Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 AMA EC, Tony Stillman, and Ethics? >

AMA EC, Tony Stillman, and Ethics?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA EC, Tony Stillman, and Ethics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA EC, Tony Stillman, and Ethics?

Good bye everyone! The bias is too much here. I will not return!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:02 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

Looks like the sharks are in a feeding frenzy here and now RCKen has contacted Dave and Jim demanding answers.
Frank,
Please do not put words in my mouth. Iin now way said that Iwas "demanding" answers to this issue. Ihave simply contacted them and brought this thread to their attention.I did this because Ifelt that this issue was serious enough that they may want to respond to the issue that have been addressed here in this thread. Whether they respond is entirely up to them. But that in now way comes close to my "demanding"answers. Ihave done this because while we may not have huge numbers that post here in this forum, we do have very large numbers that read this forum without ever posting (numbers that are definitely larger than some other forums online). Because of those numbers reading this forum Ifelt that the AMA leadership may want an opportunity to address this issue in a timely and accurate manner.

Comments such as "demanding answers" do nothing but cause more problems in an already heated debate and I would politely ask that members refrain from making such false accusations in the future. Thanks.

Ken
Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

Disclaimers.
1. Yes I'm a moderator on RCU but have no priviliges in this forum, here I'm just another AMA member with an opinion.
2. I'm friends with Tony.

That said, I found out about the appointment the same way most everyone else did, the email press release.

So this is my question...
ORIGINAL: jship

In all this, the AMA wonders why membership is declining!
What would the hiring process for a flying site coordinator have to do with membership numbers? Half probably don't know we have a flying site coordinator, of those that remain, 90 percent of those don't know or care how they get hired.

I would think you could sum up a membership decline in two words. Crappy economy.
With a minor contributer being the average age of the membership and the lack of an influx of youth.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So Frank, you don't think Tony should have excused himself from the hiring process?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:55 AM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

Looks like the sharks are in a feeding frenzy here and now RCKen has contacted Dave and Jim demanding answers.

The important thing is, what were the qualifications of the other candidates compared to what Tony brings to the table? Perhaps the other guys were not qualified to do the job. Or maybe they wanted too much money and the AMA couldn't afford their salary. Who really knows for sure? Until we know the qualifications of the OP's candidate, we should hold off on the public stoning and give the benefit of the doubt that the right man was hired for the job. Which is what we should be concerned about in the first place.

Frank

The question posted wasn't whether or not "the right man was hired for the job."

The question that was asked was whether or not Mr. Stillman should have recused himself from either the hiring board or from job candidacy due to there being a basic conflict of interest.

I for one am interested in reading the answers to the questions.

I would also like to know if, now that he has accepted the paid position, he will be stepping down from his role on the EC.

Edited to correct a spelling error...there are probably others though...
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he did not know he was a candidate? Maybe he was not a candidate until all the interviewees had been interviewed
and rejected?

Mike
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Just can't help but wonder why stones are being thrown here and this concern isn't being discussed at the “official†AMA website forum.

Even though it really is only one click away... it would likely facilitate an explanation... I am still a hold out, as there may actually be a good reason...but it does look bad and the silence is making it look worse...a few words from Tony could dispel all this negative stuff real fast.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: P-51B
I would also like to know if, now that he has accepted the paid position, he will be stepping down from his role on the EC.
He has, in an E-mail to all the district V members and other media.

Regards
Frank
Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

Regards
Frank

Well, that at least is good.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Regards
Frank
I guess it is only ethical that he stepped down...but does it really matter...well maybe... District V will be void of the “district savior†as wobblyflight put it...who will replace him???what will be the consequences...oh, wait...as the world turns...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Regards
Frank
I guess it is only ethical that he stepped down...but does it really matter...well maybe... District V will be void of the “district savior†as wobblyflight put it...who will replace him???what will be the consequences...oh, wait...as the world turns...
Jose Soto as been apointed by Tony as his sucessor to fill out the remainder of his term. D-V normal election is scheduled for this year.

Regards
Frank
Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
My Feedback: (67)

Hey, his company can repair any radio. That's what is important, now ain't it? Does it really matter who does this stuff? Everyone has the opertunity to go for the gusto. Look at osama, I mean obama. He is doing the same thing only taking your hard earned money by the barrel full. I don't see any crying here about that!
Old 05-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm probably the loudest member here in District V. I'm personally glad that Tony's work has been rewarded. After the Jim McNeil debacle, most anyone would have done better, yes, even ol Wobblyflight. Tony did a great job turning the District around. We in the South East owe him a lot. Tony, thanks for all your work.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 PM
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

I dunno, but I been thru lots of hiring processes where you could not find someone who actually really knew the job, nor how to do it, and you eventually just went back to the inside and found someone who could. Maybe that is what happened.
Absolutely agree! Been there, done that....
Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I do not know Tony, I am sure he is fine man. I do not know who would have been best qualified for the job without reviewing all of the resumes, and comparing them against the qualities and qualifications that were needed for the position. What I know is what was stated at the beginning of the thread.

