Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Solutions for AMA's membership decline >

Solutions for AMA's membership decline

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Solutions for AMA's membership decline

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solutions for AMA's membership decline

The alleged problem of "We need new members" needs to be replied with "why?" and "what kind?"
Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: mtnmnstr

Most likely said before. But, as a member of the AMA I really do not see anything for my $58. I get a magazine that I have interest in less then 30% of the content. The plans service is a little pricey. Really, the only reason I join is because my club membership requires it. I'm told it covers an insurance issue, But I still have to use my homeowners first. As I write this, I just remembered the the AMA did step in to help save Torrey Pines and place a monument for soaring history. That I was impressed with.
As for introduction to model aircraft we as a club would bring out kids and buddy them up with pilots on our own.

As for what I want to see? I really don't know..Maybe explain to / sell me ''Why do I ''Want'' the AMA?

Just my 2¢
Gene

I totally understand why people feel this way. But really, how long did you pay for car insurance before you used it? I have never made a homeowners claim either, but yet I have to pay it every year. I don't really know if my vitamins are doing squat, but they tell you to take them. I have to say that I would like to give the AMA the benefit of the doubt and think they are using my funds to keep the bandwidth open that we need, but with 2.4, that argument is getting more and more difficult to use. Unlike some, I do enjoy the magazine, so its nice to know that someone is (hopefully) looking out for our interests, and in the meantime, I get a magazine once a month. Do people feel the same way about the IMAA? I never hear that mentioned, but isn't it the same thing? What do I really need it for?

Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

So the AMA is an insurance company?
I thought they helped members , not out to make money off them.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: ovationdave

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I'm thinking that the older crowd is going to be the answer to the AMA losing membership. The very young modelers don't have the disposable income to get that involved in the hobby, while the older crowd pretty much does (at least in this vicinity). Maybe that's the answer.

Bill, AMA 4720

I know as a younger guy (19~20), I tried Cars & Boats and quickly realized that any real organized ''club'' for either was about racing, and the guy with the most $$ went the fastest. I couldn't compete. That is why I started flying. My first plane was a very in-expensive trainer, and I went from there. I then came back, learned to fly @ the club (the ''right'' way), and never crashed my trainer until much later on, when I was already hooked. I guess what I am trying to say is that this hobby is what you make of it, it can be done on a tight budget, or a huge one; it can be competitive or you can be a sunday flier. Either way, I don't think it has to be horribly expensive unless thats what you make it, there are bargains out there if you are really interested in flying that would cost less than a new iPOD. I do agree that the older crowd has more disposable income, but if you really want to fly, you'll find a way.

Dave
Good post. Here is a question for you. Do you think that younger folks really want to fly, or would they want to fly if you could get them interested?

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think they will want to fly. I think a lot of things are considered a lost art, and they will never return, I would hate to see that happen to this hobby. But I am amazed at how many people have never built a plane (not that I want to spark a "build vs. ARF" debate). But I doubt a lot of kids are even exposed to flying to know what its about, and many newer generation flyers will never even build a plane from a kit, let alone scratch build something. Kids used to have to FIND ways to entertain themselves, now entertainment is all around us in so many forms, its not hard to find something to occupy their time that takes a lot less effort. But I am sure I am preaching to the choir here.

A simple agalogy:
When I was a kid, my dad and I used to go turtle trapping and get snappers for turtle soup. Now, that may not be something everyone wants to do, and I will never do it again, but how many kids do you think were exposed to this kind of activity as a sport like fishing? I am sure turtle trappers are a dying breed, and younger kids have no interest in it. My grandmother use to make Czech baked goods which we all enjoyed at X-mas, but after her passing, those recipies died with her, and I am sure many will never be made again (at least in my family) because it was so much work. I think its just the way it goes, and I am afraid that the pleasure I take from the engineering aspect of modeling/building many never be realized by the younger generations. I hope I am wrong....

Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
My Feedback: (2)

We agree on the insurance issue. I understand why we have it. Now AMA is not sold as a insurance company and when that's brought up at the field, It's quickly said that's not the main reason for the AMA.
Just like in all of our lives. We do great things our whole life. One drunken nite and a sheep, It's all over

Maybe it's just the way I'm see'n it here in the west cost.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

What else does a club need besides insurance from the AMA ?

I am dismaided at the lack of people taking up fly fishing with cane rods and hand-tied flies. Why is our fishing club losing members?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: fliers1

ORIGINAL: warningshot

So what is

I realize no one wants to hear about this, but once again, here is the cause of the problem.
http://www.rc-float-flying.rchomepag...instructor.htm

In a nutshell, here is how I've solved the problem, but only locally.

