of all that is happening within the management of AMA.
Many years ago, in a city where I was stationed at the local USAF base, there was a race for city mayor. The incumbent had been alluding to the need for a property tax rate increase. The new guy promised no TAX RATE Increase should he win. I conversed with some of the natives, and all thought he was saying no tax increase. Well, they never listened to those trying to explain the use of the words, tax RATE, and they elected the new guy. Within a year he had reappraised all properties by almost 100%. Tax RATE stayed same but taxes almost doubled. [sm=greedy.gif]

Frank, everything is not cut and dried statements. If you wish to be informed about management thinking, it is in the bits and pieces found here and there plus those things NOT said, rather than what is directly said.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
jayman618
My Feedback: (5)

I am proud to be a part of the AMA. Dues and fees are increasing everywhere. Look at your car license fees, doctor and hospital co pay fees, other club and professional fees to name a few. We enjoy this hobby because AMA does what we can't by ourselves. They represent us. Our interests before government authorities like the FAA, FCC, State and local authorities, as well as many others. They teach educates and promotes our interests in flying. They provides us with so many freedoms that we couldn't get by ourselves. Not to mention the magazine, insurance and other benefits.

If they need to increase the dues they will. To serve the membership as they always have.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Many good points and arguments to be made on both sides of the fence.

For me the the one positive that gets us the biggest bang for the buck is the fact that the AMA is our voice when it comes to issues dealing with
the use and regulation of our models. If for some reason the AMA "disappeared" in the near future, especially before any / all new rules for
CONUS UAV flights are firmed up, we could all find ourselves flying nothing more the E-Flite 4 sites (not that there's anything wrong with that
if that's your bag).

I spend more on a couple of good digital servos then I do on AMA and club dues and will continue to support both.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
TBONE6

AMA membership = $58.00 yr. = $0.15 per day.......is this really a topic for discussion? 
Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

when did "air space" cost money??
Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Hinckley Bill

Not quite sure what you mean.............?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Saillfish
My Feedback: (17)

Go ahead and cancel your AMA if you have nothing to loose. Such as home, life savings, cars, college fund etc. Have one of your airplanes come down on anyones head at 70 mph and see how many friends you have when the sueing starts. You think your home owners is going to cover the millions your going to be sued for? Hit a kid in the park. You think a 2 or 3 lbs park flyer doing up to 50mph is not going to maybe kill them. Think again. Go ahead and cancel and let me know how that works for you when God forbid that happens to you. Not trying to be rude. Just trying to make you think about it.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Hinckley Bill

Sadly if that situation were to occur it's likely that the injured party or their relatives would "reach out and touch" anyone and everyone that they thought in any way, shape or form had the ability (read deep pockets / insurance) to make them whole..............model manufacturer, engine company, park/private land where the incident occurred.

That in turn would cause more pain and suffering for the entire modeling community, as manufacturers are forced to exit the business, parks or public areas will no longer allow any flying on their property (AMA insurance or not), and on and on and on.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

Sadly if that situation were to occur it's likely that the injured party or their relatives would ''reach out and touch'' anyone and everyone that they thought in any way, shape or form had the ability (read deep pockets / insurance) to make them whole..............model manufacturer, engine company, park/private land where the incident occurred.

That in turn would cause more pain and suffering for the entire modeling community, as manufacturers are forced to exit the business, parks or public areas will no longer allow any flying on their property (AMA insurance or not), and on and on and on.

Interestingly enough, at least in the cases of which I have personal knowledge, this has not been the case. In those cases neither the radio maker, engine manufacturer, airplane manufacturer, or anyone else except for the pilot were named in a lawsuit. Even the land owners were excluded.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Does any of those issues state that there will be dues hikes in 2011?
Frank

No, not directly, yet as I plainly indicated, within the two issues there is information alluding to the author could well have such an idea of a future AMA member dues increase, yet it is stated not to happen in 2010.
<snip>
Hoss,

Maybe allusions to to that effect in yet a third issue will be the charm........

The minutes of the last (Oct '09) EC meeting make passing mention of a possible $10 dues increase. Surely Muroc1 can find that..........there is also honorable mention therein of hisseff'........I'm guessing...........could be another Frank in the Dist that gained the favor of AMA big wheels.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Hinckley Bill

Who does and doesn't get sued is all dependent on the situation, plaintiffs, defendents, etc., etc., etc., but in general when all else fails if the actual "at fault party" has empty pockets there's always the temptation to look around to find someone with change jingling in theirs.

