Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 TAXES, TAXES, TAXES >

TAXES, TAXES, TAXES

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

TAXES, TAXES, TAXES

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TAXES, TAXES, TAXES

This thread could get ugly. But, I agree. when your taxed nearly 40% of your gross income to Fed and State from your paycheck it's out of control [ not to mention you have to pay more tax when you purchase anything on top of that ] . [&o] MM
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Has there been an official AMA response since the letter was sent up the chain?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Tell ya what fellers, I've read this an the other thread where everybody keeps insinuating(sp?) that Hoss is lying or something about this tax. So far I can not see anywhere that Hoss is lying or at fault. Top gumm, you just seem to want to keep the noodles stirred up as far as I can tell.
Hoss has probably did more for the RC airplane hobby than any 25 of you ama suckups put together. So I'd get off his azz if I was you!

I don't come here much anymore because I have another hobby with ol' coots that DON"T call each other liars an argue on every post/thread, so I'll wander back over there for awhile..............[8D]
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope nobody has taken anything I said as implying that Mr. Cain was lying about this tax, or anything else. I have said that he was mistaken. There is no federal tax on the purchase of liability insurance. This has gone on and on because of a series of posts by someone else, misrepresenting what Mr. Cain said in an apparent attempt to make my statements about Mr. Cain's post look inaccurate. Why that person even got into the discussion is unclear to me; why he keeps repeating untrue claims that anyone can easily check by looking at Post # 1 in this thread is a real puzzle.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Mistaken ????[X(]

You saying he was mistaken that his club got that letter?
Was he Mistaken that he sent it to the EC?

Lets do these one at a time

TopGunn, yes or no-
Did the club get a bill from, and cut a check to the IRS?

you want to say Hoss is 'mistaken' when he 'claims' this.... yet it is SO easily verifiable with a call to the club or d8 DVP
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM

"You really don't enhance the persuasiveness of your case by making up facts."

you slighted Hoss' integrity,
I told you where you can verify everything Hoss said,
and now you are slighting my integrity

What is your goal here,
the truth only requires you to make a call,
or do you just want to attack folks
Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for keeping this question in play.

I just sent the Jetero Treas. a request for any additional information concerning this item. I expect an answer only after her daily job is completed.

Back in MAY:

Jetero's Treasurer performed her part about the subject.
My DVP passed on to the AMA Staff the question.
The Staff person took up the subject.

(EDITED here to place info. closer to the application. hdc)

Here is a partial quote of a "copy to" as sent to the Jetero Treasurer back on 06-02-10.

>>>>>>>>>>>

"Hi Beth,

I am the Comptroller at AMA and I was forwarded a copy of a post on our forums regarding the IRS taxing the insurance we provide to our clubs. Would it be possible to email or fax me a copy of the notice you received from the IRS?

Thanks for your help.

Craig
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Whatever has transpired in the past 2&1/2 months +/- I have no information about at this time. Perhaps if anyone wishes to pursue this, then I suggest such anyone contact his/her DVP or write to [email protected]

SINCE I HAVE NO INFORMATION OTHER THAN AS PRESENTED, NOR DO I CLAIM TO BE ANY PERSON'S FIC TAX ADVISOR, THEN IF ANYONE HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE INFORMATION THAT I RECEIVED AND PASSED ON HERE, I STRONGLY SUGGEST SUCH ANYONE PURSUE AN ANSWER OUTSIDE THIS FORUM AND/OR THREAD.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM

and now you are slighting my integrity
Not really. At first I did think your problem involved integrity, but now that you have kept repeating the same misrepresentations even though anyone interested can easily compare your version with the actual post, I suspect that your problem is something else. (And, to repeat, I have never questioned Mr. Cain's integrity, though I did complain about his passing on a rumor as "fact": that was an honest mistake.)