1. Hand the tx to whoever I can get to the flying field.

2. Show them how easy flying RC aircraft really is.

3. Have them land within 15 minutes of the first flying experience.

4. Show other instructors how to do this within 30 minutes.

5. Show school teachers how to fly and then teach RC flying.

All of the above is very easy for me to do.

Fliers1
your plan to solve the problem?
I guess one would have to do something that appears to be so difficult for too many to do....think outside of the box.

Number 4 and 5.

Fliers1
I will ask you again, What is your plan?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is

I realize no one wants to hear about this, but once again, here is the cause of the problem.

Fliers1
I guess one would have to do something that appears to be so difficult for too many to do....think outside of the box.

Number 4 and 5.

Fliers1

Simply put, people from the RC industry will have to come to me so I can teach them this promotion method. It's obvous that AMA volunteer instructors aren't interested, but those with a bottom line might be. They already spend big bucks on ads that aren't working, so why not try something different that might work? Do you have a better idea, I'd like to hear it?

Fliers1
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM

So what is

Fliers1

Number 4 and 5.

Fliers1

Simply put, people will have to come to me so I can teach them this promotion method. Do you have a better one?

Fliers1
Sorry, I thought we were talking of improveing AMA, not promoting your company.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

I am dismaided at the lack of people taking up fly fishing with cane rods and hand-tied flies. Why is our fishing club losing members?
I do that too! Just need more time for fishing! (Sorry, don't want to side-track this thread)....

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63893.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1501278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60641.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1501279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22297.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1501280  
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM

So what is

Fliers1

Number 4 and 5.

Fliers1

Simply put, people will have to come to me so I can teach them this promotion method. Do you have a better one?

Fliers1
Sorry, I thought we were talking of improveing AMA, not promoting your company.
I have no company. You asked for a plan, and I presented it to you. But I'm sorry you cannot seem to connect the dots. More instructors/promoters = more fliers = more potential AMA members.

Fliers1
Old 09-15-2010, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: ovationdave

ORIGINAL: mtnmnstr

Most likely said before. But, as a member of the AMA I really do not see anything for my $58. I get a magazine that I have interest in less then 30% of the content. The plans service is a little pricey. Really, the only reason I join is because my club membership requires it. I'm told it covers an insurance issue, But I still have to use my homeowners first. As I write this, I just remembered the the AMA did step in to help save Torrey Pines and place a monument for soaring history. That I was impressed with.
As for introduction to model aircraft we as a club would bring out kids and buddy them up with pilots on our own.

As for what I want to see? I really don't know..Maybe explain to / sell me ''Why do I ''Want'' the AMA?

Just my 2¢
Gene

I totally understand why people feel this way. But really, how long did you pay for car insurance before you used it? I have never made a homeowners claim either, but yet I have to pay it every year. I don't really know if my vitamins are doing squat, but they tell you to take them. I have to say that I would like to give the AMA the benefit of the doubt and think they are using my funds to keep the bandwidth open that we need, but with 2.4, that argument is getting more and more difficult to use. Unlike some, I do enjoy the magazine, so its nice to know that someone is (hopefully) looking out for our interests, and in the meantime, I get a magazine once a month. Do people feel the same way about the IMAA? I never hear that mentioned, but isn't it the same thing? What do I really need it for?

Dave
Also, it may seem like the AMA is the only game in town. Oh , that is right, they pretty much ARE the only game in town [X(]

The only other game is USAMA which as of yet is not been around long enough to get any battle scars and get established. The thing about car insurance is that there is competition and you can shop around. Can you shop around for an RC airplane org?

Most clubs I have visited, (even visited one yesterday that had same requirements) require the AMA membership because of insurance. Why can't we just show a copy of our homeowners and that satisfy the insurance question to the local club? I do like reading the magazine, but I am not sure I would pay the anual fees to get it. I would just prefer buying a magizine subscription of a magazine of my choice.