The questions shall remain as they were first posted.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Questions:

1. Is it ethical to take part in the candidate selection process if you yourself are a candidate

2. Did the EC pollute the selection process by allowing Tony Stillman to take part in the candidate selection process

3. Is it ethical for this to occur, does it knowingly give Tony Stillman inside information concerning the other candidates answers to interview questions and allow him an advantage

4. Was the EC responsible for notifying the other candidates that one of the interviewers was also their competition for the position

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

OK. my thoughts on your questions.
1. It is quite possible Tony did not know he was/may be a candidate. You have assumed he knew at the beginning of the interview process he would be a candidate.
2. Same as #1, did the EC know Tony was/may be a candidate?
3. If Tony was not a candidate in the original pool, no ethics were violated.
4. If Tony was not a candidate in the original pool, how could the EC notify other candidates the one of the
interviewers was a candidate

Your basic assumption that Tony was a candidate from the beginning of the interview process has not been validated! As an employee of an international company for over 40 years, I can assure you, many times we found the most qualified candidate as a part of the initial search committee. Bottom line, no one on this forum knows if Tony was the most qualified candidate for this position, regardless if he was part of the original pool. I don't know Tony personally although he did visit our club and he did help us with our new flying field.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM
My Feedback: (202)

Correct me if I am wrong here ( that is like an invitation to flies on a turd! ) but the AMA is an Organization and not a Corporation. Under the definition of "business law and ethical law" there is a big difference as to what is, and is not, allowed within the two. Maybe what took place here is perfectly legitimate given the circumstances. Yes?...No? I guess this post is a question rather than a statement.

"A one-eyed man in a blind colony is king!"

SPEEDY
Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Claiming ignorance is always the best alibi.

What are the odds that he was ignorant of his candidacy from the start?

About the same as trying to sneak a pork chop past a wolf?

This is something that only an AMA insider would know.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Court of public opinion has convicted the AMA and the EC already without knowing the facts?

Seems like Tony was the best man for the job. That's why he got hired. Why all the drama?

Frank
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Frank,
Please do not put words in my mouth. I in now way said that I was ''demanding'' answers to this issue. I have simply contacted them and brought this thread to their attention. I did this because I felt that this issue was serious enough that they may want to respond to the issue that have been addressed here in this thread. Whether they respond is entirely up to them. But that in now way comes close to my ''demanding'' answers. I have done this because while we may not have huge numbers that post here in this forum, we do have very large numbers that read this forum without ever posting (numbers that are definitely larger than some other forums online). Because of those numbers reading this forum I felt that the AMA leadership may want an opportunity to address this issue in a timely and accurate manner.

Comments such as ''demanding answers'' do nothing but cause more problems in an already heated debate and I would politely ask that members refrain from making such false accusations in the future. Thanks.

Ken

Good one Ken. How does this "important issue" rate you contacting AMA leadership personally over all the other threads/topics that are posted here?

Thanks for the chuckle.

Frank

PS That's really a rhetorical question. No need to answer.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM

speedy-gonzales is on to an important point, taking it a step further think of the AMA as a fraternity, why would you get mad at anyone for getting a job taken care of, a position filled, or a project completed within that fraternity, it ultimately frees others up to do other things, ie build and fly.  Even though the postion is paid, unless the interviewees were promised the position or paid for it (like the Illinois gov trying to sell Obamas senate seat or something...), which are unethical things unto themselves, its a twisted perspective to claim foul.  Worse yet, I get to see this behavior in church with people saying unchristianly things about so and so because that person did such and such with church funds.... you get the drift.  My mom was always pretty hardcore and these behaviors usually were followed by a predictable spanking.  Ok, now bend over...
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Frank, what makes you so sure he was the best man for the job?

What are your facts?

What do you think entitles you to question Ken's reasoning for contacting the AMA?

Isn't that usually your patented advice?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 PM
My Feedback: (202)

CBP,
You are absolutely correct with your right to question as to having the best person for the job but being the best person for the job is not an entitlement. If that was the case none of us would have a job! I am not choosing sides here just offering perspective.
Hey...did you ever come up with anything faster than that wimpy 200+ mph SD? Man I can still hear that audio of your engine coming up on the pipe in my head. PM me if you want.

SPEEDY
Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Fact is both sides of this debate have no information to back up their arguments, the only people that can supply the answers seem not to be doing so. Silence on a subject like this just feeds the negative, because it looks like you have something to hide.

Like a lot of folks I am not in a club because of politics like this. So sorry for the guy that said "crappy economy" is the reason the AMA is declining I will counter with the ability to (thanks to the internet) of exposing issues like this the public folks get to see how petty the AMA politics can really be and choose not to be involved.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

CBP,
You are absolutely correct with your right to question as to having the best person for the job but being the best person for the job is not an entitlement. If that was the case none of us would have a job! I am not choosing sides here just offering perspective.
Hey...did you ever come up with anything faster than that wimpy 200+ mph SD? Man I can still hear that audio of your engine coming up on the pipe in my head. PM me if you want.

SPEEDY

SPEEDY, Honestly, I had the exact same thought earlier....if the best man had every job, where would I be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.