You have repeatedly misrepresented what Mr. Cain said, in an attempt to make my description of what he said look wrong. To take one example, you said this:

"He was also clear that he wanted muncie to get to the bottom of it"

Look at Post No. 1. Where does he say that? All he says about the AMA is that perhaps they should warn their clubs about this tax, a tax he describes as if it were fact (a "fact" he got from his club treasurer). Nothing about asking if this tax is real. Nothing about sending the letter to his DVP (in a later post, he says that his DVP contacted him, not vice versa. I believe he did eventually forward the letter to his DVP; that doesn't change the fact that in his first post, the one I was talking about, he did not question the existence of this supposed tax in any way.)

In short, everything I said about Mr. Cain's post was accurate. You have said two inaccurate things about it, and you have repeated these inaccuracies even after your error was pointed out.

I don't understand why you jumped into that thread in the first place. But what's really bizarre is the way you keep repeating untrue statements. And why on earth should I "make a call" to anyone. The "truth" of this tax story isn't in question: there is no federal tax on buying liability insurance.

I am not going to continue discussing this matter with you. It's clear enough to anyone who wants to compare what you said with Post #1 that you have repeatedly mis-described it. Raving about "integrity" can't change that. So rave on.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM

17 minutes between your attack on KE and my post with information up-to-date on the subject. Are you just a low typer (I am so very slow) or just not accepting the latest info?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 PM

17 minutes between your attack on KE and my post with information up-to-date on the subject. Are you just as low typer (I am so very slow) or just not accepting the latest info?
I'm not really "attacking" KE; I'm just objecting to his claim that I misrepresented your first post in this thread, even after I pointed out that his descriptions were wrong. Am I missing something? Did your original post raise doubts about whether this tax really existed? Did it say that you were going to send a letter to your DVP? Did it ask Muncie to "get to the bottom of this"? Or was I right in saying that your only mention of the AMA in that post was to suggest that they should perhaps warn clubs about the existence of this tax?

As for your up-to-date information, unless I'm missing something the information is that there is nothing new to report. In other words, nobody has heard of this tax, so far as we can tell. No surprise there; there is no federal tax on buying liability insurance. There never has been a federal tax on buying liability insurance. I'd like to think that there never will be one, but the way things are going these days, I won't commit myself on that one.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM

who claimed recently that the federal government was now taxing the purchase of insurance.
thats what this is about
You made that slight of Hoss,
and have been rec-arg trying to spin it into some semantics discussion of what I said when I called you on your unfounded attack.

Its about you slighting Hoss,
and dancing around pointing at everything except that you were call on a false slight.
ALL of this could have been avoided
if your reply to me telling you all Hoss' claims can be easily verified by AMA folks... if you just said
"Oh, nevermind then"

But no,
you want to get into semantics over some details buried in my posts. Posts trying to get you to face the truth about what YOU started with the above quote. Maybe I was mistaken over Hoss sending it to the DVP vs sending it to some other AMA guy... but that has no bearing on your original slight of Hoss. Even after you got called on it, you try to spin it with changing your meaning to Hoss Was Mistaken. No, he wasnt mistaken. You were, are, and continue to dance around in your mistake.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:27 PM

1. Original post: Post #1: 5-31-10. Only stated that this was something I was completely unaware of. Strictly informational for the benefit of any club that may have received a like IRS notice. If so then AMA could enlighten us. Or even a SMART tax advisor if one had appeared with some knowledge either way. None did!

2. My Post #3 06-02-10: AM 3rd day later
Just received a note from my Dist VIII DVP. He is checking into this. Like me, he had never heard of such. I have found some references on the net, but nothing definite.
That should have alerted even you that the DVP was notified

3. Post # 4, 6-02-10 bkdavy shoots questions that I had already stated that I knew nothing about! He asked about the "landowner". My first post last paragraph stated, "....on the club-owned land and facilities..."

4. Post # 5, same day: I answered another bkdavy ?.
The tax is on the insurance provided by AMA. It is not a question of the Club's income. You can find that there are limits on any 501 (c) other than (3) where the tax exemption fades when income exceeds certain levels over and above member dues income. Check the code.
Yes, if you wish to know those items not concerning the subject topic, go get 'em. I don't owe that to you or anyone else.