For me and my family it's not worth the risk.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:26 PM
ottertail7
My Feedback: (18)

What do I get for my dues? Oh thats right an expensive magazine. Its just like throwing the money out the window. If only there was a club to fly where I didnt need AMA.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: jayman618

I am proud to be a part of the AMA. Dues and fees are increasing everywhere. Look at your car license fees, doctor and hospital co pay fees, other club and professional fees to name a few. We enjoy this hobby because AMA does what we can't by ourselves. They represent us. Our interests before government authorities like the FAA, FCC, State and local authorities, as well as many others. They teach educates and promotes our interests in flying. They provides us with so many freedoms that we couldn't get by ourselves. Not to mention the magazine, insurance and other benefits.

If they need to increase the dues they will. To serve the membership as they always have.

Well said.

AMA dues is pretty darn cheap in my mind. I just wish my HO and car insurance was just as cheap.

Frank
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Well said.

AMA dues is pretty darn cheap in my mind. I just wish my HO and car insurance was just as cheap.

Frank
[/quote]

Well said yet again.

If I'm worried about a $58 a year fee, or a $75 a year fee...then I'm in the wrong hobby.

The county permit I have to buy is $35 a year. So I can fly at forest preserve fields. People who bring their dogs out have dog permits. People who fish have fishing licenses.

I can't expect to have a model airplane flying field and pay nothing for it. It's not an entitlement.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley
Hoss,
Maybe allusions to to that effect in yet a third issue will be the charm........

The minutes of the last (Oct '09) EC meeting make passing mention of a possible $10 dues increase. Surely Muroc1 can find that..........there is also honorable mention therein of hisseff'........I'm guessing...........could be another Frank in the Dist that gained the favor of AMA big wheels.

Thanks much for that reminder, cj. I had forgotten that little note,

AMA Public Records, AMA web site. Bold added.

>>>>>>
...Discussion included creating incentives for members to renew when they get their notice; it is common practice in some clubs and associations that have an ‘initiation fee’ that if a member does not renew by specified date they must again pay this initiation fee; AMA spends over 16k sending out second renewal notices; it was recommended to institute a penalty if a person does not renew by a specific date, or raise the dues by $10 and if a member renews by the established date they pay $10 less. T. Stillman will chair an ad hoc committee that will draft a policy for Council review at the January EC meeting. The President recommended finding additional committee members from outside of Council; the committee will work with the membership department on this policy.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
shamac29
My Feedback: (9)

sorry, had to comment

i am a home owner and have insurance. I also have ama because it is required to fly at my field and i am grateful for it, because i know that half of the members dont have homeowner policies to fall back on.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

Well said yet again.

If I'm worried about a $58 a year fee, or a $75 a year fee...then I'm in the wrong hobby.

The county permit I have to buy is $35 a year. So I can fly at forest preserve fields. People who bring their dogs out have dog permits. People who fish have fishing licenses.

I can't expect to have a model airplane flying field and pay nothing for it. It's not an entitlement.

I never thought of it like that before. Good point.

Frank
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: shamac29

sorry, had to comment

i am a home owner and have insurance. I also have ama because it is required to fly at my field and i am grateful for it, because i know that half of the members dont have homeowner policies to fall back on.
No reason to be sorry. Comment away if you wish. Another good point.

Frank
Old 01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Buzz Kill
My Feedback: (220)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not the time to increase costs for a freaking hobby!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM
skipperwayne

When IS the time?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
bipecraz
My Feedback: (40)

Who cares if it goes up... I've got a lifetime membership & it NEVER GOES UP..
Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Zero Pilot
My Feedback: (3)

How do Uknow what Your Property tax bill is till U open It ... I'll Bet it's the same with the AMA ... But don't forget the land Owner isn't covered by Your Individual home owners and if U fly on private land on a non sanctioned field, I dare U to ask Your Land Lord if he is covered if U kill some one on his property ... I'll Bet U won't to get to finish out the day flying on his property ... the only way to get around this is for the club to incorperate and own your own land ... This was by the advice of a lawyer we consulted. Just my Opinion but would U risk driving with out auto insurance? a million dollars for $58 or what ever they ask seems like a great deal to me and I only have to buy it ONCE for as many clubs or anywhere I wish to fly at in North America ... not just the Good O'l U.S. of A. Again this is just my openion

Zero Pilot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.