RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11400197-ama-emails-drones-right-fly.html)

DeviousDave 02-22-2013 11:25 AM

RE: AMA emails on Drones/Right to Fly

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

An assault rifle can fire multi-fire/full auto where as the ones being used to hunt are semi auto only.
Sorry but full auto's are illegal except to those with special license. The assault weopens ban is for semi auto only rifles that share cosmetic features with thier fully auto breathern. The newer sporting rifles look more like assault rifles, and hunting with AR-15's, and simi auto AK 47's is becoming more common.

BTW this is off topic so no more.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2141357AAmhPKU

http://www.military.com/entertainmen...-round-up.html

You're wrong about private ownership of full auto weapons. There is no special license to own one, what there is in the way of 'licensure' is a $200 tax stamp on a Form 4 transfer form, AFTER you have either obtained permission from you local chief law enforcement officer or set up a Coporation or Trust that would 'own' the weapon instead of you as an individual.

Machinegun posession IS illegal, the way the law is worded is that having approved transfer forms is a legal defense to prosecution. I have owned a machine gun for a few years, the process is the same as purchasing a sound suppressor, short barreled shotgun or rifle, destructive device etc. The difference between a machine gun and the other items I listed is that in 1986, the .gov banned the manufacture or creation of new machine guns in 1986 (thankyou, Congress) forever. That means there is an ever increasing demand for a shrinking supply because you can't buy a new one or convert a semi-auto without risking prison time. Essentially, what they do is tell you that in order to avoid becoming a felon, that you have to pay a $200 tax, but they won't accept the tax if you try to pay it. The reason for this is that when the law was originally written in 1934, $200 would have almost bought a new car-the Supreme Court told them they couldn't ban the weapons, only tax and regulate. So they did. What we have today is unconsititional and will be challenged before too long. Many things have changed since the Heller vs. DC case-for the first time in US history, the Second Amendment has the same weight as the right to Free Speech.

Now, as far as Drone/UAV's are concerned there are serious Militia implications that need to be addressed. We should be able to fly missions for Militia purposes, same as they do to us.

cj_rumley 02-22-2013 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave
(snip)

Now, as far as Drone/UAV's are concerned there are serious Militia implications that need to be addressed. We should be able to fly missions for Militia purposes, same as they do to us.
Well, if the mission is to shoot down low-flying spy drones in your neighborhood there's one law that demands respect like no other, and that's why I favor using a shotgun over Joe's rifle:

"What goes up must come down"

Sheesh...........most every modeler has been punished under that law, even if they belong to AMA.

cj

Sport_Pilot 02-22-2013 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: joebahl

What's wrong with this flight except for the altitude question? How high would AMA rules allow him to fly?
As high as you can safely fly, unless it is near an aiport, then it is less than 400 feet. Don't let the naysayers get to you.

After you hit a full size aircraft its then kinda to late but go for it.

It's kinda easy to spot a full sized aircraft and fly down and away from it.

Note I said safely. Flying a plane so far away that it is a dot is not safe. Not just because of radio range, but also because it is very difficult to see the planes orentation and distance.

joebahl 02-22-2013 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave
(snip)

Well, if the mission is to shoot down low-flying spy drones in your neighborhood there's one law that demands respect like no other, and that's why I favor using a shotgun over Joe's rifle:

''What goes up must come down''

Sheesh...........most every modeler has been punished under that law, even if they belong to AMA.

cj
I dont own a shot gun ,just the rifle and a 44 super black hawk for home protection .[&o] OH ! and my trusty baseball bat for smaller varments . :D

cj_rumley 02-22-2013 01:06 PM

I dont own a shot gun ,just the rifle and a 44 super black hawk for home protection .[&o] OH ! and my trusty baseball bat for smaller varments . :D

Well, in the interest of safely dealing with spy drones you should buy one.
Then..... I have some doubt that you are really concerned with safety, Joe. It's that pic of your 'sikle that gave me a clue..........I do some off-road riding, but was always skeptical about doing it on streets and highways.
It's like, "tough biker" is aka "organ donor." [&o]

joebahl 02-22-2013 03:08 PM

Well, in the interest of safely dealing with spy drones you should buy one.
Then..... I have some doubt that you are really concerned with safety, Joe. It's that pic of your 'sikle that gave me a clue..........I do some off-road riding, but was always skeptical about doing it on streets and highways.
It's like, ''tough biker'' is aka ''organ donor.'' [&o]
I started out hill climbing on a built and stretched bulltaco 250 at strip mines 20 miles south of me at 15 then built and raced a shovster at the dragstrip ( shovel heads sporster bottom half) Gave the broken bones when my kids came along but they are grown and gone now so the company i work for bought me the 97 roadking as a bonus in 98 . I ride it in the country on weekends when hardly no traffic is out and drive other toys during the week. No not worried about drone flyers saftey but dont want them hovering around my house either ,or causing trouble for my hobby.Not worried about a thief's saftey either if he is stupid enough to put his foot in my front door. :D joe

GerKonig 02-22-2013 06:13 PM

Link to interesting article. In Texas, earlier this year a kid (student) landing this full size aircraft did hit a drone.

http://www.aopa.org/training/article...&cmp=ePlt:RdMr

Sent today by the AOPA. It had a lucky ending, but it could also not been hat happy...