Same Post #5: Included is my statement: "So would I. The AMA Comptroller has requested a copy of the IRS' letter from the Club's Treasurer."
How do you think the AMA Comptroller got that notice? Could it have been from me to DVP to AMA Comp.? WOW that took brain power.

6. You go on to say, "I hope nobody has taken anything I said as implying that Mr. Cain was lying about this tax, or anything else. I have said that he was mistaken."

The only thing I could have been mistaken about is that I did not have a clue about such, and still don't except what happened in my club. The other stuff you concocted, top? gunn, is all in your own mind.

TG's Post # 35 08-20-10
tg: As for your up-to-date information, unless I'm missing something the information is that there is nothing new to report.
Man. if because something is missing, then it doesn't exist, I certainly am glad you were never my tax advisor (I never needed one) or any kind of advisor. If you travel by airlines, I also hope that the man in the front left seat has a bit more common sense and ability to put the puzzle together than anything you have demonstrated herein.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Good Morning!

I wish to let everyone know the insurance tax I have paid was from the Texas Comptrollers office, The club had purchased
a out-of-state insurance, They paid taxes on up until 2007. this was the insurance through AMA that was 60.00 a year and the insurance that was purchaed on Horace who owned the land at the time. In this state if you purchase a insurance policy that is
out-of-state they will tax you. Also they had failed to inform the Texas Comptrollers office they had cancelled these policies. So
they had to pay 2007-2010 and 5.00 a year in penalties.

I hope this will put the insurance tax topic at a rest

Beth
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanx for the supplemental info.
Seems pretty clear there is indeed a tax on insurance.

So,
we are back to post #1
Where Hoss told us about an insurance tax his club had to pay
and he ended with
Perhaps AMA just might forewarn all clubs about this tax.

Scary!
Well, yeah.
Perhaps AMA might just forewarn all clubs to pay attention to how their states handle this.
Something as simple as shooting an emeil to all clubs, or maybe a paragraph in Someones Column in MA.
After all, not only are some folks unaware of this tax, but some folks choose to disbelieve the tax when its talked about.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM

From post 1:
>>>>
"I learned that even though we are a non-profit organization since we do have insurance on the club or if we have insurance on the land we have to pay the IRS tax on it. Lucky us it was only 2.92 per year that we were late I spoke with a gentleman at the IRS who was kind enough to explain a letter we received stating we owed money and he had given me enough time to send a check in. Leave it to Uncle Same to reach in our pocket one way or another."
<<<<

The club was 3 years behind so she has made it right. Had she not pursued the letter from the IRS, they could have foreclosed on the club-owned land and facilities. Perhaps AMA just might forewarn all clubs about this tax.
Now all of a sudden the facts come out it was from the:Texas Comptrollers office

Somebody owes an apology to all the club treasures that were misinformed by this thread.

Brad
Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 AM

This is the letter I recieved

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts

Re: Insurance Tax Report and Payment

Dear Taxpayer

A review of our records show that your Insurance Premium Tax report has not been filed. This is a reminder that this report and any taxes
due under that report were due on 5/15/2008. State Law requires that reports be filed even if no taxes are due.
Please file the delinquent report along with any taxes,penalties and interest due, if any,immediately to avoid further collection action by this office.

If you need another copy of the report, or if you need assistance in completing the report, please call (1-800-252-1387) or (512-463-4600)
Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 AM

I hope the information I have posted has helped.

Mr Cain was telling everyone the truth regarding the tax so please do not be angry with him for trying to for-warn
other clubs. He is just giving ya'll some FYI.
thanks.

Treasurer,Jetero RC Cub

Beth York
Old 08-22-2010, 08:34 AM

but some folks choose to disbelieve the tax when its talked about.
Sigh. Here we go again. This seems to be a sneaky ("some folks") reference to my posts on the insurance matter. Mr, Cain's original post referred to "the IRS" having written a letter and to "the IRS tax," and this triggered a number of posts by various people citing the federal tax law.