I notice from reading the die-hard AMAers posts that it is as if you are committing a sin if you say anything about holding the AMA to a standard or question their practices. I would think all of us would watch any org carefully, especially now days. This does not mean they are doing wrong but that we are holding them accountable to good practices.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Well sir. Showing your home owners insurance just won't get it in some areas of this Nation. You, me or no one else can get home owners insurance in these areas. You may think this is not true. Check with your agent. The problem with forums is there is to many wizards on them. You can ask them anything, just can't tell them nothing. You may call me a AMAer. Maybe that is true. To me, my family and friends. All that is here, is a man. A man without home owners insurance. I do have a lot of pride.
All to easy.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

They need nothing else. They don't even need the insurance. It's being a part of something bigger than yourself or your club. There are some things worth doing and belonging to that yield rewardsother than financial or immediate personal needs.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 PM

if HALF of AMA members dont belong to clubs,
shouldnt solutions to AMA's problem be shouldered by more than just the half that do belong to clubs?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Can we decide if it's a problem or not first?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: koastrc

Well sir. Showing your home owners insurance just won't get it in some areas of this Nation. You, me or no one else can get home owners insurance in these areas. You may think this is not true. Check with your agent. The problem with forums is there is to many wizards on them. You can ask them anything, just can't tell them nothing. You may call me a AMAer. Maybe that is true. To me, my family and friends. All that is here, is a man. A man without home owners insurance. I do have a lot of pride.
All to easy.
Very true, not everyone has home owners indurance. But should those that do be forced to pay for more that they don't need and/or want?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 PM

If you are ever involved in some sort of contact with a law enforcement dude while tooling around in your car. The police person ask for all kinds of papers including your proof of insurance. You might get to tell some judge that you didn't want insurance on your car. He will turn about and do something that you may not like. Shoot we are talking about cars, not model aircraft. Feel sure you will have a answer.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

They need nothing else. They don't even need the insurance. It's being a part of something bigger than yourself or your club. There are some things worth doing and belonging to that yield rewards other than financial or immediate personal needs.
This is the part that can be confusing. What are the rewards of being a part of something bigger (AMA). This would be up to each individual's choice as to whether they define the AMA as something bigger or not and whether there are rewards other than financial. To non AMAers it is much smaller and to AMAers it is bigger.

For more clarity on my stand. As I stated before I am neither for nor against AMA. If anything I lean more toward AMA than I do away from it. I do like much of their learning articles and enjoy the mag at times. I think there is good gain from the AMA overall.

Do I believe it should be mandatory to join the AMA in order to fly my RC planes? Absolutely not. Every one of the four nearest clubs to me require AMA membership in order for me to fly. To me that is totally not cool and I wonder why the clubs force that on you [:@] That is why I imply that they are the only game in town. Those are my choices in the area in which I live and I want to fly, so I pay my AMA dues and my club dues which are about 160$ a year.

58$ is not a bad pill to swallow. That part does not rock me at all, it is the part that the clubs are convinced you must have AMA membership before you can fly RC at their fields. Some of you guys don't have to do that but around the area that I live you do.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 PM

All to easy.
Sir, you have my respect and agreemant that there are many wizards on the forums
Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

If you are ever involved in some sort of contact with a law enforcement dude while tooling around in your car. The police person ask for all kinds of papers including your proof of insurance.
In my state car insurance is mandatory by law. I know of no law that states I have to have insurance from AMA to have a flying club.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Banned

Can we decide if it's a problem or not first?
EXACTLY!!!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Beats me. If his interest in the hobby and model aviation doesn't go deeper than a $100 RTFpark flyer, I would say he would have no reason to go to/join a club or the AMA. In addition I would say the AMA would be wasting money trying to recruit him. Why would a kid that drives a go-cart around his yard be interested in joining the NHRA?
I think this sort of attitude can be part of the problem. Just because someone is flying a $100 arf, doesn't mean they are any less 'into' the hobby than someone that files a 15K turbine.

Why is it thought that one must spend a small fortune in order to be part of the hobby?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM

Simply put, people from the RC industry will have to come to me so I can teach them this promotion method. It's obvous that AMA volunteer instructors aren't interested, but those with a bottom line might be. They already spend big bucks on ads that aren't working, so why not try something different that might work? Do you have a better idea, I'd like to hear it?

Fliers1
Fliers, as I asked before, what is your method? I am interested if it get's people in the air and soloing faster.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

58$ is not a bad pill to swallow. That part does not rock me at all, it is the part that the clubs are convinced you must have AMA membership before you can fly RC at their fields. Some of you guys don't have to do that but around the area that I live you do.

I don't think it is them being 'convinced', I think it is them knowing that the lease they are under for their flying site requires the insurance the AMA provides in order to fly there. It is how the land owner protects themselves. Could a club lease land for a flying site without AMA? Probably, but getting the deal done is much easier when you tell them about the AMA and the insurance that comes with it for the land owner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.