Gerry

cj_rumley 02-22-2013 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Link to interesting article. In Texas, earlier this year a kid (student) landing this full size aircraft did hit a drone.

Sent today by the AOPA. It had a lucky ending, but it could also not been hat happy...

Gerry
A drone sport utility vehicle??? Wonder what's next..........

littlecrankshaf 02-22-2013 07:16 PM

Looked like a Volvo to me...I always knew them Volvos were dangerous!!!

littlecrankshaf 02-22-2013 07:37 PM

a little better video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BcwITaUDw0

cj_rumley 02-22-2013 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Looked like a Volvo to me...I always knew them Volvos were dangerous!!!
You must be older than me. Didn't provoke thoughts of danger............. my first mental image was of backseat sports without having to get off the highway.;)

GerKonig 02-23-2013 08:08 AM

Gerry
A drone sport utility vehicle??? Wonder what's next..........

Well, honestly, it was a poor attempt to make a joke, since the acronyms are so close:-)

It really might have been a devious Volvo, they are nasty in the wild. Good thing it was not a convertible. You have to admit, the timing was impeccable:-)

Gerry

cj_rumley 02-23-2013 11:24 AM

Well, honestly, it was a poor attempt to make a joke, since the acronyms are so close:-)

It really might have been a devious Volvo, they are nasty in the wild. Good thing it was not a convertible. You have to admit, the timing was impeccable:-)

Gerry
Well you made me look. :)

From the pic of the Cessna's mangled prop, first thought was "that must have been one big honkin' drone."

jollyroger 03-01-2013 10:47 AM

Since I haven't read through the entire 13 pages of this thread, I believe there needs to be a clarification as to what actually and technically constitutes a drone and how the FAA along with the AMA arrive at a proper answer to this matter. Then proceed with matters involved.
As I see it a drone is an aircraft operated remotely at either close or extreme range, past line of sight, for purposes other than hobby or commercial. This would also include autonomous operation as well. Colleges and universities use drones for a variety of scientific related issues. For instance, up here in Northern Michigan, one of the colleges was using a drone to track water depth and quality as well as other related issues. This was not a flight drone but a surface running version. They might also use drones for collecting air quality data or solar monitoring; wildlife monitoring or any other biological, geophysical observation.
We know how the military uses drones but what do we know about the intents and purposes of the use of drones by law enforcement? To this point, states and municipalities are beginning to realize the effect it will have on privacy and are now in the process of hammering out bills to either put limitations on their use or outright bans.
So when does a typical RC plane become a drone? Is it because it has a camera or because it is remotely piloted through the use of virtual monitoring past line-of-sight? Installing a camera, whether still or video does not necessarily make it a drone but it seems that when you add the technology to enable to fly it over horizon with the aid of GPS and or computer or direct video feed for any purpose even just for grins and giggles, then one would have to take the view that the vehicle being flown is a drone.
The fact is the government plans to place as many as thirty thousand drones into the airspace above the nation should raise alarms to all of us who value freedom and liberty. Drones will become a major industry soon and of course along with it are the sweetheart deals with the government. One further scenario that has been cropping up in the alternate media is the possibility of fully armed drones being used within our own borders. Before anyone says B.S., let me remind you of how far things have gone in the past ten years, how fast the acceleration towards a full out, no holds barred police state has taken place in our face.
We are, for the time being, still able to fly our model planes without harassment from either the government or local law enforcement but does that mean it will stay this way in the future? Make no mistake about it: whistle blowers from various federal agencies including the FBI, NSA and CIA all have stated that Martial Law is coming to America, whether you want to believe it or not, whether you are willing to accept it or not, it is coming. When that happens, then you can kiss your right to fly RC planes goodbye. Don't forget, in the old Soviet Union, radio controlled model planes were banned outright. I hate to sound alarmist but people need to wake up and look around them and consider all that has happened.
So enjoy this hobby while you still can and don't get all worked up about the use of drones within our hobby.....it's not that important in the grand scheme of things and if you really have a use for such then I guess you will have to work with those that control the airspace above us, just as any private, commercial or military pilot would have to do.

phlpsfrnk 03-01-2013 11:01 AM

Gerry
That was an SUV (Auto) not a UAV (Drone) that was hit. The SUV was crossing in front of the threshold without stopping for approaching traffic, probably on her cell phone texting.