My posts said, quite clearly, that there is no federal tax on buying insurance. That's true. I have never expressed an opinion on any matter involving Texas taxes, a subject about which I am content to remain ignorant, as I don't live in Texas. One would suppose that the several Texans who have posted on this would have been aware of the fact that Texas taxes the purchase of out-of-state insurance, but that seems not to be the case.

So far as I can tell, Beth's is the first post on this thread to mention a Texas tax. So who is it, KE, who has chosen to "disbelieve the tax"? Certainly not me.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 AM

removed by me
Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: syork22
State Law requires that reports be filed even if no taxes are due.
I found that out with a $400 fine.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

but some folks choose to disbelieve the tax when its talked about.
Sigh. Here we go again. This seems to be a sneaky (''some folks'') reference to my posts on the insurance matter. Mr, Cain's original post referred to ''the IRS'' having written a letter and to ''the IRS tax,'' and this triggered a number of posts by various people citing the federal tax law.

My posts said, quite clearly, that there is no federal tax on buying insurance. That's true. I have never expressed an opinion on any matter involving Texas taxes, a subject about which I am content to remain ignorant, as I don't live in Texas. One would suppose that the several Texans who have posted on this would have been aware of the fact that Texas taxes the purchase of out-of-state insurance, but that seems not to be the case.

So far as I can tell, Beth's is the first post on this thread to mention a Texas tax. So who is it, KE, who has chosen to ''disbelieve the tax''? Certainly not me.

As I was informed by Beth, when I questioned a specific item. As the person that 15 years ago invested a quarter million dollars for an RC Club to have a club owned facility and has been there when trouble arrives, especially the past five years, as their financial situation has had some "moments" I still keep up with their progress.

Here is how things went:

>>>>>>>
#1. QUESTION: HC to Jetero Officers
"To All:
Just wondering, due to the changes in the Executive Committee and all the situations laid in the laps of the newer individuals, If all the "behind the lines" items have been covered especially the IRS/IRC filing requirements."

#2. REPLY: Horace
I have already filed our IRS taxes even discovered the insurance tax had not been paid for 3 yrs I have resolved this.
Beth York

#3.REPLY: Emphasis added.
"I learned that even though we are a non-profit organization since we do have insurance on the club or if we have insurance on the land we have to pay the IRS tax on it. Lucky us it was only 2.92 per year that we were late I spoke with a gentleman at the IRS who was kind enough to explain a letter we received stating we owed money and he had given me enough time to send a check in. Leave it to Uncle Same to reach in our pocket one way or another."
<<<<<<

So it seems that this whole escapade has happened because there was a bad communication passed using improper terms to describe an event.

Actually Thanks to Top Gunn, the situation is now cleared up. It was NOT the IRS but a Texas thing that caused the uproar. Had TG not been so grouchy, it may well have never surfaced again.

IMO this thread deserves a lock without a key.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

Why aren't the taxes done by a professional? Not picking, just wondering.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

Why aren't the taxes done by a professional? Not picking, just wondering.
No need to as there is almost no requirement for them. We do not exceed the non-member dues amount of income.

Besides with the club accountants having had one on the board since the beginning, 1996, of the new facility, they can take care of it.

Club has had some bad financial dealings last few years. When Mr. "IKE" came over Houston area a couple years ago, it took out the field facilities. Replacement cost over $20,000.00 yankee dollars. Electrics, water, mowing equipment, and land does not come cheap. Only Members try to come cheap.

www.jetero.com for a full look-see of before and after Ike.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 AM

This thread sat Idle for 2 months while we waited to hear what Muncie had to say about the tax.
Did they say something and we missed it,
or are we still waiting?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Iwould like to correct a statement Imade to Horrace, that this was a IRS Tax., it instead was a Texas ComptrollerTax. This is what started the mix up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.