Regards
Frank

cfircav8r 03-01-2013 03:59 PM

It was a woman driving? That means it was a drone (unMANned vehicle.):D

cfircav8r 03-01-2013 04:01 PM

Duplicate (Stupid server error)[:@]

phlpsfrnk 03-04-2013 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

It was a woman driving? That means it was a drone (unMANned vehicle.):D
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Regards
Frank

corch 03-05-2013 07:28 AM

Nothing wrong here. Move along good citizens...<div></div><div>http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...t-jfk/1964311/

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Unmanned-Aircraft-John-F-Kennedy-Airport-New-York-FAA-Investigating-195125251.html</div>

bradpaul 03-05-2013 08:20 AM

Two comments from the article, the pilot was at 1500 ft when he saw the drone and the comment that some have seen "kids flying model planes in the area".

Brad<br type="_moz" />

Luchnia 03-05-2013 09:59 AM

Interesting that the city of Charlottesville, VA has now become drone free:

While the debate over the use of drones overseas plays out in Washington, some groups in the U.S. are pushing for action on the local level. On Monday, the city of Charlotteville, VA became the first municipality in the country to pass legislation restricting the use of drones:

(Bolding is my emphasis)

Do a google search for Charlottesville, VA drone free and you will see all sorts of goodies.

bradpaul 03-05-2013 11:30 AM

The description appears to be of a four rotor heli about three feet in diameter.<div>
</div><div>So some idiot was flying hiw quadcopter at 1500 feet in the landing approach to JFK............... We are our own worst enemy.</div><div>
</div><div><span style="font-family: '.HelveticaNeueUI'; font-size: 15px; line-height: 19px; white-space: nowrap; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/05/fbi-investigating-report-of-possible-drone-spotted-near-jfk/</span></div><div><span style="font-family: '.HelveticaNeueUI'; font-size: 15px; line-height: 19px; white-space: nowrap; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-family: '.HelveticaNeueUI'; font-size: 15px; line-height: 19px; white-space: nowrap; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); ">Brad</span></div>

Sport_Pilot 03-05-2013 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

The description appears to be of a four rotor heli about three feet in diameter.<div>
</div><div>So some idiot was flying hiw quadcopter at 1500 feet in the landing approach to JFK............... We are our own worst enemy.</div><div>
</div><div><span style="line-height: 19px; font-family: '.HelveticaNeueUI'; white-space: nowrap; font-size: 15px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469)">http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/05/fbi-investigating-report-of-possible-drone-spotted-near-jfk/</span></div><div><span style="line-height: 19px; font-family: '.HelveticaNeueUI'; white-space: nowrap; font-size: 15px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469)">
</span></div><div><span style="line-height: 19px; font-family: '.HelveticaNeueUI'; white-space: nowrap; font-size: 15px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469)">Brad</span></div>

Unless this is a restricted area the pilot of an RC aircraft would be legit. This was5 or6 miles from the airport. The pilot said it was 3 feet wide, though I do not understand why he can accurately describe the size of a small model or other UAV.

cj_rumley 03-05-2013 12:50 PM

Unless this is a restricted area the pilot of an RC aircraft would be legit. This was 5 or 6 miles from the airport. The pilot said it was 3 feet wide, though I do not understand why he can accurately describe the size of a small model or other UAV.
He would be legit according to AMA but not FAA.

This could become the test case where we learn that when an AC has been incorporated by reference into regulatory material, compliance with its restrictions is no longer voluntary.

Sport_Pilot 03-05-2013 12:58 PM

Unless this is a restricted area the pilot of an RC aircraft would be legit. This was5 or6 miles from the airport. The pilot said it was 3 feet wide, though I do not understand why he can accurately describe the size of a small model or other UAV.
He would be legit according to AMA but not FAA.

This could become the test case where we learn that when an AC has been incorporated by reference into regulatory material, compliance with its restrictions is no longer voluntary.

Incorparated by reference does not make the AC non voluntary, except to the extent that regulation or policy has done so. To my knowledge the only way that was done was toward sUAV's so it only applies to sUAV's. Which would apply here if this is a sUAV and not a model airplane. A sUAV may not be as capable to see and avoid as a model airplane. Of course this could be restricted airspace which is all over NYC. I believe there is a model flying site at an abandoned NAS not for from JFK but may be further than 5 or 6 miles. I believe this is Bennent Field?